• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilbog21

Banned
great show overall. everything was very well done, although billy bob was miscast and pretty cringe worthy at parts IMO..

Which parts of the story were true?

Also I wish I could get Lundi out of my head
grr.gif

Grinchy

Banned
great show overall. everything was very well done, although billy bob was miscast and pretty cringe worthy at parts IMO..

grr.gif

There's so much wrong with this post that I'm going to cancel my internet service just so I never have to see it again.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

grr.gif

post-30459-Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF-gif-WHAT-TH-oNcJ.gif

AlexMogil

I'm really sad the show is over. I've had both themes in my head all day, and I'll miss the week to week anticipation of the show.

Thanks to everyone in this thread.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really sad the show is over. I've had both themes in my head all day, and I'll miss the week to week anticipation of the show.

Thanks to everyone in this thread.

You ruined it :(

grr.gif
How can anyone say Billy Bob was miscast. He played the character to perfection. Is this what you want?

ultron87

So I just watched the last five episodes in a row after falling many weeks behind. That was a roller coaster of emotions.

I was really glad that both Lester and Malvo got their comeuppance. Seeing the good guys get the clean win is pretty rare these days so it was great to see some truly evil dudes go down directly as a result of what they'd done. I was worried as hell when Gus went into that cabin solo seeming to be planning to take Malvo out, because it seemed like it could only end in tragedy. I obviously don't need everything to be some big morality play but hey, seeing some murderers go down for their murders was pretty nice.

Despite being only ten episodes it did feel like it was stalling for time a bit. Malvo's scheme with the grocery owner and all the set up work that needed to happen after the time jump felt a little unnecessary to the main thrust of the plot, but it was all generally well acted and enjoyable so I don't really mind. Key and Peele being there as FBI Rosencrantz and Guildenstern was a little odd and did take me out of the show a little bit at first, but I generally liked their inclusion too even if it was immensely obvious they were going to die from pretty much the jump.

Linius

Finally saw the last episode. Holy shit, such an amazing ending. They really fucking nailed it here. Give them all the awards!

Speaking of Dexter, they really missed out on Billy Bob as a villain.

I feel he was better than any Dexter villain. Yes, even Trinity. Lithgow played Trinity well and he fit into the show well, but Trinity was silly. Sure, the show itself was silly (talking about Dexter), but Billy Bob's take as Malvo was just scary. Would've been nice to have a season with a truly scary villain as a contrast to a generally silly show.

Alright, enough about Dexter. I feel that Fargo hit all of the right marks. I can't believe that Colin actually did a good job. He was cast right for once. The only black eye on season one was the stupid supermarket stuff. Nothing but filler. Aside from that, excellent pacing, excellent acting, and great story. Can't really ask for more, especially from a lower budget channel like FX.

It was tense when it needed to be.

And the hardest part: They captured the spirit of the movie. That in and of itself is a feat considering the source material.

Fantastic movie. Fantastic extension. What else can I say?

Edit - I was rooting for Malvo. I needed more evil Billy Bob. Alas...

hydruxo

Keith Carradine as Lou Solverson was phenomenal as well. I've always liked the guy's acting in Deadwood and Dexter and some other shows. A truly underrated actor. I was worried for a bit that Lorne was gonna take Lou out when they were in the diner.

You know what else set this show apart? The actors felt like real people. Down to how they looked. Not one person would have passed for a model. I wouldn't have even asked any of the girls on a date IRL (except maybe for Linda if she wasn't so dumb). They cast people on their acting skills, not on their looks. Which I thought was a bad idea at first, but now that the season is over, I understand.

Turin

Banned
Great show. Right up there with Hannibal and True Detective for me.

Is it bad that I felt some sympathy for Malvo when he was looking at that wolf? It seems it was the only thing he could really feel connected to.

Alpende

grr.gif

IIRC, none of the parts were true, that's the joke. I thought BBT was a great casting choice.

