• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Normal is very easy in Awakening, but I guess it can work if it's your first FE. Don't grind on normal though unless you want to easily break the main story chapters completely.

If you mean "classic", here is my opinion as a first-timer.

You will have characters die. Sometimes it will be your fault because you are learning. Sometimes you will accidentally overlook something. Sometimes, the game just pulls a cheap move. Sometimes you get hit with a critical. If you are willing to just continue the game as though nothing has happened when a character or two dies, then you can play classic. If you are willing to reload a saved game every time someone dies and replay lengthy battles to min-max your characters, then you can play classic.

I started classic, but restarted in casual mode after a few days. I can still reload if I really want to try for a flawless victory, but I am usually willing to just allow the game to recover my characters when they die near the end of a battle. The tension of the game is still fully there, as I try my best to not allow anyone to fall in battle, but sometimes luck or newbie mistakes happen.

Cheers guys. Doesn't change the story too much if someone dies, right?

Also, is there a way of knowing that you're overlevelled past just finding it a bit too easy? Judging from my time with the Souls games, I'm abysmal at knowing what level I should be at for keeping the game balanced :p

RiggyRob

Cheers guys. Doesn't change the story too much if someone dies, right?

Also, is there a way of knowing that you're overlevelled past just finding it a bit too easy? Judging from my time with the Souls games, I'm abysmal at knowing what level I should be at for keeping the game balanced :p

If you're overlevelled, you'll get less experience for defeating enemies, but you should be able to tell anyway because your character levels will be way above enemy levels. Just be aware that there's a difficulty spike somewhere (I forget which chapter though).

If you're overlevelled, you'll get less experience for defeating enemies, but you should be able to tell anyway because your character levels will be way above enemy levels. Just be aware that there's a difficulty spike somewhere (I forget which chapter though).

Can't wait. Wanted to get it on eshop, but it's like £10 more expensive on there than it is to buy from some online retailers. Might be watiting a while, not in stock yet at either of the places I want it from :(

edit: Ordered it somewhere else, should be here by Thursday.

Worth making a LTTP progress thread?

-Horizon-

Hahaha Sumia tripping jokes, oh you guys xD

I already have my sights set on Virion, of the guys from the demo at least :D

Virion_(FE13_Artwork).png

Its the neck tie ruffle thing isn't it? lol

And go ahead and make a LTTP thread. I'd post there again.

Hahaha Sumia tripping jokes, oh you guys xD

Virion_(FE13_Artwork).png

Its the neck tie ruffle thing isn't it? lol

And go ahead and make a LTTP thread. I'd post there again.

I just like the kind of exaggerated, campy thirst. Plus, fucking archers, man :p

Will probably be the first game I ever play on a handheld when I have a console available

Not sure if the cutscenes will maintain the quality of those from the beginning, but I'd watch the shit out of an FE anime if it has a consistent style and characterisation to it

Absolutely loving it. The characters and tactical play are amazing. Shame Frederick levels up so slowly, he's boss. Lissa seems to level disproportionately as well, I assume that's to provide balance to her lack of attacking ability

2 and a half hours in, just got to the point where I can use shops, too much choice for my mind to process :p
Everyone's survived thus far, Stahl has come close to dying a few times though. Playing on Normal Classic.

Do I want to use this Bonus stuff, or will I end up too powerful if I do that?
How do I regain uses of weapons and staffs?

McNum

Frederick levels slowly because he's a Great Knight. That's a promoted class from Cavalier. so he gains EXP as if he was 20 levels higher than his level says.

Staff EXP has been boosted in Awakening, so yeah, Lissa will level fast if she heals someone every turn.

As for the bonus stuff, the Paralogues/Side Stories that pop up will make you more powerful, yes, but you get some nice goodies and extra characters from a lot of them. The really cheaty stuff is DLC, so if you don't get EXPonential Growth and The Golden Gaffe, you'll be okay. It's really easy to get too powerful on Normal, though.

As for remaining weapon uses... you CAN fix an item, but you should just buy new weapons. Much cheaper than a Hammerne Staff.

You can, however, use the Restock command in the inventory to combine half-used items into one. Like an Iron Sword with 12 uses left and one with 7 uses left will become one Iron Sword with 19 uses left. Basically, you reload your sword by cannibalizing another. the Restock All button is so useful.

Frederick levels slowly because he's a Great Knight. That's a promoted class from Cavalier. so he gains EXP as if he was 20 levels higher than his level says.

Staff EXP has been boosted in Awakening, so yeah, Lissa will level fast if she heals someone every turn.

As for the bonus stuff, the Paralogues/Side Stories that pop up will make you more powerful, yes, but you get some nice goodies and extra characters from a lot of them. The really cheaty stuff is DLC, so if you don't get EXPonential Growth and The Golden Gaffe, you'll be okay. It's really easy to get too powerful on Normal, though.

As for remaining weapon uses... you CAN fix an item, but you should just buy new weapons. Much cheaper than a Hammerne Staff.

You can, however, use the Restock command in the inventory to combine half-used items into one. Like an Iron Sword with 12 uses left and one with 7 uses left will become one Iron Sword with 19 uses left. Basically, you reload your sword by cannibalizing another. the Restock All button is so useful.

Cheers :)

First order of business I assume is to buy healing items for everyone

McNum

Cheers :)

First order of business I assume is to buy healing items for everyone
Always good to have a healing item on hand. For when Lissa can't get there due to range or "big guy with an axe". Better to have one than not. Remember that Lissa might not be able to take an axe to the face, but her Resistance grows really fast, so she can more often than not handle a magic attack better than nearly any other character in your army. So if Vaike is being pelted with spells, you can send Lissa in to heal him up and not worry about her safety.

Have you unlocked Pair Up yet? If you have the tutorials on, you'll unlock that somewhat early with a cutscene demonstrating why it's awesome. If the tutorial is off, you can do it from the very first chapter. I suggest using it when you do.

Oh, if you haven't found this one yet, when in game, press X. See the ground get highlighted? That's the enemy attack range. Don't stand there on the end of turn if you don't want to get attacked. Although, often, you DO want to get attacked, just on the unit who can take it.

Anteo

Absolutely loving it. The characters and tactical play are amazing. Shame Frederick levels up so slowly, he's boss. Lissa seems to level disproportionately as well, I assume that's to provide balance to her lack of attacking ability

2 and a half hours in, just got to the point where I can use shops, too much choice for my mind to process :p
Everyone's survived thus far, Stahl has come close to dying a few times though. Playing on Normal Classic.

Do I want to use this Bonus stuff, or will I end up too powerful if I do that?
How do I regain uses of weapons and staffs?

Keep spaming heal all the time if posible, she levels so fast that she can catch up with Fred before Chrom. When she gets to her second tier (either War Cleric or Sage) she learns how to attack as well.

Decided not to use any of the bonus stuff in this first playthrough, gonna stick with the stuff in the base game I think.

Fucking loving this atm, only playing on normal but dicing with death way too often. An enemy picked up a Killer Lance, but the enemy somehow got absorbed into another enemy and disappeared before I got to kill him :(

At a bit of an impasse, can't decide whether I should use as many units as possible and try to level them equally, or have 3 or 4 mains who are disproportionately levelled. I'm thinking Virion, Chrom, player, and Stahl. Maybe Sumia as well. Kinda want to keep Sully around just to see how the relationship between her and Virion develops when they're put together. I'm guessing Donny unlocks some boss skill, or levels up really quickly from his description, but I'll have to babysit him while his HP levels up, at the moment he's one bad move away from dying

Is a Reeker Box essentially the same as a Bonfire Ascetic in DS2, where it respawns the enemies in an area to let you fight them again?

Wish you could see your current weapon stats when you're in the Shop so you could easily tell which weapons would be an upgrade.

edit: FUCK

Was
Ricken
supposed to die? Couldn't get them far away enough from the enemies :(

If I forge a weapon, do I get the forged version if I buy a new one after I run out of uses? Have nowhere near enough money to forge weapons, only for the upgrades to go to waste when the weapon runs out of uses

Anteo

Decided not to use any of the bonus stuff in this first playthrough, gonna stick with the stuff in the base game I think.

