• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally saw Donnie Darko..... (Spoilers I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattx5

Yeah, I know. Every fucking week, I swear :p

Anyways, onto my thoughts-

Fucked up. I was able to follow the film up until the end. I had no clue why the fuck anything was going on. After reading through a Donnie Darko FAQ, I was able to understand that everything happened for a reason, why Donnie had to shoot Frank, why he woke up at the golf course, etc.

But I didn't understand the timewarp at the end.

First, when everybody woke up, were they in a new present? Were they remembering everything that happened in the 'dream'? Also, according to the FAQ, Donnie made the plane engine fall so he could restore balance to the time continuum. WTF? How did he control all that shit? I really think they could have elaborated on that part a bit. I had no clue that he actually had the power to manipulate something like that.

To sum it up, this movie left me confused. I liked it, but I felt they could've elaborated on the ending a bit more.

BuddyC

Did you see the DVD?

Go into extras, and check out "The Philosophy of Time Travel"

Read it.

That should explain everything.

OR just read it here - but it doesn't inlcude the list of the manipulated living/dead.

mattx5

My video store only had the VHS, but I think I'll buy the DVD.

Edit-

Wow, that site cleared up a lot for me. The only thing I don't understand is why Donnie had to die at the end? Is it because when he woke up he thought it was all a dream and didn't think a jet engine would actually crash into his room? And how come Gretchin waved to Donnie's mom at the end?

It's the director's first movie. While an admirable attempt, the film sucks nonetheless.

He probably has the capacity to make something decent in the next 10 years -- especially if -- maybe he is already -- collaborating with the Cabin Fever guy.

All logic gaps are due to his inexperience.

BuddyC

mattx5 said:
My video store only had the VHS, but I think I'll buy the DVD.

Edit-

Wow, that site cleared up a lot for me. The only thing I don't understand is why Donnie had to die at the end? Is it because when he woke up he thought it was all a dream and didn't think a jet engine would actually crash into his room? And how come Gretchin waved to Donnie's mom at the end?

He actually didn't have to die, Kelly's come out and said that. Gretchin waved to comfort her, just to say "hey", and probably because she had a weird send of deja vu.

A director's cut is hitting theaters soon, adding 20 minutes and taking the movie in a "whole new direction."

If you can, snag the DVD and listen to the commentary, it'll clear up a little more.

darscot

It's a good film but hardly warrants the massive analysis it gets. People try and justify every detail with fact and it's a move about time travel? He had to die at the end because it made it a better film nothing more or less.

BuddyC

frank.jpg

"You guys wanna grab some beer?"

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
my interpretation was that the movie began with some weird time warp thing that ripped off the engine from the plane.. the plane that his mother and sister were on..

so, in order to save them.. and the girl he loved (who was killed mainly cause of him).. he had to sacrifice himself.

BuddyC

quadriplegicjon said:
my interpretation was that the movie began with some weird time warp thing that ripped off the engine from the plane.. the plane that his mother and sister were on..

so, in order to save them.. and the girl he loved (who was killed mainly cause of him).. he had to sacrifice himself.

Erm.

Read the Philosophy of Time Travel. He did what he did to save the entire universe, and the plane his sister/mother were on was in a tangent universe that needed to be destroyed or the whole of existence would be nullified.

Oh, and he didn't have to die.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
BuddyChrist83 said:
Erm.

Read the Philosophy of Time Travel. He did what he did to save the entire universe, and the plane his sister/mother were on was in a tangent universe that needed to be destroyed or the whole of existence would be nullified.

Oh, and he didn't have to die.

the entire universe? wha ? meh.. it i like it better the way i put it.

Bob White

Wow. I JUST watched this movie a few hours ago. Weird.

Anyway, I did see a few things in it that I didn't like but it was a cool movie.

The best thing I got from it was finding out about the band Tears For Fears. They fucking ROCK. I didn't even know they were in Vice City.

And that rabbit was a pussy. He got smoked.

Dead

well not really...yet
I still dont have the slightest idea about how anyone can find this movie confusing.....oh well

element

anyone seen the new director's cut in theatre's right now? I'm interested to hear what is different.

mattx5

DeadStar said:
I still dont have the slightest idea about how anyone can find this movie confusing.....oh well

That's funny, because a bunch of the words mentioned in the explanation, like Primary Universe, Tangent Universe, Fourth Dimension, Manipulated Dead, Manipulated Living, Life Receiver, etc were never muttered once in the movie.

Volt

I was all set up to like this movie, but in the end, I just didn't. Not really at least. It was directed adequately for a "first-timer" and the concept was pretty interesing of course. But it all ended up being kinda... not confusing just.. lacking any real direction. I never got the feeling that I was being presented with a full story (which was evidenced by the many commentaries that you needed to see the DVD extra's, or the DD website to FULLY understand the film). And it contained some elements and conversation that, to me, were very vague or even useless to the plot. I'm looking forward to a new movie by the same director, because I like his visual style and interest in weird scenarios. But I do hope it won't leave me with a hungry feeling like Donnie Darko did..

Sagitario

I just watched this movie... I liked... but... all I can think about it is... WTF?

Does somebody have a link to the FAQ that mattx5 read?

Edit: Nevermind. I found one. I must admit... the concept/story of the movie is really cool...

J2 Cool

bah, why do you even praise this crap. So this faq explains everything? Its a retarded bunch of rules and laws created in a convenient way so that the movie makes sense. But in terms of reality its shit. It DOESNT make sense. There's no point in even watching the film because as said, it leaves you empty. It MEANS nothing. And the way it was directed. It simply seemed weird for the sake of being weird. This isnt like Tim Burton's kinda weird. Most overrated movie ever

BuddyC

J2 Cool said:
bah, why do you even praise this crap. So this faq explains everything? Its a retarded bunch of rules and laws created in a convenient way so that the movie makes sense. But in terms of reality its shit. It DOESNT make sense. There's no point in even watching the film because as said, it leaves you empty. It MEANS nothing. And the way it was directed. It simply seemed weird for the sake of being weird. This isnt like Tim Burton's kinda weird. Most overrated movie ever

Man, I still can't believe Donnie Darko killed your dog while it was boning your girlfriend.

etiolate

Banned

I've looked through the DVD, listened to the directors commentary and still agree with this statement. He had to save the universe of course, but I believe that other things that happened would still happen with his existance. Certain clues like "they said he was doomed, they say that about Donnie" and the idea of happiness and making things "happy". You can't escape that Darko is a martyr figure through out the whole movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
J2 Cool said:
How does it not make sense, its so straightforward its not even funny

BuddyC

From Empire Online, regarding the re-release.

Whose idea was it to re-cut the film for a second release?
Well, I was in New York doing a Q&A at one of the midnight screenings last summer and Bob Berney from Newmarket was there. He came up to me afterwards and said 'Richard, we might want to think about re-releasing it.' I said 'well, if we're going to do it, why not let me do a new version of it and give people a real reason to come back to the theatre and see it again.'

They knew how much additional footage there was and they gave me the autonomy to finish the film how I'd always intended to finish it. This in no way negates the first theatrical cut though, I'm not dismissing it in any way; it's just a way for me to expand my vision for the film and give a more thorough version of it. It's letting me complete the sequences we didn't have the money to complete and put in additional plot music that we'd always wanted to put into the film but couldn't afford.

My original vision was always a kind of epic science fiction tale but it had to be condensed to come in under two hours. Ultimately I found it impossible to fully communicate the story in under two hours but now I don't have a restriction on running time, hopefully audiences will be able to re-experience the film in a completely new way. With the new visual effects and new sound design I think it's something the fans will want to see on the big screen.

Some of the new material was on the DVD release but you're adding footage that you originally held back. Did you always have a Director's Cut in mind?
When I made the DVD the first time around I knew that it was going to be a compromised DVD at best - in terms of the packaging. On the first Region 1 DVD I did finagle my way in with the programmers though and we worked with means well beyond our budget 'cause they were fans of the film. But in the back of my mind I did think that maybe one day I'd get to do a director's cut so I saved some stuff that would be a real surprise for people. In hindsight I'm glad that I did as this material is stuff that even people who've seen the DVD thirty times will still be surprised by.

Can you give us any specifics on the new material?
I kind of want to leave it as a surprise but I will say that this it will be worth the price of admission - it's not trying to cash-in on the fan-base, it's a wholly new theatrical experience. It will expand the meaning of the film and offer more clues and more solutions to the puzzle and create an additional layer of mystery for the audience. There really is a tremendous amount of new material - some of which will surprise even the most die-hard fans. One thing I am really excited about is the new sound. I was really unhappy with the mix that we had in the first cut. We never really had time to go in properly and design the sound. We can go back and really get it right this time. I'm very excited about the new sonic elements of the film.

How about the soundtrack, will we see some more classic eighties numbers?
There are gonna be some pop music surprises but I don't want to spoil anything. It's all good though - I'm not a fool, I haven't gone in there and botched the things that people love. Donnie does not shoot first - I'm not pulling a Greedo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom