• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Foe Status Haste -> Slow
Party Leader -> Float/Floatga

I guess Bleed and Break are fine, but honestly your Black Mage's Bio spell will be better for dealing damage + inflicting sap.
Foe HP > 100,000 -> Slow (or any status effect or black magic) may work good, too... Set the HP to whatever HP level currently takes more than 10-20 seconds for you to kill

I like using Foe HP = 100% for things like Drain or Dark/ga too during the story. Good way to do some initial damage/status effect but save MP

I use a lot of Shades of Black in general for my main Attack Gambit too on anyone that has better spellcasting than melee.

TheCed

Just finished the Game and got my platinum.
Yaaaaaaay.

My only real negative about the game is the RNG.
It's the one thing that might prevent me from playing it again in the future.

I don't mind Vaan and Penelo even if they're useless in this story.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ending spoiler:
Vaan proved his worth when he went ham at the end and stabbed Vayne out of nowhere. Whew.

But what about Penelo? It's like she's still non-existent in the game. I don't think I've seen Ashe talk to her at all lol.

"Man cannot live by resolve alone, Princess."

i finally beat the wall and used the licence on one character penelo. i made a her a white mage and use the summon.

SkylineRKR

Time mage is great. Haste, slow and float are essential. Balance is also pretty good against flyers. Something like 4+ enemies = Disable is underrated. It helps on swarms of bats, they're vulnerable to it.

Green magic is awesome as well. Oil is good if enemies are weak to fire. Bubble is essential. Decoy and reverse are sort of game breaking. Syphon is good too though my gambits charges at 10%.

Mendrox

anyone got an easy detailed guide to get hastega ? I can't stand that place..

No you have to suffer like me. :p

I am just to lazy to plan the layout and which gates I have to open in which order...which I will maybe do this weekend when I will play again.

Ricck

I am just to lazy to plan the layout and which gates I have to open in which order...which I will maybe do this weekend when I will play again.

lol it's the worst place in the game, even the enemy types sucks

Ricck

What's the chance of Urutan Exile spawning? Feels like I've killed 500 Urutans...

From a FAQ:

DETAILS - Found in [Ogir-Yensa Sandsea / Platform 2 Refinery]
- Party must dispatch 100+ Urutan-Yensa foes (you don't need to chain
them) inside Ogir-Yensa Sandsea (do NOT go into Nam-Yensa Sandsea),
which will force Urutan Exile to spawn in middle of S oil rig; be
aware that if Party is in the [Platform 2 Refinery] after 100th
Urutan-Yensa is killed, you must go at least one screen away (again,
NOT into Nam-Yensa Sandsea) and then return to find Urutan Exile

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am still early in the game, got to that section with the electricity monsters and the charge. Game is great! Really, really good. The music has a very strong star wars feel to it. Still sad it's only 1440p,would love for a patch to 4k.

From a FAQ:

DETAILS - Found in [Ogir-Yensa Sandsea / Platform 2 Refinery]
- Party must dispatch 100+ Urutan-Yensa foes (you don't need to chain
them) inside Ogir-Yensa Sandsea (do NOT go into Nam-Yensa Sandsea),
which will force Urutan Exile to spawn in middle of S oil rig; be
aware that if Party is in the [Platform 2 Refinery] after 100th
Urutan-Yensa is killed, you must go at least one screen away (again,
NOT into Nam-Yensa Sandsea) and then return to find Urutan Exile

Ah, must've been too close. Will try again later.

Salamand Entite wrecked my whole party and I yelled at my TV. THANK ODIN for the new auto save system.

I couldn't figure out what to do and ended up looking it up. Pretty clever to make a neutral monster only attack if it catches you using magic.

I just turned off gambits in their vicinity and got the hell out of there.

Vashetti

Banned
Salamand Entite wrecked my whole party and I yelled at my TV. THANK ODIN for the new auto save system.

I couldn't figure out what to do and ended up looking it up. Pretty clever to make a neutral monster only attack if it catches you using magic.

I just turned off gambits in their vicinity and got the hell out of there.

Don't worry late game you'll be defeating them in a few hits, very satisfying.

I love how they follow you around even if you haven't aggro'd them. So eager to attack you at first sign of magic.

Don't worry late game you'll be defeating them in a few hits, very satisfying.

I love how they follow you around even if you haven't aggro'd them. So eager to attack you at first sign of magic.

I know, I was so relieved at first to see they were neutral and then all of the sudden they rained hell down upon us and I felt so betrayed.

Why can't you just be like the Ginza Plains rabbits and heal me while I fight other stuff???

semiconscious

Gold Member
anyone got an easy detailed guide to get hastega ? I can't stand that place..

okay...

using this map, https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/46722, & assuming you've unlocked the scorpio gate:

1) go from viii to ix
2) go from ix to x
3) go from x to sagitarius & hit switch
4) open S2, go to xii
5) go from xii to xiv
6) go from xiv to leo & hit switch
7) open L2, go to xv
8) go from xv to libra & hit switch
9) open L2, go to capricorn & hit switch
10) open C1, go to virgo & hit switch
11) open V2, go to capricorn & hit switch
12) open C2, go to xvii
13) go from xvii to xviii
14) go to aquarius & hit switch
15) open A1, go to taurus & hit switch
16) open T2, go to #1 (hastega)...

i think that's it :) ...

SUPGUYZ

Banned
I'm hitting lvl 60 here and I'm basically in god mode. I'm running 2x speed the whole time and I beat every boss within seconds. I love the gambit system so much. having an automated deathsquad is loads of fun

I'm hitting lvl 60 here and I'm basically in god mode. I'm running 2x speed the whole time and I beat every boss within seconds. I love the gambit system so much. having an automated deathsquad is loads of fun

Yep, and the combat's really addictive. Sure there are issues (like the dumb no-map places and RNG chests) but you actually don't really need those that much (or at all).

Ricck

okay...

using this map, https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/46722, & assuming you've unlocked the scorpio gate:

1) go from viii to ix
2) go from ix to x
3) go from x to sagitarius & hit switch
4) open S2, go to xii
5) go from xii to xiv
6) go from xiv to leo & hit switch
7) open L2, go to xv
8) go from xv to libra & hit switch
9) open L2, go to capricorn & hit switch
10) open C1, go to virgo & hit switch
11) open V2, go to capricorn & hit switch
12) open C2, go to xvii
13) go from xvii to xviii
14) go to aquarius & hit switch
15) open A1, go to taurus & hit switch
16) open T2, go to #1 (hastega)...

i think that's it :) ...

Jeez thanks man!! I'll try that ASAP! :)

Pantz

This game is eating up way too much of my Summer. Even at x4 speed I'm so slow at playing. I gotta try to focus on the main story and come back for all the extras later. Just now getting to the Phon Coast.

burgerdog

Finished the game and only have four trophies left to get:

Explore every map - I've killed every mark so no idea which zone I missed. I made it a point to explore every zone so who knows what I missed.

Mist Walker - RNG

Bestiary - Time consuming.

100th Trial - This one I look forward to.

kromeo

When can you get the reward from Ktjn? I'm at Draklor and she's still just sitting on the step by the bazaar... I answered her final question straight after stillshrine

Ydelnae

My party was at lv 48 and I barely managed to survive the Chaos fight. I was caught off guard since I figured there would be a crystal before the boss fight, didn't know that the attack command was unavailable during the fight and my party was low on MP from the other two fights.

Only Ultima and Zodiark to go. Should I first focus on clearing the hunts? I have like 10 of them left.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmm I can't remember, does Larsa leave as soon as I enter Bur-Omisace or do I keep him until actually going up to the temple?

You can enter, hit up the vendors and save crystal, and exit without losing him.

Do Technicks like Expose/Wither etc. have a duration? So do you need to recast them regulary on Yizamat or do they stay up the whole fight?

IIRC, the breaks don't wear off and can stack up to 6x before capping (though there are diminishing returns).

Havok1313

You can enter, hit up the vendors and save crystal, and exit without losing him.

IIRC, the breaks don't wear off and can stack up to 6x before capping (though there are diminishing returns).

Great, thanks.

Man I've got a slow burn going on this game haha. I feel like most of ya'll are done already.

how does every decide what jobs for each character. the reason i haven't upgraded bc i don't know what i should choose. i guess i'll go by the weapon in their hands?

Mejilan

The correct answer is that there is no correct answer re: jobs. If you want the advice of min/maxers, hit up the GameFAQs links provided in the OP. You get six characters, each of which can select two jobs (one initial, another around 25%-30% through the story), from a total of twelve available jobs. There are certainly job combos that are considered "lore friendly" for each character. There are also job combos that eschew perceived canon in favor of straight-up optimization. You're welcome to spread the twelve jobs out evenly across the six characters, no dupes. Or you can make a team of six Time Battlemages (I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS).

It's entirely up to you, and the game is so easy (and so spectacularly easy to break), that just about any combination of jobs/characters is viable. Avoid wholesale buffoonery (six Time Battlemages, yooooo) and you'll be able to clear the game easily.

FWIW, the game was damn easy in its original 2006 incarnation, that lacked jobs entirely. When the JP-only 2007 remix hit that introduced the twelve jobs, the game was specifically rebalanced to be easier than 2006's vanilla. This 2007 version limited you to a single job per character, so they needed to balance it assuming that most would not select optimal team builds. The current 2017 version of the game is 90% balanced the same as the 2007 revamp, with a few small changes rendering it even EASIER (such as attacks no longer capping at 9999 damage). This version also introduces one major mega-change that arguably SHOULD have called for another complete rebalancing of the difficulty; allowing us to assign two jobs per character instead of just one. But they didn't rebalance it, so whatever challenge the game may have in 2007 is almost completely busted. Any and every weakness in a team make up can be overcome simply by using consumables and tweaking your gambits and strategies.

Great, thanks.
Man I've got a slow burn going on this game haha. I feel like most of ya'll are done already.

I'm taking my time too. I'm actually not THAT far ahead of you. Maybe two major story sequences ahead. I'm taking my time, doing everything I can on the side before moving on. Thaaaat's probably why my off team's at level 60, and my main team is catching up at 57. (I trade out every 10 levels, leap-frogging the other team's level by 5).

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Finished the game and only have four trophies left to get:

Explore every map - I've killed every mark so no idea which zone I missed. I made it a point to explore every zone so who knows what I missed.

Mist Walker - RNG

Bestiary - Time consuming.

100th Trial - This one I look forward to.

For explore the map Google some of the locations that is hard to find without knowing. I know one requires 28 chops on archadia.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
For explore the map Google some of the locations that is hard to find without knowing. I know one requires 28 chops on archadia.
So it's too late once you pass that part in the main story?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
how does every decide what jobs for each character. the reason i haven't upgraded bc i don't know what i should choose. i guess i'll go by the weapon in their hands?
Unless you want to 100% the game, every character can do each job well enough. My main party is balthier, basch, and ashe. Ashe and basch are both melee classes while balthier is a whm. Balthier is no way the best whm in the game but I rather have him in there than the other 3 lol.

If you want to kill yiazmat etc then maybe look up some good combos of jobs.

Unless you want to 100% the game, every character can do each job well enough. My main party is balthier, basch, and ashe. Ashe and basch are both melee classes while balthier is a whm. Balthier is no way the best whm in the game but I rather have him in there than the other 3 lol.

If you want to kill yiazmat etc then maybe look up some good combos of jobs.
thanks!

Cess007

All games have this part that it's just not fun, and I think I reaches this part in FF12. I'm at the
Giruvegan
and I'm not liking this area. I just want to be over with it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So if I understand this correctly, you have to be careful about the following with Quickenings and Espers:

- You only get 3 out of 4 Quickenings per character. Before choosing, it's advisable to check both license boards for what slots a Quickening is blocking before unlocking.

- Espers appear on all boards, but once they're claimed by a character, they're gone in all boards. So I should consult every board to see what a given Esper is blocking to strategize.

Is the above correct?

If so, considering the former, I'm still trying to decide which Quickenings I should unlock for my Vaan's Shikari board (secondary job is foebreaker). Aeana mentioned that Yagya Darkblade & Mess is recommended if I want to fight Yiazmat (I am), so between Ninja sword 1, 2, and 3 which two are recommended?

Mejilan

^
Sounds about right. The Shikari's board is honestly the only one with moderately tough Quickening decisions to make. As for the various Ninja Blades, know that 2 and 3 have roughly the same attack power, but different elements (water and earth, respectively, IIRC). Ninja Blades 1 unlocks the weakest licenses, but there's four of them, and they also all infict different status effects upon striking. I'd probably go with Ninja Blades 1, 4, and either 2 or 3. But ultimately, I'd wait until you can see what each Quickening unlocks on that character's second job board, and probably put more weight on that decision.

Espers are much of the same deal, though quite a few Espers lead to obvious dead ends on many license boards. So for these, you'll really only have to choose between two or three potential options, and you'll probably find that one leads the pack over the others.

Edit 1 - Also worth noting that while it MAY appear that certain license board "island" nodes are gated behind either a specific Quickening or a specific Esper; distinctly unique nodes that are shared amongst multiple jobs can help you "island hop." For example, Heavy Armors 10 on one job's license board is the same exact Heavy Armors 10 on another job's license board. Unlocking it on one board unlocks it on both. Some job pairings synergize well with certain other jobs. If one or more of a job's "island" nodes match another job's "mainland" nodes, this is an alternate way to gain access to "island" nodes that won't require burning a Quickening or Esper to create a bridge.

Edit 2 - I didn't bother unlocking any Quickenings at all until I gained access to everyone's second jobs. Happily, that happens exactly when you get your first Esper. And that Esper, IIRC, doesn't unlock anything on any of the 12 license boards.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So I asked Mike Laidlaw, Dragon Age's Creative Director, if Dragon Age: Inquisition's zone-based approach to open world was inspired by FF12. He's been playing The Zodiac Age on Twitch, after all, and I know he's into JRPGs and stuff. He said no -- it was more of a desire to provide color palette variety than anything -- but he did confirm what I think fans of both franchises have always known. Dragon Age: Origins' Tactics system was heavily influenced by FF12's Gambits.

Gambits the best.

Kain

Finished Giruvegan yesterday and now I'm on a hunt binge, once I get Gilgamesh's stuff (I think I can fight him now) I'll get Chaos and the rest of the Espers (Ultima and Zodiark I guess), I have most of them already. Gil Snapper was shit to unlock, next I'll get the glowy Chocobo in Paramina, that invulnerable bastard.

The Great Crystal was not so bad as I remembered, I got most of the stuff the first time around without a guide, you just need a little memory and the fights aren't hard.

I'm trying to get the deathbringer sword in Feywood and don't understand how the RNG chests work. I was re-entering the section over and over and it never appeared. I spent like 2 hours playing around in that area. Do you have to do something else to constitute another chance, like just leaving the area isn't enough?

OTOH I got Black Hole my first try with level 3 Quickenings. :)

giphy.gif

...sigh. Congrats! :)

SMK

I'm trying to get the deathbringer sword in Feywood and don't understand how the RNG chests work. I was re-entering the section over and over and it never appeared. I spent like 2 hours playing around in that area. Do you have to do something else to constitute another chance, like just leaving the area isn't enough?

You just have to zone out and right back in. It says the chest has a 75% chance of spawning so you should at least see the chest fairly frequently.

MrMatt555

Fuck.

Hit a wall on my way to archades. Currently in the salikawood but can teleport out. What's a good spot to grind ? Party is level 30-32

Top Bottom