• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
the fuck? when did your name change?!

like 1-2 weeks ago hehe

dont you wish malvo was more like he was in the finale in the previous episodes?

it would have made him interesting IMO

or they could have just made malvo transform into his devil form and we'd see his skin peel and shed and horns come out and he'd sprout wings and breathe fire all over fargo

remember they took the dragons off the map but theyre still there

AlexMogil

So what was with Molly's glove story? That completely flew over my head

My immediate reaction (I *never* get these) is that she was telling him that maybe she won't be the one to get him, but the work she has done was enough for someone else. That guy lost one glove, so maybe he could help someone out with a pair instead of one.

Malvo's death was great. He came back from certain death to show Gus that he was going to force Gus to kill him on Malvo's terms - in cold blood. He nearly smiled before the last shots.

Nygaard's death was great, too. I've seen some reviews call his death insignificant, but I saw hell reach up and swallow him into the earth.

Revolver

Really pleased with the finale. I wasn't expecting the Malvo ending. I thought he'd disappear like Anton Chigurh. I spent the show waiting for something awful to happen to Gus, Molly or her dad and it was a relief how their story ended. Poor Key and Peele though.

i really want to watch this but i don't have satellite/cable and don't feel like paying $30 for the 10 episode season on amazon :(

why can't fox have a free streaming site! not interested in pirating shit. i'll watch all the stupid ass commercials you want fox! suppose i'll wait for it to be on netflix/amazon prime or get some video credits somewhere down the line

Blader

Great finale and overall strong season, despite some plot threads that didn't really go anywhere. The ending was way more morally just than I was expecting too -- bad characters were punished, good ones were rewarded with happily ever after.

Didn't really like how Malvo went out. They made him seem like an unstoppable, untouchable force of nature throughout the show and then he gets okie-doked by Lester and ambushed by incompetent Gus.

What was the "something" that Lou was talking about protecting Molly from when she was a child? He said it didn't come that night, but it came later.

Didn't really like how Malvo went out. They made him seem like an unstoppable, untouchable force of nature throughout the show and then he gets okie-doked by Lester and ambushed by incompetent Gus.

What was the "something" that Lou was talking about protecting Molly from when she was a child? He said it didn't come that night, but it came later.

i think he was talking about a younger, hipper malvo

Dice//

Banned
Sorry if Dumb: But I never really got why Malvo started going after Lester. Did he just say too much?

Great season, great freaking show, I actually was legitimately more shocked at deaths in this show than I was in Game of Thrones (where really anyone can be killed, easily, just a matter of how and how gruesome it is).

jonnyp

Sorry if Dumb: But I never really got why Malvo started going after Lester. Did he just say too much?

Great season, great freaking show, I actually was legitimately more shocked at deaths in this show than I was in Game of Thrones (where really anyone can be killed, easily, just a matter of how and how gruesome it is).

You forgot about the
Las Vegas incident
?

chris121580

Just finished. What an awesome series and such a satisfying finale! So glad Gus was the one to take out Malvo after initially letting him go. I would've loved an update on Wrench and Lester's brother but wasn't totally necessary. Lester falling through the ice could not have been more perfect

Dice//

Banned
You forgot about the
Las Vegas incident
?

That's what I mean though. He just kept saying "You really wanna do this?". I don't get why Lester was so insistent on chatting him up and why Malvo reacted the way he did.

(I'd recon you want to put distance between a guy like that and yourself; and keep those skeletons in the closet)

I mean, I might have missed it, I got terribly viewing habits (I usually don't just sit and watch but draw/handheld game and watch something)

TripOpt55

Really liked the finale. Solid way to wrap things up. What a fantastic season this was. I had not watched the movie, so this may have passed me by, but my mom and brother convinced me to give it a try. So glad I did! (I also checked the movie out halfway through the season, it was good as well.)

