• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Has anyone bought tickets to a show on Ustream before? I want to know how Ustream archives work for that kind of stuff and whether I can buy tickets after it's started.

Shun

What are your plans for the Tekken series in the future? Will they be balancing updates for existing games or is there a new title in the works?

Will there be any modes similar to Tekken Ball to return in new iterations of Tekken?

If you were able to do a Tekken crossover with any series, what are your top 3 choices?

How has the FGC in Japan and the West affected your role and your perspective in the Tekken series and fighting games in general?

Do you think Tougeki will be revived in the upcoming years or do you believe EVO is going to become the new tournament for the international fighting game scene?

Also ask him if the next Tekken game will be 1v1 or still have tag mechanics. If he doesn't say 1v1...punch him until he changes his mind.

alstein

+1 to the Steam question. That's the most important thing. (Personal opinion: given that TTT2 is almost certainly the last of its line of Tekken games creating a version for posterity's sake would be a nice thank-you to all the longtime players who might get left behind by a new Tekken)

My own personal second question- what do you want to experiment with in terms of future play mechanics for Tekken?

Azure J

A lot richer. The same goes for all the boroughs.

That feel when you see wide swathes of a neighborhood you've lived in for almost 25 years start to change and become incomparable to what they once were in a domino effect.

That feel when the property value has gone so high that you couldn't buy back the house you mortgaged for when it was 600K ish in 2007.

That feel when you hear that they almost tore two whole city blocks down a block away from yourself in a gentrification attempt to make room for college dorms and a quad area.

I swear it's like the Hey Arnold movie every time I think about this stuff. /tangent

alstein

All this gentrification and income inequality stuff- sometimes I want to take the FGC and start up a Bonus Round Army to camp near DC. ^_^

Horseress

Viscant doesn't forgives who streams anime

y90x.png

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
ExcitedBeast walked into Steak & Shake and the whole room started making lawyer jokes.

Poor guy. Nothing like being on the wrong side of a highlight reel.

Shito

I remember Harada mentioning somewhere that the average play session is about two and a half hours. That's kind of nuts (and honestly it seems a bit high), but I think we can get some idea of how successful the game is from that.

You get five free games per day off the bat, and they regenerate every 30 minutes. So in this play session, you'll have 10 free games. Here's the thing: you can play about 15-20 games of TRevo an hour (the matchmaking is pretty damn fast, thankfully). So in the average session, you're seeing about 35-50 games. Tokens go for $5 for 30 of them (16.66_ cents per token), but you get the token back if you win (or if the opponent disconnects). The total winrate is going to be 50% for obvious reasons. It's probably around 49.99% because of draws, and it may actually be higher due disconnects if it gives both players a win, but still.

So out of that you have roughly 10 free games, 12-20 paid games which are won and 12-20 paid games where they lose. So they're making somewhere between $2 and $3.33 per average session. The other half of the problem here is what does their daily active userbase (DAU) look like? Let's assume that 1% of the people who have downloaded it are still active (this is roughly in line with other F2P games) -- so that would put it at 25,000 DAU. From that, you would roughly make $50,000 to $80,000 a day -- or $18,250,000 to $29,200,000 in gross. That doesn't include anything like PSN fees (30% off the top, roughly) or server maintenance or development costs. The net minus PSN fees comes out roughly between $12,775,000 and $20,440,000. That's roughly the same take as a $60 retail game moving about 850k to 1.3M units (you sell a lot more gross, but you don't see nearly as much -- it's roughly what, 25% of retail that a developer-publisher sees).

I'll be honest, here: the low end seems high, but that would explain why more and more publishers are moving to a free-to-pay model. Yikes. D: I know personally I have around 1,000 games played in TRevo
and I've spent nothing on the game, heh
As someone who is working in f2p social games: your estimation of paying users is way way WAY too high. In reality, usually only 2 to 3% of the people playing a free game will make a purchase.

AAK

Just tell him and the Tekken team thank you for making Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I can't fathom any fighting game in history past or future ever touching this in terms of depth, quality, quantity, and balance. If life ever does force me to quit gaming, please do tell him that TTT2 made this person's time online and off in this hobby the greatest ever :)

.la1n

haha, thanks guys.

i think ill make an official thread and do a neogaf Q&A video with him?

That would be a great idea. All I want to know is the obvious stuff, what plans he has for fighting games moving forward.

Remember back in the day when shopping at Suncoast, 99% of the anime section is Sailor Moon.

That and Dragon Ball Z. All on VHS too :p

El Sloth

Banned
When will Namco stop treating Soul Calibur like it's red headed step child?

Serious questions: What excites him most about making a game for next-gen systems? In other words, what's something he's excited to try that he wasn't able to do previously because of hardware limitations. Does he believe Namco should become more involved in the competetive scene? Does he want to be? What are his thoughts on the social features in the xbone and PS4?

Sorry, I got a little carried away there.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So, I just went to dailymotion, and noticed a Gootecks and Mike Ross show splash banner across the homepage.

0_0 whoaaaaaaaaa.....

What has happened to the FGC in mine absence?

My questions for Harada:
Has he considered making Tekken movement more fluid, and less jarring? How would he go about doing this, if so?

With a huge cast of characters, where does he think the future of character creation lies?

Does he think the rage mechanic should stick around? Does Tekken need comeback mechanics?

I believe Harada already discussed Tekken on PC, at Comic-Con iirc. Said something about the engine the game is built on being too difficult to port to PC. Said he would consider it for a future Tekken though. He's a PC hobbyist so he should know what's up.

Top Bottom