• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Dreamhack Austin [CPT Premier event] [04/28-04/30]

Tripon

Last year Dreamhack was only a ranking event and was also competing with several other events that weekend.

This year, Dreamhack has the weekend for itself and was upgraded to a premier. You always want to see growth for events.

Speaking of growth, think entries for the tournament is down as well.

Kashiwaba

Last year Dreamhack was only a ranking event and was also competing with several other events that weekend.

This year, Dreamhack has the weekend for itself and was upgraded to a premier. You always want to see growth for events.

Speaking of growth, think entries for the tournament is down as well.
It's at 28k now and it's not the GF yet, #of the entries will never match the first year, now most players know they have no chance and there is no reason for them to travel and compete.

I think the time definitely has an effect on how many people are watching. I didn't think DH Austin was going to reach 50k, but at least 35-40 if it happened during primetime hours.

USF4 was so damn great near the end, I don't think SFV is going to reach that for awhile (if it ever does)

I've said this many times and I'll say it again. I think SF4(in general) is the more entertaining game to watch. The game itself just allowed for more crazy display of tech, reads, and just random but hype shit happening. SFV can still grow the viewer base from here on out but I think if SF4 were in this position it would have done a better job of that.

Syntsui

No one deserve to win that set, Punk fucked up enormously more than one time.

Justin simply outmediocred him.

This tournament will be free to Xian.

Tripon

It's at 28k now and it's not the GF yet, #of the entries will never match the first year, now most players know they have no chance and there is no reason for them to travel and compete.

Eh, it's not traveling and competing. It's about drawing in the local crowd, even at majors. Austin is supposed to be a big Street Fighter scene, but I'm not seeing them come out for Dreamhack for whatever reason.

This comes up every tournament. SFV will never reach the amount of entrants it had in the first year. People drop the game en masse and only the hardcore remain to jump back in every year. It'll happen with Tekken, it'll happen with Injustice, and it'll happen with Gundam.

jett

D-Member
Eh, it's not traveling and competing. It's about drawing in the local crowd, even at majors. Austin is supposed to be a big Street Fighter scene, but I'm not seeing them come out for Dreamhack for whatever reason.

Maybe you didn't notice but SFV is much less popular than SF4.

scrambled-eggs.jpg

Top Bottom