Helmholtz

It was a good finale, but I had a similar reaction that I did with Breaking Bad. I can't really point out too many flaws, but it left me with a feeling of "that was good, but I feel like it could have been better". Everything was just a bit too neat for my liking.
The show was very enjoyable overall though. Shame about some stuff that brings it down like the supermarket king arc that was essentially a waste of time.
As much as I liked the show, I don't think I'd be too upset if this was its one and only season. I feel like I kind of watched a really solid movie that doesn't really need a sequel.
And I did prefer this show to the movie Fargo. I think it explored very similar themes and plot threads, but it had more breathing room and was more entertaining.

hydruxo

That's what I mean though. He just kept saying "You really wanna do this?". I don't get why Lester was so insistent on chatting him up and why Malvo reacted the way he did.

(I'd recon you want to put distance between a guy like that and yourself; and keep those skeletons in the closet)

I mean, I might have missed it, I got terribly viewing habits (I usually don't just sit and watch but draw/handheld game and watch something)

I think Lester was coming off a high from winning that Salesman of the Year award and he wanted to prove that he's a changed man by showing Malvo he's not the same awkward guy he was a year ago. Hence why when they were in the elevator Lester says "the old Lester would've ran away, but not the new Lester". It was obviously a dumb thing to do on Lester's part, but he kind of became a careless asshole anyways so it fit his character.

Superflat

Just finished the show. A good, solid ending; it contained some of the most memorable/beautiful shots and was appropriately one of the most tense episodes in the show.

The more I think back on the events that happen, the wackier the show seems to be in retrospect. Not sure if I like that or not. I have to admit that I thought the show's first few episodes were the tightest in terms of editing and presentation, and my interest began to taper ever so slightly as it got closer to the finish line, but I'm glad that I followed through. It's a pretty great show.

The more I think back on the events that happen, the wackier the show seems to be in retrospect. Not sure if I like that or not.

That's partly why all the episodes open with "the following is a true story" text. It gives the show more creative license. Your subconscious says "this is crazy, but it's true, but it's still crazy."

jonnyp

Well my take on it is:
Because Lester was an idiot and for whatever reason wanted to show off to Malvo about his accomplishments since they last met and was too stupid/naive to know better or foresee any consequences when he kept on pressing the issue with Malvo in front of the people Malvo was conning.

Malvo probably thought it would be only a matter of time before his scheme of conning the other guy/people in the elevator would be up if Lester kept pressing or inadvertently shared other details about how/when/where he knew Malvo from. So Malvo decided to kill the people he was conning before his scheme was up. Now you can certainly argue that Malvo's actions were rash and if they were necessary at that point. Maybe not, but it was definitely in Malvo's character to not take any chances and do something extreme like that to get rid of all loose ends in case his scheme was up.

So one reason Malvo wanted to kill Lester was because he had just lost a big payday and Lester had proven to be a complete liability.

Secondly, now Lester was also a witness to another 3 innocent people getting murdered by Malvo. Malvo would've probably killed Lester too after Lester had helped him with the bodies.

At least Lester had the brains to try and get away at this point by hitting Malvo on the head.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Lester trying to do...whatever he was trying to do with Malvo in Vegas only makes sense to me on a metaphorical level. I guess that was my big problem for me with the series, the motivations were just ridiculous in so many spots. There was a gut-level that they registered on but I wasn't expecting so much whimsy in this show.

Dice//

Banned
Well my take on it is:
Because Lester was an idiot and for whatever reason wanted to show off to Malvo about his accomplishments since they last met and was too stupid/naive to know better or foresee any consequences when he kept on pressing the issue with Malvo in front of the people Malvo was conning.

Malvo probably thought it would be only a matter of time before his scheme of conning the other guy/people in the elevator would be up if Lester kept pressing or inadvertently shared other details about how/when/where he knew Malvo from. So Malvo decided to kill the people he was conning before his scheme was up. Now you can certainly argue that Malvo's actions were rash and if they were necessary at that point. Maybe not, but it was definitely in Malvo's character to not take any chances and do something extreme like that to get rid of all loose ends in case his scheme was up.

So one reason Malvo wanted to kill Lester was because he had just lost a big payday and Lester had proven to be a complete liability.

Secondly, now Lester was also a witness to another 3 innocent people getting murdered by Malvo. Malvo would've probably killed Lester too after Lester had helped him with the bodies.

At least Lester had the brains to try and get away at this point by hitting Malvo on the head.