You know what else set this show apart? The actors felt like real people. Down to how they looked. Not one person would have passed for a model. I wouldn't have even asked any of the girls on a date IRL (except maybe for Linda if she wasn't so dumb). They cast people on their acting skills, not on their looks. Which I thought was a bad idea at first, but now that the season is over, I understand.

that's exactly why I can't watch shows on the CW. seems like they always cast people based on good they look. I watch the first 7 episodes of arrow and te acting was atrocious across the board. I don't get how people watch that dreck ;__;

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the finale was pretty good, albeit predictable and kind of underwhelming. I feel like they played it safe towards the end and I'm disappointed that Molly was sidelined in favor of Gus (who was never anywhere near as compelling as Molly). I wanted to see Molly take down Malvo or Lester. :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well I knew they had to give Gus his redemptive moment because of what happened in the first episode. But they left so much hanging in the show that I wasn't sure they'd get to it.

I took the glove story as Molly saying, "You've made a mistake, theres not going back now. Give in to it, you lost, and maybe it will help someone besides yourself."

Hatchtag

Banned
I've never seen the movie and I don't think I want to after such an amazing series.

It's good though I honestly prefer the TV show (although I too started with the TV show). I recommend not expecting it to be much like the TV show, though. It's really different in a lot of ways, none of the characters are that similar (although Molly and Lester could be argued, though I think they're just in similar situations, and not very similar to their movie counterparts), and it feels a lot more grounded than the show (you'll never question how anyone did anything, like you would with Malvo).

finally watching this (god bless Xbone FX app + i used my friends AT&T acccount). loving it! i also love the movie. i always feel like shows have the advantage on movies because you basically have 2 hours in a movie and with a show we get 10+ hours.

it would be like game of thrones condensed down into a 2-3 hour movie. very difficult to keep the detailed quality in that time span.

8 episodes in and this is an awesome show. there is something that annoys me about the main deputy girl though. i just can't quite put my finger on it! it's almost like skylar from breaking bad.... she just annoys me!

8 episodes in and this is an awesome show. there is something that annoys me about the main deputy girl though. i just can't quite put my finger on it! it's almost like skylar from breaking bad.... she just annoys me!
You must be watching the wrong show because Solverson is opposite of annoying. She is endearing!

Gus on the other hand. I wish Malvo gutted him in his shack and wore his skin in the finale.

molly in this 10 episodes is more tolerable than the white family (the entire family) has ever been.

how can you be annoyed by her?

maybe it's a little about her mannerisms and a lot about her
"giving up" on the case when she had all the evidence there. i know the chief kind of pushed her but it just bugged me. now i'm not finished yet so maybe there is some redemption to be had on her part!

She never gave up on the case though. They showed that she pressed on however she could, such as by harassing the fbi. She had hit a dead end though, and she didnt possess the means to continue

Z..

Had all the eps saved up for a rainy day... I'm sick and off work today, so I decided to go for it.

5 episodes in. What a fucking masterpiece, so far. They've absolutely nailed the right tone.

Just wish Colin Hanks wasn't in it. He doesn't fit in. Other than that, everything is really quite perfectly executed.

The fucking soundtrack is such an achievement, too...

Getting a major crush on Allison Tolman, btw.

The use of the Fargo theme was always forced and awkward like it's reminding you again this is supposed to be Fargo

It was like a funeral all of a sudden and like nothing happened

Mannequin

I was kind of underwhelmed by the finale tbh.

Best part was Billy Bob
smiling after being shot three times.
That really creeped me out.

Overall a good show though, a bit hit and miss.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I took the glove story as Molly saying, "You've made a mistake, theres not going back now. Give in to it, you lost, and maybe it will help someone besides yourself."

I saw Malvo as the first glove---since she lost him a number of times---and Lester as the second glove. So she lets Lester---the other glove---go home, knowing that the two gloves will come together. Since she can't have the gloves no matter how hard she tries she'll let the FBI have them. The train is her new family. Can't get off the train just for a glove.

Anyway, that ending was pretty nice. I really thought the thin ice death was a nice touch since Lester has been on thin ice every episode of the series. Sooner or later it was going to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom