• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXI future: Tanaka interviewed in Famitsu

Jonnyram

Here's some snippets a kind soul has posted on 2ch (he's verified though)

- the 360 version will have a draw distance roughly 2x of the PC version
- when you play the HD version, you'll be blown away
- 360 version beta will start the same time as 360 is released
- PS3 version may happen if/when Sony brings out HDD
- new jobs will play completely differently to existing jobs
- when asked about new summons: "hehe..."
- end of Promathia is likely to be a new area

duckroll

- when you play the HD version, you'll be blown away
- 360 version beta will start the same time as 360 is released
- PS3 version may happen if/when Sony brings out HDD

So much for the exclusive support! Sounds like Square Enix is just using MS as leverage to convince Sony to have a HDD in the PS3 to benefit PlayOnline. :)

New jobs? As in major expansion is coming? I thought this wasn't supposed to happen. :p :p And if they play "completely different" than the current jobs, there's still quite a chance for Blue Mage. ^_^

New summons are a given, there are a few avatars mentioned in the game, and Diabolos himself can be seen (and fought?). Whether they will be those summons or not, who knows.

DarkCloud

...People honestly believed that the 360 version would be the only next gen release? They're obviously hoping to phase out the limiting PS2 version for a PS3 version down the line (especially since the PS2 version may be the odd man out when it comes to BC due to it's different architecture and that it required a specific harddrive to install) and once that's done upgrade the game via expansion packs or whatever.

New summons eh...that's nice. I'd begun to tire of only using Garuda and Leviathan. here's hoping I don't have to do anything stupid to obtain them. You already have to be level 70 in a group of 6 to get fenrir...what's next? Be level 75-80(upgrade) and solo the damn things?

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
Sounds like Square Enix is just using MS as leverage to convince Sony to have a HDD in the PS3 to benefit PlayOnline. :)
Well they sure did a great job with the PStwo huh. I agree that Tanaka and co are probably pressuring Sony quite a lot at the moment, but do you really think they're going to budge? They botched up the HDD in NA, they haven't even released it in EU and they took support out of the PStwo. Do the signs point to "Yes"?

TheDuce22

Banned
For anyone who cares they started that character retrival thing tonight. I got an account back that I hadent played in a year. For some reason im really hyped to play this in HD.

Zaptruder

Banned
What would be nice is if they had two rulesets... the current one with current servers, and a streamlined, 'casual' ruleset, that changed exp and introduced zoning for dungeons.

Jonnyram

TheDuce22 said:
For anyone who cares they started that character retrival thing tonight. I got an account back that I hadent played in a year. For some reason im really hyped to play this in HD.
And there's a big world emigration thing going on next week too. What's the main GAF server again? If I were to resurrect little Jonny, I could end up on Midgardsormr, if I wanted.

Belfast

TheDuce22 said:

Really? Maybe its time for me to attempt to jump back into the fold.

Borys

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Here's a question: some PC games (like Morrowind, Ultima 9, Painkiller) allow you to hack the viewing distance (beyond in-game "max" setting) in the configuration files. Is it possible in FF11 PC?

Shouta

All of us GAF folk that are left are on Fairy. We only get the choice of Hades which we gotta say, {Thanks for the offer but I'll have to pass}

So new jobs eh. I hope they're really different.

The next summon on the list should be Phoenix according to the COP story.

Belfast

Rorschach said:
Shut up! You say that like every week! ;b

I do too. :(

Eh, I do. Actually, my main problem is getting around to reinstalling the damn game, cause I know its going to take pretty much forever with all the updates and whatnot. I'm trying to reinstall PlayOnline right now, since I've finally gathered all of my discs again...only problem is a need to find the instruction book so I can get the ID numbers. :\

Edit: Or are those codes still considered "registered" as long as you still have your POL ID? Because I *do* remember my POL ID.

Buggy Loop

Far as i know, no, its not possible to hack drawing distance on PC version, its possible to hack the texture resolution though, change the music to whatever you want and even change the models (for example, a hornet in a newbie zone could be wyvern or anything, only you see it though).

Anyway, If SE plans a release on PS3, i'll move to PS3 to continue my FFXI experience, if its x360 only.. i'll buy a X360 just for this game. Twice the draw distance and probably MUCH LESS lag in character heavy areas and perhaps even higher framerates, along with HD support (hugs grand wega), its a no brainer, its gonna look much better than PS2 version.

