• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- EW: 'Fargo' season 2 to star Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons
Fargo has filled two big roles for season 2. Kirsten Dunst (Spider-Man franchise, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues) and Jesse Plemons (Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights) have landed series regular roles in FX’s Emmy-winning crime thriller.

In addition, FX announced the second season won’t premiere until next fall and will once again consist of 10 episodes.

Dunst will play Peggy Blomquist, “a small town beautician with big city dreams who is trying to figure out who she really is and what she really wants as she struggles with traditional societal expectations. She shares her home with her husband Ed (Plemons), a butcher’s assistant, who wants to be supportive of his wife’s self-discovery, even if he doesn’t quite understand it.”

Fargo surprised skeptics with a thoughtful and witty crime story that arguably managed to improve upon the Oscar-winning 1996 Coen brothers film that served as its inspiration. The show was nominated for 18 Emmy Awards and won the prize for outstanding miniseries.

Like HBO’s crime anthology True Detective, a show that’s often perceived as Fargo‘s rival, season 2 will tell a completely different story with a new cast. Unlike True Detective, however, Fargo‘s setting is expected to be somewhat similar and the crimes will have a direct connection to the first season.

Season 2 is essentially a prequel and is set in 1979 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and Luverne, Minnesota. The story will focus on a young Lou Solverson (not yet cast) — Molly’s father, played by Keith Carradine in the first season, who teased to a harrowing case he experienced while working as a state police officer. In the new season, Solverson is a 33-year-old Vietnam War veteran.

“He thought he left the war behind, but he came back and here it is, it’s domestic,” showrunner Noah Hawley told EW in July. “We will meet Molly’s mother, who was not a character in season 1 … and we’ll learn what happened to her. There were a lot of clues left in the first season and we’ll do our best to hit those.”

Other major open roles include Solverson’s wife, Betsy, their four-year-old daughter, Molly, and fellow officer, Ben Schmidt.
New thread up for the latest casting news.

cLOUDo

fuck yeaaah Meth Damon

fJniXrW.jpg

- Hulu Acquires 'Fargo' Exclusive Streaming Rights
LOS ANGELES, CA (December 19, 2014) – Hulu and MGM have expanded their streaming video on demand (SVOD) relationship, the two companies announced today. The deal grants Hulu exclusive streaming rights to this year’s Golden Globe® nominated and Emmy®-Award Winning Miniseries Fargo. All episodes of the first installment of the hit show will be available to stream on Hulu in 2015.

The first installment of Fargo attracted critical acclaim having recently been nominated for five Golden Globes® including Best Miniseries, Best Actor in a Miniseries for Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman, Best Actress in a Miniseries for newcomer Allison Tolman, and Best Supporting Actor in a Miniseries for Colin Hanks. Fargo also won three Emmys® including Outstanding Miniseries and was the year’s most Emmy® nominated miniseries. The award winning miniseries is produced by MGM Television and FX Productions for the FX Network in the US, with MGM Television serving as the lead studio and worldwide distributor of the series.

New Year's Day marathon coming up on FXM:
FX said:
FXM will kick off the New Year with a marathon of Fargo, FX’s Emmy and AFI Award winning miniseries, on January 1 beginning at 2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT. The marathon will feature all 10 episodes from the critically-acclaimed limited series, in chronological order, with the first two episodes airing commercial-free and additional episodes airing with limited commercial interruptions.

bengraven

I haven't seen season 1, but I already know I'll be watching, then buying Season 2.

It's not often my weird little prairie corner of Minnesota makes it into film (though it featured prominently in Tim O'Brien's novels). Luverne, MN is literally 15 minutes away from the hospital I was born in, 20 minutes away from my hometown. My cousins lived there. Sioux Falls was just an hour away from my hometown and was where we went on special weekends - the "city" where they had comic book and music stores, clothing that wasn't JC Penny or K-Mart brands.

(I'm wondering if someone gets thrown off the "big rock" at Blue Mounds State Park now).

It's home man. And it takes place in 1979, the year I was born.

I'm so hyped for this.

