• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Spoilers Thread!

stickkidsam

Gold Member
If you want the original story, just go play the original.

I can do this too.

The point is that they strayed far from the original as early as the battle system reveal, but fans of turn based combat were told "it's better, it's not a big deal, get over it". Just having a few sweet revenge laughs.
I understand why people were upset over the change to gameplay. Action combat just isn't a lot of people's jam and for them it may take away from their ability to enjoy the story.

I'd argue consistency in story is more important than keeping to the same genre of gameplay though, at least for Final Fantasy games. You need to keep the things that made original's gameplay special of course, but Action vs Turn based never felt like the core of Final Fantasy VII to me. You could switch it out for any genre of gameplay but maintain the surrounding gameplay elements (e.g. mini games, combat systems, materia, items) and it would still feel like Final Fantasy VII because the genre is a vehicle to drive through the narrative.

The story sits above the mechanics of the game because without the story it loses what makes it stand out among other games. Now we are finding out that not only is the genre not the same, but the story may very well be completely different too. Kinda changes what people were expecting out of a remake.

post the damn tifa lewds before i piss myself
Now we're asking the real questions

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The meltdowns begin.

So how do you think the average normie who worships FF VII will take it?

The game will do well both commercially and critically. And many fans won't care.

KH3 has one of the worst stories in a videogame, and it was the best selling game in the franchise and has tons of fans. Some folks just don't care, they want a dumb anime story. And thats what they are getting lol...

Ixion

BUhy4V8CMAAhUNM.jpg

Sephimoth

I'm about half way through the game, thoughts so far:

(no plot points but spoiler tagging in case)

Up to where I am, it follows the basic plot steps of the original game but most sections are stretched out and lots of new filler parts added in between. When I say stretched out, I mean they took a part that was 2 screens in the original and made a chapter out of it. Some of them I like, others feel a bit of a slog.

I am enjoying the game a lot but the pacing doesn't feel as tight. Graphics, locations etc are great, combat works fine.

Last edited:

Mojo1990

The amount of phony outrage in this thread is both hilarious and sad. Like eating sweet & salted popcorn 🤣

The characters we were all attached to were drawn by Nomura.
The story we all loved written by Nojima.
Both Nojima and Nomura are reprising their roles. Renewing and remaking what they bothhad originally conceived.

The original story has not been changed*. In so far as *their tragectory remaining the same.
What we have here is a new element to the narrative involving (maybe?) alternative timelines.
The healing rain and life energy can be explored in many ways.
Some "What If" questions are now realised.
What if Zack survived?
What if Sephiroth survived?

Mojo1990

The remake narrative/tragectory/progression adds a very interesting twist in my eyes.

I can't wait for the open world exploration. PS5 and XSX should provide all the resources necessary for realising this. No More compromise. 👍

Last edited:

chitzy

Banned
The amount of phony outrage in this thread is both hilarious and sad. Like eating sweet & salted popcorn 🤣

Both Nojima and Nomura are reprising their roles. Renewing and remaking what they bothhad originally conceived.

The original story has not been changed*. In so far as *their tragectory remaining the same.
What we have here is a new element to the narrative involving (maybe?) alternative timelines.
What if Zack survived?
your argument is that we should all be okay with them butchering the story we know and delivering some retarded time travel plot because these decisions were made by the people who wrote the original story?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

What if Zack survived?
That makes it a literal fanfic any way you spin it. The people that appear to have bought a 1/4 game at full price were expecting the original game with better graphics and gameplay. I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rat Rage

Gold Member
The game will do well both commercially and critically. And many fans won't care.

I highly doubt they are fans. I don't even think anyone is a real fan of Final Fantasy VII if they think it's ok to change the whole combat system.

For the sake of an example: Imagine you are a Quake III Arena fan and suddenly a Quake III Arena "Remake" turns out to have a cover-shooter gameplay mechanic. How could anybody, who claims to be a fan of the original, possibly be ok with that?

stickkidsam

Gold Member
I highly doubt they are fans. I don't even think anyone is a real fan of Final Fantasy VII if they think it's ok to change the whole combat system.

For the sake of an example: Imagine you are a Quake III Arena fan and suddenly a Quake III Arena "Remake" turns out to have a cover-shooter gameplay mechanic. How could anybody, who claims to be a fan of the original, possibly be ok with that?
I've not known Quake to be adored for its story, characters, setting, and shit tons of side content that don't have anything to do with shooting dudes.

Once Sakaguchi stepped down from President of Square the entire franchise just fell apart. He was the quality control, with him gone Kitase is just a yes man and Nomura/Nojima are free to write any garbage.

People are actually defending this. You'll accept anything. LMFAO.

chitzy

Banned

In RPGs the focus is on storytelling. Q3A the focus is on gameplay.

Go ahead and compare the number of lines of text in FF7 and Q3A story mode, I'll wait. Probably something like 10,000,000 to 20.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
The meltdowns begin.

So how do you think the average normie who worships FF VII will take it?
For me, Final Fantasy was fine until after 12, when 13 kicked in the weird position the company and the games seem to be stuck in. but let's not discredit the MMO entries with XIV keeping people interested in this series for good reasons

Rat Rage

Gold Member
In RPGs the focus is on storytelling. Q3A the focus is on gameplay.

Go ahead and compare the number of lines of text in FF7 and Q3A story mode, I'll wait. Probably something like 10,000,000 to 20.

I don't agree. While the story, characters, music etc. is awesome in FF7, out of 100 hours of game length, I'd say you spend 50 hours with fighting and grinding, or otherwise the "gameplay". The turn based combat system with its amazing graphics and great art direction (spells, summons) and slower, more tactical gameplay is - at least - equally important as thre story and everything else.

What made FF7 so amazing is that all elements came together beautifully like almost never before in an JRPG - and a huge part of that, which can not be denied WAS/IS the gameplay.

For any "remake" it is a sin beyond measures to completely change its fundamental gameplay.

Last edited:

chitzy

Banned
I don't agree. While the story, characters, music etc. is awesome in FF7, out of 100 hours of game lenght, I'd say you spend 50 hours with fighting and grinding, or otherwise the "gameplay". The turn based combat system with its amazing graphics and great art direction (spells, summons) and slower, more tactical gameplay is - at least - equally important as thre story and everything else.

What made FF7 so amazing is that all elements came together beautifully like almost never before in an JRPG - and a huge part of that, which can not be denied WAS/IS the gameplay.

For any "remake" it is a sin beyond measures to completely change its fundamental gameplay.
only the weebest of the weeb are interested in playing a new turn based rpg in 2020. sorry boomer

stickkidsam

Gold Member
I don't agree. While the story, characters, music etc. is awesome in FF7, out of 100 hours of game length, I'd say you spend 50 hours with fighting and grinding, or otherwise the "gameplay". The turn based combat system with its amazing graphics and great art direction (spells, summons) and slower, more tactical gameplay is - at least - equally important as thre story and everything else.

But isn't what makes the gameplay special things like Materia and how equipment interacts with it? The ATB system was anything but slow. Its design (Active in particular) specifically targets speed while allowing the player to still take a second to manage each character and their status. That tactical gameplay isn't exclusive to turn based genres though and I'd say the ATB shines even moreso in the Remake due to how you manage your party members on the fly.

Hopefully they maintain a solid enemy variety that doesn't just spam the same attacks, but the combat styles for Cloud and co have been distinct and satisfying from what we've seen so far.

Rat Rage

Gold Member
only the weebest of the weeb are interested in playing a new turn based rpg in 2020. sorry boomer

giphy.gif

https://www.dualshockers.com/dragon-quest-11-sales-numbers/
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age Has Sold Over 5.5 Million Copies

https://venturebeat.com/2014/07/28/...-is-reconsidering-its-final-fantasy-strategy/
Square Enix’s return to its role-playing roots has paid off.
The publisher has sold 1 million copies of the 3DS RPG Bravely Default worldwide

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...nomenal_16_million_copies_in_under_two_months
Pokémon Sword And Shield Sold A Phenomenal 16 Million Copies In Under Two Months

https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news...ler-reaches-one-million-units-sold-worldwide/
The Switch-exclusive JRPG Octopath Traveler has sold one million copies worldwide, hitting the milestone in just under one month after its launch

Try again

ExpandKong

Banned

Square hasn’t made an open-world FF in the way you’re thinking since FF9.

FF15 was open world I guess, but imagining the world of FF7 in that scale and detail...there’s just no way modern Square is even thinking about doing that.

I would love to be surprised but the fact that they’re breaking this thing apart into chapters and seemingly dramatically altering the story does not bode well.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Jessie has to be the thirstiest game character of all time, holy hell.

It's a good job she's female, or there would be trouble.
she think that cloud's dick is directly proportioned to his big ass sword.
cut me a new vagina oh my blonde chad.

Last edited:

Mojo1990

Square hasn’t made an open-world FF in the way you’re thinking since FF9.

FF15 was open world I guess, but imagining the world of FF7 in that scale and detail...there’s just no way modern Square is even thinking about doing that.

I would love to be surprised but the fact that they’re breaking this thing apart into chapters and seemingly dramatically altering the story does not bode well.

New technology is the key. With ever more easier means of realising these types of visuals SE will have more confidence to try. With FFXV they were still hampered with limitations and grappling with the Engine.

I'm almost certain they will realise free roaming aspects in the next instalment. It doesn't even have to be total freedom. A happy middle seems Ideal.

Although I can't really picture cloud and crew climbing mountains just for fun. Or roaming endlessly through mainland terrain. I think FFXV is key and RDR 2 comes to mind

Spokker

The way part 1 ends frees them from the responsibility of making a faithful remake. That was part 1's job it turns out. We just found that out.

stickkidsam

Gold Member
New technology is the key. With ever more easier means of realising these types of visuals SE will have more confidence to try. With FFXV they were still hampered with limitations and grappling with the Engine.

I'm almost certain they will realise free roaming aspects in the next instalment. It doesn't even have to be total freedom. A happy middle seems Ideal.

Although I can't really picture cloud and crew climbing mountains just for fun. Or roaming endlessly through mainland terrain. I think FFXV is key and RDR 2 comes to mind
The problem isn't really tech. Great games have been made on current gen hardware and even last gen. It's just a question of if the team knows how to design an interesting open world to explore. FFXV was beautiful to look at, but the world was largely empty save for a couple boss monsters and some secret weapons. Generally, Final Fantasy games use their world as more of a backdrop than an element of gameplay.

Breath of the Wild or RDR2 would be great examples of open world design due to how they make the terrain something for the player to contend with. Funnily enough the original FFVII had some areas in which terrain was a part of gameplay too like the Northern Crater or the desert under the Golden Saucer. I hope I'm wrong though and that they have a grand world to explore.

-Arcadia-

Banned

I wonder if gamers would ever accept a classic overhead overworld as a compromise? Save the details for the areas you visit along the way.

chitzy

Banned

This is just delusional. The technology has existed for a long time to create a modern open world RPG. Heard of Witcher 3? The issue is that Square has no interest in doing so, they've even stated as much, and there's nothing to indicate that that's the direction they want to go here. In fact, these massive changes to the story suggest they're doing all they can to avoid having to create an open world aspect to this game.

Last edited:

Mojo1990

I don't see an issue with Sephiroth surviving for a third time. He did come back in AC. Third time hits the spot

The timed box side quest is fun.

caffeware

Banned
Jessie has to be the thirstiest game character of all time, holy hell.

It's a good job she's female, or there would be trouble.
Weird enough: in the 2015 reveal her tone towards Cloud is completely different.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Gold Member
Weird enough: in the 2015 reveal her tone towards Cloud is completely different.
That was back when this Remake was probably aiming to be more 1:1 as far as the story goes. Who knows how much they changed direction after CC2's work was canned.

