• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 rockets up sales charts after State of Play showcase

Draugoth

Gold Member

Final Fantasy 16 is rocketing up sales charts after its showcase yesterday.

April 13 saw a big Final Fantasy 16 gameplay presentation as part of a PlayStation State of Play broadcast. Now, the following day, Final Fantasy 16 sits atop Amazon US's(opens in new tab) best-selling games chart, overtaking the likes of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, NBA 2K23, the Resident Evil 4 remake, and the Dead Space remake

It's actually the $100 Deluxe Edition of Final Fantasy 16 that's currently reigning supreme atop the Amazon chart, while the $70 standard edition sits in the fourth place. The new showcase must've seriously impressed players if they're willing to shell out $100 on the new RPG on day one.

Looking elsewhere online, Final Fantasy 16's big new presentation is going down a treat with Final Fantasy fans. One dedicated fan on Twitter said it "single-handedly destroyed every narrative around the game. The game did the speaking," while another added "now everyone is screaming and raving which is amusing to me."

Astray

Gold Member
People like to waste their money with preorders 😒.

They never learn, do they.
Normally I'd say yes, but this game looks exceptionally polished already, and the developer has been surprisingly open both with previewers AND with trailers about almost all aspects of the game, to the point where last night's State of Play genuinely felt like a spoiler fest to me.

I think this game will break sales records for the franchise.

feynoob

Banned
Normally I'd say yes, but this game looks exceptionally polished already, and the developer has been surprisingly open both with previewers AND with trailers about almost all aspects of the game, to the point where last night's State of Play genuinely felt like a spoiler fest to me.

I think this game will break sales records for the franchise.
It might be exceptional, but it sends a wrong message to the industry.
People are spending for something they yet to play it.

saintjules

I mean if they are going to buy it either way, it's not really a waste of money.

Agree. I remember when local stores in my area had no physical copies of Returnal when it released. They were mostly for pre-orders only. So this was an incentive to those that want a physical copy of the game to get it day 1.

Reactions: Isa

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It makes sense because the looks phenomenal, and now we’ve seen some of the depth to it. I will be preordering this weekend as well, even if it’s just to show my respect to SE and the devs involved in the project.

Reactions: Isa

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
ffciyZ3.jpg

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Who the hell is pre-ordering this? If you don’t have someone else play it first, how will you know whether to stay at level 1 until the final boss, or grind your way to level 99 before leaving the starting area?

Go_Ly_Dow

Some demos are hit or miss, but after the showcase I think the demo they intend to release 2 weeks before release will be a massive hit and sell it to a lot of people.

Simply because it looks like an absolute blast to play and the production values are top notch.

bodine1231

Yeah pre-ordering now is silly, especially digital. Twenty years ago we HAD to preorder, especially RPG's (working designs im looking at you), because they were so limited and sold out quickly. A giant ass game like this? Na

tmlDan

It might be exceptional, but it sends a wrong message to the industry.
People are spending for something they yet to play it.
What message? buy a game from a dev who's proven? Preorder numbers are generally strong for devs who have earned it. The FF devs haven't released broken games historically and have shown what this game is about to gain consumer trust.

It's not a bad message, it's called reputation.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

These are enthusiast who value whatever extra bonus content that comes with pre-order purchases. In fact, it makes much more sense to pre-order today than it did back in the day because you are actually getting something in addition to the game. The value of the additional perks is subjective of course.

Aenima

Pre-ordering games, saves me money on physical copies, as the pre-orders here are always cheaper, then they raise the price a bit at launch day. But i usually just pre-order around 1 week before the launch, so just hope the game dont sells out. before that.
Wanted that deluxe edition for the steelbook case, but is a bit more expensive than im willing to spend, so standard edition it is.

Last edited:
Instead of stashing the money on your bank account and collecting interest, the publishers can get your interest now.
That would be fine if most people were making any money on savings.
If you're investing properly, you shouldn't have to worry about the pennies in interest you'll make on 70$ in a savings account. Better off with an actual IRA, 401K, and a brokerage account. My spending money has nothing to do with my savings and investments. If I want to make money on 70%, im putting it in my brokerage, not my savings account.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Stupid question, but is FFXVI another Ivalice FF? I'm praying not, I hate that fucking world they made and all the junk games in it (Excluding FF Tactics original, though I still hate its world). I already hate the medieval look of this game, but I'm hopeful its a new world with none of the connections to those horrible games.

Fbh

Stupid question, but is FFXVI another Ivalice FF? I'm praying not, I hate that fucking world they made and all the junk games in it (Excluding FF Tactics original, though I still hate its world). I already hate the medieval look of this game, but I'm hopeful its a new world with none of the connections to those horrible games.

As far as I know it's not another Ivalice FF.
But it's being made by many of people behind the Ivalice games so if you didn't like those you might not like this

We may not like the new format since we came from the E3 and showcase generation, but Sony and Nintendo sure know what they're doing with them.
I definitely prefer the showcase feel of actual E3. As a pilot who also owns an aircraft, I got to fly down twice for the show, but I can tell you there is a huge difference between what e3 was when I first went, and when I last went in 2018. The 2018 show was a mess, while 2015 was an incredible experience. I understand why the press was unenthused about it, especially after the ESA doxxed them all lol

Pagusas

Elden Member
As far as I know it's not another Ivalice FF.
But it's being made by many of people behind the Ivalice games so if you didn't like those you might not like this
Yeah I'm preparing for disappointment with it. Hopefully that will lead me to having such a low bar and expectation that I'll actually love it. But if its the same people behind all the Ivalice games, I need to lower that bar even more.

Sweden85

On what place in the preorder chart is Redfall? Can't seem to get the website to open up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom