• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 76 on PS4 is so bad that I don't even feel like making a catchy title for this thread

Grinchy

Banned
My brother decided he wanted us to play a new online game together as we don't get to play much these days. He bought 2 copies of Fallout 76 and sent one my way.

I knew that people were hating on the game for a long time, but I thought, "Hey I liked Fallout 4. How bad can it really be?"

It's worse than I could have expected. And this is with the newest content in this Wastelanders update. It's so fucking bad. We played 60+ hours of Division 2 after having zero expectations. We are like level 7 or 8 in this game and ready to flush it.

• The game runs at what feels like 22fps at all times. It is so choppy at all times and in every area, with some areas being more choppy than the better performing choppy areas.
  • There is an insane amount of input lag to go along with the low framerate.
  • The FOV is awfully low
  • Now you have a combination of feeling boxed in, with the camera not moving until well after you pressed the joystick, and the game chugging in its struggle to render anything on the screen.
  • The AI is completely brain-dead. Nothing is fun to fight and fights in general just feel like shit anyway because of the previous points.
  • If you play with someone else, you have to each help each other and then make the other person party leader and re-do the quest a 2nd time so both of you get credit.
  • The audio is terrible, with audio bugs and bad situations where it just stacks too many audio files at the same time
    • Long as fuck holotapes will play endlessly while other NPCs are talking, a jukebox blares bad music, and the person you're playing with is talking on the mic. It's like an instant migraine
  • And probably much more!

I keep thinking I want to hop into it on PC but I need a really low price point. I've been replaying 4 recently and it's given me the itch for more especially in a setting I haven't explored.

Inviusx

My brother decided he wanted us to play a new online game together as we don't get to play much these days. He bought 2 copies of Fallout 76 and sent one my way.

I knew that people were hating on the game for a long time, but I thought, "Hey I liked Fallout 4. How bad can it really be?"

It's worse than I could have expected. And this is with the newest content in this Wastelanders update. It's so fucking bad. We played 60+ hours of Division 2 after having zero expectations. We are like level 7 or 8 in this game and ready to flush it.

• The game runs at what feels like 22fps at all times. It is so choppy at all times and in every area, with some areas being more choppy than the better performing choppy areas.
  • The FOV is awfully low
  • Now you have a combination of feeling boxed in, with the camera not moving until well after you pressed the joystick, and the game chugging in its struggle to render anything on the screen.
  • The AI is completely brain-dead. Nothing is fun to fight and fights in general just feel like shit anyway because of the previous points.
  • If you play with someone else, you have to each help each other and then make the other person party leader and re-do the quest a 2nd time so both of you get credit.
  • The audio is terrible, with audio bugs and bad situations where it just stacks too many audio files at the same time
    • Long as fuck holotapes will play endlessly while other NPCs are talking, a jukebox blares bad music, and the person you're playing with is talking on the mic. It's like an instant migraine

I'm probably the last remaining 76 fan on gaf but I'm not going to dispute anything you've said here, it's all pretty much true. I'm coming up in 400 hours played and still going strong.

Reactions: Isa
I don't want to be that guy, but all the signs were there right in front of you. Isn't fallout 4 a shit show on ps4 already?

I might buy fallout 76 on pc, steam version only and heavily discounted. I enjoyed fallout 4 despite being a shitty game.

Max_Po

Banned
not surprised, Fallout 4 started out the same on base PS4. Even giving these turds-level developers more power didn't fix... The game (Fallout 4) is still nothing to brag about on PS4 Pro. The problem is definitely Bethesda.

The Shepard

Glad you wrote this as I was thinking of jumping in, there's to many good games out to justify it now. Will save my time for something better.

I won't defend the PS4 version, but I got the PC version for $10 with the Steam transfer and the game seems fine for the few hours I have played it. Performance on PC is much better than the beta I tried. I'm treating it like a Fallout 4 expansion.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I won't defend the PS4 version, but I got the PC version for $10 with the Steam transfer and the game seems fine for the few hours I have played it. Performance on PC is much better than the beta I tried. I'm treating it like a Fallout 4 expansion.
Yeah I played Fallout 4 on PC and liked it a lot. Survival mode made it even better.

I may have liked this better on PC where it felt playable.

D.Final

Banned

• The FOV is awfully low

Well...

Bethesda games in general are much worse on consoles due to worse performance and no access to console commands. As much as I loved playing Morrowind on Xbox, switching to the PC version was a completely different and eye-opening experience. Console commands literally saved my New Vegas run from being bricked.

As for 76, I've been playing on and off since launch (on PC, of course) and I'm still digging it. New update is still a bit buggy but, again, that's just something I've come to expect from Bethesda games.

Grinchy

Banned
Bethesda games in general are much worse on consoles due to worse performance and no access to console commands. As much as I loved playing Morrowind on Xbox, switching to the PC version was a completely different and eye-opening experience. Console commands literally saved my New Vegas run from being bricked.

As for 76, I've been playing on and off since launch (on PC, of course) and I'm still digging it. New update is still a bit buggy but, again, that's just something I've come to expect from Bethesda games.
The last one I played was Fallout 3 on PS3. New Vegas, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 I played max'd out on PC. Yeah, it's a much better experience that way.

I just never really expected the performance to be this bad on PS4 for Fallout 76. I thought maybe some framerate dips here or there and some mildly long loads, but instead it's a chuggy framerate literally everywhere you go on top of extremely long loads. The game is so ugly and runs so horribly that I can't believe they released it like this. They should have toned the awful visuals down even more to get it functionally playable.

Last edited:

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Never had as many server disconnects and crashes from any other PS4 game. There were sparks of potential, exploring the world and hearing bursts of gunfire in the distance got the juices going, but every time I'd get into it I'd get booted for one reason or another. The graphics were also a muddy mess, probably the ugliest I've seen on ps4. Bought it on sale and still felt ripped off, although I hear the game has improved over the last year.

Kev Kev

its a fucking shame man, i really liked fallout 4. probably put a good 500 hours into that game since it's release, and im still finding ways to enjoy it. hell i might fire it up tonite

so, i thought the same thing you did about how it couldnt be that bad

holy fuck was i wrong.... either way, i still managed to dump 30 hours into it and have sort of a good time just playing solo and avoiding any online shit, but the trashyness of the game caught up and i couldnt take it anymore. sucks to hear the recent updates havent changed it into anything playable.

seriously has me worried for TES VI

Romulus

I had patches of fun playing coop but it just felt unfinished, even after the wasteland update. Deleted it.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad

It kinda blows my mind that big budget games are released like this today. Beyond sad!

abba-money.gif

cormack12

Gold Member
They havent done a good job of actually pushing this game, no idea what you even do. I do know all about the controversial stuff like pvp though.

Top Bottom