• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 29, 2023 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

Woopah

Software
  1. [NSW] Pikmin 4 – 401,853 / NEW
  2. [NSW] Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – 15,616 / 1,775,035
  3. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 10,749 / 5,385,022
  4. [NSW] Nobunaga's Ambition: Awakening – 10,633 / NEW
  5. [PS4] Nobunaga's Ambition: Awakening – 10,434 / NEW
  6. [NSW] Minecraft – 7,512 / 3,200,000
  7. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 6,337 / 4,066,350
  8. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 5,784 / 1,131,645
  9. [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI – 4,904 / 401,376
  10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 4,844 / 5,239,500

Hardware

Switch - 71,180
PS5 - 46,561
PS4 - 4,309
XBS - 1,158
3DS - 22

By SKU:
  • Switch OLED – 47,940
  • PS5 – 42,967
  • Switch – 14,815
  • Switch Lite – 8,425
  • PS4 – 4,309
  • PS5 Digital Edition – 3,594
  • Xbox Series X – 1,078
  • Xbox Series S – 80
  • New 2DS LL – 22

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Those 30 million Switches helped.
Sure, but it's fair play to just notice the trend. FF used to drive system adoption since PS1, not the other way around. And it's fair to wonder about their system strategy. FF could be exclusive to Nintendo if they wanted, like they were on 1-6.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did some FFXVI Pocket Edition for Switch honestly, like they did for XV.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
PS5 is doing much better hardware-wise in its third year than the Vita or PSP did in their third year. So its not really down to portability. Third parties can learn from the way Nintnedo have built up their brands in Japan.
doesnt seem to be alot of software sales though, somethings wrong here?

Woopah

doesnt seem to be alot of software sales though, somethings wrong here?
The brands that PlayStation has tradionally relied on (FF, DQ, MH, KH) have either declined or gone to other platforms. The PS ecosystem has had some new successes in recent years with GoT, Elden Ring and Hogwarts, they just need more things like that.

ahtlas7

Nintendo is on
Awesome Design GIF by SamuelC

Saber

Gold Member
I'm just happy for Pikimin. It isn't a blockbuster series and its considered by some a bit of outdated. I love the series, so its great to see it selling so well.

Reactions: KU_
Nintendo wants people to move their NSO accounts to the new console, so I reckon it will have BC.
I'm not convinced, tbh, other than that generic statement there's no further communication to reassure fans that their Switch library will indeed carry over onto the next-gen Nintendo hardware. Hope I'm wrong here, but I just don't trust Nintendo's coyness on this, especially if the rumor mill is right and Switch 2 is releasing early next year. MVG did a interesting opinion piece here on the technical hurdles that Nintendo might be dealing with this in order to provide BC.

Switchland going strong. People complaining or mocking for Pikmin 4 outselling Final Fantasy XVI, you need to understand that Japan is a portable/mobile gaming centered market for more than 10+ years, with the exception of Nintendo consoles.

Woopah

I'm not convinced, tbh, other than that generic statement there's no further communication to reassure fans that their Switch library will indeed carry over onto the next-gen Nintendo hardware. Hope I'm wrong here, but I just don't trust Nintendo's coyness on this, especially if the rumor mill is right and Switch 2 is releasing early next year. MVG did a interesting opinion piece here on the technical hurdles that Nintendo might be dealing with this in order to provide BC.

I wouldn't expect Nintendo to talk about the backwards compatability of an unannounced console. But they've been pretty good with physical BC and this time they have a big incentive to be good with Digital BC.

*shhhhh* a certain banned member will tell you it's a home console. :messenger_beaming:
To classify it as only a home console or only a portable is to misunderstand its appeal. Its both.

Kerotan

Pikmin is a beast.

edit: Playstation 5 Digital Edition wof... losing to base PS4.
Ps4 isn't losing to digital ps5 when you consider one is a traditional dedicated home console with a disc drive and the other is a traditional home console with no drive. Two separate categories and they're both number one in them.

blacktout

Ps4 isn't losing to digital ps5 when you consider one is a traditional dedicated home console with a disc drive and the other is a traditional home console with no drive. Two separate categories and they're both number one in them.

Your commitment to this bit is commendable, honestly. It used to annoy me, but you've elevated it to performance art. Keep going, you're filling the void Nautilus left behind.

Kerotan

Your commitment to this bit is commendable, honestly. It used to annoy me, but you've elevated it to performance art. Keep going, you're filling the void Nautilus left behind.
It was actually me who set him into loco mode. He used to annoy everybody so I had a bit of banter back at him and he took it too serious.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not really because there is a lot of money still being made on PSN from PS4 content.

Drop the disc drive & HDD add some cheap flash storage & hit the markets that they missed

And what would the ROI on that be? Because you can't sell that in North America and Europe and think it'll sell much.

onQ123

And what would the ROI on that be? Because you can't sell that in North America and Europe and think it'll sell much.
You do know that Sony clipped PS4 wings to produce more PS5s right?

It's a waste compared to getting people to buy PS5 but trust me PS4 could have easily sold another 20 million as a mini

Kerotan

It's a waste compared to getting people to buy PS5 but trust me PS4 could have easily sold another 20 million as a mini
This is true. If they did one final revision with another price cut it and sufficient stock throughout COVID it would have sold a lot.

The ps2 had this luxury the ps4 did not.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Maybe, if it had come out in 2021 probably. But not in 2023.

MrA

Banned
It was actually me who set him into loco mode. He used to annoy everybody so I had a bit of banter back at him and he took it too serious.
pretty funny to say considering you threw a tantrum when I called the ps5 a wasteful tv-tethered dinosaur and that sony broke the traditional console mode by making wasteful power-hungry hardware when they couldn't compete with real video game companies and had to just spend their way into their current position.

Kerotan

pretty funny to say considering you threw a tantrum when I called the ps5 a wasteful tv-tethered dinosaur and that sony broke the traditional console mode by making wasteful power-hungry hardware when they couldn't compete with real video game companies and had to just spend their way into their current position.
Considering I don't remember that it couldn't have been that big a tantrum. This ain't reality TV!

Top Bottom