• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yoboman

I'm 20 hours into the full game now, it should be a 94-98 based on what I've played so far.
I'm so happy for you

Bitch Slap Slapping GIF by absurdnoise

XesqueVara

This is realistically around what it'll get I'm going for a 88.

But on a personal level it'll be an extremely good game that I'll definitely love and not care about a score.
Yeah, People should be happy because it looks like after a long time there will be a great Mainline Final Fantasy. ( Not counting FFXIV because that game was a shitshow on Launch.)

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
This is realistically around what it'll get I'm going for a 88.

But on a personal level it'll be an extremely good game that I'll definitely love and not care about a score.

It’s true, if the full game delivers on what they showed in the demo, then it doesn’t really matter what it scores. Still it would be a great story to see Final Fantasy reach that rarefied critical success, it’s such a legendary franchise.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
Mine from Amazon has said that for a month or so.

I cancelled it today and reordered with Walmart, claims it will come 22nd.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered it from Walmart too. I will see if it arrives Thursday. I left the Amazon order open just in case.
Amazon has been doing weird delays lately. Walmart is becoming more reliable with video games.

Last edited:
I'm expecting low 80s. Given that reviewers don't care about what FF is supposed to be, nor about the franchise having an identity, they will see the gameplay changes from XV as an improvement, and the story will certainly be a highlight.

But the fact that the game is more of a joyride(Focused more on adrenaline and less on exploration) will deduct points from it, and the Aeons fights will probably be underwhelming, alongside the seemingly shallow RPG mechanics inside it.
“Aeons fights”…say what now?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm expecting low 80s. Given that reviewers don't care about what FF is supposed to be, nor about the franchise having an identity, they will see the gameplay changes from XV as an improvement, and the story will certainly be a highlight.

But the fact that the game is more of a joyride(Focused more on adrenaline and less on exploration) will deduct points from it, and the Aeons fights will probably be underwhelming, alongside the seemingly shallow RPG mechanics inside it.
It’s the ultimate kaiju battle. Reviewers don’t know what’s good if they knock it for that.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

Like I said, opinions are like ass: Everyone has one. Including the bad opinions.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have no PS5 so I only watched streams but pretty much saw the whole game, and it's so different from anything Final Fantasy, in the best of ways. It looks sick, and that story is some Xenogears and Naruto shit.

This will score high and of course it looks 10 times better than FFXV
Naruto......

Holy shit...now you have my attention.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
How 13-2 got a perfect score at the time is beyond my comprehension lol.

Btw hoping for a meta score between 90-95 if anything because I’m pretty sure regardless of the reasons it’ll help boosting sales 🙏

slade

It will be 80-90 I think. Unless they've got some really great level design in there, the combat may become the thing that holds the game back.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Based off the demo it should be a 93+

Based off the discourse on FF being turn based, I'm going 84

Edit: Steveweiser 6.5

Last edited:

slade

Why? Almost everyone is praising the combat.

I love the combat myself but people won't be able to stand a 60 - 80 hour game whose main gameplay loop is ushering you from room to room to fight the same horde of villains. Even I got tired of DMC5 and that was only 12-15 hours.

Yoboman

I love the combat myself but people won't be able to stand a 60 - 80 hour game whose main gameplay loop is ushering you from room to room to fight the same horde of villains. Even I got tired of DMC5 and that was only 12-15 hours.
I put a solid 50-60 hours into GOW Ragnarok

In any case it's not room to room action, there is a large amount of side quest activities from what we know, open areas, mounts etc. And a big chunk of that time will be story features

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They already showed us we are fighting enemies on open fields and well as inside a dungeons.

fight the same horde of villains
We do that in every RPG ever no matter it’s turn based or action combat even on none RPG games…..this such weird complain.

Zheph

Weird take also unlike DMC, FF has a large variety of monsters to beat up usually and that 80h number is for the 110%... most people would be done around 40

slade

I put a solid 50-60 hours into GOW Ragnarok

In any case it's not room to room action, there is a large amount of side quest activities from what we know, open areas, mounts etc. And a big chunk of that time will be story features

I was going to buy the game anyway based on its first trailer and all I've seen of the game since then is the demo. If they've got a great open world in there, all the better.

Yoboman

I was going to buy the game anyway based on its first trailer and all I've seen of the game since then is the demo. If they've got a great open world in there, all the better.
It's not open world. From my understanding there are areas you select on the world map, some will be more open, some will be town and others might be more linear etc. Probably most comparable to Bioware games from yester-year in structure

slade

It's not open world. From my understanding there are areas you select on the world map, some will be more open, some will be town and others might be more linear etc. Probably most comparable to Bioware games from yester-year in structure

Then my comment earlier stands; they better have great level design. The combat by itself will only get them so far, probably the high 80's.

Top Bottom