• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exoprimal | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

Key-Art-for-Wire-Blog-de896dc68b542913cccd.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Exoprimal
Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Jul 14, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jul 14, 2023)
  • PC (Jul 14, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jul 14, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Jul 14, 2023)
Trailers:
Publisher: Capcom

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - NA

MetaCritic - NA

Critic Reviews​

Press Start - James Mitchell - 8 / 10
Exoprimal earnestly attempts to bring together engaging single-player style encounters that Capcom is known for with an unexpectedly solid multiplayer offering reminiscent of games like Lost Planet. It's a joy to play and a great melding of PvP and PvE elements. While it's a shame that what it has to offer is dealt to players so opaquely, Exoprimal is a pleasant surprise that's well worth a look and not to be underestimated.
The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 6 / 10
While it does contain some satisfying combat and runs remarkably well online for PC, Exoprimal’s repetitive gameplay loop starts to lose steam quicker than green grass through a goose.
XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 7.5 / 10
Exoprimal is a solid foundation. What is here now will be fun for a month or two, and Capcom will need to show that they can back up what sounds like a solid live service plan. It is available for $60 or on Game Pass for both console and PC. Solo or with friends it is a hell of a lot of fun, and an easy recommendation to at least give it a try.
Gamereactor UK - 6.0/10.0
Exoprimal is by no means a terrible game, but it just doesn't reach the heights that you'd expect when you hear about its premise. It's a mixed bag, but if you are looking for a new multiplayer experience and can withstand the Dino Survival mode, perhaps it's the game for you
GameGrin - 6.5/10.0
As a whole package, I found myself having fun with Exoprimal, but the harsh lack of content and weak progression systems really hold it back. It has potential, and maybe a fantastic game later on, but right now it's difficult to justify the price tag.
Finger Guns - 7.0/10.0
Held up by its superb class system and the intrinsic elation that comes with melting prehistoric lizards with a railgun, Exoprimal is unfortunately let down by a lacklustre story offering, anemic number of modes and a question over its longevity. While those drawbacks will put some people off, those fond of firing a grenade right up a Stegosaurus’ hide will be laughing long into their dozens of hours of playtime.
Eurogamer Germany - 8.0/10.0
Exoprimal is a relaxed cooperative PvE action that generates a lot of momentum through indirect competition with an opposing team. Especially when you coordinate with up to four friends, it's surprisingly entertaining - much more entertaining than the pictures and videos with thousands of dinosaurs in front of rather functional backdrops would sugges

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Thanks Drau for the thread !

In other news, there's 4-5 threads for Exoprimal and it's kinda tiresome to write one's opinions between all of 'em.

Anyway, I already said in another thread that Capcom is being tone-deaf with this especially when it comes.to pricing, other than that though it's a more than OK game where you can have fun if you like mechs, non stop action and playing with others.

A metacritic of 6.5 sounds normal/good to me

Fbh

I hope they add a proper PVE only mode so it's not 100% dead when the playerbase completely banishes in like 4-5 months.

I'd always have been way more interested in this if it was more like EDF

Bridges

I hope they add a proper PVE only mode so it's not 100% dead when the playerbase completely banishes in like 4-5 months.

I'd always have been way more interested in this if it was more like EDF
They're adding the non-competitive PvE missions on the 28th this month.

The foundation here is surprisingly solid. The game seems very repetitive but it does drip feed new scenarios to you the longer you play it. It's in a pretty similar state to most service games when they launch (except this isn't broken like they usually are). The question is going to be if it lasts long enough to get the meaningful content additions it needs.

They have a roadmap out for three seasons, I'm very curious what happens after that, but I'll be playing it. It's good fun if you've got buddies.

VN1X

Banned
The double-whammy. Earlies pay the highest price, then it becomes f2p.
It's just such a shame because I believe it would've fostered a community for much longer if it didn't have such a steep price to begin with.

I made the same mistake with Battleborn, Battalion 1945, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, etc and so I can't stomache buying into another multiplayer-only title that will be forgotten in two months.

It's just such a shame because I believe it would've fostered a community for much longer if it didn't have such a steep price to begin with.

