• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saintjules

When people say “I’m not buying it because it doesn’t have a 90+ MC,” it is the equivalent of a person telling you “I’m just not looking for a relationship.”

They’re not looking for a relationship… with you. They’re not that interested. From footage that they’ve seen, it hasn’t piqued their interest enough to go and get it Day 1. Maybe a high MC average would have swayed them. But the MC average is not high enough to have swayed them.

This narrative of “ugh people are SHEEP for basing their purchases on MC scores!” is hilariously disingenuous.

Agreed. Can you imagine not getting a game based on a number averaged by people you don't even know.

Edit: wording

Last edited:

Fabieter

When it’s a long running series, it is IMPOSSIBLE for people to not have certain expectations. We are human. It is impossible; I don’t care what anyone says. And even Yoshi-P said it himself, that the FF series kind of lost its foundation after Sakaguchi left.

To me, the only FF team that still speaks to me is CBU1, in charge of VII/VIII/X/XIII/VIIR. Their games have the aesthetic and gameplay that I’m looking for with FF and their games still feel like the older era FF’s. Personally. And I respect this team more for coming up with a unique battle system that, despite some flaws, is largely very praised, while respecting traditional elements of prior FF’s. That is the right way to go, IMO.

I’m happy for people who are excited for FFXVI but I can’t shake how utterly Western it feels and I don’t like that at all. The combat being more DMC-like is fine, but it’s the overall product that feels incredibly Western, from the muted color palette, to the more generic-looking fantasy world, to the lack of gorgeous CG cutscenes the series is known for, etc. It’s disappointing to me. Like at this point absolutely nothing is safe when it comes to mainline FF’s. That’s not a good thing. Every entry can be fresh, but just having chocobos, spell names, and some monsters being the same is not nearly enough for a long running franchise. And unlike, say, BOTW/TOTK, XVI doesn’t do anything revolutionary to make up for omitting some beloved series traits; it’s rather derivative, much like the MMO that this team has worked on. But it’s clear that CBU1 is basically Final Fantasy’s “Western-oriented” team that’s inspired by Western media + Matsuno (who is also heavily inspired by Western media).

Also, while Tabata had a point about “FF disease,” he has no room to talk. He made the story and story content/presentation, which is always the the top priority in FF games, the last priority, all for a boring and subpar open world.

Final fantasy started as a western inspired role playing game. There was a pretty popular western rpg which helped with that? Do you get which game iam talking about?

Dr.Morris79

PlayStation owners tomorrow:

0aaz28rvRf559aUFaUPSmBvcp1dH_-DY6IovnaiOfcM.png

PC Players (me) waiting for the steam release:

waiting-skeleton-meme-nyvwiiuyuohayb96.jpg

Xbox owners who will never get to play it:

Entanglement_(1).jpg
Is it wrong to be all three? 👀

Can you imagine not getting a game based on a number averaged by people you don't even know.

I just explained it to you. The “I’m not getting it bc it’s not a 90+ MC average” is just an excuse. They’re not that interested.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Final fantasy started as a western inspired role playing game. There was a pretty popular western rpg which helped with that? Do you get which game iam talking about?
Pretty baffling to me that a lot of people just don't seem to remember how Final Fantasy was inspired by Dungeons and Dragons.

Reactions: Isa
I always thought it would be a stretch for a 90s MC score. The game absolutely looks like a high 80s.

My opinion as to why has to do with the combat system/game design - which is getting mostly praise, but is not THE main reason for its higher scores. No, I am not a turn based hanger-on. As superior as this combat system is to DMC, there's still DMC-DNA in there.

It's probably politics

Mr Moose

The Verge and Kotaku didnt receive Hogwarts Legacy review codes because of how biased they are, so not surprised.
I forgot that released this year, damn, lots of good games so far in 2023. Hogwarts was great, I hear RE4R is great, same with Hi-Fi Rush, SF6 and a few others and then later this year potentially Spider-Man 2, Starfield and Forza 💦

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Never got into Final Fantasy although i've played FF4 on DS back then and i remember liking it, but these new FF games are completely different to the old one, right?

Each game is self contained in the mainline entries from a narrative standpoint.

Gameplay wise, there are systems and mechanics that have endured from the older titles, but asking if a 2023 game plays differently from a 1991 game, your answer is as obvious as it seems.

amigastar

Each game is self contained in the mainline entries from a narrative standpoint.

Gameplay wise, there are systems and mechanics that have endured from the older titles, but asking if a 2023 game plays differently from a 1991 game, your answer is as obvious as it seems.
Yeah, but it was regarding Turn based vs realtime based that has nothing to do with age but artistic decision.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, but it was regarding Turn based vs realtime based that has nothing to do with age but artistic decision.

Very true, but also pertains to what sells and current trends, too. I think things like traditional turn based RPGs are falling out of mainstream vogue and reserved primarily for indies and such as a direct consequence of people's drastically decreased attention spans and need for instant, binge-volume content in the last ten years or so.

But really, Final Fantasy phased out turn based after XIII. If you're interested in the series and prefer that style of gameplay, that's your safe cut off date.

Buggy Loop

Yeah that's bullshit too.

Imagine claiming it's the best ever final fantasy....that's wild....it should be at a 95 metacritic if that's the case...

Better than FFV, VI and IX....wowza

It won't age well i would wager. I think it will be polarizing, too much a departure towards DMC genre but without the combat refinement, while ditching the more traditional RPG roots.

I really didn't like FFVII remake combat, its shit

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Yeah that's bullshit too.

Imagine claiming it's the best ever final fantasy....that's wild....it should be at a 95 metacritic if that's the case...

Better than FFV, VI and IX....wowza

A metacritic score should not define what the best of anything is

Play the game and judge for yourself.

I wouldn’t be shocked if this is the best final fantasy I’ve ever played, the demo certainly indicated that to me

I am aware of this. Started as. Are the series’ most beloved entries DND inspired? Is that what the series is known for? No. That’s my point.

I just have to accept that CBU3 doesn’t produce games for me. And I’m glad that this game basically didn’t perform better critically compared to FFVIIR (XVI: 88, VIIR: 87 Intergrade: 89) and now the FF fans more partial towards CBU3 can stop being condescending and smug about how XVI will be the template for the series’ future because it’ll be a huge critical darling (sorry, I’m feeling petty).

But my post also represents the problem with current FF: it’s too long of a wait between entries, and NO feature is safe. Anything and everything can be removed in the next entry. So, of course, that’ll lead to more fighting amongst fans. I’d love to be that fan that goes with the flow and loves every entry but I’m not. I go into FF expecting certain things. Which is normal. It is very normal to have expectations.

But also I apologize as this post is essentially me rambling.

Last edited:

Myths

When I watch the scenes, events, and read the dialogue in FF16, I think about if it’s something plausible that would be done in the 2D FFs as far as scenario/event planning, character placement, and scripting - this reflects exactly how it would be done in a handful of those same 2D games. Characters watching afar in a hidden outlook captives or hostages, altered environments as a result of an attack or some other effect, summons having a great deal of overwhelming presence, and so on. Marching fleets/armies, main character getting a speech about their actions or some plan in place after being knocked out for some time, powerful opponents not attacking so often but when they do they hit like a truck (after being portrayed as an active, formidable foe throughout the plot). All of these things collectively viewed as tropes specific to FF are brought to the forefront.

There’s not a moment that goes by where my mind doesn’t compare scenarios, plots, and cutscenes to those games - it certainly hits its mark in that respect. So even if this were somehow a 2D entry, I would see it not different in how it manages to execute these things identical to those that have come before.

Side note, with the way AI is opening new avenues, if they are at all able to implement an audio system where in-game battle moves affects the character’s VA dialogue (e.g. reflecting exhaustion, pain, sadness, or and/tiredness), it’d elevate the emotion and temperature of the preceding events. Usually, we’d hear just a simple VA dialogue over battles which don’t exactly reflecting the exhaustion of movement or wearing of battle. This is for mostly dynamic inputs, scripted events with fixed times in which delivery occurs could just be pre-recorded in a certain tone.

Last edited:

Hugare

Haven't read any of these reviews in their entirety, but some of the excerpts sort of confirm my worry of "mostly action" with very subdued RPG elements. A sad day for a former RPG heavyweight series, but I've still got my copy on order and ready to see for myself tomorrow. Hopefully the other qualities redeem it as a package. I still expect this to be the best title overall since XII though I guess that doesn't say much considering what is in-between.
I love the whole franchise, but I'm so thankful that Square gives every new FF entry complete freedom to do whatever the hell they want. Since XI every FF game plays different from each other, and I love it.

Lets be honest: turn based battles are niche nowadays. I loved DQ XI, but not because of the same old turn based combat. I doubt that even the japanese players love it mostly), they just play it due to nostalgia.

See other modern "RPGs": The Witcher is is very light on RPG elements, same with Souls. Can think of any recent franchise that uses turn based combat and sold more than 10M copies.

Even Dragon Quest will drop the turn based system for the next entry (and I'm anxious to see how people will react to that)

Judge for what the game is, not what it isnt. Its not like they've advertised it as a turn based RPG and people discovered that it wasnt the case just when it launched.

killatopak

Gold Member
See other modern "RPGs": The Witcher is is very light on RPG elements, same with Souls. Can think of any recent franchise that uses turn based combat and sold more than 10M copies.
the biggest Japanese ip still has turn based combat and yes it sold more than 10m.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d kill for a new, high budget, turn based FF game from square. But that ship has long since left the harbor. At this point just move on.
Nothing can stop this train. If anything they’ll integrate more systems like magic/ability wheels. My guess is it’ll never leave the 3rd person perspective.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’d kill for a new, high budget, turn based FF game from square. But that ship has long since left the harbor. At this point just move on.
We are still getting good amount of turn based RPGs, if its high budget or not is irrelevant.

GHG

Gold Member
Just played the first hour and a half and I'm as impressed as I thought I'd be.

The resolution mode looks great, just a shame about the framerate.

Where the hell is the OT for this game?

I'm disgusted with Eurogamer review. They should be ashamed of themselves for bomb reviewing a game that clearly DOES NOT DESERVE that low of a score that was clearly given for the sake of an agenda that has nothing to do with the quality of the game.
This is more than dishonesty, this is CRUELTY with the developers that worked very hard to create the game. You don't have to like the game, but those passionate developers (so passionate that the music composer battled a cancer while still working) deserve a TRUE REVIEW of their work.

John Wick

No, but i will be envy :lollipop_steam_nose:

The Verge and Kotaku didnt receive Hogwarts Legacy review codes because of how biased they are, so not surprised.
I think this is a wise course of action for other companies to adopt a similar stance. Blacklist them. If they can't give honest reviews then you shouldn't be reviewing games.

I'm disgusted with Eurogamer review. They should be ashamed of themselves for bomb reviewing a game that clearly DOES NOT DESERVE that low of a score that was clearly given for the sake of an agenda that has nothing to do with the quality of the game.
This is more than dishonesty, this is CRUELTY with the developers that worked very hard to create the game. You don't have to like the game, but those passionate developers (so passionate that the music composer battled a cancer while still working) deserve a TRUE REVIEW of their work.
Amen to that. I'm officially done with them and Digital Foundry. There's nothing professional about them.

Top Bottom