• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook users saw different Straight Outta Compton trailers depending on their race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm okay with this in so far as I'm okay with Coke running one ad campaign in primarily black neighborhoods and another in primarily Asian neighborhoods and another in primarily white neighborhoods. This is the digitization of target advertising, which has existed since almost as long as advertising.
I've heard McDonalds radio commercials targeting Urban populations that sound racist as fuck.

ChrisD

Don't agree with that at all. Everyone is seeing the same movie, there is nothing TO separate and put a spotlight on like with other targeted ads (thinking food ads since it's in the mind after reading the post a few above mine).

Clarification: yes, I read what was written and I understand what they're thinking from a data standpoint. But it just seems off and, repeating, I don't agree with it.

Makes little sense. They care if they go see the movie and feel they don't know rap

But who cares if they don't know rap and watch a movie about it.

If they really cared they wouldn't advertise to them at all in that situation.

Business is business.. Only care about the money.

I would imagine lots of blacks and whites would like the movie and know little about nwa

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
reminds when companies would make commercials for BET. And they felt extra corny.

not just BET

any time you had a "black show" on the air (back when they used to actually make shows with black people on network TV), you would always get the commercials with black people in them. Across the board. The car commercials suddenly had black people, the McDonalds commercials suddenly had black people, etc.

Fuck outta here, there's a vitalism-like scenario for the human race.

After all, that has to be true. I mean, our society is designed in such a way, so it must be true.

I was just saying we are all ONE despite our differences.

And please talk to me like that. Thank you.

Not surprising, curated content will do more harm in the long run though.

For example, results from Google are curated with a combination of factors including your local region, when you can search for political issues/information for example you can get different results than others, based on what their system *thinks* you should be delivered based on your habits Google knows about you. That goes for everything, Google results and advertising are not universal for everyone and can vary from an individual's habits, to their local region habits, etc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have multiple friends who are black.

Does that mean I'm black?

You'd be disqualified as being black if you've also "liked" Portlandia.

Just pulling a totally adorkable, mostly-white show from memory. I'm sure there are black people who like that show.

But I'm sure there are multiple characteristics that determine with some certainty one's race, and big data knows it. Obviously race actually has nothing to do with our preferences, but it's a cultural marker... and it will be a thing where if you like this show, this public figure, click on these links, and have these friends, you are 98% certain to be Asian or whatever

not just BET

any time you had a "black show" on the air (back when they used to actually make shows with black people on network TV), you would always get the commercials with black people in them. Across the board. The car commercials suddenly had black people, the McDonalds commercials suddenly had black people, etc.

Soul Train was notorious for all this.

Where else would you see Stay Soft Fro ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom