• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filled up my tank yesterday, $6.20 per gallon for regular

GeekyDad

Sure seems like they're simply trying to usher in electric energy for vehicles whilst milking the last of the oil demand (hence the horseshit "invasion" of Ukraine distraction). Covid milking had to take a break. It's oil's time again.
vintage milk GIF

The price will be sound for the bike and your savings in the long run, it doesn't justify some price hikes of course.

Cities are rough with driving in general. I bought a bike in early 2008 from a friend. Had it professionally powder coated and tuned up. It cost me all together something like $700, it's a fixed gear 1989 bianchi. I bought that because I was over taking public transportation. I grew up and lived in Phila. Septa is the equivalent of a "Express train to Hell". The subways all smelled like piss, Any giving week you were going to be welcomed with piss, shit, puke and other bodily functions that you shouldn't have to deal with when getting on public transportation. After taking it from a early teenager in the 90's up till 2008, I called it quits. It was well worth dumping all the money back then into the bike just so I wouldn't have to step in the nightmare that Septa offered as transportation.

I now live in Maine and have been since 2013. It was one of the best decisions I made in my life. Only reason I bring that up, if you can, and it's a option move out of a city.
I would love a fixed gear bianchi, sounds like one sexy bike

Mistake

It’s crazy how just a few years ago I could fill my car on $20, and now we’re hitting record highs AFTER covid. Food prices are going insane too. Yet what are we told? “Inflation is transitory,” “do it for your country and cut back,” and even “it isn’t our fault, it’s those guys over there!” This feels like an abusive relationship I can’t get out of, and they’re checking off every box in the process

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s crazy how just a few years ago I could fill my car on $20, and now we’re hitting record highs AFTER covid. Food prices are going insane too. Yet what are we told? “Inflation is transitory,” “do it for your country and cut back,” and even “it isn’t our fault, it’s those guys over there!” This feels like an abusive relationship I can’t get out of, and they’re checking off every box in the process
They know the human psyche and condition. They know battered wife Stockholm syndrome. The playbook has always been the same through history.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I am stubborn and I cut back spending on most things rising in prices, which does mean… most things right now.
Whatever. I don’t want to encourage it and I don’t need much.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Mike Rowe is falling on hard times.

And no .. ev vehicles are not the answer. They are way more expensive to own. Most repair and tire shops won’t touch them. You can’t drive across country. If the power goes out because of such things like winter storms or hurricanes then you are shit out of luck. In emergencies if your charge is low .. you are shit out of luck.

Putting my conspiracy hat on I believe it’s truly more about control than it is climate. The impact on climate doesn’t go down that much as electricity is still mainly created using oil and that’s a very inefficient process as there is very little storage options when compared to storing gasoline.

trikster40

$3.79 down here in Texas where I live. Goes up to $3.99 downtown where it’s always higher, but still reasonably priced.

Time for everyone to buy a bike!

Hardensoul

Gold Member

And no .. ev vehicles are not the answer. They are way more expensive to own. Most repair and tire shops won’t touch them. You can’t drive across country. If the power goes out because of such things like winter storms or hurricanes then you are shit out of luck. In emergencies if your charge is low .. you are shit out of luck.

Putting my conspiracy hat on I believe it’s truly more about control than it is climate. The impact on climate doesn’t go down that much as electricity is still mainly created using oil and that’s a very inefficient process as there is very little storage options when compared to storing gasoline.
Disagree on the bold area. I’ll preface, I’m not a climate change go green person. I bought my Tesla cause I wanted changed from over 25yrs driving gas and EV became easier and cheaper for me this time. Plus the performance was the deal breaker after the test drive.

Tesla before pandemic their cheapest Model 3 started out at 35k - that’s very compatible to low end luxury cars or sports cars.

Repair shops are obviously limited due to new tech but there aren’t much to maintain like gas cars! I can only think of wiper and wiper fluids and rare brake change but with regenerative braking pads won’t wear out as much. Tire changes I just had mine rotated wasn’t hard to find shop.

I just drove to Midwest in US over 2k miles round trip, no issues with charging - I took 3 hrs longer than my previous with gas. Can be done but if you want faster trip use gas cars.

The act of god scenario applies to gas too! Gas stations require electricity too! And if gas car are low on gas your shit out of luck too! But I understand you can bring gas jug to refill but who carries that around. Also if you driving around with und 1/4 charge or 1/4 gas you need to change your habit that’s just asking for trouble.

I’m not trying to be smug, just don’t like misinformation. My family members has gas cars too and yea they hurting in their pockets when they fill up.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's dropping here also, today I took Diesel for 47 CZK/L, which is 1.9EUR/L (2.1USD/L).

conpfreak

Hate to break it to you, but those things aren't true. If power is out, you aren't pumping gas either. That scenario doesn't change between EVs and gas, except for the fact that solar panel owners with backup batteries or generators don't have much to worry about. And if you know a storm is coming with an EV, you just plug up at home in anticipation. Gas cars get stranded in adverse weather conditions all the time due to bad planning.

Most tire and repair shops used to not touch Tesla's (not EVs) because they have special jack points required to be used to not damage the battery, or they just didn't know how to work on the cars and didn't want the liability. That's changed within the last year or so with so many Model 3/Y out there now.

LavosBit

Neo Member
Need to get gas today. My sticker is ready for the pump.
That’ll show that poor slob working there who has to peel it off.

Don’t mean to single you out, but this mindset has always been so bizarre to me. “Gas prices are expensive as fuck and really putting a hurt on my wallet… I know! I’ll spend some more cash on stickers no one will see or care about!” Like shit man, save yourself the money and time. You’re not winning over anyone who wasn’t already on your side to begin with.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's funny is that in the US 93% octane is considered "premium" gasoline. In Europe the shit tier gas is 95% octane and the premium is 97-98% octane.
That is because US uses PON to rate and not RON.

Europe vs the States

In Europe, gas stations describe different types of gasoline based on their RON rating. It is typical to have 100, 99, 98, 97 or 95 RON with prices varying accordingly. In the States the descriptions look a lot like RON, but they are not.

Pump gas

In the United States gas stations describe the types of gasoline based on the Pump Octane Number (PON). That number is the average between RON and MON. This causes many problems.

If a fuel is 98 RON then it will be 93 PON -> 93 PUMP
If a fuel is 95 RON and 87 MON then it will be 91 PON -> 91 PUMP

Our 93 is Europe's 98

We also have 94 which would be around 100 RON, and 104 which would be 110 RON.

Last edited:

speckz

I filled up this weekend for $3.85 for regular. Thank goodness I work from home, and I fill up the tank once every two months.

Mistake

You’re not winning over anyone who wasn’t already on your side to begin with.
Not true. A lot of people only understand until it affects them personally. I know this from dealing with clients, because I’ve had to raise prices on my services. The ones that complain the most are ones who helped make this problem in the first place. When they ask why, I tell them

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I'm glad I work from home, I usually fill up once every two weeks now. It used to be 5-6 times a month, premium gas.

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
Does the media think everyone is dumb and believe the gas prices are all because of the war?? I know some people obviously believe everything the media tells them but many people see through the bullshit and why their ratings are awful
YiVUGgd.jpg

I drive a lot and I'm thankful I have two vehicles because my truck is awful with gas but my main vehicle is a Hyundai and it gets good mileage. I probably drive at least 1500-2000 miles a month

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's around 2 euros/lt for gasoline and like 2.20 for fucking diesel here in sicily, crazy times...

If that 1,35 euros conversion someone made is correct, you are lucky af op...

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Man, I was upset I paid $4.70 a gallon for premium in Michigan. I'm thanking my lucky stars I've never seen above $5

Top Bottom