Can't say I mind her passion though lol

chitzy

Banned

So if Cloud recalls the Nibelheim incident from the start of the game, then the game is starting from a completely different place? It can't just be that Sephiroth is manipulating events after the fact. Either way, gay and dumb.

Also, Sephiroth is way better as a raging incel with mommy issues. This version is so bland and boring.

Mojo1990

From what I recall of the original, Cloud knew that he had likely confronted Sephiroth, but knew he couldn't have been the one to have defeated him (considering his lack of relative strength). He and Zack both presumed him dead after the incident.

Also Sephiroth's actual physical body is sealed away in the Northern Crater, hence the manifestations of him (as witnessed by Cloud in the scene above). So no, it would appear this isn't a time traveling Sephiroth.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
From what I recall of the original, Cloud knew that he had likely confronted Sephiroth, but knew he couldn't have been the one to have defeated him (considering his lack of relative strength). He and Zack both presumed him dead after the incident.

Also Sephiroth's actual physical body is sealed away in the Northern Crater, hence the manifestations of him (as witnessed by Cloud in the scene above). So no, it would appear this isn't a time traveling Sephiroth.
So he is a clone?

Newk86

Sounds like they've gone and remade the original Star Wars and it starts with Luke having a dream about Darth Vader. I thought the point of this project was supposed to be expanding the world and the things around the edges.

But they've gone the other way by spoiling everything early and adding a conspiracy angle where potentially "anything" can happen now to pull people through instead. My guess is that this shifts expectations towards answers and surprises in every instalment and away from: everything-from-the-original-game plus more, which Square were probably never really equipped to deliver. I kind of wonder how many games they can get out of Cloud or somebody else fights with and talks about Sephiroth though.

mortal

They might as well have just made a new game if they're going to deviate this much from the original game's narrative.
It's like they're trying to eat their cake and have it too, by rewriting it to be a new story, but also sell fans a AAA remake of a beloved classic.

Ugh the writing and the voice acting is grating on the ears. The storytelling in Final Fantasy games could be improved that much better if they invested in more creative writers and better voice direction for the localization. I cannot stand those long awkward pauses and audible grunts/panting/gasps. It's such a bad generic anime voice trope to adopt, especially when so many other modern games have more nuanced and naturalistic performances now.

The performances are all over the place in the Remake. Some characters are elevated from the original, while others come off awkward or stifled.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned

what about an alternate timeline dimension hopping Sephiroth

Fuck why do we live in a world where this is a thing I just typed

Mojo1990

So he is a clone?

He was always a manifestation until the end of the game where he is "reborn":

"the manifestations seen by Cloud and his allies were people imbued with Jenova cells taking his form, controlled by the wounded Sephiroth in the Planet core" [Wiki]

Mojo1990

what about an alternate timeline dimension hopping Sephiroth

Fuck why do we live in a world where this is a thing I just typed

I don't think that's a necessary conclusion. Although I haven't seen the ending yet. I was just providing my understanding of the scene posted above where Cloud confronts Sephiroth.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
He was always a manifestation until the end of the game where he is "reborn":

"the manifestations seen by Cloud and his allies were people imbued with Jenova cells taking his form, controlled by the wounded Sephiroth in the Planet core" [Wiki]
Right clones.

Pantz

Fuck i never played the original FF7 game

Ive been waiting for this

So now since the remake is a clusterfuck do i have to play the original game?

Even if Cloud Strife look like potato there ?

I alway want to play FF7 on PC emulator but cant stand the blocky PS1 graphic

Ive been waiting for Remake but now it seems like a totaly different game

The gameplay is totally different. It's classic gold turn-based rpg that you wont find a scent of in this remake. So you could play it any time, before or after and have a good time. Just give it a couple hours and maybe you could get used to the blocky graphics?

Top Bottom