• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I watched the entire season in one day, very impressed. I love that this is an anthology format as well, and that we'll get new characters next season.

jay23

Finally watched the movie on Netflix, and I gotta say the show is so much better than the movie. Its not even a fair comparison imo, they had a lot more time to develop characters. Malvo and Lester really made it special, I hope they win some awards for their performance.

Only thing I liked better in the movie was Molly's character, I found her more likeable.

Also RIP to Nucky Thompson, what a shitty way to go out.

The movie is trying to do very different things from the show thematically. I don't really see any point in comparing the two. It's very much an apples and oranges thing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The worst part of the show was how it attracted the crowd that hates female characters who get in the male protagonists' way.

I think someone compared their feelings towards Solverson to Skylar in Breaking Bad and I just had to walk away from the thread for a little. Opinions aside, I don't see the connection there.

Finally saw the finale.
Overall it was entertaining, as the show has consistently been, however it ended far to neatly for my liking. Rather than embrace any sort of complex moral ambiguity, in the end the show was really only about good vs. evil. And the good, wholesome family gets to live happily ever after while the devil gets his due (I did like Malvo's death scene), and Lester gets punished for his crimes without any further exploration into how his choices shaped him.
I still really enjoyed the season as an entertaining ride, but I can't help but feel disappointed that the show ended up taking the easy road with the finale; it was a big missed opportunity, and is one of those endings that is so neatly wrapped up and entirely unambiguous--in both content, and theme--that there is nothing really left to discuss or ponder.

Actually, I do have a question about something earlier in the season that I think I may have missed, though. Whatever was the resolution with
Stavros burying the money and then finding his son has died? Did Malvo just not give a shit anymore about getting the money? Or did he simply want to test this mans faith and ruin him just for fun because he's the devil? And wasn't he on an assignment as a hitman to kill him? I'm not sure if I simply didn't pay enough attention to the show or if they just sort of unceremoniously dropped the plot-line.

Actually, I do have a question about something earlier in the season that I think I may have missed, though. Whatever was the resolution with Stavros burying the money and then finding his son has died? Did Malvo just not give a shit anymore about getting the money? Or did he simply want to test this mans faith and ruin him just for fun because he's the devil? And wasn't he on an assignment as a hitman to kill him? I'm not sure if I simply didn't pay enough attention to the show or if they just sort of unceremoniously dropped the plot-line.
It seems that Malvo just wants to watch the world burn. He seemingly enjoys causing conflict and distress with money being a means to make it happen. I think this was also proven in the penultimate episode's elevator scene in which he laments the loss of the bounty, but happily remarks about the reactions when he pulled the gun.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It seems that Malvo just wants to watch the world burn. He seemingly enjoys causing conflict and distress with money being a means to make it happen. I think this was also proven in the penultimate episode's
elevator scene in which he laments the loss of the bounty, but happily remarks about the reactions when he pulled the gun

I have a question about that too: the reason Malvo pulls his gun is because his cover is supposedly blown, but he could still go on with it, no?. He could've kept denying he knew Lester and call him a nut. He gave Lester the ultimatum, but he could've continued his plan... I guess he was just tired of the charade, and set his eyes on Lester from that moment.

I have a question about that too: the reason Malvo pulls his gun is because his cover is supposedly blown, but he could still go on with it, no?. He could've kept denying he knew Lester and call him a nut. He gave Lester the ultimatum, but he could've continued his plan... I guess he was just tired of the charade, and set his eyes on Lester from that moment.
I think he just enjoys pushing Lester like that. When Lester didn't walk away, he clearly wanted conflict and Malvo gave it to him. Yeah, he probably could have kept his cover, but as I said earlier, he seems to get more out of causing harm than anything money could provide.

It seems that Malvo just wants to watch the world burn. He seemingly enjoys causing conflict and distress with money being a means to make it happen. I think this was also proven in the penultimate episode's elevator scene in which he laments the loss of the bounty, but happily remarks about the reactions when he pulled the gun.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I guess you really just have to take him as the literal representation of the devil for his character to make any sense.

Verger

Banned
I pretty much took Malvo as a character who enjoys messing with people, and that's his sole motivation. Clearly reputation, money, or any other accolades and credit were not priorities for his persona. He took jobs because of what he would get to do, not for a typical reward, which is why they spent so much time on him messing with that Store owner and getting him to give up everything, even though Malvo never got the money, because he didn't want it (not to mention all of that was not a part of his "job" there to begin with)

Also when he blew his cover due to Lester, he was all "hmm, all those months spent for a reward.....oh well". I wondered then if Malvo would have still killed Lester if he had not whacked him over the head.

He was a predator through and through, until he became the prey.

Moff

all the time whenever something completely unbelievable happened, like
malko killing 22 mobsters at their hideout
. I just thought, wow, they really expect me to believe that, really?? I will so read up on everything in the enternet after the finale.

and so I did, and yeah, I dont know if I should feel smart, dumb or just betrayed.

still a great show, though, thornton was an incredibly joy. damn we had some good characters on tv this year.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
all the time whenever something completely unbelievable happened, like
malko killing 22 mobsters at their hideout
. I just thought, wow, they really expect me to believe that, really?? I will so read up on everything in the enternet after the finale.

and so I did, and yeah, I dont know if I should feel smart, dumb or just betrayed.

"If an audience believes that something's based on a real event, it gives you permission to do things they might otherwise not accept."

ahuahuahua!

Grinchy

Banned
For the first couple episodes, I actually thought they took a real news story about a crazy event and turned it into a TV show with the "Fargo" theme. They got me too.

Amir0x

Banned
I think he just enjoys pushing Lester like that. When Lester didn't walk away, he clearly wanted conflict and Malvo gave it to him. Yeah, he probably could have kept his cover, but as I said earlier, he seems to get more out of causing harm than anything money could provide.

