• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This game is really good. Like, I haven't been this happy with a Final Fantasy game's first 3 hours since FFX.

There are some technical issues, but really they are comparatively minor compared to most AAA titles this gen. They are going to get 90+ ratings and they deserve them.
giphy.gif

Regginator

Not a big FF fan. In fact, the only ones I've tried (and didn't particularly love) were FF7 and FF7R. But they're obviously a beloved series to many, and the demo was pretty good. I vote 80-90%, upper 80s to be precise. Apparently this is quite a departure from RPG to full-blown action, and I feel not all fans will be over the moon by that decision.

Mr.Phoenix

6 people must be xbox only super fans ..
Hehe, also a reminder that even with reviewers, there will be those 5-6 outets that figure they get more attention by publishing an outlier type review. And focus on some sort of moral standing vs doing their jobs and just reviewing a game for big a game.
Not a big FF fan. In fact, the only ones I've tried (and didn't particularly love) were FF7 and FF7R. But they're obviously a beloved series to many, and the demo was pretty good. I vote 80-90%, upper 80s to be precise. Apparently this is quite a departure from RPG to full-blown action, and I feel not all fans will be over the moon by that decision.
I agree that it goes in a different direction from say the Classic FF... but so did FF15. The party you have in that game is just for show. literally.

I have a question though, do you consider Witcher 3 as not an RPG but instead a full-blown action game?

Regginator

I agree that it goes in a different direction from say the Classic FF... but so did FF15. The party you have in that game is just for show. literally.

I have a question though, do you consider Witcher 3 as not an RPG but instead a full-blown action game?

I do, but I'm just quoting some stuff I read in the previews for XVI.

Fredrik

Early players: Is it a bad idea to play 16 before I’ve finished FF7RI? I need to finish FF7RI to be ready for Rebirth but going to the talk I fear the realtime action is so improved in 16 that it’ll ruin my time with 7.

Teslerum

Early players: Is it a bad idea to play 16 before I’ve finished FF7RI? I need to finish FF7RI to be ready for Rebirth but going to the talk I fear the realtime action is so improved in 16 that it’ll ruin my time with 7.
Different kind of action combat. Apples and Oranges.

Zheph

Quite different battle system, i wouldn't worry at all

Guilty_AI

I bet 95, but who knows, gaming media don't like JRPG games that much.
This game is doing almost everything in the book to please western media, from the 'le mature' story to real-time action combat.
It'll get good reviews, unless it completely messes up something.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Persona 5 and Royal have like a 95 on Metacritic. Western media is more than okay with a great JRPG that appeals mainly to Japan.
There you go, even more reason this won't get bad reviews for frivolous reasons. I'd argue there's IP bias there but that definitely applies as much (if not more) for FF as it does Persona.

Unless one thinks getting a 39/40 instead of a 40/40 counts as a 'bad review'.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Draugoth Draugoth the metacritic link in the main thread post is opening opencritic page. Kindly fix it.

Dont worry, i will once reviews pop up.

This week’s Famitsu review scores are in.

• Final Fantasy XVI(PS5) – 10/10/9/10 [39/40]
    • Clear time is 30 to 40 hours for the main story, 70 hours for completionists

They gave Death Stranding perfect scores. Famitsu is unreliable.

Just got my CE delivered 👀

I want to win the lottery so i can buy CE for all Games :messenger_loudly_crying:

Fabieter

W3 is 90+ with alot of day one issues and its a full blown Action rpg.

FeralEcho

When Is the review embargo? How many hours left? Also...my copy was supposed to arrive today but got delayed till tomorrow,was hoping I'd get it earlier.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Oh please, are you guys gonna start complaining about getting 9.8 instead of 10s?

Not really bothered by scores as much as I am by reasoning, which is the only thing that matters.

If you tell me you didn’t like a comedy because it wasn’t funny, I understand it even if it’s funny to me. But if you say that you don’t like comedies then… ugh…

shubik

Fuck it. I just pre-ordered the digital version and started the preload. I can't see this getting bad reviews and I still had a 30-euro gift card from PSN. Tomorrow will be fun

Top Bottom