• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi-P doesn't expect a Final Fantasy 16 sequel or spin-off, says the team has moved onto new projects

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
A bit rude, but I wasn't talking about WoW and it's pretty nonsense implying that every mmo will last the same. I'm surprised that on a gaming forum someone can be totally clueless about game development, but here we are. A company can't wait the day that its mmo stop earning money to start thinking about the next project. A new game may require a whole generation to be developed so it's not impossible that are making preps for 2030
On the subject of MMOs Square has a couple that are still kicking. Primarily FFXI and FFXIV. Not sure if Dragon Quest X is still active. But I imagine since DQX will never see a localized release the only actual MMO that matters to SE is XIV?

I personally think FFXI is the better FF MMO and XIV is the more profitable one and as such I think FFXIV can easily stick around forever much like WoW which is what XIV wants to be.

I think if the staff and funds they took to make XVI is put back into XIV we might see XIV's overall quality improve instead of stagnate like it has. I'd like to think Yoshi P and CBU3 are aware of it but XIV has become "boring" and needs to liven things up. Speaking as a 2.0 player.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Well, that's a good news, like a moron I got the DLC on day one, full price, and dropped it after 2 hours, it s a random sidequest identical to dozens of others in the game, reusing the same environments.
Now I’m glad I skipped it lol

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
My main thing is

(SPOILERS SO DO NOT OPEN)

Clive's ultimate fate, is he dead dead?

Joshua's book in the ending-ending. Doesn't feel like that would be something Joshua could have written *before* the whole thing is resolved, who wrote it? Did Clive impart some of his life-essence into Joshua before dying? Or did Clive take up his name?

I might be wrong but I took it as...

Joshua died and Clive survived. Clive took up Joshua's name and recorded the history of everything that happened. In that end credits scene... so much time had passed and magic had been gone for so long that people now just interpret the whole story as like a fantasy or a fairy tale.

Theres a line somewhere in the game where Clive is talking to the scribe guy and says something about how he'd like to write all their adventure down someday or something like that that kinda hints at it.

Last edited:

stn

The story finished so I'm not surprised. Hopefully FF 17 has' 16's combat but brings back the RPG elements.

Thabass

A bit rude, but I wasn't talking about WoW and it's pretty nonsense implying that every mmo will last the same. I'm surprised that on a gaming forum someone can be totally clueless about game development, but here we are. A company can't wait the day that its mmo stop earning money to start thinking about the next project. A new game may require a whole generation to be developed so it's not impossible that are making preps for 2030
I hope you're talking about yourself in the bolded part.

Square doesn't have the money to create a new MMO if you've been paying attention. Also, you basically said what I said with extra words. Until FFXIV stops making money, which won't happen for the foreseeable future, Final Fantasy XIV will continue. Square has other ventures like their gacha games (FFVII:EC, NeiR Reincarnation, and the KH "X" games) to sustain them for a while and they have begun shifting their focus the produce more AAA games.

With that being said, is it possible they could begin concepts on a new MMO? Sure, but unlikely at the present time. Final Fantasy XIV is one of the best titles at the moment, so there's no real need to create another MMO, which may splinter their player base.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Glad to hear. The team that created that snooze fest shouldn't be allowed near FF again.

SantaC

2D8N7xs.jpg

Fabieter

The best selling title was FF15 and they still cancelled DLCs and put a lot of the development team on Forspoken lol
I think that Square right now need to start the development of a new MMO since FF14 can't go on forever

Ff xiv will start a new arc this year so I would expect a new mmo the next decade.

Top Bottom