I think Lester was coming off a high from winning that Salesman of the Year award and he wanted to prove that he's a changed man by showing Malvo he's not the same awkward guy he was a year ago. Hence why when they were in the elevator Lester says "the old Lester would've ran away, but not the new Lester". It was obviously a dumb thing to do on Lester's part, but he kind of became a careless asshole anyways so it fit his character.

Yup! Works perfectly for me --- thanks so much, both of you!!

I, for one, will be happy to have this series behind me... I keep 'thinking' in a Minnesotan accent and my "oh yeahs" keep turning into "oh yeaaah, sure"'s.
:S

hydruxo

On another note, Billy Bob Thornton really was incredible as Malvo. I know people had their doubts before the season started but he really knocked this role out of the park. Hopefully he gets more villain roles in the future.

Mononoke

Banned
Finale as was good. But it felt kind of like a whimper. Kind of strange how understated it all felt. And I have nothing against subtle/understated finale's. But it also was kind of strange in how they went about doing it. (ie.
Gus randomly finding Malvo's car, and then waiting in his cabin to kill him.

I pretty much agree with AV Club...that it felt like a lot of set up, that had pay off and was wrapped up..and yet...it still felt like certain aspects were cheated (such as Molly and Malvo). Even the way it all wrapped up for
Molly felt kind of strange (how she gets vindicated with the tapes, or how she's eventually given the police chief position. I also thought there could have been more tension with Lester. I wasn't a big fan of the transition of him being on the run with the snowmobile, and then falling in the ice. It was a fitting death, but they could have done something better.

I can't say it was technically flawed. It was actually a very tight episode. Great acting, writing, cinematography. Everything was tied up nicely. But I just walked away from it feeling kind of underwhelmed.

Dalek

My wife and I are watching the finale and something is really bothering us. Why would Gus stop his car and sneak into Malvo's cabin and not call the police or warn anyone? I get that he wants to protect his family but why take such an unnecessary risk.

Helmholtz

My wife and I are watching the finale and something is really bothering us. Why would Gus stop his car and sneak into Malvo's cabin and not call the police or warn anyone? I get that he wants to protect his family but why take such an unnecessary risk.
My take was that Gus has been a huge fuck-up since the moment we first see him. So I wasn't too surprised to see him acting stupidly again.

Dalek

I thought they were pretty average... certainly no Tim Roth and Gary Oldman.

I have to agree they were pretty poor. I had no idea who they were, as I don't watch their show, and it sadly seems like stunt casting that took away from the mood instead of adding to it.

Aiii

So not worth it

Because he knew if he called the cops the first thing his wife would have done is jump in a car and drive down to the cabin in hopes of finding Malvo. So instead of making the call he decided to wait for Malvo himself and end it before Malvo could potentially kill Molly and his unborn child. I don't find that strange or unnecessary at all.

AlexMogil

He blamed himself for Malvo. He could have had him months earlier but he let him get away. Malvo was his.

Mononoke

Banned
Gus knew that the only way to end this was to kill Malvo. He saw Malvo as evil incarnate, a force that would never stop. So when he saw a chance to end it, he took it. I didn't have an issue with him doing what he did. But the entire scenario was kind of strange (why the writers shifted the focus to him resolving the major conflict).

Helmholtz

On another note, Billy Bob Thornton really was incredible as Malvo. I know people had their doubts before the season started but he really knocked this role out of the park. Hopefully he gets more villain roles in the future.
Billy Bob was the highlight of the show for me. Lester was pretty good too, but Billy Bob stole every scene he was in. One of the most menacing characters I've seen on TV. And his performance seemed so effortless too.
I just wish we got to find out a bit more about his back story, motives (if any), etc... was he really just a chaotic psycho, or was there more to it?

Dalek

Are there no legal repercussions to Gus killing a defenseless Malvo, who was obviously maimed? I mean, I'm sure no one minded, but can a private citizen really break into a home and shoot a wanted felon in cold blood and get away with it scot free?

DiscoJer

Are there no legal repercussions to Gus killing a defenseless Malvo, who was obviously maimed? I mean, I'm sure no one minded, but can a private citizen really break into a home and shoot a wanted felon in cold blood and get away with it scot free?

