• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally! The PREDATOR television show you've been dreaming of!

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Hot off the success of Hulu's PREY comes rumors of a new PREDATOR TV show on DISNEY+ . . .

JUST AS WE WERE ALL HOPING FOR, THERE'S A POSSIBLITY OF A NEW PREDATOR SERIES AIMED AT A TEENAGE DEMOGRAPHIC! ❤️

Giant Freakin Robot EXCLUSIVE: PREDATOR Series In Development

wzWEtZF.png

(Not really concept art...that we know of!)

SO! What team will you be joining?

- Team Cracked Tusk
- Team Broken Tusk
- Team Gary Busey (Wild card!)

Don't let us down, Disney!
We know you care about the fans!!

KKh3ISN.png

(Don't worry, everyone...there is very little chance this is true. Apparently Giant Freakin Robot puts out false rumors all the time.)

Last edited:

Alx

Maybe it's about teenage predators going to hunting school and learning to use their gear or mimick the calls of their preys.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
All I can imagine is a predator leaping down onto a group of teens these days and the threat assessment targeting computer freaking out and shutting down trying to assign a danger level to the kids and figure out which ones are pregnant because they are all doped out on hormones, anti-depressants, shrieking like Banshees, yet trying to get near it to snap a selfie while accusing it of microaggressions about the patriarchy and "Oh my GURD is that a knife???"

RAÏSanÏa

By gum! They can't do this! guldarnit! dagnabbit! Young people nowadays always ruining things, making things change, with their weird ways. They need good shows, like the ones I grew up on, then they can be just like me and the world just like it is because I'm the best and I know the best even what's best for them. I own this IP. I watch it so many times! They can't do this!

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Yes a big hench predator called Karen that identifys as an xenomorph as she/her has the right to doso. In the final episode its revield it has a 4yr old and has a gender reveal party and comes out as transgender and has a massive glow in the dark purple cock. Its great as all the cunty marvel characters are there clapping and all the soy boy characters from Star Wars aswell.
Disney cant wait for all us disgusting consumers to digest this shit via 8 25min episodes of pure trans trash.

jason10mm

Gold Member
By gum! They can't do this! guldarnit! dagnabbit! Young people nowadays always ruining things, making things change, with their weird ways. They need good shows, like the ones I grew up on, then they can be just like me and the world just like it is because I'm the best and I know the best even what's best for them. I own this IP. I watch it so many times! They can't do this!
Then why not give them NEW stories instead of recycling IPs that only have resonance with the older demo?

When you pay the $$$ to get an existing IP, the only reasons are A. because you want the audience of that IP, which means you need to give them what they want/expect, otherwise it is a "bait and switch", or B. you think the IP still has resonance with the new audience you want to draw in and you want to keep those elements while perhaps updating some parts to be more appealing to a younger crowd/different location.

So, do you think the Predator universe has some lasting cultural legacy so kids today can see value in it even if you shed all the elements the older audience liked (machismo, hyper-violence, alpha male dominance, brutal fatalities, i.e virtually NOTHING found in a teen oriented shw today)? Or is this being made hoping the older crowd tunes in just 'cause "Predator" even if you are not making it for them and the kids it IS being made for also watch?

I would postulate that the Predator IP ONLY has value when attached to a violent story about alpha "predator" humans being drawn into a hunt with the technologically and physically superior alien Predator and then have to rely on human qualities of ingenuity, sacrifice, resilience, and experience to beat the alien. This is the HUMAN DRAMA of the predator story, and all the violence and gory is really just set dressing. Predator films that reaize this are the great ones, predator films that forget this and instead dwell too much on spectacle or other aspects of the human condition are the weaker ones. Then there is The Predator which we will just forget about.

So for a TV show about Predator to be made for teens, what is the appeal. Fox obviously has the IP and can use it for free I think (I don't think they pay the McTiernan estate or Shane Black or anything) so if they do use it I suspect it is as a "bait and switch" with some Predator elements to try to birng in the established audience but it is REALLY a very different story for the kiddoes that isn't really what Predator fans are interested in. Combine that with what passes for YA style entertainment today and you can see why some of us are a bit skeptical of this concept (true or not).

RAÏSanÏa

Then why not give them NEW stories instead of recycling IPs that only have resonance with the older demo?

When you pay the $$$ to get an existing IP, the only reasons are A. because you want the audience of that IP, which means you need to give them what they want/expect, otherwise it is a "bait and switch", or B. you think the IP still has resonance with the new audience you want to draw in and you want to keep those elements while perhaps updating some parts to be more appealing to a younger crowd/different location.

So, do you think the Predator universe has some lasting cultural legacy so kids today can see value in it even if you shed all the elements the older audience liked (machismo, hyper-violence, alpha male dominance, brutal fatalities, i.e virtually NOTHING found in a teen oriented shw today)? Or is this being made hoping the older crowd tunes in just 'cause "Predator" even if you are not making it for them and the kids it IS being made for also watch?

I would postulate that the Predator IP ONLY has value when attached to a violent story about alpha "predator" humans being drawn into a hunt with the technologically and physically superior alien Predator and then have to rely on human qualities of ingenuity, sacrifice, resilience, and experience to beat the alien. This is the HUMAN DRAMA of the predator story, and all the violence and gory is really just set dressing. Predator films that reaize this are the great ones, predator films that forget this and instead dwell too much on spectacle or other aspects of the human condition are the weaker ones. Then there is The Predator which we will just forget about.

So for a TV show about Predator to be made for teens, what is the appeal. Fox obviously has the IP and can use it for free I think (I don't think they pay the McTiernan estate or Shane Black or anything) so if they do use it I suspect it is as a "bait and switch" with some Predator elements to try to birng in the established audience but it is REALLY a very different story for the kiddoes that isn't really what Predator fans are interested in. Combine that with what passes for YA style entertainment today and you can see why some of us are a bit skeptical of this concept (true or not).
It seems they got most of the old fans with Prey.

No need to go to that effort for a few dumb old fucks that don't get it.

The remaining ones that don't like it are few, but those few have complained a surprising amount even before the seen the film. It might have more to do with them thinking the movie should be their way. They might even think they're alphas. LOL Glad they're mocked and not listened to at all.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It seems they got most of the old fans with Prey.

No need to go to that effort for a few dumb old fucks that don't get it.

The remaining ones that don't like it are few, but those few have complained a surprising amount even before the seen the film. It might have more to do with them thinking the movie should be their way. They might even think they're alphas. LOL Glad they're mocked and not listened to at all.
Awesome, resorting to direct insults like the low information poster you are. You do realize that resorting to that kind of tactic COMPLETELY undermines your entire argument, slight as it is, don't you?

We don't really know how well Prey is doing. They SAY it is their best showing to date but based on what and in comparison to what? The streaming marketplace has very different rules for 'success'. Is it in new subscriptions gained? They got me for a month at $6.99, so thats about what they'd make on ticket sales for me and the wife I suppose. But did they get 10 MILLION new subscriptions to nake make the $7x10 mill= 70 million dollar budget (which is what this films feels like, not sure how much it actually cost). Do they measure success by subscription retention, and pull out subs that did watch Prey and compare them with ones that did not to see if there is a stronger hold? Hard to say, really.

They can probably tell, based on the info they ask when you sign up and the over all viewing pattern of each account (especially if you make it easy for them by having accounts for every family member) what "type" of viewer watched prey. I suspect it is an older demo, though perhaps a fair number of younger viewers as well. They can then compare this to the total "dumb old fuck audience", as you dub them, to see if this film appealed more to younger folk or just to the base. They can then use that info to direct any next film to better target whoever they are really aiming for (younger crowd, I suspect).

In my experience anything NEW on a service tends to get watched but very little has a holding effect. I don't keep Netflix around for a year between seasons of The Witcher, for example. I sub when something I want to watch is released and cancel when I find nothing of interest left. This is a LETHAL behavior pattern for streamers, you can see the attempts to mitigate it by A. making the service cheaper but with commercials, B. advertizing "coming next month!!" shows to try to forestall a cancellation, and C. rolling shows out weekly and overlapping them with another show that targets a similar demographic.

So is Prey, on Hulu, a successful film by my criteria? Probably, in that I think it was relatively low budget, didn't cost a lot in marketing (I don't think), probably got them some new subs for at least a month, and, most importantly, got me interested in what Trachtenburg might do next with the IP. But I suspect if they released this to theaters it would be a modest "break even"at best and I bet the audience would have been largely middle aged men familiar with the IP instead of a buttload of kids new to the concept. The Predator did 160 mill BO, which I doubt Prey could have hit today in theaters. Predators did even worse at 127 mill but was super cheap to make at 40 mill (which feels about what Prey cost) versus the 88 mill of Predators.

If Fox/Disney can clean up the theatrical to streamer path for a new film, get the same team onboard for a new Predator story, I think they have done a Predators palate cleanse and I'd bet a new Prey 2 or whatever would do pretty well at the BO if they stick to the low budget (because Predator works more as a horror film than as a big budget action one).

Even us "dumb old fucks" can manage that :p

RAÏSanÏa

Learn to debate like an adult, not throw insults like an infant.
Awesome, resorting to direct insults like the low information poster you are. You do realize that resorting to that kind of tactic COMPLETELY undermines your entire argument, slight as it is, don't you?

We don't really know how well Prey is doing. They SAY it is their best showing to date but based on what and in comparison to what? The streaming marketplace has very different rules for 'success'. Is it in new subscriptions gained? They got me for a month at $6.99, so thats about what they'd make on ticket sales for me and the wife I suppose. But did they get 10 MILLION new subscriptions to nake make the $7x10 mill= 70 million dollar budget (which is what this films feels like, not sure how much it actually cost). Do they measure success by subscription retention, and pull out subs that did watch Prey and compare them with ones that did not to see if there is a stronger hold? Hard to say, really.

They can probably tell, based on the info they ask when you sign up and the over all viewing pattern of each account (especially if you make it easy for them by having accounts for every family member) what "type" of viewer watched prey. I suspect it is an older demo, though perhaps a fair number of younger viewers as well. They can then compare this to the total "dumb old fuck audience", as you dub them, to see if this film appealed more to younger folk or just to the base. They can then use that info to direct any next film to better target whoever they are really aiming for (younger crowd, I suspect).

In my experience anything NEW on a service tends to get watched but very little has a holding effect. I don't keep Netflix around for a year between seasons of The Witcher, for example. I sub when something I want to watch is released and cancel when I find nothing of interest left. This is a LETHAL behavior pattern for streamers, you can see the attempts to mitigate it by A. making the service cheaper but with commercials, B. advertizing "coming next month!!" shows to try to forestall a cancellation, and C. rolling shows out weekly and overlapping them with another show that targets a similar demographic.

So is Prey, on Hulu, a successful film by my criteria? Probably, in that I think it was relatively low budget, didn't cost a lot in marketing (I don't think), probably got them some new subs for at least a month, and, most importantly, got me interested in what Trachtenburg might do next with the IP. But I suspect if they released this to theaters it would be a modest "break even"at best and I bet the audience would have been largely middle aged men familiar with the IP instead of a buttload of kids new to the concept. The Predator did 160 mill BO, which I doubt Prey could have hit today in theaters. Predators did even worse at 127 mill but was super cheap to make at 40 mill (which feels about what Prey cost) versus the 88 mill of Predators.

If Fox/Disney can clean up the theatrical to streamer path for a new film, get the same team onboard for a new Predator story, I think they have done a Predators palate cleanse and I'd bet a new Prey 2 or whatever would do pretty well at the BO if they stick to the low budget (because Predator works more as a horror film than as a big budget action one).

Even us "dumb old fucks" can manage that :p
Tldr and you ended with the jade's trick again. Is that old horse ever gonna get sold.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The best way to go is to create standalone films set in different times like feudal Japan or maybe WW2. Just make sure there's enough challenge for the Predator.
What would be the attraction to that though? Just the same basic story but with slightly different weapons/tactics and the inevitable ending? It would almost need a reality show aspect allowing audience participation in some fashion to detemrine who wins or dies, or maybe something like that CYOA show...Bandersnatch?

Otherwise a series would, I think, pick up after The Predator with a government response to the preds using captured tech and no one wants that unless it's also gonna tie into Aliens or something for variety.

Fuck it, just do the Terminator/Predator/Aliens/TMNT/Robocop crossover bananas extravaganza we all know we all want :p

Rookie cop Alex Murphy (female in this) has befriended rebellious teen John Conner and his large friend silent Bob. They live in New Chicago where Omni Corp and rivals Weyland-Yutani are experimenting with AI and mutagenic ooze. Spunky April O'Neil escapes with a sample of ooze and spills it on her pet turtles, then has to work with Murphy and Conners to hide the turtles while strange lights in the night sky lead to murders in the gang infested city. Murphy is badly hurt and gets Robocopped, Bob is revealed to be a T-800 from the future, and Aliens and predators rampage across the city while Skynet struggles to be born.

Just an 80's nostalgia fest all around. Who still got the Highlander IP, throw that in there too, why not?? :p

Rat Rage

The only thing I've been occasionally dreaming of is an alternate universe in which the Predator franchise has actually been managed well.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Some executives saw the glowing reviews and massive numbers of Prey, probably never watched it in entirety themselves, and took away the wrong impressions. I think we're seeing one of the reasons why the franchise was such a mess between Predator 2 and Prey.

The only predator show I want would be an anthology show like Twilight Zone/Outer Limits that always ends in the characters being killed by a predator.

Top Bottom