• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jm89

gdLZGn5.jpg

As a person of colour i could give one flying fuck.

Also this is the reviewer

cwXFW4f.png

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thank you terminally middle class Londoner for feeling outrage on our behalf.

Last edited:

Fabieter

That’s the thing though isn’t it? Fallout 4 was forgettable, ugly at the time, with lame writing and dated gameplay yet it still got 87. That’s the crazy part.

Obviously it’s a hard comparison to make because these games are reviewed by different people.

Usually what matters is the reasons why a game is scoring high and the reasons why a game is scoring low. When a game gets so much praise for doing so many things right and then gets docked for side shit, that’s when it feels a bit weird because not every game is held to that type of standard. Some games are reviewed based on what they do, others are reviewed based on what they don’t do. And that’s lame as fuck.

Thank you. That's my entire point and I think there is no cure for ff to do it right at this point. This franchise is so awesome and I can't catch a break because of the stuff you mentioned.

Porticus

That’s the thing though isn’t it? Fallout 4 was forgettable, ugly at the time, with lame writing and dated gameplay yet it still got 87. That’s the crazy part.

Obviously it’s a hard comparison to make because these games are reviewed by different people.

Usually what matters is the reasons why a game is scoring high and the reasons why a game is scoring low. When a game gets so much praise for doing so many things right and then gets docked for side shit, that’s when it feels a bit weird because not every game is held to that type of standard. Some games are reviewed based on what they do, others are reviewed based on what they don’t do. And that’s lame as fuck.
Dated gameplay?

Tell me another game that does exploration like Bethesda, for that we simply have to wait their next game that is gonna be released in September.

feynoob

Gold Member

It's about setting.
Bethesda games offer world building for you. You can ignore the main story.
While other rely on the story to progress the game. Without it, the game feels dull.

Fabieter

We really need to stop caring what mainstream gaming media thinks about games.

The scale is so clearly broken, and its brokenness doesn’t even represent how most gamers think.

It has direct impact on the sales of the franchise we love which impacts future budgets. I also can have fun with 6 out of 10 games but it's more complicated.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So whats this boycott about?, i havent been following this.
Some woke related nonsesne i guess?
FFXVI - 'FF16'

The Director has already explained that it is set in a "medieval Europe" setting, which is there isn't enough diversity so it can stay true to the era, geographical region it is inspired from, etc., but whiners gotta whine.

Rush2112

Banned
Getting 90 and above on MC is incredibly hard to do, which is why i dont get why so many on here use a 90+ score as a yard stick for a games quality.

You can have a bunch of 10's, and 9's accross the board, but you literally only need a handful of dodgy/edgy reviews and that 90+ score is impossible to get.

personally anything above 80 is a very good game imo, for that very reason.
If this was some nintendo exclusive it would have scored higher.

feynoob

Gold Member
It has direct impact on the sales of the franchise we love which impacts future budgets. I also can have fun with 6 out of 10 games but it's more complicated.
Check god of war Ragnorak and tears of kingdom reviews. Those scores impacted those games alot.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
88 on MC with 97 reviews. So the majority of reviews are in. Looks like this is settling in the 87-90 range.

Great scores, now to see if the performance is ironed out.

Wheres DF and VG Tech?

Might be a hold out for PC for me.

Last edited:

hinch7

90 on OC so missed on one one. That's darn impressive though, its even higher than FF7R.

Think we can call this a return to form for the series, at least as the mainline series goes.

Luigi Mario

88 reviews in and sitting at an 88 on MC. Whatever the case may be, it's scoring much higher than FFXIII and FFXV. Looks like the franchise first real win with a new mainline entry in nearly two decades.
It really feels like it. Most of the buzz surrounding this game has been very positive, but we will have to see how it compares to FFXV and the FFXIII trilogy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
"That contradiction speaks to the oddly self-cancelling nature of the story as a whole. Again, FF16 is on some level a playable deconstruction of the traditional hero yarn - its plot painstakingly explores how the urge to fight everyone's battles for them may disintegrate into egotism and even callousness, bred of thinking the world is yours to save. But the game's insistence on playing out the hero fable regardless is having your cake and eating it - certainly, it doesn't take 50 hours to grasp this morale. And while Final Fantasy 16 is perhaps the state of the art for real-time Final Fantasy combat, its dreary sidequests and slight excess of worldbuilding leave me reluctant to fire up New Game+. All told, I still prefer the older Final Fantasies, which also trade in stories of heroes averting the apocalypse, but always place those heroes second to the party."
Is my english getting worse or this is kinda badly written and hard to follow?

Last edited:

skit_data

According ElAnalistaDebits the performance mode is not better with day one patch, and some areas after in the game the performance is worse than the Demo
Curious, I'm reading a review from a swedish gaming news site, fz.se, and they say the framerate is solid outside of a few areas. I guess I'll see for myself in just a few hours.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
As a person of colour i could give one flying fuck.

Also this is the reviewer

cwXFW4f.png

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thank you terminally middle class Londoner for feeling outrage on our behalf.

I live in North West London, and I'm surrounded by these cunts. Not a single one of them knows what it's like to actually have to work hard for a living. They have no comprehension of what it's like to worry about where the rent is coming from.

This is what gives them the time to be outraged on behalf of everyone who isn't as fortunate and entitled as they are. The entire entertainment industry is infected with them. And like any virus, they make sure to kill off anything that threatens their growth.

I have held conversations with people like this who I wanted to stab repeatedly after just a couple of minutes listening to them talking about how unfair the world is - as they drink £20 glasses of craft beer, wearing £200 sun glasses, and living in flats that their parents still pay for.

How long before Eurogamer delete their comments section?! Their own commentards are laughing at the reviewer's take, and that usually makes them cry enough to close the comments. 😄

And I note they've already deleted plenty of individual comments that dared to offer constructive criticism of the fool reviewer.

Last edited:

Koenigssee

These mfs gonna have to unplug their internet and board up their windows in the next few days i tell ya.

Still this is a W.

Sleepwalker

Reviews seem great to me? Yeah a couple trash sites were always gonna sabotage. Cant wait, need to check out skillup and acg

killatopak

Gold Member
Imagining Yoshi P reading those political reviews when even his own race isn’t in the game.

I’m tired of people representing my race without our consent. In fact it’s not even that. The fact that people lump the opinions of your race into one homogeneous opinion is the issue. By doing so, they’re basically erasing our individuality. I don’t even have the same opinions as my mom and they have the nerve to represent all of us?

Fabieter

13 Sentinels on PS4 is at 85 and that one my favourite game all time.

If it would have scored like we hoped than it would have easily done above 10m on ps5 alone. The impact with these scores on sales are tremendous. I dont care either but I can assure you that we won't get a budget this big around for the next main game.

Top Bottom