• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

Can you solo CP at a decent rate? That was the biggest buzzkill for me. Mostly because people seemed picky about what jobs you had in CP groups.

Loona

After doing the update my Xbox version is no longer working. :(

Did they kick us early? lol. :(

Odd, the patch notes actually had a couple of fixes for the console versions - which was odd enough, considering the benefit's supposed to last little over a month at this point... better late than never, but still...

Can you solo CP at a decent rate? That was the biggest buzzkill for me. Mostly because people seemed picky about what jobs you had in CP groups.

It's a slow grind solo, but it's what I do on THF. On nights where I cap accolades I get around 12 CP in 90 minutes, and that's with two activations of a CP ring and every single Rhapsodies Key Item.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Guess it could have been a lot worse for the Mythic upgrade, though I still think Mythic, being a lot more time consuming, should have a lower requirements.

ApharmdX

Banned
Yeah, that upgrade method isn't bad. You can cap REM solo, or with straight buying them. And some HTBF stuff, especially accessories, is still valuable. I'm tempted to re-up and get my Koga and Yoichi upgraded. Just so sick of solo, solo, solo, lol.

The augments on JSE are great for new/returning players, I gotta say. Is there a full list of those paths anywhere?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What are the best ways to get those upgrade items? Already did the damage and killed REM, but I don't think I did the actual REM missions...

B.K.

I see the price gouging for Beitetsu, Pluton, and Riftborn Boulders has started. You couldn't give those things away yesterday and now, people are bazaaring them for anywhere from 15k to 500k each.

Parshias7

What are the best ways to get those upgrade items? Already did the damage and killed REM, but I don't think I did the actual REM missions...

Seems like the best way is to do HTBF. One guy was posting on FFXIAH that he was spamming VD in a small group and getting a little under 400 stones/hr. (although bear in mind there's a campaign going that gets you an extra drop at the end of a HTBF)

Yeah, that upgrade method isn't bad. You can cap REM solo, or with straight buying them. And some HTBF stuff, especially accessories, is still valuable. I'm tempted to re-up and get my Koga and Yoichi upgraded. Just so sick of solo, solo, solo, lol.

The augments on JSE are great for new/returning players, I gotta say. Is there a full list of those paths anywhere?

It's only one path per item. So if you see anything max augments that's the only option.

B.K.

Got most of my missing PLD Relic armor last night and 109ed it. I've still got to get the legs. I have a feeling that's going to be a pain. I've got to go to either Tavnazia or Beaucedine Dynamises to get it.

B.K.

Or you could just buy it with 100 login points this month.
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/login/item.html#KADB

I'll probably buy some and keep in storage, to have if I ever need anything from there again. I'll probably just farm it though. I don't want ti wait until I get 100 points. I can get the piece and get everything to 119 before the end of the weekend.

I hope I have enough stones to make the shield from Oboro. I know I don't have enough to fully augment it. It will have to hold me over until I can make an Aegis.

ZetaEpyon

I'll probably buy some and keep in storage, to have if I ever need anything from there again. I'll probably just farm it though. I don't want ti wait until I get 100 points. I can get the piece and get everything to 119 before the end of the weekend.

I hope I have enough stones to make the shield from Oboro. I know I don't have enough to fully augment it. It will have to hold me over until I can make an Aegis.

Would take 600 stones total to make the shield and augment it to R15 (300 to make, 300 to augment). Priwen is more of an Ochain stand-in than Aegis really, but it's definitely solid. Still the only shield I really use, since I don't have the REM shields.

B.K.

Would take 600 stones total to make the shield and augment it to R15 (300 to make, 300 to augment). Priwen is more of an Ochain stand-in than Aegis really, but it's definitely solid. Still the only shield I really use, since I don't have the REM shields.

Is it 300 to make the base gear? For some reason, I thought it was 150. I've got two stacks of Plutons, so I've got over half of them. When I think of all the stones I've thrown away since Adoulin started.....

Got most of my missing PLD Relic armor last night and 109ed it. I've still got to get the legs. I have a feeling that's going to be a pain. I've got to go to either Tavnazia or Beaucedine Dynamises to get it.

Northlands Dynamis is a joke to farm, more now than ever because trusts can help you in there. Can probably get any piece you want in 2 visits total.

Tavnazia doesn't have enough mobs in it to tolerate more than one person in there at a time targetting a drop. I wouldn't bother with it unless you're hellbent on upgrading from the -1 drops in there.

ZetaEpyon

Is it 300 to make the base gear? For some reason, I thought it was 150. I've got two stacks of Plutons, so I've got over half of them. When I think of all the stones I've thrown away since Adoulin started.....

Oh my bad, you are correct. 150 to create the thing in the first place, and then 300 to augment it.

Did anyone else Ballista/PVP?

I wish there was a server that still did Ballista. #1 thing I miss from my life period. PVP meant way more to me in this game than anything else.

I know we had rag tag group of PVPers before I moved to Sylph, but it disbanded because most of them got hit with the ban hammer after the Salvage fiasco. Most of the Fenrir PVPers play on XIV now as well, but I just can't get into XIV PVP like I did this game. Sucks.

I even miss Brenner, though it lasted like a month.

Did anyone else Ballista/PVP?

I wish there was a server that still did Ballista. #1 thing I miss from my life period. PVP meant way more to me in this game than anything else.

I know we had rag tag group of PVPers before I moved to Sylph, but it disbanded because most of them got hit with the ban hammer after the Salvage fiasco. Most of the Fenrir PVPers play on XIV now as well, but I just can't get into XIV PVP like I did this game. Sucks.

I even miss Brenner, though it lasted like a month.

I hear you, I used to *breathe* pvp in the game back when uncapped level 75. So much fun when the teams were huge.

thefil

From a story perspective, how much would I ruin by doing Rhapsodies before I've finished the main/expansion content? My gf really wants is to do it to get the XP and trust boosts, but I'm worried about spoiling the impact it would have if we build up all the experience of the earlier stuff first.

We're level 48 now, working on Windhurst 5-1.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
From a story perspective, how much would I ruin by doing Rhapsodies before I've finished the main/expansion content? My gf really wants is to do it to get the XP and trust boosts, but I'm worried about spoiling the impact it would have if we build up all the experience of the earlier stuff first.

We're level 48 now, working on Windhurst 5-1.

You can only get so far in Rhapsodies before completing certain mission requirements in the various expansions.

Loona

You can only get so far in Rhapsodies before completing certain mission requirements in the various expansions.

To expand on this, you can get the Rhapsody in White key item, which helps with EXP gain boosts, before the game requires you to get rank 6 to proceed with Rhapsodies missions - there are more the further you advance.

After rank 6 you can complete chapter 1 of Rhapsodies, which gets you Rhapsody in Azure for more EXP gain boosts - that, however, requires being able to take down a NM which can charm players (but not Trusts, so having one as a tank helps), but which is best handled at level 90+ IIRC.

For Rhapsodies's chapter 2, completion of Chains of Promathia helps, although you can advance if you've progressed in it considerably.

This might help to figure out what's best to have completed at any given time: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/t...f-I-can’t-progress-in-Rhapsodies-of-Vana’diel

Just wanting to post to let players of yesteryear that as a player that played since launch and quit a bit after Aht Urhgan came out, starting over feels almost as magical as it did over ten years ago. I joined the Asura server, and with the trusts, it is crazy that I'll be able to solo mostly and won't have to lfg for hours in Jueno anymore. It's nuts to get serval jobs to 30 in just a couple days. I'm happy that I impulse purchased the complete pc download.

Rawk Hawk

Hmm I wonder if my character is still being used by a friend of mine. FFE reminds of this game for some reason.

It's been a while since I jumped back on for a welcome home event, but I know he was still using your character then. Probably fall of last year?

Yea FFE has got me thinking about FFXI as well, I'll have to keep my eye out for another welcome home event to get my fill.

ZetaEpyon

It's been a while since I jumped back on for a welcome home event, but I know he was still using your character then. Probably fall of last year?

Yea FFE has got me thinking about FFXI as well, I'll have to keep my eye out for another welcome home event to get my fill.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Welcome Home campaign that coincides with the end of PS2 and X360 support in March...

Just wanting to post to let players of yesteryear that as a player that played since launch and quit a bit after Aht Urhgan came out, starting over feels almost as magical as it did over ten years ago. I joined the Asura server, and with the trusts, it is crazy that I'll be able to solo mostly and won't have to lfg for hours in Jueno anymore. It's nuts to get serval jobs to 30 in just a couple days. I'm happy that I impulse purchased the complete pc download.

Are you literally me?

I started with US PS2 Launch, and ended up quitting a little after Aht Urhgan also. Planning to return with some friends these next coming weeks since the PC Complete version was on sale.

Hoping I'll have the same feelings as you do after I boot it up

kierwynn

Are you literally me?

I started with US PS2 Launch, and ended up quitting a little after Aht Urhgan also. Planning to return with some friends these next coming weeks since the PC Complete version was on sale.

Hoping I'll have the same feelings as you do after I boot it up

We can't start til we can decide what nation to start tho :p
#teamBastok

I'm sure I'll get those feels instantly- just listening to the music from the game makes me super nostalgic. lol I stopped shortly after the first abyssea released, so it'll be cool to get to finish the story stuff I never did (and see the old story stuff again since we're starting fresh). We're also dragging my fiance in to play with us, and he has never touched the game before, so it'll be interesting to see what he thinks since he won't have that nostalgia factor to go with it.

Byvar

I joined the Asura server, and with the trusts, it is crazy that I'll be able to solo mostly
Is solo'ing it fun though? Since I'm a huge FF fan that never played XI I've been wondering whether or not I should get it, mostly because I have no one who will play the game with me. I'll definitely get it during the next discount campaign though (about that, does anybody have an idea if/when that is returning?).

Ah, FFXI. I feel like sharing my experience.

4-5 years ago when I played this first, I had fun primarily because it's an FF game I haven't played, the gameplay reminded me of FFXII which I adored and, most importantly, I had a great community that brought me in (The good old FFRadio crew, R.I.P. Tebian). However, even then it was very unfriendly to beginners.

As far as I could tell (and I started in San'Doria) the game was clearly designed in the beginning that you should grind in one area, proceed to the next and so on. From what I saw (and from what people themselves told me) the EXP was really slow but there would always be people naturally progressing the game in each area. When I joined, these starting areas (I'm talking about the forest, the huge meadow part and the desert after it) were pretty much empty. Instead people mostly grinded in some cave. If not in the cave, then it was some dungeon below San'Doria (if I remember correctly). Even the starting towns themselves weren't full of people, but the main, central town (Juno, was it?) had a lot.

All of this is understandable since even then it was around 10 years old. I actually wanted to explore the game as "vanilla" as possible, not cutting shortcuts, naturally going through the story (which I was VERY interested in) and the main campaign. And I DID have a degree of fun soloing, but walking around so many of these areas was almost like going through Pompeii - glorius, empty areas where you imagine all the activity and buzz that used to be there, but now you're pretty much on your own, just listening to the wind that used to carry the chatter. I think I beat all the San'Doria quests and was well on my way to get a Chocobo but didn't renew the subscription.

I'd like to try again at some point, especially since the game may not be operational in the next few years, but I imagine it's even more barren now, isn't it? Considering people tackle mostly expansion stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

tumblr_mtyzcmCnX71qgwt1uo1_400.gif

#teamBastok

I'm sure I'll get those feels instantly- just listening to the music from the game makes me super nostalgic. lol I stopped shortly after the first abyssea released, so it'll be cool to get to finish the story stuff I never did (and see the old story stuff again since we're starting fresh). We're also dragging my fiance in to play with us, and he has never touched the game before, so it'll be interesting to see what he thinks since he won't have that nostalgia factor to go with it.

I was gonna pitch a fit about wanting to start in Windy, then I remembered just how good that Gustaberg theme is

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
#teamBastok

#lastock

Bastok kind of really sucks.

Sandoria is probably the most newbie friendly. The zones are small, and Ronfaure is a great area to start. Also has a really good story.

Best nation is Windurst, but I would not recommend it for new people.

kierwynn

#lastock

Bastok kind of really sucks.

Sandoria is probably the most newbie friendly. The zones are small, and Ronfaure is a great area to start. Also has a really good story.

Best nation is Windurst, but I would not recommend it for new people.

I knew someone was gonna do the Lastock thing but idc It was always my fave but that's probably because it was my starting city back when I started at ps2 launch. It is kinda basic tho lol

Eh, pick your poison.

Sandy was my starting nation back when I first played FFXI. Good all around flow as a city, good story, the run from Sandy to any part of the 1-60 experience is probably the easiest of all the major nations. I think the vendor layout is probably the best out of all 3 cities. Having so many concentrated in South Sandy with an AH centrally located makes it ideal for crafting.

Bastok has okay-ish zone flow. The bridge in port and maze in markets isn't great, but the split in North Gustaberg is really stupid and the first-time run to Jeuno is the longest out of all the nations, I thnk? The national story is probably my favorite since it has strong connections to Ragorimm/Shadow Lord.

Windurst has its own aggravations. Windurst Waters is hands down the worst city zone in the game, even with the new placement of home points. Access to Toraimarai is gated in a way that no zone nearby Sandy/Bastok is. The Jeuno run goes through Meriphataud, which is horrible to navigate compared to Jugner/Passhow and is so annoying it's almost less of a headache to jump on the ferry to Selbina and run through Jugner/Passhow, instead.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I started with Sandoria because friends did. I switched the Bastok later to get that conquest points medal that gave 50mp. At the time, it was a fantastic piece. Then went to Windurst.

Loona

Eh, pick your poison.

Sandy was my starting nation back when I first played FFXI. Good all around flow as a city, good story, the run from Sandy to any part of the 1-60 experience is probably the easiest of all the major nations. I think the vendor layout is probably the best out of all 3 cities. Having so many concentrated in South Sandy with an AH centrally located makes it ideal for crafting.

Bastok has okay-ish zone flow. The bridge in port and maze in markets isn't great, but the split in North Gustaberg is really stupid and the first-time run to Jeuno is the longest out of all the nations, I thnk? The national story is probably my favorite since it has strong connections to Ragorimm/Shadow Lord.

Windurst has its own aggravations. Windurst Waters is hands down the worst city zone in the game, even with the new placement of home points. Access to Toraimarai is gated in a way that no zone nearby Sandy/Bastok is. The Jeuno run goes through Meriphataud, which is horrible to navigate compared to Jugner/Passhow and is so annoying it's almost less of a headache to jump on the ferry to Selbina and run through Jugner/Passhow, instead.

I personally like Bastok, but the topic of "speedrunning" tactics for FFXI has been crossing my mind lately, as since the game's a lot more soloable and easier to level in nowadays, the idea of a simple path to experience all the stories for FF fans that skipped the game within a month's subscription or so might be a reasonable expense for the curious.

As a starting point, Windurst's Three Mage Gate mission slows things down, so the Quon cities seemed like a faster route, but I guess Sandy and Ronfaure are less confusing to actually leave, not to mention when it's time to head to the northlands, Ranguemont Pass is fairly close by.

For the WotG missions, the Sandy quest path is probably faster too, since you have to keep returning to past Sandy for the main WotG missions anyway.

So, it's nice to see some comparisons here, although it seems unlike as many people wil argue over that as some have over who's the best starting Pokémon or something.

Lain

Windurst 4 life.

I need to get my ass to 99 and do various story mission (the main reason I repurchased and resubbed to the game) but lately I find I'm only logging on for the login points.

I personally like Bastok, but the topic of "speedrunning" tactics for FFXI has been crossing my mind lately, as since the game's a lot more soloable and easier to level in nowadays, the idea of a simple path to experience all the stories for FF fans that skipped the game within a month's subscription or so might be a reasonable expense for the curious.

I wouldn't speedrun the story since it has the biggest roadblocks in terms of time invested and JST rollovers, but I like the idea of having a race to a certain threshold. Like starting at level 1 with no external help, how quickly could you get a chocobo license? Or kill the Shadow Lord? Simple goals not gated behind midnight JST waits would be best here.

Loona

I wouldn't speedrun the story since it has the biggest roadblocks in terms of time invested and JST rollovers, but I like the idea of having a race to a certain threshold. Like starting at level 1 with no external help, how quickly could you get a chocobo license? Or kill the Shadow Lord? Simple goals not gated behind midnight JST waits would be best here.

The term "speedrun" is used kinda loosely in this case - I guess another way to put it is "the path of less legwork", the idea being to come up with an efficient path to work through the story content for a new player who's curious enough to give FFXI a try but weary of monthly subscriptions, and if that involves the occasional Japanese midnight wait, so be it (nowadays that only applies to ToAU, right?). Just a rough idea though.

OK, so playing for a few hours a day for a week, I've gotten to Rank 3, have 3 jobs at 50, and have unlocked a couple advanced jobs. That would have taken half a year back at release. I'm hooked. How active is the gaf ls? I'll do a server transfer if somebody is willing to pearl me.

Top Bottom