Im curious about the new jobs, I really do think that Blue mages could happen, its an existing job from previous FFs and players have been wanting it/talking about it for ages on FFXI forums, this job would be really cool though, it would be a new tank but with WS of NPCs which you would have to be hit by them to get it in your list. I wonder what other jobs they could bring though, anyone has a list of all FF jobs? Maybe a new job from the far east. Really depends what the next expansion will introduce for a new area.

Buggy Loop

Belfast said:
Edit: Or are those codes still considered "registered" as long as you still have your POL ID? Because I *do* remember my POL ID.

Those codes are still registered, you just need your POL ID and password, like belfast@pol.com or something like that. I do think you'll need your content ID name & password to use the return back to vanadiel program

and yea, like Shouta said, GA is on fairy, and our option is Hades, which from what i've heard, is not worth the trouble, its fairy 2.0 and pretty much the same economy, so why bother, let the fairy douches leave the server thinking they're getting a good deal, and we're left with a better fairy in the future ^^

Belfast

Buggy Loop said:
Far as i know, no, its not possible to hack drawing distance on PC version, its possible to hack the texture resolution though, change the music to whatever you want and even change the models (for example, a hornet in a newbie zone could be wyvern or anything, only you see it though).

Anyway, If SE plans a release on PS3, i'll move to PS3 to continue my FFXI experience, if its x360 only.. i'll buy a X360 just for this game. Twice the draw distance and probably MUCH LESS lag in character heavy areas and perhaps even higher framerates, along with HD support (hugs grand wega), its a no brainer, its gonna look much better than PS2 version.

Im curious about the new jobs, I really do think that Blue mages could happen, its an existing job from previous FFs and players have been wanting it/talking about it for ages on FFXI forums, this job would be really cool though, it would be a new tank but with WS of NPCs which you would have to be hit by them to get it in your list. I wonder what other jobs they could bring though, anyone has a list of all FF jobs? Maybe a new job from the far east. Really depends what the next expansion will introduce for a new area.

I still think a Gambler or Calculator would be really cool. It might be unbalanced, but it'd be cool if Calculators, for example, were able to modify aspects of a party's TP, like give them additional boosts at certain intervals (with options to give a lot to one member or a little bit to every member). Maybe other skills which allow them to reduce enemy TP or something. I'm just trying to think along the lines of what they could add to a battle and since Calculators work on the idea of optimization and efficiency, their TP manipulation could be construed as an aspect of their tactical knowledge. And it certainly would play different from most current classes. Same for Gambler, though I don't know how well those would go over in parties....maybe they could be a good solo class, with the ability to deal big damage to enemies at the risk of suffering some ill effects or death.

Shouta

Calculator would be awesome although if you ask me, they should implemente math problems into the game to play it. :D

Belfast

Shouta said:
Calculator would be awesome although if you ask me, they should implemente math problems into the game to play it. :D

Haha, that'd be great! Would suck for English majors like me though. :(

Calculators would SUCK at combat, of course (probably mage-like in that respect), and being in a party, that would lead to one less other combat member. But put together with the right classes, you could probably reach those high-end chains really easily with their ability to repeatedly apply TP. As a subjob, it could be interesting, too...

Shouta

It'd be interesting to see though. I bet there'd be a way to implement it into the current model of classes as well as the job balance of the game. We definitely need more support classes in the game (and more fun ones at that =P).

Belfast

Shouta said:
It'd be interesting to see though. I bet there'd be a way to implement it into the current model of classes as well as the job balance of the game. We definitely need more support classes in the game (and more fun ones at that =P).

Indeed. The melee classes are so crowded. I really just hope that these new jobs will break up the current party system and allow for more unique, but viable combinations. S-E should really have added some skill trees, but its too late for that, I guess.

Shouta

It's not impossible. Skill trees can totally be included in the game. It's just a matter of the PS2 not being able to handle all that new information and there's also the possible ramifications of adding something that complicated to a game that uses a very simple but effective model and design for jobs.

Rorschach

Hah if BRDs who only do stat altering are so few, just imagine requiring people to do math in addition to support. :p

/sea CAL all

*5 players found*

:p

Belfast

Ugh, 8 hours to go with the patch downloads. ><

Hehe, my girlfriend PHEARS me getting back into this game. So I promised not to play too much, but I do want to play.

