• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 19-25 | As Seen On WSHH

Anth0ny

bring her back!

myiJjb2.gif

3738992_ovijl5.gif

Nabs

Real talk, I've played a lot of silly side-show Fighting Games, and I'd prefer Dong Dong Never Die wholly over Jackie Chan arcade fighters
EVO premier game pls
, even as a fan of his top tier action choreo.

Damn right.

JeTmAn81

subbing.

man, posting using my vita because my s3 just shit the bed completely ....

new year, new lows ...

Vita browser is the worst. I'd rather post from a Newton.

BTW I still have an S3 as well. Battery life is awful and it sometimes powers off after taking a picture, but it keeps trucking.

stn

KOF14 definitely needs a better roster, was my only complaint with 13. Yamazaki, Krauser, Laurence, and others need to make appearances.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hopefully announcement means the lineup reveal. Not some announcement of an announcement.

Videogame industry makes me pessimistic at times.

Y'all think Capcom will stream another SF5 exhibition @ Evo?

There's supposed to be one later this month between Daigo and Gamerbee.

Lineup speculation time

-Oviously Ultra and Marvel are 100% sure to be there
-Killer Instinct has its new season so it's very likely to return
-A Smash is certain, but the question is if it'll be Melee or 4. 4 is newer, but there's no doubt that Melee is a beast that would bring huge numbers that could possibly be on par with Ultra and Marvel. Alternatively we could have both Smash games in there but I'm not sure how good of an idea that'd be.
-Mortal Kombat X is definitely getting in and most likely taking Injustice's place.
-GGXrd is a lock for the anime slot

After that it's where things get tough
-KoF is always hype, but I'm not sure if the numbers would support it again this year.
-No 3D fighters are likely to make it considering there's no way Tekken 7 makes it to consoles in time, Tag 2 had really poor numbers last year iirc, and all other 3D fighters don't really get as many people.
-Persona 4 Ultimax and Blazblue COULD fill a second anime game slot this year, but this time both have the usual ArcSys problem of having been made outdated by a new arcade version that we have no idea when we will get
-UNIEL is a third possible candidate for that second anime slot and, personally, I'd rather have it than the other two but that's me
-Skullgirls will finally make it in this year, right?...right?...*sigh*

I liked kof 13, thought it was decent, not great. Dont like games where landing your meter affects the pace and meta of the match so much. Encourages too much swinging for the fences, and the game rewards it. Also the 3 dlc chars, namely mr. Karate ruined it.

If they make another, i hope the pacing is a lot more like 98 or 2k2 where most of the damage is off pokes and general pressure. I will say tho that the first round in a kof13 match is some of the best in a fighting game released in the post 09 era. But its all downhill from there.

Lineup speculation time

-Oviously Ultra and Marvel are 100% sure to be there
-Killer Instinct has its new season so it's very likely to return
-A Smash is certain, but the question is if it'll be Melee or 4. 4 is newer, but there's no doubt that Melee is a beast that would bring huge numbers that could possibly be on par with Ultra and Marvel. Alternatively we could have both Smash games in there but I'm not sure how good of an idea that'd be.
-Mortal Kombat X is definitely getting in and most likely taking Injustice's place.
-GGXrd is a lock for the anime slot

After that it's where things get tough
-KoF is always hype, but I'm not sure if the numbers would support it again this year.
-No 3D fighters are likely to make it considering there's no way Tekken 7 makes it to consoles in time, Tag 2 had really poor numbers last year iirc, and all other 3D fighters don't really get as many people.
-Persona 4 Ultimax and Blazblue COULD fill a second anime game slot this year, but this time both have the usual ArcSys problem of having been made outdated by a new arcade version that we have no idea when we will get
-UNIEL is a third possible candidate for that second anime slot and, personally, I'd rather have it than the other two but that's me
-Skullgirls will finally make it in this year, right?...right?...*sigh*
Maybe if it had Mr.Satan on it's side. He really pulled through for Smash.

I haven't kept up. Is Skullgirls expanding, or contracting in its audience?

I was surprised that a freshman at school played it.

Honestly, I've been out of touch with the game ever since the Eliza patch and my local Skllgirls community is still inexistent so I'm not sure I could answer that accurately :|

Busaiku

100%
Ultra Super Street Fighter IV
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Super Smash Bros for Wii U
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
Mortal Kombat X

Moneyhat%
Killer Instinct
Injustice Gods Among Us

Very Likely%
Super Smash Bros Melee

Maybe%
The King of Fighters XIII
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Under Night In-Birth EXE Late

Probably not, but just maybe%
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma

Skullgirls%
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!

My guess (in order of entrants)...
1. Ultra Street Fighter IV (Sunday)
2. Super Smash Bros for Wii U (Sunday)
3. Super Smash Bros Melee (Saturday)
4. Ultiamte Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Sunday)
5. Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (Saturday)
6. Mortal Kombat X (Sunday)
7. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (Friday)
8. The King of Fighters XIII (Friday)
9. Killer Instinct (Sunday)

WarRock

What would be your guy's top tier games for a UFGT esque, showcase of the ultimate collection of unplayed non-mainline fighting games lost in time?
Hm, going mainly with console/handheld stuff:

Bloody Roar 2
Gundam Battle Assault 2
Gundam Wing: Endless Duel
Mighty Morphing Power Rangers
Custom Beat Battle Draglade 2
the crayon Naruto MUGEN
Psychic Force 2012
Breaker's Revenge
Def Jam FfNY: The Takeover
Rage of the Dragons
TMNT Tournament Fighters
Seifuku Densetsu: Pretty Fighter
Windy x Wandam (lol j/k)

I stopped tracking tourney numbers after EVO 2012's 102 entrants. I think 2013 had over 160 entrants and 2014 might have had 168? While searching I did come across the best unintended FG related pun I've ever seen and it put a smile on my face.

Top Bottom