• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was listening to several tracks... it feels like an aggressive and violent drive to prove that Final Fantasy is a franchise fighting to regain the highest of universal praises.

there is the use of legacy motifs/melodies with distinctive somber tone....like they are going balls deep, balls to the wall.......like your anime character that endured a brutal defeat at the hands of the enemy....but there is this force building up ready to go:
WzXj64c.gif

Gudji

The game does use QTEs. So, that might get it in trouble. It will be in the 90s.
The QTEs on the game are mostly used to switch boss phase or reposition the characters during big fights so I don't think so.
They're also really simple its just a button press while you watch a "cutscene", even if you fail to press on time (and its a very generous one) you'll just see a different cutscene.

Last edited:

Zones

I’m actually going to peg Starfield as settling at 89 too.

Gotta get those clickbait 6/10 scores re:
  • Bugs/technical issues
  • 30 fps
  • “Doesn’t do enough new”
  • Something something too white/too straight/not diverse enough
Not sure what you are on about, because if you read around a bit, you would notice that nearly every website has made up their mind regarding Starfield in that the game's scale is so big and complex, that it's already essentially immune to any legit criticism.

If the mediocre Halo Infinite gets 87, Starfield is the easiest +90 prediction anyone can make right now. In fact as of now, I think it's the top runner for winning GOTY at the TGA this year (it will 99% be Zelda or Starfield, with that 1% chance going to FF16).

I’d say 90-95….but there is a big enough group of reviewers that will probably dock it just because of their personal opinions of how it’s “not Final Fantasy anymore”, so that will probably keep it in the 80s. There’s also the outlier crowd of reviews that will undoubtedly bash it due to “diversity issues”.
Hence why I don’t listen to reviews when making my buying decisions with games anymore. Grain of salt my friends, grain of salt.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Or Bethesda.

splattered

I voted 90-95

This will be Square's next hugely successful game and they will soon pretend it doesn't exist and go back to focusing on NFT crap instead

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think in reality it'll be a low 90s game. Maybe mid 90s. But there's enough "reviewers" that'll dock harshly for bullshit reasons and drag it down to high 80s.

Which is why Metacritic/OpenCritic are a fucking joke. People need to stop using them as barometers for *anything*.

Chukhopops

I think it will be divisive between Gen Z and older, which might be reflected in the reviews.

Also it’s a 100 from PlayStation Lifestyle, I can tell you.

Teslerum

Which is why Metacritic/OpenCritic are a fucking joke. People need to stop using them as barometers for *anything*.
I don't know about OpenCritic, but Metacritic falls apart with the slightest bit of research. Just compare two games, look at their critic scores and realize that they don't match in publications chosen despite the publications themselves having put out reviews for both games.

Basically its arbitrary as fuck. It's something I noticed 10 years ago, but somehow is never brought up.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I'm expecting low 80s. Given that reviewers don't care about what FF is supposed to be, nor about the franchise having an identity, they will see the gameplay changes from XV as an improvement, and the story will certainly be a highlight.

But the fact that the game is more of a joyride(Focused more on adrenaline and less on exploration) will deduct points from it, and the Aeons fights will probably be underwhelming, alongside the seemingly shallow RPG mechanics inside it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Publishers use them though for devs bonuses which is even more fucked up.
I don't know about OpenCritic, but Metacritic falls apart with the slightest bit of research. Just compare two games, look at their critic scores and realize that they don't match in publications chosen despite the publications themselves having put out reviews for both games.

Basically its arbitrary as fuck. It's something I noticed 10 years ago, but somehow is never brought up.
Yep and it won't change until people stop being stupid and stop giving them attention. The only time I ever see people use Metacritic/OpenCritic on sites like GAF are for console wars or to validate their own purchase decisions, because they lack the maturity/intelligence to do so themselves.

I'm expecting low 80s. Given that reviewers don't care about what FF is supposed to be, nor about the franchise having an identity, they will see the gameplay changes from XV as an improvement, and the story will certainly be a highlight.

But the fact that the game is more of a joyride(Focused more on adrenaline and less on exploration) will deduct points from it, and the Aeons fights will probably be underwhelming, alongside the seemingly shallow RPG mechanics inside it.
cry baby GIF

phant0m

Not sure what you are on about, because if you read around a bit, you would notice that nearly every website has made up their mind regarding Starfield in that the game's scale is so big and complex, that it's already essentially immune to any legit criticism.

If the mediocre Halo Infinite gets 87, Starfield is the easiest +90 prediction anyone can make right now. In fact as of now, I think it's the top runner for winning GOTY at the TGA this year (it will 99% be Zelda or Starfield, with that 1% chance going to FF16).
Lets check in when the reviews drop.

Not saying I agree with them, but there will be 6/10 & 7/10 reviews for bullshit reasons that will bring the score down.

88-95 % from all the stuff i've read, this is the real deal. i'm hoping so hard so i don't have to cope so bad with disappointment like i have the last decade.

specific guess: 92

after i played 13 i disliked it, and sold my Japanese copy before beating it. after 15 i thought... damn even 13 was the better of the two.

LFG.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It'll get bad reviews from some outlets due to lack of diversity, but other than that I expect high scores.

Top Bottom