• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series coming to PS4 and Switch (Spring 2023)

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think a lot of it has to do with the flexibility of the cast of characters and what they offer. Each character has their own set of actions and then you add the Esper abilities and relics...and man, it's super customizable. Maybe even more customizable than even FFVII and that game was balls to the wall player friendly.

It also had a great story, tho I do feel like at times it's pacing a was bit off, but still a fun story.

I like managing stuff like that. Downloaded.

Need some colorful chill vibe between Resi4 and GT7. Not always in the mood for a grimy atmosphere with exploding heads or try hard racing full of assholes online.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

They're easy. I 100%'d all 6 on Steam and without the new XP boosts and ability to turn off random encounters.

I just finished the platinum for part 1 on PS5. Took me about 7 hours.

that is good to hear, i mean obviously too easy isn't good but i'm glad to hear there isn't anything dumb.

Gambit2483

on PS4?

2zlox3.png
onBeshl.gif

Power Pro

Finally ordered a physical copy from Play-asia. Not sure when it's gonna arrive, but I'm so happy that I'll have so many great Final Fantasy games on one platform. 1-6 collection, 7-8 collection, 9 physical, 10/10-2, and 12 all on one machine is pretty amazing. Too bad we never got releases of the Final Fantasy 13 games on Switch.

I am really looking forward to playing/replaying some of these games, and I've been waiting so long for these console releases. I've never finished Final Fantasy 6 before, so that'll be a treat for me. Also never had the chance to play a pixel version of Final Fantasy 3, which is a highly underrated entry in the series I think.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Welp...I rewarded a scalper. Gonna get my physical version 😞

I just wanted these and already have them on Steam (may actually play them now)

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Just found out some prodigy kid did the drumming for a bunch of the battle themes in this. Looked up some of her other drumming videos, and she's insane.

StereoVsn

Did SE say if the updates will make it to Steam versions by chance?

I am kind of irrationally drawn to get FFVI on the Switch despite having it on iPad and Steam. Well, and OG SNES, GBA, PS1, and digital PS1 versions. 😅

Would have gotten a physical but not feeling the $80+ (including shipping) for a physical from Play-Asia.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm new to V, anybody got any tips on job management? Anything to prioritize?
Very first thing to do is master the Monk’s barehanded ability for all characters. Equipping that ability not only makes you fight well when barehanded, it also sets your strength equal to the Monk’s, which is the highest in the game. You can turn any job into a decent fighter, regardless whether they’re using a weapon or bare hands.

Thief + barehand ability is a killer early game combo - highest speed + highest strength + very useful (can see hidden passages).

Alternately, Ranger’s equip bows ability is good for allowing a back row character to do decent damage (e.g. white mage)

One thing the game isn’t so clear about is that Freelancer job grows stronger by mastering other jobs. Freelancer gets the max stats + passive abilities of all the jobs you’ve mastered. So your long term goal is to master the jobs with the best stats + innate abilities for each character so that by endgame your Freelancer is badass IIRC:

Monk - strength + stamina
Summoner - magic
Thief - agility, see hidden passages, sprint, immune to back attacks
Ninja - dual wield
Samurai - high critical rate
Geomancer - immune to environmental damage

Other than that, have fun with it and use whatever jobs you think are most fun :)

Krathoon

The $300 price tag for the collector's edition is nuts.

It is kind of great having them all on the Switch because it puts them back on a Nintendo product. That was where it all originated.

Last edited:
The $300 price tag for the collector's edition is nuts.

It is kind of great having them all on the Switch because it puts them back on a Nintendo product. That was where it all originated.
True, but they've all been on Nintendo consoles for re-releases before.

Krathoon

I just played some FF1. I totally forgot that it is so old school that you have to buy your spells. Garland is so easy at the beginning that you can just get some good weapons and potions and just wail on him.

Really, for FF4, the psp version is very hard to beat. It is like the definitive version. It has everything.

Last edited:

Krathoon

It turns out that the Play Asia version of the Switch physical is better than the US version. It has art on the inside. The US version has nothing.

That is typical. These Japanese companies tend to do that to the Americans.

Trogdor1123

Is there a digital bundle on PlayStation ? I can only see them solo and I’m not paying $25 each here

Last edited:
It turns out that the Play Asia version of the Switch physical is better than the US version. It has art on the inside. The US version has nothing.

That is typical. These Japanese companies tend to do that to the Americans.
I'm sure it seems obvious but I didn't realize there even was a specific American edition (I thought the version Square was selling online would be all one region).

Either way, excited for my copy to come from Play Asia.

Krathoon

I'm sure it seems obvious but I didn't realize there even was a specific American edition (I thought the version Square was selling online would be all one region).

Either way, excited for my copy to come from Play Asia.
You also get wallpapers with the Asian version. I guess it is phone and computer wallpaper.

Last edited:
Ugh. Any other trophy hunters here?

I unlocked all trophies for FFV, except one which seems to have glitched. The one for killing 2,000 monsters. I checked with Mr. Clive, or whatever his name is, and I have around 2,100 monster kills.

I've been searching online, but I haven't seen anyone else that reported this issue.

Edit - it finally popped. It just took more than 2,000 kills.

Last edited:

alf717

My copy arrived yesterday from Playasia. Only started FF1 for the moment and man when I got to Lich he rocked me even at Lv. 25. He kept spamming blizzaga. I feel like this game levels you up very quickly. Just checked my old NES save and I'm at level 15 and already can grab the canoe. I also never run from a battle either so that could be why. I'm just surprised how Lich just rocked me but the second try was easier aft putting on the Rune Blade. WTF was that all about.

graywolf323

Did SE say if the updates will make it to Steam versions by chance?

I am kind of irrationally drawn to get FFVI on the Switch despite having it on iPad and Steam. Well, and OG SNES, GBA, PS1, and digital PS1 versions. 😅

Would have gotten a physical but not feeling the $80+ (including shipping) for a physical from Play-Asia.
IIRC they’ve recently said they’re looking into it

My copy arrived yesterday from Playasia. Only started FF1 for the moment and man when I got to Lich he rocked me even at Lv. 25. He kept spamming blizzaga. I feel like this game levels you up very quickly. Just checked my old NES save and I'm at level 15 and already can grab the canoe. I also never run from a battle either so that could be why. I'm just surprised how Lich just rocked me but the second try was easier aft putting on the Rune Blade. WTF was that all about.
Really excited for mine. It got to the states on the 29th based on tracking, but not here yet. Hoping for tomorrow!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They actually tweaked the difficulty curve considerably on these pixel remaster releases. When I played through these on PC, it was especially notable in the first two games. Some enemies give more EXP than they originally did, and characters in general don't require as much EXP to level up, but I don't think your stats increase as dramatically either. Some boss HP values were tweaked accordingly.

On a whole, I feel like these changes made these games easier than the originals. In the case of Final Fantasy IV, it's much closer to (perhaps easier than?) the US release. Nowhere near as difficult as the JP release or even the 3D remake.

alf717

They actually tweaked the difficulty curve considerably on these pixel remaster releases. When I played through these on PC, it was especially notable in the first two games. Some enemies give more EXP than they originally did, and characters in general don't require as much EXP to level up, but I don't think your stats increase as dramatically either. Some boss HP values were tweaked accordingly.

On a whole, I feel like these changes made these games easier than the originals. In the case of Final Fantasy IV, it's much closer to (perhaps easier than?) the US release. Nowhere near as difficult as the JP release or even the 3D remake.

FFIV even easier oh man I'll have to see how that goes when I get to it. I enjoyed the challenge of FFIV on the DS it was noticeably tougher then the SNES US version. FFIV is my favorite FF title but I'm gonna try and do these all in order and finally play through FF3.

Oh no don't tell me they made these easier than the originals? Wtf. I knew something was up playing FF6 for the first time ever and just breezing through encounters.

Why does Square have to always do something stupid? I wouldn't mind if this was an OPTIONAL easy mode bit for them to just flat out change the difficulty of the only mode is a huge negative in my book! Fuck

In what way are they easier?

FF1 is back to its single digit spell caps (which I don't agree with; I preferred the Origins version method).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In what way are they easier?

FF1 is back to its single digit spell caps (which I don't agree with; I preferred the Origins version method).
All of the games are tweaked in different ways, but almost all of the changes made each game easier than the originals. Some of it is subtle, like Final Fantasy 1 having random item drops from enemies that weren't in the original. Almost all of the games have the HP of most bosses lowered to a certain degree. Lots of enemies in the game give more gil than they used to, meaning there is less grinding for equipment purchases - making it trivial in most games to roll into a new town and already have enough money to buy everything new. In Final Fantasy II specifically, your stats raise significantly more/faster than the original.

Officially this was done to "streamline the experience".

All of the games are tweaked in different ways, but almost all of the changes made each game easier than the originals. Some of it is subtle, like Final Fantasy 1 having random item drops from enemies that weren't in the original. Almost all of the games have the HP of most bosses lowered to a certain degree. Lots of enemies in the game give more gil than they used to, meaning there is less grinding for equipment purchases - making it trivial in most games to roll into a new town and already have enough money to buy everything new. In Final Fantasy II specifically, your stats raise significantly more/faster than the original.

Officially this was done to "streamline the experience".
Yeah, it seemed that way to me pretty soon after starting for FF II - I thought I was gaining stats faster than I remember but it has been a long time.

Got my Pixel Remaster Switch cart in today! Finally sat down to play FF II a couple hours ago and I'm going to play a little bit more now. I've beaten I several times so I just skipped out for now, straight to II as I've only beaten that twice maybe. Then on to the real treat - FF III which I've never played. I did play the 3D Remake for a little while, but I really don't like the visual style of those so I just put it down. Visually everything looks and plays pretty nice so far, but hate to hear they make these games even easier.

Tg89

Finished up VI tonight. Still awesome, great remaster. Been a while since I actually played a JRPG to completion.

Probably do IV eventually. Take a break for now.

Top Bottom