- EW: 'Fargo' showrunner details season 2 *some spoilers*
The first season of FX’s small-town crime thriller impressed critics, stunned skeptical Coen brothers devotes, and earned 18 Emmy nominations. But now showrunner Noah Hawley is attempting a complete creative reboot for season two. There’s a new small town setting (Luverne, Minnesota), a new time period (1979), a new story (about rival mob gangs) and new characters (including a married couple played by Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons and a young, not-yet-cast version of the first season’s retired state cop Lou Solverson). Below, Hawley answers EW’s burning questions about his creative plan—and also addresses that other crime anthology show.

bengraven

Rival mob gangs in Luverne, MN? I'm assuming it's a Knockaround Guys situation, because the only gangs in Luverne are three white kids who used to try and convince us they were 1/3 Mexican and affiliated with Latin Kings. They were okay though, they bought us liquor.

ivysaur12

Banned
Binged the whole thing over Christmas break.

It was really fun, and the moment where Malvo breaks into the building in Fargo is one of my favorite scenes of the year, but I'm not sure if I'd put it in my top 10 shows of 2014. It's a very weird line to tread where you know all of the information on what transpired, and the good guy isn't able to make an arrest due to general incompetence. At least in Breaking Bad, Hank never felt like he was AS close as Molly was, and we were to sympathize with Walt for a lot longer than we were to sympathize with Lester. WIthout that, the middle felt like a lot of unnecessary stonewalling. I still liked a lot of it, and thought the ninth episode in particular was thrilling (though the finale was perhaps a bit too muted? I dunno, maybe, maybe not).

Martin Freeman and Allison Tolman are GOAT, though.

zoukka

Show was fun. Disliked the heavy and often crude use of CGI though. Also the characters weren't very relatable so many of the brutal scenes and deaths made me feel nothing at all.

Binged the whole thing over Christmas break.

It was really fun, and the moment where Malvo breaks into the building in Fargo is one of my favorite scenes of the year, but I'm not sure if I'd put it in my top 10 shows of 2014. It's a very weird line to tread where you know all of the information on what transpired, and the good guy isn't able to make an arrest due to general incompetence. At least in Breaking Bad, Hank never felt like he was AS close as Molly was, and we were to sympathize with Walt for a lot longer than we were to sympathize with Lester. WIthout that, the middle felt like a lot of unnecessary stonewalling. I still liked a lot of it, and thought the ninth episode in particular was thrilling (though the finale was perhaps a bit too muted? I dunno, maybe, maybe not).

Martin Freeman and Allison Tolman are GOAT, though.
dont think you are supposed to sympathize with Lester at all...dude was a mild-mannered psycho. He wasn't a hair out of place in a Coen Bros movie. The real hero is Det. Solverson.

ivysaur12

Banned
dont think you are supposed to sympathize with Lester at all...dude was a mild-mannered psycho. He wasn't a hair out of place in a Coen Bros movie. The real hero is Det. Solverson.

At first, yes, his POV was the strongest. It switches very quickly once he kills his wife.

Watched the entire season on bluray(came with a collectible Fargo beanie which is pretty sweet), spread across 3 days. A really good show and a great extension of the movie. I love both but I have a slight preference to the movie since it's more tighter and compact if you will but that isn't fair since one is a movie and the other is a TV show, but both are amazing. Who doesn't love more Fargo? especially if it's done right like the show did and damn did Billy Bob Thorton straight owned this show. Everyone did fantastic but Billy was something else, straight chuckling and giddy whenever he appears on screen. Never a dull moment, memorable characters and entertaining throughout with each episode escalating in crazy shit just at the right time.

I liked how it ended with
the movie's theme song but it doesn't even compare to how it was done in the movie. I don't know what it is though that hits me like a punch to the gut either the way it was shot or just Marge's whole "it's a beautiful day" speech with her sweet innocence about everything, fucking beautiful.
I love anthology shows because it means in one season we will be getting a full, complete story so I kind of hope we do have more shows that follow this format because I prefer this than watching a million seasons to get to the end lol. There's a TON of deleted scenes in each disk(comes with 3 disks) with some that add alot to the show and i'll list them here for those that are wondering what they are.

Episode 1 - The Crocodile's Dilemma

Nurse gives Molly a lead on Malvo & Lester (1:45)
Episode 2 - The Rooster Prince

Numbers & Wrench foil Gas Station robbery (1:58)

Malvo contaminates trail mix at phoenix farms (1:17)

Gina finds out about the Hess Life Insurance Policy (1:17)

Kitty gives Lester a toothbrush (0:17)

Lester brushes teeth, checks hand on wound (0:42)

Episode 3 - A Muddy Road

Malvo tells Chumph that he killed Stavros's Dog (2:25)
Episode 7 - Who Shaves The Barber

Gus stuck in the snow (1:43)

Gus tells Stavros the story about the rich fella (3:26) [provides a sort of closure to Stavros]

Gus apologizes to Greta (1:01)

Episode 8 - The Heap

Lou tells Molly to keep Fishin' (1:33)

Molly leaves Gus to go to work (0:27)

Episode 10 - Mortin's Fork

Molly finds Malvo's car (0:39)

Molly gets a surprising call from Gus (0:20)

Bill discovers a mess at Lester's house (1:18)

S2 filming starts tomorrow:
@EricIGN said:
#Fargo: Season 2 begins filming tomorrow. Yay! #TCA15

Confirmed S2 cast so far:

SAkMefO.jpg
AoqkrjU.jpg

Patrick Wilson, Ted Danson

fWuPWoJ.jpg
v8UaIYk.jpg

Jean Smart, Kirsten Dunst

4RTAix6.jpg
urZDePE.jpg

Jesse Plemons, Nick Offerman

IzP2lFk.jpg
BPVlSQw.jpg

Brad Garrett, Kieran Culkin

YTG0ycN.jpg
FFKJZu2.jpg

Bokeem Woodbine, Jeffrey Donovan

rRP3FvA.jpg

Angus Sampson

S2 filming starts tomorrow:

Confirmed S2 cast so far:

Patrick Wilson, Ted Danson

Jean Smart, Kirsten Dunst

Jesse Plemons, Nick Offerman

Brad Garrett, Kieran Culkin

http://i.imgur.com/YTG0ycN.jpg[img] [img]htp://i.imgur.com/FFKJZu2.jpg[/g]
Bokeem Woodbine, Jeffrey Donovan

[img]http://i.imgur.com/rRP3FvA.jpg[/i]
Angus Sampson[/QUOTE]

This is the most uninspired cast ever assembled.

Denton

Holy shit the cast looks ridiculously good. First season was the best thing of the year and my hype for second is through the roof now.

- The Wrap: ‘Fargo’ Casts ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Alum Michael Hogan for Year 2
Hogan, who played Colonel Saul Tigh on “Battlestar Galactica,” has been cast in Year 2 of FX’s anthology series “Fargo.”

Hogan will play Otto Gerhardt, a first generation immigrant from Germany who took over his father’s small trucking business and, through a mix of brutality and sheer will, turned it into a criminal empire that spans the upper Midwest. But he recently had a stroke and is now confined to a wheelchair, his every need taken care of by Indian servants.

RS4-

I finally finished the last 4 eps tonight, so good. And wow, Saul fucking Tigh in season 2!

I actually didn't read about s2 to avoid spoilers, I didn't know that it was about Sioux Falls. I was hoping for some more Gus and Molly.

Man, I've got a gut feeling that season 2 will be dark as fuck and leave everyone with a brutal gut punch of an ending.

And I'm imagining Jeffrey Donavon as an intensely creepy serial killer type.

Finished the season today, overall it was enjoyable, but it felt to much like a constant sendup to the Coen Bros. filmography for my liking. Felt like it spent to long on plothreads that didn't really matter for the sake of Coen Bros "pointlessness," their bread and butter. But while they deal with it in a two hour span in a feature film, this show handle those plotlines over the course of four or so hours. So the blackmailing story, despite it showing Billy Bob Thorton's destructive tendencies, felt like filler. Same with Key and Peele's FBI Agents, if the whole point of those characters are to be pointless, don't waste so much of a already sagging runtime on them. And Gus' living across the building from a jewish family being a sendup to A Serious Man being another example. Seemed like a six hour story stretched out to ten. Because when the show was on, it was on. The initial meeting of Malvo and Lester, Lester doing his "bad thing," pretty much any scene with Molly trying to be taken seriously; it was great. Bob Odenkirk's scene where him and his foster son told Molly how they finally made contact was genuinely heartfelt, delivered in a super genuine way. Too bad it was followed by Molly pretty much repeating what France's Mcdormand's character said in the film.

But the basic outline of season two does seem interesting, hopefully the show makers break away from constantly trying to reference/please the originators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom