• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently watched the movie again a couple weeks ago after probably 10 years since seeing it. It's god damn perfect. I'm really interested in watching this, but I think I might wait until the run is finished. I just know that I'm too close to it, and I'll just try to compare it to the movie.

Yeah I'm avoiding going back to the film till the show is over.

- Poniewozik's review
Indeed, after a few hours, Fargo feels not just like an adaptation of one Coen brothers movie but many: it has hints of No Country for Old Men, which pitted fallible humans against a seemingly unstoppable evil, and A Serious Man, which asked what it would be like if God were active in our world, an Old Testament God who laid tests and rendered judgment.

IronRinn

Just finished watching the movie again for the first time in forever (with my girlfriend, who had never seen it), in anticipation of the new series. As fantastic as I remembered it. Really looking forward to tomorrow night.

Series premiere tonight:
The Crocodile's Dilemma

A manipulative man meets a small town insurance salesman and sets him on a path of destruction.
The premiere is set for 1 hr and 36 minutes tonight.

mclem

Just found out this is coming to the UK sooner rather than later, so I probably ought to rewatch the film sometime in the next few weeks to remind myself of it. Wouldn't surprise me if C4 would screen it sometime.

- Sepinwall's review: FX's 'Fargo' reinvents the Coen brothers movie as something new and wonderful
Given what a great and unique creation the film is, it would seem folly for another creator to try to enter this world of "uff da"s and endless winter. At best, you might come off as a competent imitator of two of the best, most idiosyncratic filmmakers of our age.

Yet somehow, Hawley and company (including Adam Bernstein, who directed the pilot) do much better than that, especially after the first 20 minutes or so are done reminding you of the archetypal characters from the movie. This is not the improbably perfect 98-minute blend of brutal crime and quirky humor that the movie was, but nor is it a pale, delayed copy, either. Over the course of the first four episodes (and hopefully over the remaining six), the TV "Fargo" establishes itself as its own wonderful thing that is connected to the movie without being a recreation of it, and that doesn't seem unworthy of the name.

awesome, it's snowing here in michigan. just in time for the fargo premiere!

really glad I have something to watch on tuesdays now that justified and brooklyn 99 are over.

- Matt Zoller Seitz for NY Mag: FX’s Fargo: Misanthropic, Ruthless, and Very Smart
The last half-hour of the 90-minute pilot is the strongest section, because it develops a tone that could be described as Coen-esque, but does so organically, in a way that assures you that it will become its own thing. The next three episodes get incrementally weirder, stronger, and more original, to the point that you forget to measure this Fargo against its namesake, or against any of the Coens' masterworks, and simply enjoy the odd, sour, frightening, occasionally splendid thing in front of you. Another good sign: Even though this Fargo rips through plot like a wood chipper, you needn’t worry that the show will have nowhere to go next season, because — like True Detective and American Horror Story — this is an anthology series, in which the unit of measure is the season rather than the episode. Certain characters and plotlines may continue. Others will drop. This is a smart move. Fargo is a smart show. Not pleasant, not kind, but smart. Ruthless.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm looking forward to this. FX has really been hitting it lately.

And I was trying to place where I knew Martin Freeman from. Hitchiker's. He was Arthur Dent.

And apparently the Hobbit, but I haven't seen those movies.

- Andy Greenwald's review for Grantland:
As I watched next week’s episode and then the next, I was surprised to discover that Fargo actually demands and rewards patience, an outmoded concept that miniseries seem expressly designed to circumvent. The series improves exponentially as it advances. In fact, Fargo gets better and better the further it gets from Fargo itself. Hawley understands that while movies are defined by action and plot, TV thrives in the spaces between the story. There’s a considered cleverness and kindness to his scripts that would never fit into the tight margins of a motion picture; it lights this Fargo from within.

- Maureen Ryan's review
"Fargo" develops into a solid pleasure; it's studded with telling details, excellent performances and satisfying subplots (particularly one involving a pair of bickering hit men). All things considered, it efficiently drew me in to a quagmire of bad choices that only partly has to do with the "cutthroat world of regional trucking," as one character put it. This miniseries has an intelligent curiosity about the clash between earnest cordiality and base, animal instincts, and it's smart enough to occasionally display a beating heart.

- USA Today review:
Murder, of course, abounds on TV. What separates Fargo is the depth of its characterizations and the individuality of its approach. There's violence, but the worst of it has both impact and purpose. And when things get too tense, some wildly amusing moment will arrive — often framed so that the joke happens out of view of the main characters. Four out of four stars.

Very excited for this, FX is killing me with these run times on the late shows though!
I would watch almost everything the next day if I didn't get the East Coast feeds of cable shows. It helps a lot to have all of the FX, AMC, HBO, etc... show start at 6 or 7pm.

Anyone have any experience with FXNOW, do they put new episodes up and if so how quickly?

Much rather watch the show at my own convenience, 'specially since the premier is extended.

styl3s

Anyone have any experience with FXNOW, do they put new episodes up and if so how quickly?

Much rather watch the show at my own convenience, 'specially since the premier is extended.
Not sure but i know if you are on comcast you can watch the actual FX channel live.

It's how i watch SOA, Justified, Americans and now this live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom