• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lokaum D+

"Final Fantasy carries a long legacy, spanning more than 35 years, and after 15 mainline iterations and countless spinoffs, that legacy has been entrusted to the staff of Square Enix’s Creative Business Unit III. Helmed by the team largely responsible for the massive turnaround of Final Fantasy XIV, as well as some other big name industry veterans, Final Fantasy XVI boldly dares to defy series norms and forge a new path forward. The end result is the most satisfying single-player Final Fantasy in nearly two decades, full of spectacular combat, gripping narratives, massive environments, and epic music. Despite its outward appearance, this is no doubt a Final Fantasy game through and through."

"Another impressive component of world building is the world itself. Valisthea is divided into several nations, each of which you explore over the course of the game. As you unlock new locations, you can instantly teleport back and forth via the world map, but that doesn’t mean that the game is limited to separate self-contained environments. Instead, each region has multiple segments that are seamlessly interconnected, and as you progress through the story, they continuously expand with new areas, resulting in a world that truly feels massive in scale. Not only are these locations enormous in size, but the variety of each is also very impressive with deserts, forests, hillsides, mountains, and caves that feel alive with a handcrafted touch."

Last edited:

Stuart360

Getting 90 and above on MC is incredibly hard to do, which is why i dont get why so many on here use a 90+ score as a yard stick for a games quality.

You can have a bunch of 10's, and 9's accross the board, but you literally only need a handful of dodgy/edgy reviews and that 90+ score is impossible to get.

personally anything above 80 is a very good game imo, for that very reason.

Fabieter

I understand, but that's not what I meant. It is the obsession with a specific number, above 90. It seems that anything below that is bad. If the final grade drops to 88, 89, it will be sad for some, as if it were a terrible grade.

It's like saying that winning 1-0 is too bad, we'll have to win 3-0.

90+ and 95+ has a big impact on sales and I wont care either way but it's saddens that outlets with some kind of agenda will push lower than they have to. Reading some this criticism is crazy talk.

nial

Gold Member
Reviews are great.

Polygon and Eurogamer dragging down the game predictably so metacritic will probably be under 90, a shame as the devs worked asses off with this and went flat out. FFXVI being held up to higher standards unfairly, whilst GOW Ragnarock gets a free pass for its medioctrity and gets dished out 10s galore. 🤡
Rent free?

Fabieter

Getting 90 and above on MC is incredibly hard to do, which is why i dont get why so many on here use a 90+ score as a yard stick for a games quality.

You can have a bunch of 10's, and 9's accross the board, but you literally only need a handful of dodgy/edgy reviews and that 90+ score is impossible to get.

Some studio's and ips get that 90+ automatically. The hate boner for sqaure and final fantasy is to big tho.

I assure you Starfield getting close to 95 no matter the critism.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Some studio's and ips get that 90+ automatically. The hate boner for sqaure and final fantasy is to big tho.

I actually feel the opposite, i cant see Starfield getting above 90 for various reasons.
I'll be exstatic with 85+ to be honest.

SaniOYOYOY

Eurogamer woke clowns did an obvious hit piece, the game doesn't matter to them. Stop giving these morons clicks. They no longer review games, they are phony activists.
This has to be why its not mcing in the 90.
With how it played and how the leaked story went... This shouldn't be less than 90.

Well who cares then. Im sure the audience will react to it better

Field

FFXVI - 'Fantasy'

They wrote this article because 2.5% of the people voted in favor of the boycott. 97.5% of the people voted that they are not gonna boycott. 😄

NLTWAt8.jpg
Websites that use clickbait headlines for news should be instantly boycotted.

phant0m

89, lock it in.

Gotta be Nintendo, FROM Soft or Sony 1P for 90+ these days.

Lets check in when the reviews drop.

Not saying I agree with them, but there will be 6/10 & 7/10 reviews for bullshit reasons that will bring the score down.

Eurogamer 3/5, doubtless.because:

"The world is also conspicuous for its ethnic homogeneity..." Whine whine cry.

Jesus. They never give it a rest do they, the clowns.

There is always an attention whore outlet that gives a score way lower just to get clicks and that ruins the aggregated score. Maybe they’re paid by the competition. Who knows

as expected, it's not an exclusive game like Zelda or God If War, so obviously the ratings would be lower

told y'all

Luigi Mario

Their last big game, Fallout 4, only got an 87 Metacritic score and lets not talk about Fallout 76.

Last edited:

Madflavor

88 reviews in and sitting at an 88 on MC. Whatever the case may be, it's scoring much higher than FFXIII and FFXV. Looks like the franchise first real win with a new mainline entry in nearly two decades.

StueyDuck

Banned
Reviewers are nitwits

But at least what they say is good about the game is sounding right up my alley, pre-order justified

Zones

I actually feel the opposite, i cant see Starfield getting above 90 for various reasons.
I'll be exstatic with 85+ to be honest.
Starfield will win GOTY. That become obvious after certain interview that took place about a month ago.

If the Halo Infinite score* didn’t get that obvious memo through to certain people, then Starfield surely will.

*Funny that Halo Infinite, which is perhaps one of the gaming’s biggest ever flops, has the same Metascore as FF16. 🤡

Thirty7ven

Banned
Their last big game, Fallout 4, only got an 87 Metacritic score and lets not talk about Fallout 76.

That’s the thing though isn’t it? Fallout 4 was forgettable, ugly at the time, with lame writing and dated gameplay yet it still got 87. That’s the crazy part.

Obviously it’s a hard comparison to make because these games are reviewed by different people.

Usually what matters is the reasons why a game is scoring high and the reasons why a game is scoring low. When a game gets so much praise for doing so many things right and then gets docked for side shit, that’s when it feels a bit weird because not every game is held to that type of standard. Some games are reviewed based on what they do, others are reviewed based on what they don’t do. And that’s lame as fuck.

Stafford

I don't have the time to read the reviews now, but any word on the performance mode? It was not.....good in the demo, it was anything but stable, and the resolution wasn't exactly great either. Surely this has been addressed? As in the demo being a really old build?

Top Bottom