• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI conducted predawn raid of former Trump campaign chairman Manafort’s home

KoopaTheCasual

Claude Taylor aka @truefactsstated is rapidly becoming very reputable in these matters. He seems to be right on the money before the MSM gets word.

So if that’s true we will see some indictments Friday.
Lol, no.

Exhibit A:
He also seems to be wrong a lot, too: https://mobile.twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/status/863720527986348032

His associations with Mensch are also just awful, and yet he still defenders her.

I mean, look at this from Mensch: https://mobile.twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/887641703817121793
I knew the "indictment" story sounded oh so familiar.

Definitely a broken clock.

E92 M3

Trump's Twitter from that day. You might almost think something is on his mind

DGy0RuzXsAALZU1.jpg

How would Trump know about this raid? It was done by BM's orders.

norm9

Not sure if mentioned already, but these text messages from his kids seem so long ago.

"Don't fool yourself," Andrea wrote to her sister, according to the texts. "That money we have is blood money."
"You know he has killed people in Ukraine? Knowingly," she continued, according to the reviewed texts. "As a tactic to outrage the world and get focus on Ukraine. Remember when there were all those deaths taking place. A while back. About a year ago. Revolts and what not. Do you know whose strategy that was to cause that, to send those people out and get them slaughtered."

Jag

Popehat's always excellent Search Warrant Lawsplainer.

What do you think about Robert Mueller ordering the search in the first place? Is it unusual?

Yes, it is.

We know that Mueller has started using a grand jury actively. Generally federal prosecutors tend to issue search warrants at the end of white collar investigations, not at the beginning. Search warrant raids tend to put everyone on high alert and shut people down. Federal prosecutors generally like to use the grand jury to develop witnesses and evidence before that, and subpoenas demanding production of documents are more common in white collar investigations than search warrants.

There are a few reasons Mueller might have gone with the search warrant. He might have genuinely believed that Manafort couldn't be trusted to turn over documents in response to a subpoena. He might have thought that Manafort would hold documents back, or that he was even going to destroy documents. He might even have had some sort of intel suggesting that Manafort was already destroying documents. He might have used the search warrant as a shock-and-awe measure to scare other people in the investigation into cooperating or provoke them into doing dumb things. Whatever else he is, Robert Mueller is very experienced and professional. I'm sure he did it deliberately and with a plan.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Didnt his daughters refer to the money he acquired as "blood money"? Mueller must have all the shit on him and I could only imagine what would could come from Manafort flipping.

Not sure if mentioned already, but these text messages from his kids seem so long ago.

"Don't fool yourself," Andrea wrote to her sister, according to the texts. "That money we have is blood money."
"You know he has killed people in Ukraine? Knowingly," she continued, according to the reviewed texts. "As a tactic to outrage the world and get focus on Ukraine. Remember when there were all those deaths taking place. A while back. About a year ago. Revolts and what not. Do you know whose strategy that was to cause that, to send those people out and get them slaughtered."

There it is

KoopaTheCasual

Didnt his daughters refer to the money he acquired as "blood money"? Mueller must have all the shit on him and I could only imagine what would could come from Manafort flipping.

There it is
Wait wait wait. Did I miss some major leak about texts about blood money? Can someone please link with a reputable source?

norm9

Wait wait wait. Did I miss some major leak about texts about blood money? Can someone please link with a reputable source?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/politics/ukraine-manafort-hacked-texts/index.html

"I was there when it happened. I saw him on his shady email," she allegedly wrote. "They don't write emails. They log on and write in the drafts So it's never transmitted over any servers."
In another alleged exchange with Jessica, in June 2016, Andrea plays down her father's involvement in the hacks of the Democratic Party emails.
"Pretty crazy about all the email hacking huh?" the texts read. "Dad must be over the moon."
"Oh i saw." is the reply. "The russians."
"Well it wasn't dad's doing. It was hackers," Andrea allegedly writes back. "No clue who the hackers were. Fbi is looking into it."

