• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

Sayah

Question: Is Nvidia GEForce GT 740M sufficient to run next gen fighters?

Also, my wishlist for Tekken 7:

1. Tekken Tunes needs to be a standard for fighting games and I expect it to return in Tekken 7.

2. A proper return for the World Tekken Federation service (now with ability to upload replays directly to youtube).

3. Continuation of online practice mode (with additional ability to do a position reset).

4. NEW Tournament mode with ability to plan online and offline tournaments with a large number of competitors.

5. Continued banning of online boosters/cheaters (Namco is the only company that has done this for fighting games, I think).

6. Button check at character select screen. Will save a lot of time at tournaments.

7. Online cross-play between PS4/PC and XBONE/PC versions.

8. Proper tutorial for newcomers. This is very important. Tutorial must go above and beyond. If they have the development time and resources, each character should have their own separate tutorial outlining launchers, tracking moves, puniers, juggles, etc.

9. A massive change in default character costumes. I know they want to maintain an iconic look for each character but I need a Tekken 4-type of change.

10. I want all the characters that spoke English before (not every character) to speak English again (i.e. Lili, Christie, Leo, etc). I'm in the minority on this one, I'm sure. Though, Miguel should still speak Spanish. English VA not very suitable for his character.

11. Return of Tekken Ball in glorious next-gen graphics.

12. Return of Tekken Force.

13. "The Final Battle" seems to indicate this will be the final Mishima storyline so I want the story to be epic (despite this being a fighting game).

14. The new characters need to be REALLY good. No more animu Alisa and Lars-type of characters. Alisa also needs to go into killer robot mode and get rid of that cheery persona.

15. Give players option to only see default costumes when playing against others online. Personally doesn't affect me as much but I know custom outfits are a turn off for some people.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Today is Ryu's birthday. Always something I'll remember because it is only a few days before mine.

All fighting games should be mandatory on PC.

I personally want to see how Namco is going to adjust to the times. So many people want to see Tekken being taken in a whole new direction.

NEO0MJ

Question: Is Nvidia GEForce GT 740M sufficient to run next gen fighters?

Barely, I think. The cheapest mobile GPU that can reliably run next gen games is the Nividia Geoforce GT 765M. But because fighters are required to run at a steady 60FPS your GPU might be able to handle them at low settings.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks like Tekken 7 will be released on PC too

BtBTo2cIgAA8JEV.png:large
lol @ using Amazon or retail pages as a source for anything. Especially Amazon.

UE4 makes it likely though.

Sayah

Today is Ryu's birthday. Always something I'll remember because it is only a few days before mine.

All fighting games should be mandatory on PC.

I personally want to see how Namco is going to adjust to the times. So many people want to see Tekken being taken in a whole new direction.

They will have to balance.

They can make the movement easier. Adjust grabs. However, removing bound would be very upsetting for me. I seriously could not get into Tekken Revolution for that one reason alone. It's a feature that I'm too used to and it would be annoying to have to adjust to play without it.

Barely, I think. The cheapest mobile GPU that can reliably run next gen games is the Nividia Geoforce GT 765M. But because fighters are required to run at a steady 60FPS your GPU might be able to handle them at low settings.

Sounds good. If it doesn't work out, I'll just have to buy a new laptop and sell off my current one.

NEO0MJ

lol @ using Amazon or retail pages as a source for anything. Especially Amazon.

UE4 makes it likely though.

Guilty Gear is UE3 and we're not getting it on PC :(
Though Namco has shown itself to be much more reliable when it comes to releasing games on PC.

They can make the movement easier. Adjust grabs. However, removing bound would be very upsetting for me. I seriously could not get into Tekken Revolution for that one reason alone. It's a feature that I'm too used to and it would be annoying to have to adjust to play without it.

What do you mean by bound?

Sayah

Guilty Gear is UE3 and we're not getting it on PC :(
Though Namco has shown itself to be much more reliable when it comes to releasing games on PC.

What do you mean by bound?

Bound is used in combos for additional hits/extra damage. It was introduced in Tekken 6. The opponent sorts of bounces on the ground and you can get in more ending filler moves as a result before ending your combo.

Bound was especially critical for TTT2's gameplay system since Tag Assaults are entirely dependent on and build around the bound system.

Youtube search led to this. Maybe it'll explain better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCtpsxDMBPQ

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Sounds good. If it doesn't work out, I'll just have to buy a new laptop and sell off my current one.

I have a GT740M in my laptop and it runs SF4 with everything maxed at 60FPS, but that's the only thing I play on PC so I can't really help with other games.

Sayah

I have a GT740M in my laptop and it runs SF4 with everything maxed at 60FPS, but that's the only thing I play on PC so I can't really help with other games.

Yeah, SFIV runs beautifully for me on PC. In fact, the only games I had trouble running so far are Dark Souls and Rise of Incarnates.

Dark Souls, I was able to fix the issues by turning v-sync off. RIse of Incarnates was just a mess, though.

Dahbomb

The title Tekken 7 and hyping up the Mishima storyline makes me worried it's not going to be the fresh start Tekken needs.
I don't think it is. It's still going to feature a ton of characters as well (somewhere between 35-40).

I expect some "stream lining" of mechanics but nothing to substantial. I am mostly curious in how they handle the online infrastructure and side modes/tutorials.

NEO0MJ

Bound is used in combos for additional hits/extra damage. It was introduced in Tekken 6. The opponent sorts of bounces on the ground and you can get in more ending filler moves as a result before ending your combo.

Basically ground bounces in Tekken

Oh, I didn't know this by name, though I used it when playing. You're saying it was removed in Revolution? That's a really strange decision.

Sayah

Oh, I didn't know this by name, though I used it when playing. You're saying it was removed in Revolution? That's a really strange decision.

Sorry, I had to edit like five times before I could make a coherent post.
But yeah, it was removed in Tekken Revolution because there is a sizable number of people that do not like bound.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If Tekken 7 doesn't make dramatic gameplay changes they fucked up.

Only a few days now until we get some more information though.

Dahbomb

Most people's problems with Bound aren't actually with Bound itself but rather the over indulgence of juggles in a Tekken game. I think most people had their upper limit reached when wall combos were introduced as an extension to regular combos but then Bounds came and it was like "nope nope nope I'm out".

There isn't anything fundamentally wrong with the mechanic itself.

Sayah

Only a few days now until we get some more information though.

Hopefully not an extended CG trailer. I NEED gameplay to analyze.

Most people's problems with Bound aren't actually with Bound itself but rather the over indulgence of juggles in a Tekken game. I think most people had their upper limit reached when wall combos were introduced as an extension to regular combos but then Bounds came and it was like "nope nope nope I'm out".

There isn't anything fundamentally wrong with the mechanic itself.

Getting rid of bounds at walls would make wall pressure boring. Oh, I wall splatted you. Now all I can do is an additional 2-3 hit string. Meeeeeh. Plus, people make all that extra effort to do wall carries.

Dahbomb

Getting rid of bounds at walls would make wall pressure boring. Oh, I wall splatted you. Now all I can do is an additional 2-3 hit string. Meeeeeh. Plus, people make all that extra effort to do wall carries.
Wall carry combos should just have the utility of cornering the opponent, limiting the space they can back dash in not having the extra utility of just piling on more damage. A bit of extra damage is fine but this is simply just another case of "lose harder" in Tekken.

Again there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with this but you have to view all of this from a newcomer's perspective. A newcomer messes up once, gets juggled, wall carried, wall splat/bounded then has to deal with additional pressure while his back is against the wall. This is the real thing that intimidates new players among things like move list bloat.

Onemic

Fuck bounds. Seriously. Turns Tekken into Marvel half the time.

I dont mind wall bounds as that's more specific and wont be seen as much(or at all) but regular bounds can go die in a fire.

Sayah

It will probably be more of the same gameplay will less characters and people making nude mods on PC.

Tag Assault substantially changed the gameplay for the series. Going from Tekken 6 to TTT2 was a rather big change for me. The netsu metagame, TAs, tag crashes......all of this stuff was unprecedented in the series before (although TTT1 did have red damage).

This is why I don't think Tekken 7 will just be an addition to Tekken 6's gameplay system. Obviously, it won't be a tag fighter so all the features I just listed will no longer be there. They will have to be innovative and get some new mechanics rolling.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It won't

There's no reason for them to. Game still sells well and does well at arcades. and their precedent is SC5, of which's reboot was not well received at all by the masses

alstein

It won't

There's no reason for them to. Game still sells well and does well at arcades. and their precedent is SC5, of which's reboot was not well received at all by the masses

SC5's reception had little to do with the gameplay. It had everything to do with a shit roster and compete focus on MP. (and Daishi's 3s fetishism didn't help)

Sayah

Wall carry combos should just have the utility of cornering the opponent, limiting the space they can back dash in not having the extra utility of just piling on more damage. A bit of extra damage is fine but this is simply just another case of "lose harder" in Tekken.

Again there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with this but you have to view all of this from a newcomer's perspective. A newcomer messes up once, gets juggled, wall carried, wall splat/bounded then has to deal with additional pressure while his back is against the wall. This is the real thing that intimidates new players among things like move list bloat.

It's not the bounds or the wall splatting that is the issue. It's the fact that a lot of newcomers do not know the proper get up options. If you're pressing 3, 4, or rolling back while on ground and cornered against a wall, you're doing it wrong. And this is what I see a lot of people doing. The safest option often is to roll over or to just press up and get up. Plus, Tekken also has wall jumps if you're feeling super cornered.

What is the strategic point of bound? What did it add to the meta? There's no reason not to do it and the options after were the same as always. I can't see what it added other than making wall combos and wall carrying even more ridiculous than they were in T5DR.

Sayah

What is the strategic point of bound? What did it add to the meta? There's no reason not to do it and the options after were the same as always. I can't see what it added other than making wall combos and wall carrying even more ridiculous than they were in T5DR.

Bound greatly improved the oki game.

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, without bound, there would be no tag assault and TAs are the defining gameplay mechanic for TTT2.

TAs = substantial increase in combo creativity and a pool of diversity in team synergy/strategies based on each character's individual strengths and weaknesses.

alstein

I felt bound made combos easier. It was a good break point- get to bound and the rest of it is pretty easy.

I'd like to see Tekken implement VF-style weight classes impacting juggles (but not open/close stance)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
SC5's reception had little to do with the gameplay. It had everything to do with a shit roster and compete focus on MP. (and Daishi's 3s fetishism didn't help)

Well that's what a reboot is to me

A roster reset and some sort of shift in core mechanics.

SC5 was rushed and the lack of single player hurt with its audience, but I think the biggest problem is how consumers seem to equate more characters with more value when it comes to fighting games, and react negatively to characters being "removed" from subsequent entries

Only need to look in any thread about Xrd to see the same.

So I doubt we'll ever see Tekken really scale back the roster size. Hell I wonder how the hell SF5 is gonna deal with the roster

And THIS guy is working on MKX. Ladies and gentlemen I give you 16-Bit.

Bound fixed like everything wrong & unbalanced about Tekken 5's juggle system with one mechanic.

It allowed for larger # of moves to gain utility in combos, it create far more oki options for characters, fixed the problem with risk/reward on hopkicks and other launchers as catching a character floating ment actual damage, it fixed the huge problem with bnb combo utility, evening the playing field, create a new kind of rest, made backroll catching universally stronger which feeds back into better oki options for the lacking cast members.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It won't

Eh, perhaps, but I don't think they're sitting there at the meeting table thinking how they can make it exactly like this one, especially when the genre isn't flaming anymore. I think they'd learn from what not to change and figure out what to change from SCV instead of figuring out how to replicate what they've already done one more time. And they're definitely feeling the pressure.

Also SCV did pretty well sales wise, assuming you also think TTT2 did well sales-wsie.

Deps

Bound adds oki options and bound standardizes combos, so every character has good damage. It's similar to how every character in mvc3 can launch and get at least good damage, whereas in mvc2 a lot of characters couldn't do shit and were useless compared to the top 4. T6/TTT2 have much better balance than T5 and a large part of it is bound.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
And THIS guy is working on MKX. Ladies and gentlemen I give you 16-Bit.

I don't get it either

I watched the video Sayah linked, and what I got out of it was "allows you to do more damage than combos without it"

When there's no reason not to do something it doesn't really add anything to the strategy of the game.

I get Sayah's point about how it enables TA, but I don't see how that's relevant to non-tag Tekken.

Bound adds oki options and bound standardizes combos, so every character has good damage. It's similar to how every character in mvc3 can launch and get at least good damage, whereas in mvc2 a lot of characters couldn't do shit and were useless compared to the top 4. T6/TTT2 have much better balance than T5 and a large part of it is bound.

How does Bound add Oki options?

Dahbomb

All I know is that I do not want to be in Harada's shoes right about now. No matter what changes (or non changes) he makes he will be alienating some folks.

Shouta

I don't really enjoy Bound, it basically reduces the game to the problem I have with SFxT now. Fishing for a single hit for a long ass combo for big damage and then back into the neutral game for another round of that. It technically makes neutral really important but it becomes the neutral equivalent of an arms race where you only play a certain type of neutral that works for that combo focused meta game.

As I've gotten better at neutral, I've begun to enjoy SFIV more than SFxT's versions and it kind has transferred over to Tekken as well. It works for Tag but I don't know if it'd be great for a single char Tekken.

alstein

I don't really enjoy Bound, it basically reduces the game to the problem I have with SFxT now. Fishing for a single hit for a long ass combo for big damage and then back into the neutral game for another round of that. It technically makes neutral really important but it becomes the neutral equivalent of an arms race where you only play a certain type of neutral that works for that combo focused meta game.

As I've gotten better at neutral, I've begun to enjoy SFIV more than SFxT's versions and it kind has transferred over to Tekken as well.

Could that be fixed by making alternative sources for big damage, such as CH deathfist type moves and higher damage more effective throws?

I don't know if a standardized combo system is a good thing. When I played T5DR a common issue was the characters that had insane wall carry, wall combos and wall pressure. There has to be more interesting ways of balancing a game than giving everyone this through a universal system.

Shouta

Could that be fixed by making alternative sources for big damage, such as CH deathfist type moves and higher damage more effective throws?

Possibly. It could also be done by reworking frame data and moves so that launchers into juggle combos are rarer. But tbh, that'd only really apply to TTT2 and I think it's fine for that game.

kirblar

GG and SF are the gateway points for their companies because they offer relatively short combos that get you back into the neutral game quickly. Soul Calibur also used to be like this, if I remember correctly.

livestreamer has saved my streaming life.

i recommend anyone who has a weaker pc/laptop that has issues streaming to try it. My craptop could barely stream the mobile quality, but i can stream at highest quality with it on vlc!

Shouta

GG and SF are the gateway points for their companies because they offer relatively sjprt combos that get you back into the neutral game quickly. Soul Calibur also used to be like this, if I remember correctly.

SC was much more neutral focused but that changed with SC3 and on. That's why I gravitated towards it over Tekken though I played both until the more recent iterations.

Top Bottom