I made the same mistake with Battleborn, Battalion 1945, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, etc and so I can't stomache buying into another multiplayer-only title that will be forgotten in two months.
The reason I'm so against GaaS, is Destiny 2. I was a straight up addict to the game. Just a little longer and I'll have Not Forgotten. Just another Strike and I can hopefully get an ascendent shard. Took forever for me to break away from that shit that kept me away from a ton of other amazing games.

Never again.

KAOS

Glad it's on GP! These GAS projects should be free to play. The Game is fun!!! It has that old school charm of a Sega Dreamcast game like Virtua On, Outtriger and Alien Front Online. They should make it free to play like Naraka.

Bubblegum Dino Crisis indeed!

havoc00

I actually like the pvp at the end just #rekt the other team earlier was on a spree. The loop will get old after awhile

The reason I'm so against GaaS, is Destiny 2. I was a straight up addict to the game. Just a little longer and I'll have Not Forgotten. Just another Strike and I can hopefully get an ascendent shard. Took forever for me to break away from that shit that kept me away from a ton of other amazing games.

Never again.
A final review score should be up by wednesday.

Probably around 59 by the looks of it.
I did hope for a 69 tho.

As someone who actually played the game through game pass. I quite like it. I have put in around 25 hours. Finished the campaign and did the final raid encounter against Leviathan piloting Behemoth. If they go for harder content like the 10-man raids or later encounters in the Savage Gauntlet, then I'm all game with this.

Oh, and fuck Murasame players not playing it as a Tank. Do your job, you nut cases! You have good DPS but you aren't a DPS. Use your fucking taunt!

//DEVIL//

If this had a story mode alongside the multiplayer, then yeah I would have been interested to try it. but to spend money on a game like that... eh no. Should have been free to play like most successful GAAS games.

SkylineRKR

So its about as mediocre as this game was destined to be. This was always going to be dead on arrival. Games like this lack substance, if it had an engaging campaign it would've been received much different and people might've had no issues paying money for this game. But instead they are released in bare bones state and because of this usually die out before the first expansion hits. See Rainbow Six Extraction for example.

Draugoth

Gold Member
So its about as mediocre as this game was destined to be. This was always going to be dead on arrival. Games like this lack substance, if it had an engaging campaign it would've been received much different and people might've had no issues paying money for this game. But instead they are released in bare bones state and because of this usually die out before the first expansion hits. See Rainbow Six Extraction for example.

Dino Crisis remake died for this

Dino Crisis remake died for this
I wouldn't straight up accuse this game of taking Dino Crisis' spot in the limelight just now. I do think this game might be Capcom dipping their toes to see if there is high enough interest in a Dino Crisis remake. Another thing, there is a chance Capcom is testing their technology with this game with things like dino hordes and whatnot to make a possible sequel to Dino Crisis. This doesn't come from me or any reliable source that I know of, but I've heard there will be a bridge between what happened in Dino Crisis 3 and Exoprimal, ever the game will eventually feature a collab of sorts with the IP, which I highly doubt.

I want a reboot to Dino Crisis as any long time fan but I don't get the impression Dino Crisis died so this could live. I'm more than hopeful they reboot the IP.

Last edited:
The PvP challenge at the end can actually get really intense. I've had a few really close matches. That's where the game shines for me right now.
I just don't like that for the sake of a close match there is a catch-up mechanic where Leviathan summons a neo triggersaurus, which is a single dinosaur that skips the whole stage for you to progress faster and get close to the enemy team. I had a match where my team was dragging their feet while I was playing Nimbus for healing. The enemy team decided to have their Deadeye and Roadblock all times on me while my team was dying because I couldn't heal them consistently. It was my worst game by far and I didn't get to see that the triggersaurus anymore.

And yes, it can get pretty intense sometimes when both teams meet at the final stage.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd be surprised if this MP game took off.

That's not to say sci-fi shooters involving mechs or futuristic stuff cant succeed. Warframe and Destiny seem to have a following. But it sure seems pretty hard when the biggest played games are either military games or the big bright Overwatch/Fortnite kind of game. I dont think a game involving sci-fi and shooting dinosaurs setting is one the average shooter fan will care about.

Top Bottom