As I said, if Trump gets impeached, and there's violent clashes across the country due to his propaganda, he won't lose a moment of sleep. He's a sociopath, others' lives mean nothing.

If there are violent clashes between his supporters and people defending the country, then his supporters should be treated as traitors in my book, just as himself.

KingK

Question. Could a President be arrested during wartime? All this NK stuff....
A president can't be arrested, period. They are literally above the law and can only be affected by impeachment and then conviction in the Senate, which requires 2/3 vote. There is absolutely no fucking way in hell that 2/3 of the Senate will ever vote to convict, even if the House voted to impeach (which again, it's almost definitely never happening).

People shouldn't get their hopes up on anything happening to Trump directly for the remainder of his term. Some of his lackeys may get nailed, but the FBI and all the investigations have seemed to be really behind the curve this whole time, and I worry they've missed any opportunity to actually find anything incriminating before any existing, incriminating evidence was eliminated.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Could this please be a bannable post for these threads? It adds nothing to the conversation and it's just used to shitpost.

Personally I would ask that the "OMG this movie is going to be SO GOOD" posts be relegated to their own thread.

theWB27

A president can't be arrested, period. They are literally above the law and can only be affected by impeachment and then conviction in the Senate, which requires 2/3 vote. There is absolutely no fucking way in hell that 2/3 of the Senate will ever vote to convict, even if the House voted to impeach (which again, it's almost definitely never happening).

People shouldn't get their hopes up on anything happening to Trump directly for the remainder of his term. Some of his lackeys may get nailed, but the FBI and all the investigations have seemed to be really behind the curve this whole time, and I worry they've missed any opportunity to actually find anything incriminating before any existing, incriminating evidence was eliminated.

How do you know they're behind?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

What evidence do you base this on?
Are you telling me the President could stand on stage and rape someone in front of cameras and he'd be fine unless republicans voted to impeach then convict?
You mean to tell me no one can prosecute the President? You mean to tell me a judge can't convict a president?

Xe4

Banned
You know, I'm cool with leaks coming from the Trump administration (to an extent, no classified data and sensitive info and stuff), because I want that shit to be as nonfunctional as possible. But I can't say I'm happy at the FBI or Mueller's investigation being leaky. I know two weeks is actually pretty good comparatively, but I'd rather that they just be able to do their investigations in peace. Stuff like this just complicates their job.

this is not true iirc. charges can be levied against a sitting president both federal and state. it would then transition to if he could pardon himself for the federal ones (probably not), but he couldn't for the state. we could technically have a sitting president charged and convicted of state charges and be sent to jail to be president from there. but if your pessimism is so great you think even the current congress would let it get that far without impeachment, im not sure what to tell you other than roll my eyes

vainya

Neo Member
this is not true iirc. charges can be levied against a sitting president both federal and state. it would then transition to if he could pardon himself for the federal ones (probably not), but he couldn't for the state. we could technically have a sitting president charged and convicted of state charges and be sent to jail to be president from there. but if your pessimism is so great you think even the current congress would let it get that far without impeachment, im not sure what to tell you other than roll my eyes

Yes, this could and would most likely happen if the crime is huge like espionage or treason. There actually isn't a precedent for something like this since Nixon resigned to avoid embarrassment.

What evidence do you base this on?
Are you telling me the President could stand on stage and rape someone in front of cameras and he'd be fine unless republicans voted to impeach then convict?
You mean to tell me no one can prosecute the President? You mean to tell me a judge can't convict a president?
A sitting President? Likely not. His or Chief punishment is removal from office. Once out of office, yeah they could be charged in a regular court.

They could also be pardoned by the new president. And potentially they can pardon themselves while still in office.

See: Ford pardoning Nixon.

Edit: States are different, I guess. None of this is tested and it would all be a mess.

Top Bottom