• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EyeToy is a work of freaking genius. Fashionably late to the party.

Picked up SEGA Superstarts with the EyeToy today for £20. :D
12 minigames and a USB camera for £20 isn't bad!

Sonic - like the old running-down-a-tube bonus stages. Point where you want Sonic to run... collect rings and emeralds, avoid spike bombs. It's an effective demonstration, but I personally found it a bit nausiating watching Sonic dash in front of me at silly speed while I'm faintly layered over the top of it all waving my arms. First game I played, and I drew the curtains closed straight away. Not the best.

Samba De Amigo - Freaking awesome. I find myself actually clenching my fists as though I'm holding maracas in them. Decent amount of songs for a minigame too!

Crazy Taxi - Haven't played it yet.

Virtua Fighter - too simple on Easy. Just point / punch / flail-your-arms out at a target on the opposing fighter, and move your arms to certain areas to block as well. Getting a combo or avoiding a counter attack is surprisingly satisfying. It might just be a novelty to see yourself fighting these guys, but its fun while its lasting!

Virtua Soccer - head, kick, punch or generally flail your limbs and torso towards falling footballs to send them in the direction of some balloons of various sizes. Resulting points vary depending on the size of the balloon, the difficulty in hitting the target, and if you get more than one balloon at once.. The balloons move on harder difficulties. Colour my dad impressed :p

Chu Chu Rocket - Haven't played it yet.

Billy Hatcher - Haven't played it yet.

House of the Dead - smack zombies off the screen, don't smack maidens or you'll get a smack yourself. Don't attack bosses unless their weak point is showing. Not the best.

Puyo Pop Fever - Haven't played it yet.

Super Monkey Ball - stretch your arms out in airplane stance and move the world (and a monkey in a ball) with your arms. Not as sweet as the real thing, but still pretty sweet.

NiGHTS - Controls as Monkey Ball does, but sweet god, this actually works incredibly well with the EyeToy. And it's probably doing my arms some good keeping em up in the air all the time. Net result - anticipation for new NiGHTS games increased.

Space Channel 5 - Ulala! One of the tougher ones to master... Between this Samba and NiGHTS? For this price? Satisfied customer!

Anyone played/liked any of the other EyeToy games/apps?
And when is Singstar 80s out?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Played the original eyetoy, found it to be the most intoxicatingly refreshing and novel game experience I've had in a LONG time. But I don't play much at all anymore. Really great party game though. Might have to check out the Sega one..

Ponn

Banned
Holy shit dude you are late to the party, but welcome anyways. The Nights game was freaking awesome and the Puyo Pop game really showed how accurate the Eyetoy could be. The crazy taxi game though was so beyond belief stupid and the space channel five one was not very accurate. On the Virtua Fighter game we were messing around and had someone walk through the background kind of like calling an ally in Marvel Vs. Capcom and it actually worked and looked funny as shit on the screen.

I'm pretty hyped to see what the next eyetoy is capable of with all the features and HD stuff they are spouting. The whole physics demonstration they showed with it at E3 with the glasses and water was amazing and I suggest people to watch it. I also want to see how that Eyedentity game turns out with you in the game and how realistic you actually interact with the characters.

acidviper

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Picked up SEGA Superstarts with the EyeToy today for £20. :D
12 minigames and a USB camera for £20 isn't bad!

It isn't good either. Nobody supports this piece of crap because you need industrial strength lighting and to change your tv image such that things are no longer visible.

Eyetoy is one of the greatest under rated achievements of this generation. It literally changes the way you play your games at home. Unfortunately Anti-Grav is the only game that really illustrates this point. Most of the other titles are "Whoop-de-doo! I'm on my TEEVEE hur hur hur" :/

I really hope Eyetoy 2 has better image resolution and detection to allow for more cool Anti Grav like games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
..and I'm still interested in picking up Antigrav if SCEA ever thinks to unbundle it from the camera...

It isn't good either. Nobody supports this piece of crap because you need industrial strength lighting and to change your tv image such that things are no longer visible.
I don't know what qualifies as "industrial strength lighting" in your mind but I don't think I have anything of the sort in my living room and Eyetoy works fine under the conditions provided and with adjustments to my TV image either. Maybe you should think about turning on *a* light :p

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Cameras as control interfaces are very clever; EyeToy wasn't the first to do it, however. Though, Sony made it very marketable.

Agent X

kaching said:
..and I'm still interested in picking up Antigrav if SCEA ever thinks to unbundle it from the camera...

I agree.

It looks like SCEA is following the same plan for EyeToy: Play 2, where it will only be sold with the camera. That's a shame, as I really don't want to pay extra for an additional EyeToy camera when I've got a perfectly functioning one already.

If they must do it this way (to try to entice more EyeToy sales from people who don't already have one), then sell the game and camera together for the first month, and after that sell the game standalone at a reduced price. Sony already offers a standalone EyeToy package (with no game included), so it shouldn't be too much to ask for them to unbundle the games as well.

kaching said:
I don't know what qualifies as "industrial strength lighting" in your mind but I don't think I have anything of the sort in my living room and Eyetoy works fine under the conditions provided and with adjustments to my TV image either. Maybe you should think about turning on *a* light :p

Same here. I've had no problems with the EyeToy while using typical room lighting.

ram

the best of the minigame collections is actually eyetoy: play 2 - the "burger king" game is just awesome. lucky european, here we get all new games also as standalone editions for a budget price.

Radius

I wouldn't consider 40€ a budget price. It's the reason why I still haven't bought AntiGrav and given the tiny single player replay value ET: Play 1 & 2 had (though 2 was far more enjoyable) I doubt I'll get Eye Toy: Play 3 until its Platinum release. Still, ET: Kinetics is a must have for me.

User 406

Banned
Yeah, Antigrav is awesome, but I've been putting off getting it because of the camera bundle as well. I did manage to find a used copy at Record Exchange without the camera for $20, but it was a bit scratched, so I passed on it. Besides, I need to fully rehabilitate my knees before I tackle it. :p

Matlock

Banned
Just a heads up, but I should hopefully be able to get Eyetoy Play 2 impressions out to you guys before release. :)

Zeo

Banned
acidviper said:

Completely flatout wrong.

Top Bottom