When your wife is the acting police chief, who is going to arrest him? Who is going to file charges? Especially when it's the same guy that killed the former police chief of the town (and 2 FBI agents).

And who is to say he was defenseless? Maybe he had a gun on him. If you have reason to believe someone is armed and dangerous, well...

While it's not even remotely in modern times, one example I can think of is Jesse James. He was shot in the back. No breaking and entering, but he was screwing around with a picture on the wall and a supposed friend of his just pulled out a gun and shot him. And previous to that, Pinkertons once threw a bomb into his mother's house (which didn't kill anyone, but I think took someone's arm off).

Gus knew that the only way to end this was to kill Malvo. He saw Malvo as evil incarnate, a force that would never stop. So when he saw a chance to end it, he took it. I didn't have an issue with him doing what he did. But the entire scenario was kind of strange (why the writers shifted the focus to him resolving the major conflict).

I think also Gus had to do it himself to redeem himself in his own eyes. Letting him go (because he was afraid of him) was eating him up, then shooting his eventual wife by accident was even worse. He had to do it.

Mononoke

Banned
When your wife is the acting police chief, who is going to arrest him? Who is going to file charges? Especially when it's the same guy that killed the former police chief of the town (and 2 FBI agents).

And who is to say he was defenseless? Maybe he had a gun on him. If you have reason to believe someone is armed and dangerous, well...

While it's not even remotely in modern times, one example I can think of is Jesse James. He was shot in the back. No breaking and entering, but he was screwing around with a picture on the wall and a supposed friend of his just pulled out a gun and shot him. And previous to that, Pinkertons once threw a bomb into his mother's house (which didn't kill anyone, but I think took someone's arm off).

I think also Gus had to do it himself to redeem himself in his own eyes. Letting him go (because he was afraid of him) was eating him up, then shooting his eventual wife by accident was even worse. He had to do it.

Yeah definitely. You could tell it weighed on him heavily.

squidyj

Billy Bob was the highlight of the show for me. Lester was pretty good too, but Billy Bob stole every scene he was in. One of the most menacing characters I've seen on TV. And his performance seemed so effortless too.
I just wish we got to find out a bit more about his back story, motives (if any), etc... was he really just a chaotic psycho, or was there more to it?

That would have really detracted from his character and his meaning in the plot, I mean it's no accident that he got caught in a bear trap.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

He did it so his wife wouldn't have to, he knew she'd come if he called it in and he was protecting her. It was his "man up" moment.

Deku Tree

Fargo. Where we make senseless violence and pure evil entertaining with a backdrop of mostly extremely dimwitted “Minnesota nice” locals.

pj

Banned
So what was with Molly's glove story? That completely flew over my head

My thought was that Lester and his Second wife were the gloves, and Molly dropped one in her mind by letting the second wife get killed. She then decided to drop the other glove by sending Lester home and hoping that Malvo would deal with him.

Deku Tree

My thought was that Lester and his Second wife were the gloves, and Molly dropped one in her mind by letting the second wife get killed. She then decided to drop the other glove by sending Lester home and hoping that Malvo would deal with him.

I thought she was asking Lester to drop the second glove, I.e. Asking him to help find Malvo.

iuuk

I'm glad they didn't. Even if he was this supernatural presence he was always one that adhered to human / worldly rules. Leaving that question open makes him interesting, he may be some sort of evil incarnate, but he's not unstoppable.

And if he just is this concept of evil he (or there) may just be a different person(s) every era, seeing the obvious hints that papa Solverson had a similar case once and the Eden pie.

I thought she was asking Lester to drop the second glove, I.e. Asking him to help find Malvo.

I just took it as Molly dropping Lester after she was 'forced' to drop Malvo, saying that she didn't really care about catching Lester anymore, the FBI (or someone else) will get the pair of gloves.

I just took it as Molly dropping Lester after she was 'forced' to drop Malvo, saying that she didn't really care about catching Lester anymore, the FBI (or someone else) will get the pair of gloves.

I took it as this, that Lester and Malvo would keep doing what they do and eventually would be caught, even if it wasn't by her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom