• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA offering license to several entities (C. Dring)

Like I said before, EA lives off Fifa and Madden mostly and if there next football game can’t be called Fifa 23 they are not gonna make the same money. EA is going to have to change because there bread and butter is Fifa
The people who annually buy FIFA will quickly figure out the new title name.

YuLY

I think this could have a huge impact on EA right ? I think its pretty clear what has kept them profitable for the last decade was FIFA and it's microtransactions. Not the failed project that was Anthem, not countless cancelled games like Star Wars ragtag or that open world game from Motive, not Dragon Age which was rebooted a 3rd time and at this point it will probably be a decade since the last one (crazy to think about it, and it was actually pretty profitable for them, AAA gaming is nuts now).
Yes sometimes you have a huge success like Jedi Fallen Order, but lets be honest, thats not what keeps a behemoth of a publisher afloat.

I really think this could have a huge impact on them if suddenly others are able to make FIFA games. I only hope the next Mass Effect is safe, which I do believe by multiple reasons and where the industry is heading that it might be the last one I get from my favorite francise.

Last edited:

jakinov

I know, but EA cant be as lazy if someone else does start making the better game.
If they can’t name there next game Fifa 23, they are not gonna get the same sales
Which would arguably make it less likely for em to die?

They probably can name it FIFA 23 still I don't see why FIFA wouldn't let them. If anything other people would be using new names. like FIFA 2K23. And when that happens I don't think there would be much confusion because we had NBA live 08, NBA 2k8 and NBA 08 at the same time but everyone knew to go buy NBA 2K.

REDRZA MWS

The future of football games is looking bleak atm, Konami and EA churning out shit and now the FIFA license is potentially going to a publisher/developer with no prior experience at making football games...
Sheesh. I’d be overjoyed as an NFL fan if they opened the license up to more than just EA. Competition is always good.

Kokoloko85

Which would arguably make it less likely for em to die?

They probably can name it FIFA 23 still I don't see why FIFA wouldn't let them. If anything other people would be using new names. like FIFA 2K23. And when that happens I don't think there would be much confusion because we had NBA live 08, NBA 2k8 and NBA 08 at the same time but everyone knew to go buy NBA 2K.

I only say that because I think I remember reading on here that EA were looking for a new name for there next football game because of the whole Fifa thing.
Might be a possibility they can’t use the name anymore. Which is pretty huge because they dummies I know that buy it just follow the word… Fifa!! Including alot of my friends who mindlessly buy it every year. And yes I tell them lol

Difference with NBA/ NFL/ NHL etc is its a league name while Fifa is everything football. Its like calling there next game PM 23 ( Premier league 2023 )

The only reason people buy it year in year out is because they were the only ones allowed to use the Fifa license, player names and team names and that they have the name Fifa which has built up for decades.

If another studio starts making football games with fifa licenses, player names and team names it will be huge. And EA not calling there next game fifa is gonna have a big negative impact

Time they start putting an effort

Kokoloko85

sorry but you're talking bullshit.

EA are cunts but they make the best selling football game out right now. Psyonix make a game about CARS playing something like football. why on earth would you think they could make a good football game?

if FIFA take the rights off EA then the next best option is actually Konami. As much as their football games suck they actually have some idea about WTF they are doing. there's really not anyone else out there that could pull a football game out their ass. well, i suppose there is Sports Interactive (Sega) who make the Football Manager games. That's a management simulator but their engine does have support for basic 3D football players/stadiums etc. it would be a lot of work to match FIFA but who knows....

I dont think he was totally serious but Id bet they’d make a better football game than EA. Fucking Fifa blows…..

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I could see MS offering a billion a year for this. Otherwise they'll sell 10% of what ps5 sells in Europe.

There's no friends in business but I think EA and Microsoft have a pretty good relationship. Would MS do something that would harm that? I could see them coming to some kind of partnership, but cutting them out, I'm not so sure.

reksveks

The future of football games is looking bleak atm, Konami and EA churning out shit and now the FIFA license is potentially going to a publisher/developer with no prior experience at making football games...
It's just the fifa and its competitions naming at the moment, fifpro is still fine so atm the only thing that changes is the name and any potential world Cup mode/version

Kerotan

There's no friends in business but I think EA and Microsoft have a pretty good relationship. Would MS do something that would harm that? I could see them coming to some kind of partnership, but cutting them out, I'm not so sure.
The only thing is Sony and uefa / fifa have a long term relationship so couldn't see them cutting out PlayStation.

reksveks

The only thing is Sony and uefa / fifa have a long term relationship so couldn't see them cutting out PlayStation
Would be the same type of issue as the MLB, no? It wouldnt really be cutting out Sony however it could be funny if we get a MS Fifa game on Sony consoles.

I don't see MS making a move to make a Fifa licensed game cause I suspect that they rather keep a positive relationship with EA and just take that 30% on mtx.

Last edited:
Would be the same type of issue as the MLB, no? It wouldnt really be cutting out Sony however it could be funny if we get a MS Fifa game on Sony consoles.

I don't see MS making a move to make a Fifa licensed game cause I suspect that they rather keep a positive relationship with EA and just take that 30% on mtx.
Yeah, FIFA wants their licensed games to release on every platform.

And yeah, idk which MS studio would even make sense to make a football game. I don't see it tbh.

Kerotan

Oh yeah I get you but MS breaking the bank to get a fifa game and it not exclusive is just retarded. They'd be better off breaking the bank to bring it to Gamepass day 1 instead.

CeeJay

Awesome news.
Finally the end of EA is near…
If only that was true.

The FIFA license on it's own is not worth as much to the game as you think it is. It's pretty much just a name and possibly an international tournament. The EA footy games are using the IP from hundreds of different licenses. This could backfire on FIFA when no one else wants to pay the ridiculous license fee and they end up crawling back to EA begging for their original deal.

This would be bigger news if it was FIFPRO who were holding out for a bigger fee. They're the ones who grant licensing to clubs, player names and likenesses (as well as deals involving individual clubs and league associations)

Sadly, this isn't as big a deal as it seems. It would be nice for EA to be given a kick up the backside. FIFA 22 is a decent game, but we football fans could have it so much better.

Inviusx

If EA aren't willing to pay, who else would? What they're asking for that license is insane.

I think FIFA will buckle here.

PaintTinJr

Anyone that worked in football game development back in the day when there was still 10 - 20 developers making AA/AAA footy games - that were eventually snuffed out by the lack of ability to be as good as ISS Pro 98/Evo or absence of the Fifa license - will probably be thinking this is madness from EA to let the license have others use it.

But football licensing has moved so much since it effectively killed off footy game development for everyone but EA and Konami, and on balance EA might get away with this short-term calling of Fifa's bluff - even if they will lose marketshare to eFootball (IMO - after seeing it has 7M downloads on PlayStore).

The only way I see this going badly wrong for EA, is if someone like Apple, Google and Amazon all take a third share of the license, and each put out a £2 MTX-free Kickoff/Sensible soccer clone on their stores. As much as I hate EA for killing off the viability of footy dev innovation in the last 20years, I think Fifa are idiots to push the price so high that even EA are prepared to let the chips fall, where they fall - and hope FUT is enough of a brand to keep the whales playing.

CeeJay

Like I said before, EA lives off Fifa and Madden mostly and if there next football game can’t be called Fifa 23 they are not gonna make the same money. EA is going to have to change because there bread and butter is Fifa
EA still have the license until FIFA 23 comes out.

All they have to do is use that product to pivot...

FIFA 23 *Insert new name here*

Then proceed to push that new name all over the game. They could even patch the game during the year to slowly make the FIFA 23 branding physically smaller compared to the new name. By the time the following year comes you have *Insert new name here* 24 and it's instantly recognisable to the yearly FIFA buyers.

EA still have the license until FIFA 23 comes out.

All they have to do is use that product to pivot...

FIFA 23 *Insert new name here*

Then proceed to push that new name all over the game. They could even patch the game during the year to slowly make the FIFA 23 branding physically smaller compared to the new name. By the time the following year comes you have *Insert new name here* 24 and it's instantly recognisable to the yearly FIFA buyers.
I won't be surprised if the name just becomes known as either EA Soccer/EA Football based on the territory.

Having the license to the teams is the main thing. EA would be fine and still sell a shit load even without fifa name. The same people will continue buying the game for their football fix.

PaintTinJr

Having the license to the teams is the main thing. EA would be fine and still sell a shit load even without fifa name. The same people will continue buying the game for their football fix.
I guess the question is how well the brand projects to those( used to be grand parents) that don't know gaming, but know football/fifa and would buy the game for younger gamers at xmas/bdays, etc.

The Fifa brand gave EA's game such prestige in shops that even PES would have very little presence in comparison IIRC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom