• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIV extends Trial max lvl cap: From 35 to 60. New Jobs for trials.

royox

Starting from the next Patch 3.3 that releases 11 of August FFXIV will change the free trial lvl cap from the current lvl35 to lvl60. YES, players will be able to finish HEAVENSWARDS and play with the Expansion jobs (Dark Knight, Machinist and Astrologian).

51GrFjZ.png

To add more to this, they re-did all the questing and leveling from lvl 1-50 so now you will be able to lvl up doing the Main Scenario Quest (the main story) and they took out filler content from 2.0 to the beginning of Heavensward (the "Wall of 100 quests" when you reach lvl50 till you could go to the expansion).

ALSO will be able to fly on the lvl50 areas.

YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES NOW

Bonus track: 3.3 Patch Trailer. WE GUNDAM NOW.

Reminder that FFXIV is the BEST Final Fantasy since FFX. Best than XII, than XIII and that shitfest called XV.

SinDelta

More and more I regret playing the trial for FF14 now.

However, even that level 35 trial was one of the best game experiences I have ever played.

The job system, and quests and world are all sublime.

I hate the fact the best Final Fantasy in recent times is a MMO that requires a subscription while the recent single player games (outside FF7 Remake from what I hear) are meh at best and outright terrible at worst.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

It's a great game; it could easily stand alone as a single-player FF title, especially post Realm Reborn. Glad to see them giving it a serious redux.

Play it and only go as deep into the MMO grind as you're willing. Once you hit that certain point it's more of the same, but it's quite a ride getting there.

Last edited:

TheContact

Looking for info if anyone can help:
I bought the base game a while ago, then like last year or something I bought Heavenward. My account hasn't been active for a while. Am I able to log into my old account as a "free to play" account or do I have to start over if I want to start playing this again?

Last edited:

royox

I bought the base game a while ago, then like last year or something I bought Heavenward. My account hasn't been active for a while. Am I able to log into my old account as a "free to play" account or do I have to start over if I want to start playing this again?

If you bought the game you don't get to play as "free trial" so you have 2 options:
-You sub and keep playing from where you left it
-You create a new account and play free till the end of Heavensward.

I think your old account should still work.

Also, anyone know of any sales for Shadowbringers? I need to pick that up still.

Vawn

Banned
I hate the fact the best Final Fantasy in recent times is a MMO that requires a subscription while the recent single player games (outside FF7 Remake from what I hear) are meh at best and outright terrible at worst.

Well, there's a reason for that.

It's a business model that allows them to constantly be improving and adding to the game without worrying about ensuring their players are frustrated just enough that they're likely to spend money on microtransactions.

I honestly would not want to play an MMO that didn't follow a monthly subscription for those reasons. Even huge single-player RPGs are attempting to add GaaS mechanics that ruin the game so they can find ways for you to play longer and pay more while doing so.

longdi

Banned
I just played 2 hrs with it., free trial, PC SSD + 1080ti 21:9 smooth aff!

But i hear the patch is coming only Aug! :messenger_fearful:

Should i continue playing, meaning i can enjoy the improvements on top of an existing game ?

Or i have to wait for Aug patch before restarting?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome news. This game is amazing.

I have two accounts - one paid and one trial account. My trial account has just about every job / class available up to 35. A handful of the gathering jobs still in mid 20s. After this update I suppose I should keep going with the trial stuff.

My paid account, I've only made it about half way through Stormblood. I like the story a lot, but it's hard for me to justify the expense to keep playing.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I own it and all the expansions. Unsubscribed some time ago just due to time constraints. I'm gonna try and get my friends in on this.

Edit: Epiphany...dude we should have a GAF FC.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just played 2 hrs with it., free trial, PC SSD + 1080ti 21:9 smooth aff!

But i hear the patch is coming only Aug! :messenger_fearful:

Should i continue playing, meaning i can enjoy the improvements on top of an existing game ?

Or i have to wait for Aug patch before restarting?

I'd say wait 3 weeks for the patch. Its going to remove some of the bullshit time-wasting quests in the first part A Realm Reborn. You'll have a better time getting through it, so that you can get to the real shit Heavensward.

longdi

Banned
I'd say wait 3 weeks for the patch. Its going to remove some of the bullshit time-wasting quests in the first part A Realm Reborn. You'll have a better time getting through it, so that you can get to the real shit Heavensward.

Let say im bored in lockdown, can i continue playing it now? Will i be able to access the new features come Aug?

First mmorpg here. Not sure how the patching goes about. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Starting from the next Patch 3.3 that releases 11 of August FFXIV will change the free trial lvl cap from the current lvl35 to lvl60. YES, players will be able to finish HEAVENSWARDS and play with the Expansion jobs (Dark Knight, Machinist and Astrologian).

51GrFjZ.png

To add more to this, they re-did all the questing and leveling from lvl 1-50 so now you will be able to lvl up doing the Main Scenario Quest (the main story) and they took out filler content from 2.0 to the beginning of Heavensward (the "Wall of 100 quests" when you reach lvl50 till you could go to the expansion).

ALSO will be able to fly on the lvl50 areas.

YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES NOW

Bonus track: 3.3 Patch Trailer. WE GUNDAM NOW.

Reminder that FFXIV is the BEST Final Fantasy since FFX. Best than XII, than XIII and that shitfest called XV.

Any idea what will happen to players currently in that Wall of 100 quests limbo? I finished A Realm Reborn and haven't played for a couple of weeks, but intended to go back and power through the content.

Kumomeme

YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES NOW
THIS.

-free trial unlimited time level 1-60 include the first expansion Heavensward which is one of the best FF ever
-trimmed unnecessary bloated fetch quest for base game A Realm Reborn with more exp and gear

ARR not bad..it decent..the bad is the bloated fetch quest that make newbie burnout while the best content is on the expansion onward...lot of new player before unable to get pass ARR to experience first expansion where the great stuff lies..

so basically what happened here, they alleviate biggest hurdle for newcomer then even added bonus to be able to experience Heavensward for free.

as reminder despite being mmo, people need to enjoy this as playing single player rpg..no need to rush, skip things and stuff..take time and enjoy

i agreed all of this except the bolded part

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm ready to jump back in with patch 5.3, looking forward to it.
It's cool that they continually adjust the game to be more accessible.

Last edited:

Jeeves

I haven't played since the first Nier raid, but I'm so glad they finally trimmed all that fat out of ARR. Now I can actually recommend the game without caveats.

I used to advocate for the restructuring of ARR on both Reddit and the official forum, and you would not believe the number of people who would come out of the woodwork to either defend the ARR postgame as it was, or tell me that it would be a waste of resources and they should only ever focus on endgame content because fuck new players.

I've met loads of fantastic people in the game, but there sure are some weird apologists and elitists mixed in, too.

Esca

Great game. I played it very heavily for a few years. Revamping the 1-50 leveling experience is great to streamline that content and make it easier to take on.

My only complaint was raiding. The boss fights became tiresome because if anyone in the group fucked up their choreograph movement/spells the fight was a wipe a lot of times. I don't know if they changed that as I haven't raided since heavensward.

It's really worth giving a try, especially if you're a ff or mom fan

Edit: Epiphany...dude we should have a GAF FC.
There used to be one on Ultros, but they earned the worst reputation ever because they would constantly snipe Hunt targets. Now, they've rebranded as Era (who'd have guessed), but they still have an awful reputation lol

I used to advocate for the restructuring of ARR on both Reddit and the official forum, and you would not believe the number of people who would come out of the woodwork to either defend the ARR postgame as it was, or tell me that it would be a waste of resources and they should only ever focus on endgame content because fuck new players.

I've met loads of fantastic people in the game, but there sure are some weird apologists and elitists mixed in, too.
Most (if not all) endgame players agree that Shadowbringers' patch cycle has been the most anemic of all expansions, and this was BEFORE Covid kicked in to make it even worse. We've lost Hard mode dungeons, a deep dungeon, Hildibrand, etc. because of the work that went into restructuring ARR.
And, really, ARR isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. If you're invested in the story then it goes by fairly smoothly. You might have to grind a level or two here and there, but that's the nature of MMOs.
The real "problem" with ARR was that kids these days just want to zoom through levels so that they can get to the endgame, or get to the critically acclaimed expansions ASAP.

But, I digress... what's done is done. My point is that just because the ARR 'revamp' happened, doesn't mean the "apologists" were wrong.

Last edited:

vkbest

However, even that level 35 trial was one of the best game experiences I have ever played.

If you played only the trial version, you played the worst part of FF XIV.

royox

There used to be one on Ultros, but they earned the worst reputation ever because they would constantly snipe Hunt targets. Now, they've rebranded as Era (who'd have guessed), but they still have an awful reputation lol

Most (if not all) endgame players agree that Shadowbringers' patch cycle has been the most anemic of all expansions, and this was BEFORE Covid kicked in to make it even worse. We've lost Hard mode dungeons, a deep dungeon, Hildibrand, etc. because of the work that went into restructuring ARR.
And, really, ARR isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. If you're invested in the story then it goes by fairly smoothly. You might have to grind a level or two here and there, but that's the nature of MMOs.
The real "problem" with ARR was that kids these days just want to zoom through levels so that they can get to the endgame, or get to the critically acclaimed expansions ASAP.

But, I digress... what's done is done. My point is that just because the ARR 'revamp' happened, doesn't mean the "apologists" were wrong.

We are getting a new Deep dungeon. Was announced yesterday.

NanaMiku

Great timing for me. I tempted to try the game after watching the Dad of Light show. The subscription is what kept me from trying the game.

mcz117chief

Really? It felt to me like another cookie cutter, tab-targeting, skill spamming mmo like World of Warcraft (not trying to dis WoW, it just ain't my style). Go there, kill 10 crabs, go there, kill 10 squirrels, go there, kill 10 mushrooms...I gave up after a few hours. Really isn't anything special. I'm sure it gets better later, with all the dungeons and raiding, but the beginning is just terrible.

Last edited:
Never even tried Eureka. I mean, I did 3 levels there and went away. Looks like extremely annoying.
It's designed to be a grind like FFXI, where you need to group up with others to succeed. But a few patches ago they made it so that most of it is soloable. But it's still a huge grind to get to the end, which is one of the best pieces of content in XIV (Baldesion Arsenal).

Last edited:

fatty

This is where I was at when I stopped playing the game back in 2018:

I’m kind of new to the game and recently started playing again after a few months off. Just finished beating Guillaime on ARR and now I’m fixing the air ship with CID while at level 43. Not really drawn in by the story yet and actually getting bored doing your typical MMO fetch quests.

I’ve read here that it gets better at Heavensward but is it basically going to be more of the same with a bit better story? The story aspects right now are few and far between and I’m wondering how many of these fetch quests do I really have to do, I’m trying to get my level up but just keep accepting quests where I don’t care to read the quest text, just hurry up and click to see the area I need to go to and do the typical action required.

Playing as a dragoon right now, the battle system is kind of stale as well. I’ve got my normal combo I do over and over but the battles aren’t varied...and I don’t find myself having to use other spells, potions or summons like a single player FF, just my standard combo (and this is coming from a guy who enjoyed the combat in both FFXII and XIII.

Am I missing something or has the game not really opened up yet? Keep in mind I don’t really care for the raid type quests, I just follow along where ever they lead and do my thing but I don’t care for the social aspect as I’m not on enough to want to build any type of guild relationship. I don’t know, in a rut right now and would love to get some advice if this game is really for me. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

I had fun with it at times, just don’t know if the little payoffs So far are worth the amount of time required to get there, especially if I am the type that likes to play solo (I don’t want to have to worry about my noobness holding the party back).

Dontero

Banned

I agree that every FF since FFX are pretty shit but i am yet to hear anyone saying FFXIV is actually good.

What makes it "best FF since FFX ?"

Can i make my own party ?
Is there cinematic story with truckload of FMVs ?
etc ?

Fuz

Banned
It's designed to be a grind like FFXI, where you need to group up with others to succeed. But a few patches ago they made it so that most of it is soloable. But it's still a huge grind to get to the end, which is one of the best pieces of content in XIV (Baldesion Arsenal).
I'm mostly a solo player.
Tbh, I've made some friends in game which I run roulettes with and we made a static for POTD, but it's kind of... overwhelming for me, they're super fun and cool and all, but I like to play alone and not have to think about other people's time or adapt to their speed.

Guess Eureka is not for me?

Also I've read that you need Eureka for the 80 relic upgrade? Did I get it wrong?

Last edited:
I agree that every FF since FFX are pretty shit but i am yet to hear anyone saying FFXIV is actually good.

etc ?

The game has a well told and cinematic storyline with a similar tone to FF Tactics or FFXII. The characters are great, the world is very well realized as well. Gameplay is standard MMO but polished VERY well. You can create your own party of other players, as it is an MMO. I believe in the latest expansion you can also create your own party of NPCs in Shadow Bringers.

The soundtrack is also amazing, (1.0 soundtrack is still my favorite Uematsu OST since FFVI.)

The game also FEELS like a classic FF more than any game has since probably IX, we have jobs you can level separately, all the classic summons and new ones as well, we have a fight against Gilgamesh, we have dragons and Bahamut, we have evil gods, we have pretty much everything. And hey, it's free to Lvl 60 as of the 11th of next month, which is some DAMN fine storytelling.

I'm mostly a solo player.
Tbh, I've made some friends in game which I run roulettes with and we made a static for POTD, but it's kind of... overwhelming for me, I like to play alone and not have to think about other people's time or adapt to their speed.

Guess Eureka is not for me?

Also I've read that you need Eureka for the 80 relic upgrade? Did I get it wrong?
Honestly, most of Eureka is very chill even before the nerfs. There's always a FATE train going around popping new FATEs (they're called "Notorious Monsters" in Eureka, like in FFXI). Just try to join one (use Shout chat) and contribute as best you can - no one is going to complain that you aren't pulling your weight because you're underleveled. We've all been there, don't worry lol

As for the relic, yes, you need to complete Eureka to fully upgrade them.
Edit: Wait, not the 80 relic. The 70 relic is Eureka.
80 Relic will be upgradeable through the new Bozja thing.

Last edited:
Does it play like that cancer FFXII or like something great like FFIX ?

One FFXII isn't a cancer, your opinion is bad, and you should feel bad.

Second, like neither? It plays like modern day MMO, a very well polished one, but an MMO nonetheless. It's real time, you use skills with cooldowns, ala say a Dragon Age maybe?

royox

etc ?

What makes it "best FF since FFX ?
Story, world, lore, the love the Devs are giving to it, gameplay, content and THE GOD LIKE OST.

Can i make my own party

Only on the last expansion. Before you get the FF story Feeling (your party of NPC that join you in adventure) but only during story Cutscenes, ingame you will be "alone" or with other players.

Is there cinematic story with truckload of FMVs

There IS cinematic story with a shit load of in-engine cutscenes involving the Main Characters and yours. In the last expansion your own character got much much more involved in the events of those scenes.

Does it play like that cancer FFXII or like something great like FFIX ?

It plays as a modern MMO. Real time, you press a button your character does that action. With global CD's, rotations, combos, etc.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Honestly, most of Eureka is very chill even before the nerfs. There's always a FATE train going around popping new FATEs (they're called "Notorious Monsters" in Eureka, like in FFXI). Just try to join one (use Shout chat) and contribute as best you can - no one is going to complain that you aren't pulling your weight because you're underleveled. We've all been there, don't worry lol

As for the relic, yes, you need to complete Eureka to fully upgrade them.
Edit: Wait, not the 80 relic. The 70 relic is Eureka.
80 Relic will be upgradeable through the new Bozja thing.
Isn't Bozja part of Eureka's arsenal? I thought I've read something like that on reddit but maybe I misunderstood.

Isn't Bozja part of Eureka's arsenal? I thought I've read something like that on reddit but maybe I misunderstood.
No, they're unrelated. The only reason Bozja and Eureka are spoken in the same sentence is because they're both large-field content that doesn't fit the mold of anything else in the game.
You might be thinking of Baldesion Arsenal, which is the final challenge of Eureka.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Jeeves

I can't comment on the recent patch cycle since I've been taking a break. Actually, I used to devote myself to an MMO that received very infrequent updates, so in my view the FFXIV community is spoiled when it comes to that.

But no one wanted to do those 100 quests following ARR, man. Please don't lump me in with one of your "kids these days". I took my time through ARR proper and enjoyed all I could along the way, even though the story was a little lackluster. I was in no rush to reach endgame. It was soul-crushing to learn that I had all those postgame quests to trudge through before I could look forward to the next meaningful event in the story I had been mostly enjoying. I wouldn't blame anyone else for quitting there. I watched plenty of new players call it quits around that point, and I held my tongue when I wanted to recommend the game to friends because of it. It was a shame because that boring stretch really didn't reflect the rest of the game at all.

For the long-term health of the community, it was important to take down that roadblock for newer players.

Thabass

Gold Member

etc ?

Where the fuck are you looking? FFXIV, for those who play it, consistently regard it as a great game. Hell, it's MY favorite Final Fantasy.

Last edited:
But no one wanted to do those 100 quests following ARR, man. Please don't lump me in with one of your "kids these days". I took my time through ARR proper and enjoyed all I could along the way, even though the story was a little lackluster. I was in no rush to reach endgame. It was soul-crushing to learn that I had all those postgame quests to trudge through before I could look forward to the next meaningful event in the story I had been mostly enjoying. I wouldn't blame anyone else for quitting there. I watched plenty of new players call it quits around that point, and I held my tongue when I wanted to recommend the game to friends because of it. It was a shame because that boring stretch really didn't reflect the rest of the game at all.

For the long-term health of the community, it was important to take down that roadblock for newer players.
First off, I'm not disagreeing with you - I acknowledge that it was a roadblock for many players and I hope the changes mean more players will at least see through to the amazing Heavensward.

That said, I simply don't think it was nearly as bad as some people made it out to be, and this is coming from someone who recently went through it all again with an alt character. The fetch quests were annoying, for sure, but something meaningful happens at the end of EVERY patch cycle - that's how they are designed. Shiva, Leviathan, Odin, Ramuh, King Mog, the Crystal Braves stuff, and the Red Banquet to name a few.
Again, if you're invested in the story then it all goes by smoothly, and you'll even pick up on some story beats before they're revealed.
On the other hand, if you're looking at a list of 100+ quests you have to complete to get to Heavensward, then it's probably going to look insurmountable and/or demoralizing to the point where you quit.

Fuz

Banned
No, they're unrelated. The only reason Bozja and Eureka are spoken in the same sentence is because they're both large-field content that doesn't fit the mold of anything else in the game.
You might be thinking of Baldesion Arsenal, which is the final challenge of Eureka.
Cool, thanks.

I can't comment on the recent patch cycle since I've been taking a break. Actually, I used to devote myself to an MMO that received very infrequent updates, so in my view the FFXIV community is spoiled when it comes to that.

Fuck Tataru and her jobs.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Where the fuck are you looking? FFXIV, for those who play it, consistently regard it as a great game. Hell, it's MY favorite Final Fantasy.

I read several reviews on rpgcodex and from their description it is basically standard MMO. Main story is bad, expansions story is good but overall nothing amazing and not really comparable to FF6-10. If someone doesn't like MMOs like me this probably will not be great game for them.

Which is why i asked when someone said best FF since 10. FF12 was mmoish and was bad because of it so if someone says best since 10 and avoids FF12 i thought this is actually closer to FF6-10 rather than standard MMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom