• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook users saw different Straight Outta Compton trailers depending on their race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Universal Pictures and Facebook teamed up to create custom trailers for white audiences to promote the N.W.A. film Straight Outta Compton, scrubbing any mention of the rap group and instead focusing on the rise of Ice Cube and Dr. Dre. Universal marketing chief Doug Neil and Jim Underwood, Facebook's head of entertainment, discussed the partnership on a SXSW today in Austin and described the film's success as a victory for race-specific marketing, according to Business Insider.

The reasoning behind showing white Facebook users a different trailer was the demographic's lack of expertise on rap history, according to Neil. "They connected to Ice Cube as an actor and Dr. Dre as the face of Beats," he said, using the phrase "general population" when speaking about non-African American and non-Hispanic viewers. So Universal's "multicultural team," as it's called, worked with the social network to cut and serve a unique trailer that would detail the two men's rise without tying it to N.W.A. The trailer shown to African American Facebook users, Neil added, opened with the word N.W.A. and prominently highlighted the group's Compton beginnings. "They put Compton on the map," he said. Universal also showed a special trailer to Hispanic Facebook users that displayed words in Spanish on the screen.

Facebook's ability to do targeted marketing and Universal's willingness to use it shows just how filtered the social network can become as a source of information and even entertainment. We also don't know how else and for how long Facebook has been doing this type of a race-specific ad targeting. The company was not immediately available for comment.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/17/11257984/facebook-straight-outta-compton-race-specific-trailer

I don't know how I feel about this one. I know if you watch something like BET you see commercials specific to their target audience, but Facebook using this technology for race-specific ad targeting? That is some scary shit.

WillyFive

This is a rather ingenious way of getting around the racial divide in the country and how white viewers tend to avoid films with black leads "as they are not for them".

Lime

Metrics/ research is where facebook and google get all their money, right?

Yeah users are basically harvested and their data sold. There is an interesting argument to be made that users are basically and technically providing free labor for Facebook and Google and the others (Christian Fuchs)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I dunno... wasn't there a time when white people were the biggest nerds of rap and rap history?

Maybe that's just older millennials and generation X. I guess kids today are more into EDM and I could see over 50s not ever knowing about rap.

I would think age would play a bigger role than race. I could see them targeting groups based on age as say those under 30 might know Ice Cube more as an actor than associated with NWA.

entremet

Reminds me of when certain providers skipped season 2 of the Wire.

Wow, really?

I loved Season 2. It was confusing at first, but it really earned it's place telling the whole urban degradation story. This time focusing on the dying blue collar sector.

Kaladin

When you think about it, how does Facebook get your race?

Do they analyze your picture?

I don't think Facebook asks that.

And to think, the Atlanta Hawks owner willingly resigned for merely suggesting that race-based marketing should be a thing for his team.

Using big data, you can determine just about any useful demographic information about someone based solely on their social media interactions.

Reminds me of when certain providers skipped season 2 of the Wire.

The season about the docks and mafia? Why?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Putting aside facial analyzation, I bet they can absolutely (and tragically) guess that based on what you've liked and who you are friends with.

Breads

Banned
I mean this movie was a massive success and made 205 millions if data shows people of this group responded better to this isn't that smart marketing..?

All I'm saying is maybe their research has shown that targeted ads are effective and this could be seen as a proof of concept.

While this seems controversial because it's a new way of marketing and uncharted territory and all that, it seems like a pretty logical continuation of airing certain commercials on certain channels because those channels are viewed by certain demographics. It's a staple of the advertising industry, and they do it because it works.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm not really seeing any problem with this. Do you think advertisers make ads the exact same way or advertise the exact same product that they would show for Nascar vs the NBA? Target audiences and all that.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
a victory for race-specific marketing

Wow. I read like three different Donald Trump stories today including one literally involving both the KKK and Hitler, and this might be the grossest thing I've seen.

Not surprising in the least. Advertisers always want to craft specific messages for different audience. I'd imagine this kind of practice will only get more widespread as big data continues to grow.

I'm okay with this in so far as I'm okay with Coke running one ad campaign in primarily black neighborhoods and another in primarily Asian neighborhoods and another in primarily white neighborhoods. This is the digitization of target advertising, which has existed since almost as long as advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom