• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Patch 3.3: "Revenge of the Horde" trailer up, out June 7

i'm hoping Nidhogg EX will have a bird drop, got Bismarck and Ravana Birds, been farming thordan EX for the purple one, and eventually Sephirot, but yeah love me some EX trials.

Linkark07

Banned
Look at my post above. You don't have to hunt gear to do dungeons

Perhaps not Pre-Heavensward but for the recent content, yes. Think it was one MSQ introduced in patch 3.2 or 3.1.

When I saw the requirement for that dungeon, I immediately logged out.

Edit: my gear is from when Heavensward launched. Only got like 2 or 3 pieces from vendors using tokens from daily dungeons runs.

Qvoth

nidhogg's estinien phase gonna be awesome
AU7Amsc.gif

hopefully aquapolis and palace of the dead gives meaningful reward
wtzgU.gif

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Jumped back in myself this week after several months of hiatus. Nice surprise given I am still working through 3.0 content and now have three full patch updates to fully explore once I wrap up vanilla Heavensward progression.

Game is still incredible and still remains the only MMO that elicits a similar endorphin-release satisfaction as I once felt about vanilla WoW a decade ago.

I just got my Zeta weapon too after years of off and on grinding...time to see what the new relic grind is like.

Arkeband

Banned
Perhaps not Pre-Heavensward but for the recent content, yes. Think it was one MSQ introduced in patch 3.2 or 3.1.

When I saw the requirement for that dungeon, I immediately logged out.

Edit: my gear is from when Heavensward launched. Only got like 2 or 3 pieces from vendors using tokens from daily dungeons runs.

Honestly you probably misjudged how quickly you'd hit that ilvl requirement.

K.Sabot

Hullbreaker Hard seems boring when presented with 0 context, I hope at least the narrative structure around it is interesting.

ZiZ

So, if this is the end of the Dragon Song War, do you think we'll start hearing news about 4.0 soon? Maybe E3?

Allard

So, if this is the end of the Dragon Song War, do you think we'll start hearing news about 4.0 soon? Maybe E3?

Fanfest is when the actual expansion is likely to be announced, but Yoshida did say in the live letter that we would get a sneak peak at what is to come 'after' the finale of the dragonsong war with this coming patch. Much like like we started getting sneak peaks at Heavensward in 2.3 when the final cutscene of the patch had you getting a visual of the inside of Ishgard for the first time with the head cleric of the Holy See being watched over by the Ascians. After that in 2.4 and 2.5 we had the whole Lady Iceheart story and the Crystal Braves storyline which eventually lead into 3.0 story-line directly. (Although they did promise you would only need to have completed 3.0 story-line to do the next expansion stuff instead of all the patch content after the initial release like you had to do for this expansion).

Dalius

Haven't played in a while but I might have to resubmit for the return of Hildibrand.

What is going on with that one encounter gif in the OP, that T-1000 liquid looking boss looks crazy!

There were quite a few genuine surprises in that trailer. I'm looking forward to the finale of the Dragonsong War. We get to finally see a battle between Ishgard and the Dravanian horde instead of having it happen off-screen.

TalonJH

I think I'm a little annoyed that they are calling the little ViVi Mammet, GiGi.

Are they going with a "all Mammet's have the same name" thing because the Goldsmiths Mammet is also GiGi?

Anyway, more Hildebrand is always a good thing.

where did you stop in the story ?

Square made changes in experience gains for MSQ as well as rewards in the pre heavensward missions so you can cruise all the way into heavensward without any grind .

That’s awesome! I forget specifically, but I had recent been doing missions around that desert city (U’dal or something), and missions for the secret hideout place for the good guys, thats at some tiny desert port town.

But if I can finally get the Heavensward I might actually buy it.

This is exciting.

Do you know how much faster the grind got?

iammeiam

edit: just saw the fight phase practice being implemented, that's honestly the most game-changing addition, forget the rest.

There isn't phase practice coming--they're just introducing a DF system for raid. There are two main options: Learning mode and Completion Mode. People who have first time bonus can't queue for Completion mode. People who have cleared for the week can't queue for completion. If you queue for Learning, you get to pick Beginning, Middle, or End learning, but all they do is signify how much of the fight you know to help DF match you with a suitable group. You pick End, get matched with other people who picked End, but you still have to do the full fight every pull. Beginning/Middle/End are going to be player-defined, no correlation to actual fight phases.

Thorgal

That’s awesome! I forget specifically, but I had recent been doing missions around that desert city (U’dal or something), and missions for the secret hideout place for the good guys, thats at some tiny desert port town.

This is exciting.

that's relatively early .

basically what they've done is increase the amount of exp you gain for each Main story quest + also increase the amount you get from dungeons .

in addition they also put better gear as rewards for those missions to keep you up to date more or less .

originally when you reached level 50 and did your final job quest you would be rewarded with i level 50 gear . now in addition to that they also give out i level 90 gear .

then going from 2.1 to 2.55 story you'll continue getting better gear up to 120 which prepares you for heavensward .

the only grind you may encounter is getting to the last 3 levels to get to 50 like i had but that's only because i ignored dungeon roulette for a while .

in short : the grind to heavenward is little to nonexistent .

the only major grind right now is getting your relic weapon up to date but that weapon is completely optional .

edit : if you or anyone have any other questions , feel free to ask in the FF14 OT : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128008

AwShucks

It's a shame some people see MMO and run. I don't care for MMOs but the game makes it so easy to play solo and all the older stuff gets easier to access. Anything story based is generally pretty easy to get into. I only ever had to grind for a couple levels in the 40s otherwise I play the MSQ and do some daily roulette and I'm fine.

It's a top 5 Final Fantasy for me. It's so good.

This is exciting.

If my friend's experience is anything to go by, you'll level up just fine focusing on the main story. That being said, you have a lot of story left to go through. While the grind will be either minimal or non-existent, it will take you quite a few hours to actually reach Heavensward. I think it's very much worth the time investment, however. The original main story is pretty solid, and Heavensward is awesome. I hope you come back and give it a shot!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I stopped playing about two weeks before 3.2 came out and the plan was to jump back when 3.3 came out but the release timing is too unfortunate right now and Monster Hunter Generations comes out in July so I will have to wait until August/September to jump back in.

If my friend's experience is anything to go by, you'll level up just fine focusing on the main story. That being said, you have a lot of story left to go through. While the grind will be either minimal or non-existent, it will take you quite a few hours to actually reach Heavensward. I think it's very much worth the time investment, however. The original main story is pretty solid, and Heavensward is awesome. I hope you come back and give it a shot!

Yeah I loved the original story. I loved it so much that it made me stop playing, when I had to wait hours just to see the next part.

Great game, if not one of the best FF games.

Arkeband

Banned
There isn't phase practice coming--they're just introducing a DF system for raid. There are two main options: Learning mode and Completion Mode. People who have first time bonus can't queue for Completion mode. People who have cleared for the week can't queue for completion. If you queue for Learning, you get to pick Beginning, Middle, or End learning, but all they do is signify how much of the fight you know to help DF match you with a suitable group. You pick End, get matched with other people who picked End, but you still have to do the full fight every pull. Beginning/Middle/End are going to be player-defined, no correlation to actual fight phases.

oh wow, that's incredibly disappointing. Hype deflated. I expect this to have ludicrous wait times.

And that's not even addressing the innate problems with player-defined phases, especially considering most fights are not three distinct phases.

Astra

I'll resub soon, enjoy 3.3 for a couple weeks, then grow bored of the never ending gear treadmill that's been the same since launch and quit until 3.4.

Same shit, different patch.

Astra

MMO's in a nutshell (not that I don't agree).

Oh I know, I've been playing it since launch, so reaching this point was inevitable.

I'm still interested in the MSQ and side stories (like Hildi), so $12 every 3 months isn't bad.

Guess Who

Banned
I'll resub soon, enjoy 3.3 for a couple weeks, then grow bored of the never ending gear treadmill that's been the same since launch and quit until 3.4.

Same shit, different patch.

yeah, this more than anything is really what they need to fix long-term

JSoup

Banned
So, neat dailies, next part of the story, bug people cosplay outfits, dungeon stuffs and pvp crap. 4 out of 5 and Legion is still three months away, I'm in.

Zomba13

I'm hyped. I get burnt out pretty quick with the 3.x patch cycle of only 2 dungeons for Expert Roulette (I'm not into endgame statics and extreme fights and the like because I'm bad) but the story quests always look great. Can't wait for the final battle with Nidhogg.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wish the trailer provided a bit more context for some of the added features.

Like WTF is Deep Dungeon and The Aquapolis, etc...? Just always felt MMO patch trailers are always poor in this regard. (Not exclusive to just FFXIV trailers)

Top Bottom