I think he actively gets off on corrupting the minds of the weak and downtrodden - he keeps a friggin' suitcase full of the recordings of these corrupted men at their weakest moments. He's a predator.

Amir0x

Banned
I was really impressed. Not only did they make something I feel is fit to stand alongside the movie classic, but they did it in a way that made for some fascinating character studies. My complaints are not really major on the whole. I thought the FBI agents, while occasionally funny, didn't really feel like well built or defined characters, more like walking punchlines. I didn't really feel that added to a show that I felt had an extremely well balanced helping of dark comedy. It seemed it tipped it a bit too much in tone imo.

And the other thing is... I liked Bob Odenkirk in Breaking Bad, but I didn't feel he was up to the task in all the scenes he played. He as always has remarkable comedic timing, and the way he talked really played out like the perfect small town caricature, but I felt we needed a better actor in moments - especially toward the end when he was giving that "I need to retire" speech.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I thought the FBI agents, while occasionally funny, didn't really feel like well built or defined characters, more like walking punchlines. I didn't really feel that added to a show that I felt had an extremely well balanced helping of dark comedy. It seemed it tipped it a bit too much in tone imo.
They were a pretty odd late addition to the show. They're a bit of a reference to the play Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead, the joke being that they're not exactly part of their own reality and just sit in a limbo and ponder what they think's happening. I thought they were perfectly cast and really funny, but other than the reference I didn't get much from them.

What ended up disappointing me the most was the whole Oliver Platt storyline, kinda summed up why I wasn't really that into the show. Just ended up feeling like nonsense.

What ended up disappointing me the most was the whole Oliver Platt storyline, kinda summed up why I wasn't really that into the show. Just ended up feeling like nonsense.
The Oliver Platt stuff was the highlight of the show for me, along with Mr Numbers and Mr Wrench scenes. They were all perfect, including the scenes with Oliver Platt's son. It really felt the show was firing on all cylinders. After Platt's story was wrapped, it stopped being as interesting as it was before (but still great, mind you). I wish it had an impact on the overall storyline, and treating them all as secondary to Malvo was little disappointing.

Also, the way the entire Fargo syndicate was wiped out (as awesome as that scene was), felt rushed.

18 Emmy nominations for Fargo including:

Outstanding Miniseries

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
Martin Freeman, "Fargo" (FX)
Billy Bob Thornton, "Fargo" (FX)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
Colin Hanks, "Fargo"

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
Allison Tolman, "Fargo"

Verger

Banned
Wow, both Thornton and Freeman got the nom, I'm positively surprised. I'll be happy if either of them go home with it. :)
Like I said above, I took the whole Platt storyline as getting the insight on Malvo's character and what he is truly about. He's not there to just "do a job", and he's not there to "collect money". He's there to fuck with people and push them over the edge. After all, in the end he didn't care in the slightest about the money that Platt was supposed to deliver, he just wanted him to break.

- THR: Fargo Season 2: Noah Hawley Hints at Revisiting Coen Brothers Catalog
Though the showrunner, who adapted the Coen Brothers' 1996 film to much applause, has not officially gotten a greenlight for second installment, its Emmy clout and his overall deal with FX Productions make it something of a given.

"In success no ever really does a mic drop and walks away," Hawley told The Hollywood Reporter on Thursday morning. "If I told FX that it was my best work, they would be thrilled with the success of it right now. But I feel like I'm close on a new idea for another Fargo 10-hour idea that we'll talk about in the coming weeks."

The shape of Fargo 2.0, however, is less certain. Hawley was naturally guarded about what he's considering, and couldn't speak to any possible returns for his heavily-nominated cast, but he did imply that he'd like to linger in a world adjacent to his original source material.

"What's really interesting about this exercise of emulating a movie, as a storyteller, is having available to me a whole body of work," he says. "The Coen brothers are so varied, from Raising Arizona to A Serious Man, there's so much."

One thing that can be said for whatever Hawley and FX do next is that it won't stray far from the detective drama at the heart of this first time at bat. "What is the inspiration this season? It's always going to be rooted in true crime," he adds. "There will always be grisly murder with good versus evil."

- Officially renewed for S2
EW said:
For the anthology series Fargo, the story will feature an all-new cast, a different time period setting and have a new “true crime” story that will unfold across 10 episodes. Writer-producer Noah Hawley will once again showrun the series. “We could not be more proud of Fargo,” said John Landgraf, CEO of FX Networks. “Noah’s audacious, bordering on hubristic riff on my favorite Coen brothers film earned 18 Emmy nominations – the most for a single program in our history. Fargo was nothing short of breathtaking and we look forward to the next installment.”

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

yessss

get1.gif

More details from the liveblog:
Hawley isn't going to write all the episodes this time around. He mentions the four writers who helped break the story the first time around. He expects to write five or six scripts, though. He says that all of the references to Sioux Falls weren't accidentally. The season will take place in 1979. There will be stories in Fargo, Laverne and Sioux Falls.

4:58 p.m. The season will focus on a Young Lou Solversson. Hawley says he called Allison Tolman this morning and told her that unless she can play a four-year-old version of herself, she won't be in this season "which is a crime and a tragedy and you should all be very angry at us for doing that." So Lou will be a 33-year-old man recently back from Vietnam. We'll meet Molly's mom and we may learn why she wasn't in this past season.

S2 ends with Sioux Falls incident seemingly solved, only for a "27years later" timecard to appear. In a shocking twist we find out Lou was the killer the whole time. Last shot is Keith Carradine as Lou with loaded shotgun ringing doorbell, in window we see Molly & family watching Dead or No Deal. CREDITS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom