• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Has Sold Around 2 Million Copies, PS5 Player Data Suggests

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Due to my backlog, I haven't even started the game.

Unless SE gives a PR statement for sales, this is BS.

Also, putting Daniel Ahmad as a Source is more BS, he's the guy that said in 2020 that SIE games don't make any profit at all. He's been wrong plenty of times.

Yeah I dunno why we're using him as a source. Proven fake multiple times and worst of all he was a heavy REEEE poster.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Next time dont make 100 hour games with 30 mini games, and focus on a tighter more cohesive experience.

They inflated the length of the first game and then said they will take another 2 games to tell the full story. nonsense. strip out all the nonsense and you couldve told this story in one 50 hour long game.

It has like the highest metacritic game out there this year. You didn't like it. Most did. You can easily skip most of the mini games.

Game is an epic adventure and I wouldn't have it any other way.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
People are coping really hard in this thread. The fact that Square Enix didn't brag about FFRebirth sales yet strongly indicates that it's underperforming previous entries like ff16 and Remake. Those numbers seem to align with that, even if a bit conservative.

Also exclusivity hurts,sure, but doesn't change the fact this game is selling less than previous games on PS platform alone.

Final fantasy as a brand is dying because Millenials are getting old and checking out of the market; Zoomers are too busy playing other games.

Square needs to either revamp the franchise to appeal to zoomers and alphas or lower the budget and scale and focus on the fewer millenials left.

The 2 Million number is BS, plain and simple.

It may be underwhelming to Square, we don't know, but that's besides the point. It's easily sold over 3M units right now.

more like they need to be able to deliver a proper FF formula they have missed since FFIX
Traditional PS1 era FF games didn’t have a formula they can adapt today. You reach a certain point in game world, it will trigger a cut scene and take you to next area. Such games SE still makes today in top dows 2D games like Bravely Default.

To make something equally compelling, they will have to innovate and come up with a new game design.

Personally I feel they should just take the easy way out and make their version of Witcher 3. People play these for music, graphics, story. Just focus on that. No need to build long dungeons, mini games etc.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Ok the 2.2 million is peak active users which means it's most likely sold much more as that would mean every person who bought it to date happened to be playing at the same time. What a ridiculous headline

I have the CE and haven't started it yet

People saw a gameplay trailer and were like nope. They wanted a remake of the remake.

My guess is they are waiting until Playstation 7 to buy the remake of the remake.

nosoynadie22

Gold Member
In my opinion, once you open your franchise to other platforms you can't go back, this should have come out on PC. Another problem is that by dividing FF7 into 3 parts, only those people who played and finished part 1 will be able to buy part 2

ProtoByte

I wouldn't count on Ampere Analysis or daily active player count for a fucking SP game to estimate unit sales. That being said, it's clear this game is not doing amazingly.

As always with FF, people will use that information to confirm what they want to be the conclusion. Exclusivity bad this (not knowing what PC sales of the previous game were like and acting like well positioned exclusives don't often outperform multiplats), would've sold better turn based that (despite all available data signaling otherwise), bonus points for some anti-Nomura preaching, without really thinking or admitting the truth.

Fabieter

Sqaure need to stop doing demos it's always doing more harm than good to their games. I really think forspoken and rebirth would have done significantly better without the demo.

leo-j

Clearly exclusivity isn't helping the brand, I continue to be baffled as to how Square thinks taking a $20 million check from Sony is helping them when they're trading millions of day 1 sales on PC and Xbox for it. Nobody gives a fuck about these games 1+ year later when they're catalogue subscription service fodder, of course they sell like shit on other platforms at that point.
I highly doubt the game would have sold millions on Xbox, they tried to test those waters with crisis core and FF XV already and other FF games that are on that platform….. same with switch, their biggest FF user base rn is on PS and it has been since the ps1 era, outside of XIV. Tbh tho games aren’t selling as well as last gen for sure, and the whole GAAS thing imo is having an affect . You didn’t have a honkai star rail, FF XIV, or other big MMOrpgs that are f2f or subs during the ps1 era of FF as well. Also FF was the top rpg franchise in the 90s, that’s no longer the case post FF XIII. Other big rpgs have come out and been higher sellers and of higher quality , square dug themselves with the XIII franchise and XV(originally a XIII spin off). FF VII remake was a return to quality gaming rpgs for them imo, which at times playing that game I wondered how they made a game that good considering their earlier outputs of FF XV and KH 3 being lack luster ps2/ps3 era like gameplay (these games were prob in development for a decade +), but even that has only sold 7 million ish due to FF losing steam hardcore with the rise of other IP.

Last edited:
Traditional PS1 era FF games didn’t have a formula they can adapt today.
They had a formula but couldn't make it work in the 3D era due to the lack of technology on their part

You reach a certain point in game world, it will trigger a cut scene and take you to next area. Such games SE still makes today in top dows 2D games like Bravely Default.
That's very reductionist because you could say the same thing about any game. There were many moments where storytelling was interwoven with gameplay, making them feel ambitious and like pushing the medium forward

To make something equally compelling, they will have to innovate and come up with a new game design.
I will phrase it as: They need to bring back the old design and innovete on top of it

Personally I feel they should just take the easy way out and make their version of Witcher 3. People play these for music, graphics, story. Just focus on that. No need to build long dungeons, mini games etc.
that is an Issue.

When you compare the design sensibilities of the old FF games 7, 8, 9 with modern game design, especially after the boom of open worlds, and then contrast how their own entries (X through XVI) have been 'evolving,' you'll notice that the old games didn't incorporate:

- Checklists
- Waypoints
- Sidequests presented in the modern way

I will argue that these three points are among the worst design aspects of open worlds. now add the total failure of SE to deliver the true FF experience since X, and instead, we have been getting:

- Corridors
-mismatch art direction (NPC main characters)
- Weak character/stories
- Stagnation in gameplay
- Not a true FF open world (flying)

It feels like FF has not been able to reach the highs it once did and, most importantly, that they're lagging behind in a medium where they were once at the bleeding edge of technology and storytelling

FF doesn't need to follow the western open world desing. (Ubisoft, Rockstar, Guerrilla, CDPR)

They need to find a way to achieve what the old ones did but with innovations and advancements you would expect to see today.

The closest one to achieving this was FFXII. After that, every game felt like a step backwards.

and as many have said, nostalgia is doing the heavy lifting for FFVIIR

Pejo

Gold Member
Pretty poor sales if true. I am waiting for the PC version, but I hear it's a good game.

I still wish they'd give ATB another go with a big budget mainline game.

Go_Ly_Dow

Draugoth Draugoth

I believe the data which probably is a guess anyway is saying 2.2mil at launch, so day 1 sales if this was to be believed.

Dragons Dogma 2 sold 2.5mil after 10 days and we can see in Europe Rebirth is in line with DD2 sales, in Japan it's much ahead, so no way it's just at 2mil sales LTD as the thread title suggests.

I think somewhere in the region of 3-4mil right now.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Will probably end up waiting for the PC version of Part 3 with at least a 50% sale on both. The story is convoluted for the sake of being convoluted and is mostly quest checklists in each zone and playing FF version of Mario Party.

It's curious to me that both Granblue Relink(love the combat!) and Dragon's Dogma 2 both had concrete sales announcements within 1 week and months later you still can't get a good answer on how much this game sold. On 1 platform.

My time spent with the PS5 version tells me the combat is marginally fun but I'd probably only play through the game once. And little things like character level, gear and materia not carrying over bothers me a great deal.

With other games that let me explore the entirety of the world map like Dogma, Witcher, Zelda I feel underwhelmed with the barriers that exist within Rebirth. Ironically I felt there was more freedom with OG FF7 then with this Episodic Trilogy.

Not much mystery and intrigue really left to explore in FF7 mythos IMO.

Reallink

I highly doubt the game would have sold millions on Xbox, they tried to test those waters with crisis core and FF XV already and other FF games that are on that platform….. same with switch, their biggest FF user base rn is on PS and it has been since the ps1 era, outside of XIV. Tbh tho games aren’t selling as well as last gen for sure, and the whole GAAS thing imo is having an affect . You didn’t have a honkai star rail, FF XIV, or other big MMOrpgs that are f2f or subs during the ps1 era of FF as well. Also FF was the top rpg franchise in the 90s, that’s no longer the case post FF XIII. Other big rpgs have come out and been higher sellers and of higher quality , square dug themselves with the XIII franchise and XV(originally a XIII spin off). FF VII remake was a return to quality gaming rpgs for them imo, which at times playing that game I wondered how they made a game that good considering their earlier outputs of FF XV and KH 3 being lack luster ps2/ps3 era like gameplay (these games were prob in development for a decade +), but even that has only sold 7 million ish due to FF losing steam hardcore with the rise of other IP.
Xbox by itself no, but PC and Xbox combined would likely do a minimum of 50% of Playstation's volume, and possibly as high as 75%. FF15 was a decade ago with a 1.5 year delay on PC, and Crisis Core was a PSP remaster that didn't sell well anywhere, so not exactly the most compelling arguments for exclusivity being fiscally responsible in 2024.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Xbox by itself no, but PC and Xbox combined would likely do a minimum of 50% of Playstation's volume, and possibly as high as 75%. FF15 was a decade ago with a 1.5 year delay on PC, and Crisis Core was a PSP remaster that didn't sell well anywhere, so not exactly the most compelling arguments.

Do you have data from japanese games which suggest that playstation only makes like 1/4 of xbox+pc. Or is this typically copium.

Will probably end up waiting for the PC version of Part 3 with at least a 50% sale on both. The story is convoluted for the sake of being convoluted and is mostly quest checklists in each zone and playing FF version of Mario Party.

It's curious to me that both Granblue Relink(love the combat!) and Dragon's Dogma 2 both had concrete sales announcements within 1 week and months later you still can't get a good answer on how much this game sold. On 1 platform.

My time spent with the PS5 version tells me the combat is marginally fun but I'd probably only play through the game once. And little things like character level, gear and materia not carrying over bothers me a great deal.

With other games that let me explore the entirety of the world map like Dogma, Witcher, Zelda I feel underwhelmed with the barriers that exist within Rebirth. Ironically I felt there was more freedom with OG FF7 then with this Episodic Trilogy.

Not much mystery and intrigue really left to explore in FF7 mythos IMO.

1. Alot of classic ff had mini games
2. Fvii original wasn't more free it just wasn't.

Nostalgia und hate is a hell of a drug tho.

yazenov

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth actually sold more than Dragon's Dogma 2 which is on multiple platforms in the first 2 weeks aka launch align in the European charts.

It was also close to its sales in the UK.
In Japan, FF7 Rebirth sales are higher than Dragons Dogma 2.

And we had a PR from Capcom stating that Dragons Dogma 2 sold 2.5 million copies in the just eleven days.

Given these facts, FF7 Rebirth must have sold above 3 million now if we are talking about 1 month sales.

SE also must have received a big pile of cash from Sony for its exclusively. So the game must have exceeded SE expectation on both fronts.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
1. Alot of classic ff had mini games
2. Fvii original wasn't more free it just wasn't.

Nostalgia und hate is a hell of a drug tho.

Sure. But weren't necessarily required for game progression. Here it's baked into plot progression. I find the original more free as you had choice of exploring the World Map instead of being put on rails.

The shiny new thing and the honeymoon phase is hell of a drug tho

Go_Ly_Dow

DD2 2.5 mil sales after 11 days

Japan FF7 vs DD2 Physical sales (not including digital and PC)
Would guess Rebirth is over 400k with digital included and DD2 over 100k on PS5, but outsold DD2 by a decent margin here.

Europe March Data
There was one new game that managed to overcome the deluge of Command & Conquer titles and that was Capcom's Dragon's Dogma 2, which was a strong hit across Europe. It's one of two big Japanese RPGs to launch this year so far, following Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth at the end of February. Comparing the first two weeks on sale for both games, Final Fantasy just about beat Dragon's Dogma. Note: Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth was only released on PS5, whereas Dragon's Dogma 2 is on PS5, PC and Xbox.

US
No comparison yet, but can see Rebirth was the 2nd best selling game in Feb across all platforms with just a few days sales.

The article says 2.21mil launch so if it was correct then we can probably assume higher than 2.5mil after 11 days and likely over 3mil now.

Last edited:

yazenov

DD2 2.5 mil sales after 11 days

Japan FF7 vs DD2 Physical sales (not including digital and PC)
Would guess Rebirth is over 400k with digital included and DD2 over 100k on PS5, but outsold DD2 by a decent margin here.

Europe March Data

US
No comparison yet, but can see Rebirth was the 2nd best selling game in Feb across all platforms with just a few days sales.

The article says 2.21mil launch so if it was correct then we can probably assume higher than 2.5mil after 11 days and likely over 3mil now.

Yeah, no way it's less than 3 million after 1 month of sales given these facts.

Reallink

Do you have data from japanese games which suggest that playstation only makes like 1/4 of xbox+pc. Or is this typically copium.

Do huh now? 50% of Playstation's volume means if it sold 4 million on Playstation, it's likely to sell 2 million on Xbox + PC, and possibly as high as 3 million (75%). To your question on Japanese title's performance outside of Playstation, yes, Dragon's Dogma 2 and Elden Ring peaked at like 250k and 1 million concurrent players on Steam, and that was launch week concurrent users, meaning actual unit sales were much higher than that. Fun fact, they both had day 1 PC releases, not 1.5 year delays like Square-Retard does. Nobody buys these type of games 1-2 years later, especially at the $50 and $60 they try to charge.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Sure. But weren't necessarily required for game progression. Here it's baked into plot progression. I find the original more free as you had choice of exploring the World Map instead of being put on rails.

The shiny new thing and the honeymoon phase is hell of a drug tho

Stuff like the bike chase in the original was basically a mini game too and the highly loved ffx had dozens of situations where you had to do mini games and people had no problem with it. Forced blitzball actually makes it the worst mainline final fantasy.

The classic final fantasy games were on rails too. I agree you had more to explore because if you fucked up and run a screen to far you were locked out of summons or super strong weapons.

Final fantasy can't catch a break if most of the fanbase is crying that they want their specific thing.

Fabieter

Do huh now? 50% of Playstation's volume means if it sold 4 million on Playstation, it's likely to sell 2 million on Xbox + PC, and possibly as high as 3 million (75%). To your question on Japanese title's performance outside of Playstation, yes, Dragon's Dogma 2 and Elden Ring peaked at like 250k and 1 million concurrent players on Steam, and that was launch week concurrent users, meaning actual unit sales were much higher than that. Fun fact, they both had day 1 PC releases, not 1.5 year delays like Square-Retard does.

Well dragons dogma 1 and dark souls sold millions on pc years after the console release so maybe the day and date argument is nothing but a shitty excuse for a shitty sales performance. I never hear that argument with late console ports tho so yea its redcioulous.

Fabieter

It's highly likely that it's at least at 3m by now. But we can't know either way. But to think that 2m figure is the current state of the sales is definitely stupid.

Good. I guess SE should have given a remake that the majority of fans of the OG actually wanted. Same story, but improve the graphics, add good voice acting, and maybe some gameplay improvements. Instead, we get this fanfic crap where Sephiroth keeps inserting himself everywhere, killing any foreboding feeling you get knowing you will eventually have to encounter this unseen foe at some point in time. Worst of all, he knows all and is trying to change the story.

That's not a remake. That's more like a sequel that shamefully just replays the greatest hits from the previous game/movie, only worse. It's basically the Matrix Resurrections of gaming.

Fabieter

Good. I guess SE should have given a remake that the majority of fans of the OG actually wanted. Same story, but improve the graphics, add good voice acting, and maybe some gameplay improvements. Instead, we get this fanfic crap where Sephiroth keeps inserting himself everywhere, killing any foreboding feeling you get knowing you will eventually have to encounter this unseen foe at some point in time. Worst of all, he knows all and is trying to change the story.

That's not a remake. That's more like a sequel that shamefully just replays the greatest hits from the previous game/movie, only worse. It's basically the Matrix Resurrections of gaming.

Interesting, in my opinion 1:1 remakes can go to hell. No interest in playing any of those anymore. If i have a feeling that i was already here than its a bad remake. Resident Evil and Ff Viir is the gold standard as far as renakes go.

A lot of love went into the game, would be tragic if they have to cut back on the third instalment. Just the cutscenes and music alone must have cost a fuckton to produce.

GymWolf

giphy.gif

Dying series if true. Its no one's fault but SQEX.

1) Short sighted exclusivity deals alienate fans and limit growth
2) Putting your best team on remakes for a decade is one of the worst management calls of all time
3) FFXVI had unforgivable design shortcomings.

Every SQEX exclusive on PS5 has underperformed. Forspoken, Foamstars, FFXVI, FFVII, and FFVII-2. Great strategy.
Where should they have put it on, xbox? Xbox players don't buy games. Sales data shows this.... Switch? It's already struggling to run on Sony consoles. Maybe they can release it as a launch game for switch 2.

Fabieter

Dying series if true. Its no one's fault but SQEX.

1) Short sighted exclusivity deals alienate fans and limit growth
2) Putting your best team on remakes for a decade is one of the worst management calls of all time
3) FFXVI had unforgivable design shortcomings.

Every SQEX exclusive on PS5 has underperformed. Forspoken, Foamstars, FFXVI, FFVII, and FFVII-2. Great strategy.

Do you have data of the final fantasy games underperforming? Not disclosing anything dont mean anything or else xbox would be dead by now.

Reallink

Well dragons dogma 1 and dark souls sold millions on pc years after the console release so maybe the day and date argument is nothing but a shitty excuse for a shitty sales performance. I never hear that argument with late console ports tho so yea its redcioulous.

Those were among the first wave of major JP games appearing on Steam, benefiting immensely from the novelty, much less competition on the platform (and gaming in general), and were perpetually $5 - $10 somewhere (which likely accounts for >90% of their volume). Sony's early round of PC ports also did gangbusters, but every subsequent release has done significantly worse--so much so I'm not even sure it's worth the resources to continue porting them. There simply aren't massive numbers of people who are interested in buying or rebuying 2 and 3 year old catalog title ports, there's too much competition for people's money and time these days. Long tails are exceptionally rare and among these years old ports, you will maybe see 1 title out of dozens that actually manages to move multiple millions of units. Once they're out of a similar honeymoon novelty period, years old Xbox games are also going to sell like shit on Playstation.

Last edited:

Fabieter

more like they need to be able to deliver a proper FF formula they have missed since FFIX

Every franchise is allowed to evolve why isn't ff allowed to do the same?

Look I also would prefer classic zelda over the mess it is now but people like it. It's just isn't for me anymore period.

Fabieter

Those were among the first wave of major JP games appearing on Steam, greatly benefiting from the strong novelty factor, much less competition on the platform (and gaming in general), and were perpetually $5 - $10 somewhere (which likely accounts for >90% of their volume). Sony's early round of PC ports also did gangbusters, but every subsequent release has done significantly worse--so much so I'm not even sure it's worth their costs and time to continue porting them. There simply aren't massive numbers of people who are interested in buying or rebuying 2 and 3 year old catalog title ports. Long tails are exceptionally rare and among these years old ports, you will maybe see 1 title out of dozens that actually manages to move multiple millions of units today. There's too much competition for people's money and time these days.

A late Bloodborne port would also sell easily 10m. A late game must be good and the must hit the market in the right time and the right way and it will sell. Late ports can sell on all platforms its a tool to port beg nothing else.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Final fantasy as a brand is dying because Millenials are getting old and checking out of the market; Zoomers are too busy playing other games.

They need an ff7 level event with zoomers but these new players aren’t interested in games like ff so adapting the series to them is going to be an exercise in creativity and risk, both things SE is averse to.

yazenov

Do you have data of the final fantasy games underperforming? Not disclosing anything dont mean anything or else xbox would be dead by now.

No data, just wishful thinking.

They hope it underperforms so the next one won't skip their favorite console.

Shifty1897

Due to my backlog, I haven't even started the game.

Unless SE gives a PR statement for sales, this is BS.

Also, putting Daniel Ahmad as a Source is more BS, he's the guy that said in 2020 that SIE games don't make any profit at all. He's been wrong plenty of times.
Except Insomniac got hacked and we saw that all their games didn't make much profit at all (or lost money, in the case of Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart).

As for me, my copy got bought last night by my wife for my birthday, but I probably won't start it until June or July when my backlog allows it.

Reallink

A late Bloodborne port would also sell easily 10m. A late game must be good and the must hit the market in the right time and the right way and it will sell. Late ports can sell on all platforms its a tool to port beg nothing else.
So your position is that Final Fantasy ports don't sell because they're shitty and release at the wrong time? Seems we're in agreement on the second part, but if the games are shitty why are you here championing exclusivity for bad games?

Last edited:
Top Bottom