• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
KeenTallGadwall-size_restricted.gif
Her metal band is going to be awesome.

Sojiro

With the early very positive impressions that seem to be floating around, I am expecting around a 93 aggregate when the dust settles. Followed by a quick review bombing since it's a high profile game, and the shitheads just can't help themselves.

I’m actually going to peg Starfield as settling at 89 too.

Gotta get those clickbait 6/10 scores re:
  • Bugs/technical issues
  • 30 fps
  • “Doesn’t do enough new”
  • Something something too white/too straight/not diverse enough
Pretty sure bugs and technical issues are a legit reason to drop a score…now if it’s overblown and drops the score to 6/10 then that’s a different story lol

Any great game that would normally be 90+, I assume will be a 89 MC due to sites changing how they do their scoring and having less half points, etc.
To get over 90 is really hard now.

Last edited:
To anyone thinking there is a lack of diversity, I tell you to wait for the full game, just that. You can never know, or maybe I know something :messenger_winking:... or not :messenger_tongue:.

Rush2112

Banned
It won’t be high. You underestimate how many sour FF fans are out there fuming while playing their PS1 FF VII for the 100th time With their nostalgia goggles on.

Last edited:

Teslerum

To anyone thinking there is a lack of diversity, I tell you to wait for the full game, just that. You can never know, or maybe I know something :messenger_winking:... or not :messenger_tongue:.
If what I'm thinking is what you're thinking that's already known via another controversy (There's probably a thread here as well IIRC). It's also apparently more than halfway through the game.

So not sure if that's gonna stop the screeches. :messenger_tongue:

GHG

Club 90's are optimistic IMO.

There are already too many "controversies" surrounding this game for it to reach those heights.

The demo/opening reminds me of the God of War 3 opening several years ago (Poseidon). The fear at the time was that the initial sequence was the best and the rest of the game will be hard to live up to it. Didn't end up being the case with God of War 3 and hope it's not the case here.

Krathoon

For some reason, Amazon is doing this delivery on the 26th bullshit. They keep pulling this shit and I will switch to GameStop.

Sleepwalker

Deluxe edition delivery date was for monday so cancelled and got the regular. Hope it actually delivers on thursday ffs. No steelbook for me rip.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
For some reason, Amazon is doing this delivery on the 26th bullshit. They keep pulling this shit and I will switch to GameStop.
Target has been super reliable with games. Well, physical games. Don’t ever buy a digital code to a game from their app.

Just do drive up pick up, if you don’t want to get out of the car.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Thats reasonable and there is nothing wrong with that, but some people are just petty.....what can you do?🤷‍♂️
Every mainline FF release that I can remember has had a vocal minority of whiners. What surprised me about XVI was how few complainers there are.

And it seems like most of them were assuming it would follow in the footsteps of XV and VII Remake, and they changed their tune after trying the demo.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Every mainline FF release that I can remember has had a vocal minority of whiners. What surprised me about XVI was how few complainers there are.

And it seems like most of them were assuming it would follow in the footsteps of XV and VII Remake, and they changed their tune after trying the demo.
Prepare yourself because we gonna suffer same shit when Armoured Core VI comes close to release......."OMG it doesn't play EXACTLY like old AC games.......0/10"

Raven117

High 80's for me. But Ill probably love it way in the "90s"

It has everything I've wanted in a modern FF since....damn man...at least a decade...maybe two.

Last edited:
If what I'm thinking is what you're thinking that's already known via another controversy (There's probably a thread here as well IIRC). It's also apparently more than halfway through the game.

So not sure if that's gonna stop the screeches. :messenger_tongue:
True, some people are never satisfied.

It won’t be high. You underestimate how many sour FF fans are out there fuming while playing their PS1 FF VII for the 100th time With their nostalgia goggles on.
Do they really have nostalgia goggles on if they're playing it for the hundredth time? Must be something there.

(Disclaimer: One of those people 😆)

I still think it will be pretty high MC.

Reactions: Isa

Gambit2483

I've been on media blackout for a while now but everything I've heard so far leads me to believe this will easily be a 90+ title.

The only complaints seem to be from those that wish the battle system was more Turnbased or like FF7R but even then it's a competent battle system.

So yea, 90+

This tells more about GoWR than FFXVI. Never had the same impact as GoW 2018, for me at least.
I couldn't even get into 2018. Seemed OK but absolutely wasn't what I expected after knowing nothing about it but enjoying the first three games years ago. I'll have to give it another try.

Fake

I couldn't even get into 2018. Seemed OK but absolutely wasn't what I expected after knowing nothing about it but enjoying the first three games years ago. I'll have to give it another try.

I still prefer the old one. Kratos was indeed more fast, strong and brutal, but I give Santa Monica kudos because making a reboot is really hard those days and GoW 2018 combat is very satisfy.

In FF advantage they litelary can do 'reboots' every game they do because is the charm of the franchise. Its up to the combat to raise the FF bars.

phant0m

This tells more about GoWR than FFXVI. Never had the same impact as GoW 2018, for me at least.

Correct. It’s a Magic FranchiseTM that gets 5-10 points above the same game released under a different name (eg the Belda problem)

Don’t get me wrong, Ragnarok is a great game but I would only give it high 80s, not 90+

Last edited:

Gudji

Anyone know how many hours till reviews? Thanks.

EDIT: nevermind someone said 7 AM PT

Last edited:
I still prefer the old one. Kratos was indeed more fast, strong and brutal, but I give Santa Monica kudos because making a reboot is really hard those days and GoW 2018 combat is very satisfy.

In FF advantage they litelary can do 'reboots' every game they do because is the charm of the franchise. Its up to the combat to raise the FF bars.
I wouldn't say it's exclusively up to the combat to raise the bar, but also the auxillary systems that support them particularly character customization or things related to that. I guess they could be considered one in the same to an extent though, so maybe you are right after a fashion (VII Materia, VIII Junction, IX item abilities, X Sphere grid, XII License).

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t remember deep diving into reviews for mainline Final Fantasy games. I remember Final Fantasy XII got a perfect score from Famitsu and it came out much earlier than the NA version. I feel like reviews aren’t a huge decision factor for the mainline games. It’s annoying now because they’ve got such a larger soap box to complain about the game.

• Thoughtful
Top Bottom