• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Few reasons to buy Predator on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaitoH

1) Awesome movie

2) Lots of extras!

Disc 1
-Audio Commentary By John McTiernan and Text Commentary With Film Historian
-Inside Look
-Alien Vs. Predator Trailer
-Alien Vs. Predator and I, Robot Sneak Peek
Disc 2
-Deleted Scene: "Arnold Schwarzenegger Fleeing Predator"
-Documentary: If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It
-Inside The Predator: Seven Featurettes
-Three Outtakes
-Three Predator "Red Suit" Special Effects
-Two Predator Camouflage Tests
-Still Gallery
-Predator Profile: Six Static Pages
-Trailers: Alien Quadrilogy Trailer
-Easter Eggs: Jesse's Ultimate Dream, Stan Winston Practical Joker, Don't Drink The Water

3) Free ticket to AVP!

12172.jpg

Been dying for a proper release of this film. Can't wait!

\^w^/

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'm already planning on purchasing it... but tell me do these free tickets that have been coming inside some DVD's like this... the rereleased Bourne Identity, etc... have any restrictions? I.e. do they work on opening night? I know sometimes these types of passes are limited to certain time periods after the movie has been released.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Yup, I've been planning to get Predator SE on Tuesday for some time now. I'm also gonna pick up Kill Bill Vol 2, and Lost Boys SE.

Reasons not buy it:

- Same transfer as the previous disc!
- Same audio track!
- Makes the bean counters at Fox think that it's ok to release special editions with old transfers and the fans will buy them up!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
ManaByte said:
They are usually only valid for a month. They Spidey 2 ones expired at the end of July.

Yeah, it even says so right on the box in fine print:

"Offer Valid 8/13/04 - 9/5/04"

SaitoH

Error Macro said:
Reasons not buy it:

- Same transfer as the previous disc!
- Same audio track!
- Makes the bean counters at Fox think that it's ok to release special editions with old transfers and the fans will buy them up!

Valid point, but for the people that are extras whores and didn't buy the previous DTS version, this is a godsend. Plus getting a free ticket to AVP is icing on the cake.

^w^

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
SaitoH said:
Valid point, but for the people that are extras whores and didn't buy the previous DTS version, this is a godsend. Plus getting a free ticket to AVP is icing on the cake.

^w^

<raises hand cause is an extras whore!>

LakeEarth

God I hate these "comes with a free ticket!" deals. Just means the movie I would want, like Predator, is gonna be $20+ for even longer.

FoneBone

LakeEarth said:
God I hate these "comes with a free ticket!" deals. Just means the movie I would want, like Predator, is gonna be $20+ for even longer.
I don't think it costs more because of the ticket -- the price is the same as for Fox's other CE DVDs. And you can get it for about $19 from Amazon, or about $20 from DeepDiscountDVD.com.

LakeEarth

Yeah but I'm the type of guy who rarely buys a DVD over $10. When a movie I like gets one of these ticket deals, you know the price isn't gonna go down in price for a while.

FoneBone

LakeEarth said:
Yeah but I'm the type of guy who rarely buys a DVD over $10. When a movie I like gets one of these ticket deals, you know the price isn't gonna go down in price for a while.
Why? The ticket deal will probably expire in a month or two anyway. And like I said, it costs the same as Fox's other recent sets, which don't include tickets.

Am I the only one who hates extras related to a film what just/is about to come out? It just dates the whole package and makes it seem like a publicity stunt.

FoneBone

I saw this on sale yesterday -- anyone picked it up yet? If so, could someone tell me which theaters the AVP ticket offer is valid for? I'd appreciate the info.

Tool

Banned
Plus getting a free ticket to AVP is icing on the cake.

Yeah just what we need, another Alien and Predator movie. We're talking award-winners here.

SaitoH

FoneBone said:
I saw this on sale yesterday -- anyone picked it up yet? If so, could someone tell me which theaters the AVP ticket offer is valid for? I'd appreciate the info.

Just picked mine up and It was only $21.00 Canadian, so a good deal in my opinion. The ticket is literally a cheque for the theatre, so it should be valid everywhere.

evil ways

I got both the Predator DVD and Kill Bill Vol. 2, plus a free Vol. 2 theatrical poster was given away to everybody who bought the movie at Suncoast.

FoneBone

Ok, bought it from Target for only $17 (including tax).

