• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's really not that long fortunately.

The next one after that is probably worse.

I'd say the worst is the The Great Crystal (
part 2, trying to get Ultima
) and then the
Pharos

Meowster

The Great Crystal is relatively easy the first time.

It's the optional stuff afterword..

Fitting that I got my last trophy there.

Ydelnae

Is there anything important in the second Great Crystal zone that you can't get anywhere else outside of Hastega and Ultima? I'm considering just going after them and getting out right after.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is there anything important in the second Great Crystal zone that you can't get anywhere else outside of Hastega and Ultima? I'm considering just going after them and getting out right after.

Omega Mark XII, a superboss.

Also the rage game hunts.

ULTROS!

Only annoying rare game in great crystal is Larva Eater. Others are simple to get.

The way I got it: do a 256 chain with the Forbidden and go back to Waypoint XIV.

Tanis

What's better for Archer/Red Mage towards the endgame/bonus content? Seitengrat or Burning Bow?

Seitengrat and the other invisible gear is busted compared to the rest of the game. It's the best choice but in my opinion kind of ruins the game.

Burning bow/Ardor is at least in line with what a Black Mage with Scathe can achieve. Either of these is great at AoE damage for the big packs you'll face in the post game dungeons.

Seitengrat and the other invisible gear is busted compared to the rest of the game. It's the best choice but in my opinion kind of ruins the game.

Burning bow/Ardor is at least in line with what a Black Mage with Scathe can achieve. Either of these is great at AoE damage for the big packs you'll face in the post game dungeons.
Is someone with Trango Tower and Gendarme more busted or less?

royox

Hi! It's my first time playing this game (but not my 1st FF lol).

The thing is... I'm like 10 hours in, have the whole party and each character has its first job but i don't understand how BLM and WHM have a LOT of spells and my (sorry, I don't play it in English so I don't know the correct job names) rogue (daggers), knight, Samurai and Machinist only have Steal, First aids and Libra. Is this ok? Because I go to the skills store and there's nothing new for me to buy.

I, for example, thought the jobs would be like in FF.Tactics but only the magic jobs seem to be somehow similar. Tphe machinist (guy using guns) has me so disappointed, I expected it to be like in Tactics using elemental bullets and debuffs like blind, slow but till now its just a person shooting veeery slow from distance :_

Despite this I'm loving the game, can't wait to get home to keep playing.

SkylineRKR

Hi! It's my first time playing this game (but not my 1st FF lol).

The thing is... I'm like 10 hours in, have the whole party and each character has its first job but i don't understand how BLM and WHM have a LOT of spells and my (sorry, I don't play it in English so I don't know the correct job names) rogue (daggers), knight, Samurai and Machinist only have Steal, First aids and Libra. Is this ok? Because I go to the skills store and there's nothing new for me to buy.

I, for example, thought the jobs would be like in FF.Tactics but only the magic jobs seem to be somehow similar. Tphe machinist (guy using guns) has me so disappointed, I expected it to be like in Tactics using elemental bullets and debuffs like blind, slow but till now its just a person shooting veeery slow from distance :_

Despite this I'm loving the game, can't wait to get home to keep playing.

There are elemental bullets, and bullets inflicting status. But there are no technicks for machinists only. Their benefit is that they ignore defense and can hit airborne opponents.

I agree that Jobs are kind of half assed. Uhlan for example is a Dragoon but except for a bit more reach, knockback chance and the fact it can hit aerial enemies there isn't much benefit to use it over another Shikari or something. Dragoons don't have a jump skill in this game for example.

The 'base' jobs are the best and will carry you through the game ie. Shikari, White Mage, Black Mage, Knight. I see roles like Machinist etc more as support roles. For example, its great that a White Mage can shoot from a distance if you pair these 2 up. But I wouldn't run with just a Machinist, while just a White Mage would be fine (you lose some offense but its main purpose is keeping the party up and running). Bushi is also a secondary job. It can wield Katanas which are excellent weapons and you can wear mage garb. And you get magic lores, which means you can buff the magic of a Knight or Monk or w/e.

The Great Crystal is worse than I remember. I got lost there earlier today and it was a horrible experience, but at least I stumbled upon Yagyu Darkblade so I guess it was worth it. Won't be returning there anytime soon though.

Shahed

I can see the Great Crystal being annoying for a lot of people. I was dreading going back in there for Ultima, Excalibur, Hastega and a bunch of the other stuff since I remembered the pain back on PS2.

However I just pulled up a map that had all the waypoints, gates, stones and treasures listed and it was really easy to navigate and I found I actually liked it. The game just needed to give you a map. The only thing that was annoying was the constant spawning enemies at times, but 4x dealt with that

Ludens

Banned
Did all available hunts and special hunts plus got all Espers available for the moment, I think it's time to proceed in the main plot (
I need to find Giruvegan)
It's astonishing the fact I hated this back in days so much I rushed the game to the end but I'm having a blast now, enjoying each moment of it.

Also I think I should level up a bit more because some optional bosses gave me troubles.

I can see the Great Crystal being annoying for a lot of people. I was dreading going back in there for Ultima, Excalibur, Hastega and a bunch of the other stuff since I remembered the pain back on PS2.

However I just pulled up a map that had all the waypoints, gates, stones and treasures listed and it was really easy to navigate and I found I actually liked it. The game just needed to give you a map. The only thing that was annoying was the constant spawning enemies at times, but 4x dealt with that

Is there a video-guide showing all treasures for it?

Opa-Pa

You guys are making me nervous about the great crystal. I want the platinum but it sounds awful.

I keep hearing bad stuff about this and a couple other areas... But are they like, generally awful or only if you aim to get everything done?

Also, are there any easy to miss summons or hunts provided you pay attention to the hunt requests and stuff? I'd rather not use guides but I don't want to miss any summons and above all I want to fight Gilgamesh.

Kain

I keep hearing bad stuff about this and a couple other areas... But are they like, generally awful or only if you aim to get everything done?

Also, are there any easy to miss summons or hunts provided you pay attention to the hunt requests and stuff? I'd rather not use guides but I don't want to miss any summons and above all I want to fight Gilgamesh.

Gilgamesh is easy to find and nothing is missable, but either you speak to literally everybody or you'll need a guide for some Espers.

Opa-Pa

The Gilgamesh thing is a relief, but welp. At what point should I start being more alert about summons then? I'm currently on my way to some mountain village after meeting the vieras.

pablito

Can't find the thread from GameFAQs where I found maps of the whole game, but there is one. Made The Great Crystal super easy to navigate. I'm going to have to leave and come back for a fight and I'm not even sweating it really.

It's kind of a drag that some valuable spells and shit are there, though.

The Gilgamesh thing is a relief, but welp. At what point should I start being more alert about summons then? I'm currently on my way to some mountain village after meeting the vieras.

I'm personally waiting until after
Draklor Laboratory
, since that's when a boatload of other sidequests and hunts open up/become completeable.

Nista

Who's the best person to give Zodiark to for spamming for the Trial 100 fight? Not sure it really benefits any of my characters that much, since I don't really use Renew over Curaja that often.

Can't find the thread from GameFAQs where I found maps of the whole game, but there is one. Made The Great Crystal super easy to navigate. I'm going to have to leave and come back for a fight and I'm not even sweating it really.

I used these old ones from the International Zodiac version

Cess007

It's really not that long fortunately.

homer-good.jpg

The next one after that is probably worse.

homer-bad.jpg

Shahed

Is there a video-guide showing all treasures for it?

I just used this map here. There may be a video guide around, but I'm not aware of it. I'm not generally a fan of constantly following specific instructions like zone here, activate this, zone there do this. I just used the map to show me where everything was and then, figured out the path on my own.

You'll start in Area 1, so just get the treasures before you zone to the next Area and so on. If Area 3 looks confusing, here's a rough guide. You'll start on waypoint XVI. Unlock the top left Libra (Orange) gate on the same platform as the Virgo (Blue), go to the Capricorn (yellow) switch ane use it to run to and unlock the Capricorn gate next to the Virgo switch. It doesn't matter which Virgo gate you unlock, just pick whatever though the top left one next to Libra will give you more time for Taurus later) After you've done the Virgo gate, go back to the Capricorn switch and unlock the other yellow gate on the same platform as the blue one above. The only Aquarius (white) gate you need to unlock is the one on the left next to Taurus (pink/purple) switch, and for that, unlock the gate leading to Hastega first, and then the other one leading to another treasure and Omega XII.

It's actually a lot easier and less complicated than it looks and sounds.

Also if you have a Black Mage, I strongly recommend getting Scathe (Near the 2nd Gilgamesh fight in Lhusu) since it works wonders at clearing the hordes of enemies you'll come across therez even better if you keep them on Faith and full HP. If you have WHM or MNK that can use Holy (Pharos at Ridorana) even better. Just pair said Holy ueer with White Robes for extra damage (also in Pharos).

When I was in the 2nd area of The Great Crystal, Penelo (BLM/MNK) just wrecked everything pretty much by herself. Balthier (WHM) and Ashe (KNI/TIM) just kept her buffed, alive and status free so Penelo could Nuke everything. Balthier chipped in with the odd Holy, and once Ultima was down Ashe came into her own with Excalibur as well, but Scathe is just too good if you have a Gambit to use it on 2+ Foes.

SOLDIER

Is there a list of the levels/recommended levels for each Hunt?

Wasted nearly an hour getting lost in the goddamn waterway only to fight a White Mousse I was very much not strong enough to take on. I'd rather not waste my time going to an area only to get trounced again, so knowing the levels beforehand would be great.

Shahed

Is there a list of the levels/recommended levels for each Hunt?

Wasted nearly an hour getting lost in the goddamn waterway only to fight a White Mousse I was very much not strong enough to take on. I'd rather not waste my time going to an area only to get trounced again, so knowing the levels beforehand would be great.
To be honest levels don't make much difference. They'll increase your HP/MP and have minor affects on STR and MAG, but that's about it. The things you get on the License Board like Battle/Magick Lores, Swiftness and many other random passive affects like regen MP and more damage at full/critical HP make a far more significant difference.

However gear is the biggest thing. The differwnce between points of Attack Power and Defence on your weapons and armour are far more important than several level ups. For Hunts and Bosses that do a lot of damage to you, status effects like Silence, Blind and Sleep are your best friends. You can trivialise a lot of them, even when significantly undergeared and/or levelled. It can't kill you if it can't attack you.

Bar the odd exception, I was able to defeat most Hunts as they became available. If you want to be more sure of yourself before doing a lot of them, the events after Raithwell unlock the ability to access a lot of new spellls, techniques and gear that can last you potentially until right near the end of the game. Depends how far you want to take it though

First 60 hours of this game was a blast, starting to get worn down by the end game stuff though. Getting to the seer was awful. .

The conditions for popping enemies is among the worst design decisions in the history of the franchise. Then they tied it to trophies, why.

RussellXV

Finally finished this game after sooooo many years. I was so far in the PS2 version, but never finished it. Got a second opportunity thanks to this remaster, and 4x speed helped quite a bit. Amazing game.

Feeling pretty good right now, made the Ultimate Mark hold that L hard. Can't believe I one shot him, but it was pretty close, I almost got game over'd when I had only Penelo left who was able to Phoenix Down my Fran and get things stabilized.

My strat was basically for my Shikari/Foebreaker Balthier to do all the work on DPS with Yagyu Darkblade and Genji Gloves, with a Gambit to use Bacchus Wine whenever his Berserk wore off. Ended up using 70 Bacchus Wine due to time/constant deaths.

My Time Mage/Uhlan Vaan was on Bubble/Hastega/Expose/Lure Duty as well as the guy I used items on as I burned many a Hi-Ether/Elixir/Megalixir. He had a Zodiac Spear as well so he did some pretty acceptable damage. Had a Ribbon on him.

My White Mage/Machinist Fran was healing/buffing. Keeping up Shellga was of the utmost importance so you have a chance to avoid the instant death spam. She had a Fomalhunt with Dark Shot and a Ribbon on.

Thank goodness for 2x mode, I think the fight took me about an hour due to some poor choices in gambit selection, like not having Shellga being a top priority, by the end of the fight I moved it up to #2 only behind Arise. At least I have a strat down for the rematch in Trial Mode.

Aaaanndd Platin! :)
I have pretty much the exact same thoughts that I had after the PS2 version (non Zodiac).
Good main game (though one of the weaker FFs), excellent Post game.
Major flaws are the RNG (seriously, some of these chests are ridiculous and I didn't even bother with it), some encounter designs (cheap insta death stuff) and the combat system could be more refined in some regards. Don't think I would have platined it without 4x speed though, some of the rare mobs and grind would be unbearable.
Overall I had much fun though, easily 9/10.

edit: Best Boss fight in the game is still Gilgamesh

rocK`

Banned
Man the more I play the more I hate quickenings, they must be the worst limit break of the series. They don't make sense and they don't play to the characters background. I wonder if they tacked it on in the end.

kromeo

Man the more I play the more I hate quickenings, they must be the worst limit break of the series. They don't make sense and they don't play to the characters background. I wonder if they tacked it on in the end.

They were even worse in the original game, they used to drain all your mp when you used them. They do feel stupidly op now though

Top Bottom