Acosta

So Xbox 360 is the beta test for online gaming in next gen for Square Enix, right?

Nice, when they are on it, they should call Atlus to develop an awesome Shin Megami Tensei CCCLX as well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Not too surprising.

A new area at the end of Promathia makes sense. The region int he last part of the storyline only has 3 area's right now. The new area will probably just be a BCNM zone.

New summons it's about time. Promathia's storyline hints at Phoenix and Diablos. Diabolos even has a summon animation. They set up for Bahamut as well.

duckroll

DrForester said:
New summons it's about time. Promathia's storyline hints at Phoenix and Diablos. Diabolos even has a summon animation. They set up for Bahamut as well.

But isn't Bahamut -HUGE-? Would seem a little impractical to be a player summon as it is now. ^^;

Razoric

Banned
duckroll said:
So much for the exclusive support! Sounds like Square Enix is just using MS as leverage to convince Sony to have a HDD in the PS3 to benefit PlayOnline. :)

Yeah man it's not like FFXI is out for PC and PS2 or anything. Another exclusive that MS has lost. Good catch!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
duckroll said:
But isn't Bahamut -HUGE-? Would seem a little impractical to be a player summon as it is now. ^^;

Diablos is huge as well, but in one cut scene where he appears as a summon would, he is smaller.

Mrbob

neo2046 said:
:lol so at the end, Square-Enix will release FF XI to X360/PS3/Rev

Due to the nature of FFXI a Revolution version is highly improbably at the moment. 512 MB of flash memory isn't going to cut it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mrbob said:
Due to the nature of FFXI a Revolution version is highly improbably at the moment. 512 MB of flash memory isn't going to cut it.

At the moment, perhaps, but that 512 MB is upgradeable.

Rhindle

Final Fantasy Team Working On New MMORPG

Final Fantasy XI producer Tanaka tells us that he's in the initial stages of developing an unnamed next-generation project, talks Xbox 360 FFXI details.

In an interview published in the latest issue of Famitsu magazine, Final Fantasy XI producer Hiromichi Tanaka disclosed that his development team is currently working on a new massively multiplayer role-playing game for next-generation consoles.

Now what's interesting about this, we here at GameSHOUT interviewed the Final Fantasy team live on GameSHOUT radio last month at E3. They gave us a few hints of a possible new title. However, they didn't comment on whether the MMORPG in development will be a successor to FFXI or a new product. They did confirm that the technical demonstration shown for the Xbox 360 during E3 was one of the experiments his development team had created to see what kind of graphics a next-generation console could achieve.

Tanaka also disclosed that the Xbox 360 edition of FFXI will sport graphics of a quality similar to the currently available PC version of FFXI. However, he added that the development team is seeing if the Xbox 360 can display graphics for about twice the distance than the Windows version.

The game's beta test is slated to begin simultaneously with the launch of the Xbox 360 later this year. Similarly to the Windows beta, the Xbox 360's beta test will be conducted on servers separate from the rest of the FFXI world. One of the main objectives for the Xbox 360 version's beta testing is to see if there are any problems with the game's network environment, since this will be the first time Xbox Live will be allowing a connection from an external system.

http://www.gameshout.com/news/062005/article886.htm

cvxfreak

Is it possible for the Revolution to support an external USB HDD? If so, that may be their way to getting FFXI on board.

Sho Nuff

Banned
GDGF said:
At the moment, perhaps, but that 512 MB is upgradeable.

Yes, considering the base FFXI install is 7GB, that will only cost you $400 or so...hey, why don't you just buy an X360 instead?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Sho Nuff said:
Yes, considering the base FFXI install is 7GB, that will only cost you $400 or so...hey, why don't you just buy an X360 instead?

Why don't I just play WoW instead? :)

Jonnyram

Having finally read the full article, I noticed gamespot didn't report this point. There are three dev teams working for Tanaka right now. One team is working on the download updates and general running of the game, one team is working on the next expansion, and the third team is working on the next MMORPG. The 360 demo is a precursor to the new MMORPG, he says, though he clearly doesn't confirm if the game will relate to FFXI or even FF.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jonnyram said:
The 360 demo is a precursor to the new MMORPG, he says, though he clearly doesn't confirm if the game will relate to FFXI or even FF.
Now this is a nice information, thanks !

Top Bottom