Specs:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...2-4691615-0752924?v=glance&s=dvd&vi=tech-info

Release Information:
Studio: Fox Home Entertainme
Theatrical Release Date: June 12, 1987
DVD Release Date: August 10, 2004
Run Time: 107 minutes
Production Company: fox
Package Type: Digipak

Aspect Ratio(s):
Widescreen anamorphic - 1.85:1

Discographic Information:
DVD Encoding: Region 1
Available Audio Tracks: English (DTS), English (Dolby Digital 5.1), Spanish (Dolby Digital 1.0), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
Available subtitles: English, Spanish

FortNinety said:
Am I the only one who hates extras related to a film what just/is about to come out? It just dates the whole package and makes it seem like a publicity stunt.
Agreed. Best to keep things self-contained.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
This is a heads-up on those going to buy this Predator DVD: The front of the box for both the Full-Screen and Wide-Screen versions are the same. In order to identify which version you're getting, you have to look at the back of the box as it identifies which version it is you're holding. The Full-Screen version has white fonts, and the Wide-Screen version has red fonts.

I almost made the mistake of purchasing the Full-Screen version because I didn't immediately notice it.

Stupid Fox for not imprinting the box with an immediate type version on the front of the box!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Am I the only one who sees a free ticket to AvP as a negative? I don't want to have to remember Alien vs Predator years from now when I want to was Predator. I'd pull out the DVD and see the logo for that shitty movie on the cover and end up throwing myself off a balcony as the memories come flooding back.

SaitoH

Don't worry, the AVP logo is a sticker on packaging, so it shouldn't mar your Predator watching experience too much.

^_~

I still think the ticket is a nice bonus. No matter how bad the movie ends up being, I have to see it.

Ps. Thanks for the heads up, Kumiko.

FoneBone

Kumiko Nikaido said:
This is a heads-up on those going to buy this Predator DVD: The front of the box for both the Full-Screen and Wide-Screen versions are the same. In order to identify which version you're getting, you have to look at the back of the box as it identifies which version it is you're holding. The Full-Screen version has white fonts, and the Wide-Screen version has red fonts.

I almost made the mistake of purchasing the Full-Screen version because I didn't immediately notice it.

Stupid Fox for not imprinting the box with an immediate type version on the front of the box!
Yeah, I had even read online that they were releasing two versions, and I still forgot to check the back. Fortunately, I ended up with the right one, anyway.

Yeah I didn't realize this myself until I was standing in line about to check out. I never saw anything online about there being a wide-screen and a full screen version (so I assumed that it would be just wide-screen for the "collectors").

Overall it seems like a quality package for a movie that was long overdue for some special treatment.

I watched most of the film today and it seemed to me that this version's picture quality was slightly better than the older bare-bones version. Maybe it was a TV difference but I didn't notice nearly as much artifacting and "noise" during the film.

Teddman

Predator ROCKS.

So does Predator 2, I don't know why it never got much attention. Yeah, it lacked Ahnold, but it still kicked ass. Danny Glover & the Predator romped through them mean streets of L.A.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Got mine for $16 dollars, too. ^_^

You'd think for a Collector's Edition DVD they would default it to Wide-Screen only, but instead offer both viewing versions without making it obvious which version you're buying. :p

I say again.....Stupid Fox and their shenanigans!!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
FortNinety said:
Yeah, I hate that too. It's all just marketing crap. I especially hate it if that stuff is taking up space that could go towards other relevant features that didn't make the cut.

SaitoH said:
Just picked mine up and It was only $21.00 Canadian, so a good deal in my opinion. The ticket is literally a cheque for the theatre, so it should be valid everywhere.
If it's the same as the Catwoman one that came with the B:TAS set, it's only good at certain theater chains. Read the fine print.

FoneBone

Teddman said:
I know Target has it for that price, at least for this week. I don't know which, if any stores, are offering it for the same price.

A couple of small things that bother me about the DVD:
1. The presentation is pretty weak.
2. Where's the goddamn trailer? No, it's not that big a deal, but it's still a basic DVD extra that should be on there.

Teddman

DarienA said:
I'm already planning on purchasing it... but tell me do these free tickets that have been coming inside some DVD's like this... the rereleased Bourne Identity, etc... have any restrictions? I.e. do they work on opening night? I know sometimes these types of passes are limited to certain time periods after the movie has been released.
I just checked, and it turns out there are several "restrictions" on the tickets that comes with the Predator DVD.

-AMC theatres do not take them AT ALL.
-Only theaters listed on the back of the ticket participate
-Not valid for Thursday midnight showings

:(

Shinobi

Teddman said:
Predator ROCKS.

So does Predator 2, I don't know why it never got much attention. Yeah, it lacked Ahnold, but it still kicked ass. Danny Glover & the Predator romped through them mean streets of L.A.

Agreed...I loved Predator 2. Would love to see a SE version, though I doubt that'll ever happen.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Teddman said:
I just checked, and it turns out there are several "restrictions" on the tickets that comes with the Predator DVD.

-AMC theatres do not take them AT ALL.
-Only theaters listed on the back of the ticket participate
-Not valid for Thursday midnight showings

:(

SHOCKER

is that rare? I don't know that I've turned in a "theatre" ticket out of a DVD... I knew they would be harder to cash than gold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom