• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Previews are Dropping

Teslerum

It's sad that FF has largely walked away from it's roots, but if it manages to be a great game on it's own right, I'll be there.

But honestly, I wish that Square made a sub-series that would contain the games true to the franchise's roots and had a similar budget.
Honestly, Yoshi-P sounds un-hinged enough that I wouldn't be surprised that he changes opinions again of what constitutes a Final Fantasy.

That whole *jrpg* rant he had in the SkillUp video and some of the other stuff sounds to me like he's being way too easily swayed and reactionary. The whole decision for the nature of the battle system seems like it was made just because of reactionary thoughts to other games and what others think rather than conviction.

He's an excellent producer/director and so execution won't be a problem regardless of what he does, but yeah. Has his advantages too to get a variety of diverse high quality games.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Waiting Patiently GIF by Justin

Waiting on PC release 💀

StereoVsn

So I was wrong, it's Final Fantasy featuring Dante from DMC, not Souls-like.

I will wait till it's on Steam in a year and use some judicial cheats.

Lunarorbit

11+ hours of cinematics? Even if that's on top of the 35 hour playtime that seems excessive. I know modern ff has tons of cut scenes but that was one of my bigger complaints about ff7 remake.

After about 2/3s of that game I was getting pretty bored with them.

tmlDan

This is super hype, the game looks fantastic on top of all the positive praise.

It's great that FF is doing something different, turn based is boring now and most people don't care for it.

Also, all FF games have a ton of cinematics, why are people acting like that's a surprise lol

Can't wait to plat it :)

Go_Ly_Dow

Well worth a read.

Exploration

“In the past, I’ve mentioned that Final Fantasy XVI is not an open-world game, but what exactly does that mean?

“So to bring the players a wide variety of detailed environments in the highest quality possible, ultimately enhancing the game experience, we selected several areas that we wanted to focus on and created those in extreme detail. We have several large areas connected by a world map. These areas, while not what you’d call open world, are still quite expansive and offer lots of opportunities for exploration.”

Yoshida then played a second video, showcasing a variety of areas available for Clive to explore.

“What you saw here, these are not from cutscenes, these are actual areas that Clive and players will be able to explore. And while not a fully open-world game, we do have many, many of these areas that are available for exploration. So those of you who are worried about the limits of the world, you can rest easy.”

Aenima

dDoc

"CINEMATIC STRIKE!!"

Cinematic experience is confirmed!

Season 17 Popcorn GIF by America's Got Talent

Looks good, just hope combat is not overly simplistic.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I really shouldn't have watched the Garuda boss battle. Not only has it sent my hype to silly levels, but also spoiled too much. Saving grace is it's like one of many many epic boss fights the game will have. Blackout and memory wipe until release now. I'll skip the demo and try and skip the final trailer and state of play whenever those come.

RGB'D

I'm hoping it is good but am going to wait. I haven't liked a FF release since X (excluding 7R, but that is basically just 7) . I'm also not sure I love the action shift but willing to give it a shot if it does well.

StueyDuck

i am still unsure how i feel about this title, everything is awesome looking and seems like it plays well.

i just don't know if this is what i feel a FF game should be, DMC combat it great and fine, but i wish we had a "Breath of the wild" final fantasy that was basically going all the way to it's roots from the first game and try show us what a modern 3d game like that could be,

i kind of want open worlds and airships etc, even if the games themselves are fairly linear in how you progress.

Nautilus

Banned
This is super hype, the game looks fantastic on top of all the positive praise.

It's great that FF is doing something different, turn based is boring now and most people don't care for it.

Also, all FF games have a ton of cinematics, why are people acting like that's a surprise lol

Can't wait to plat it :)
Oh yeah, because people simply hate DQ, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Persona, etc, and they sell soooo very little.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I really shouldn't have watched the Garuda boss battle. Not only has it sent my hype to silly levels, but also spoiled too much. Saving grace is it's like one of many many epic boss fights the game will have. Blackout and memory wipe until release now. I'll skip the demo and try and skip the final trailer and state of play whenever those come.
SQEX regularly spoils major things in FF marketing. Repeatedly.

I'll probably just skip all the previews honestly. I know I'm getting it.

samoilaaa

11+ hours of cinematics? Even if that's on top of the 35 hour playtime that seems excessive. I know modern ff has tons of cut scenes but that was one of my bigger complaints about ff7 remake.

After about 2/3s of that game I was getting pretty bored with them.
depends how interesting they are , the problem with ff7 remake's and ff15's cutscenes is that they were so uniteresting and the dialog was just dull , they had cutscenes for every little thing

GymWolf

This thing looks way more cinematic than i was expecting, it looks like a mix between dmc and a sony game.

Not sure how much i like the tonal difference between adult storytelling, darker tone, and realistic graphic and the batshit crazy action fight system with so much particles and shit on screen.

Jinzo Prime

Not that anyone cares, but here are my thoughts:

• Battle system looks incredible, combat is like DMC5 with FF14 style attack indicators during boss fights.
  • Graphics look great for the most part, but in-game facial animation is lacking a bit. Everyone looks like they had Botox injections!
  • Voice acting is actually fantastic, no anime grunting, lots of emotional depth, voices fit the characters.
  • Slightly concerned about the dungeons, we need to see puzzles and alternate paths.
  • I hate the UI. I don't mind the battlelog on the side of the screen, but does it need to invade the middle of the screen like that? All the colors are distracting, I would rather have just white text. I wish damage numbers were placed in a single position on the screen and were just white as well.
Overall, looks like a fun, well thought out game.

Last edited:

GenericUser

So promising, I hope this will be a return to form for final fantasy. Titan vs. Titan combat sounds amazing. Probably day 1. If Diablo 4 and/or Starfield won't get in the way. #LuxuryGamingProblems.

GymWolf

Not that anyone cares, but here are my thoughts:

• Battle system looks incredible, combat is like DMC5 with FF14 style attack indicators during boss fights.
  • Graphics look great for the most part, but in-game facial animation is lacking a bit. Everyone looks like they had Botox injections!
  • Voice acting is actually fantastic, no anime grunting, lots of emotional depth, voices fit the characters.
  • Slightly concerned about the dungeons, we need to see puzzles and alternate paths.
  • I hate the UI. I don't mind the battlelog on the side of the screen, but does it need to invade the middle of the screen like that? All the colors are distracting, I would rather have just white text. I wish damage numbers were placed in a single position on the screen and were just white as well.
Overall, looks like a fun, well thiught out game.
What is that?

Top Bottom