Fucking loving this atm, only playing on normal but dicing with death way too often. An enemy picked up a Killer Lance, but the enemy somehow got absorbed into another enemy and disappeared before I got to kill him :(

At a bit of an impasse, can't decide whether I should use as many units as possible and try to level them equally, or have 3 or 4 mains who are disproportionately levelled. I'm thinking Virion, Chrom, player, and Stahl. Maybe Sumia as well. Kinda want to keep Sully around just to see how the relationship between her and Virion develops when they're put together. I'm guessing Donny unlocks some boss skill, or levels up really quickly from his description, but I'll have to babysit him while his HP levels up, at the moment he's one bad move away from dying

Is a Reeker Box essentially the same as a Bonfire Ascetic in DS2, where it respawns the enemies in an area to let you fight them again?

Wish you could see your current weapon stats when you're in the Shop so you could easily tell which weapons would be an upgrade.

About Donnel: Every unit in this game has a chance to get stats on level up. So its posible to get no stats from a level up, or get lots of it. Donnel gets +20% chance of upgrading every stat on each level up, so if trained, he is going to grow at a faster rate than any other character to the point where he can be 10 levels behind Chrom and be tanky as fuck and at the same time strike like a demon. So basically levels do not matter (as in the number that appears on your unit) you can have a pretty crappy Chrom at max level, or a super powerful Chrom half way to the max if you are lucky enough

About the boxes they just spawn a random encounter.

Edit:

edit: FUCK

Was
Ricken
supposed to die? Couldn't get them far away enough from the enemies :(

If I forge a weapon, do I get the forged version if I buy a new one after I run out of uses? Have nowhere near enough money to forge weapons, only for the upgrades to go to waste when the weapon runs out of uses

No, you can save that character. Did you get the Rescue Staff from Donnel stage?

You forge ONE weapon, if it runs out of uses its gone and you have to buy a new one and forge it.

About Donnel: Every unit in this game has a chance to get stats on level up. So its posible to get no stats from a level up, or get lots of it. Donnel gets +20% chance of upgrading every stat on each level up, so if trained, he is going to grow at a faster rate than any other character to the point where he can be 10 levels behind Chrom and be tanky as fuck and at the same time strike like a demon. So basically levels do not matter (as in the number that appears on your unit) you can have a pretty crappy Chrom at max level, or a super powerful Chrom half way to the max if you are lucky enough

About the boxes they just spawn a random encounter.

Edit:

No, you can save that character. Did you get the Rescue Staff from Donnel stage?

You forge ONE weapon, if it runs out of uses its gone and you have to buy a new one and forge it.

Cheers. Completely forgot about the Rescue Staff :(

Ah well, live with your mistakes and all that

Virion, Stahl and Crom are beasting for me

Muriel is dead :(

I dun goofed with her, put her in the danger zone to get 1 kill and stem the approach of the enemies, but she was still within range of 4 other enemies, who promptly attacked her consecutively.

Neglected the fact that her HP was not high enough to have her tank like that, so she got killed by the final enemy move of the turn.

Only 1 Mage left now :(

Changed Lissa to a Sage, or whatever class it is that can use Tomes and Staffs. Do Master Seals become more common as you go on?

Also, do you ever get a weapon that can attack at diagonals, or has a range of 3?

RiggyRob

Muriel is dead :(

I dun goofed with her, put her in the danger zone to get 1 kill and stem the approach of the enemies, but she was still within range of 4 other enemies, who promptly attacked her consecutively.

Neglected the fact that her HP was not high enough to have her tank like that, so she got killed by the final enemy move of the turn.

Only 1 Mage left now :(

Changed Lissa to a Sage, or whatever class it is that can use Tomes and Staffs. Do Master Seals become more common as you go on?

Also, do you ever get a weapon that can attack at diagonals, or has a range of 3?

You can buy Master Seals after a certain point in the story. No weapon can attack diagonally (unless you mean 1 space up/down and 1 space left/right away from you character), but you can get a few bows with a range of 3 and a tome with range 3-10.

Harpuia

I tell you what guys, playing through Paralogue 8 several times over, there's an annoying variation on things that may happen. My favorite being
The stupid knight girl getting trapped in a lose-in-three-turns state. First archer near her deals 8 dmg, she'll attack it, then the next archer, who has enough speed to two hit her closes in. Next turn, she won't heal since her AI decides that it's OK to die, not heal, and get killed the next turn.

I also re-specced Tharja into an Archer. IDK why either. She had enough skill, but I decided to get her Guaranteed Hits™ to make her even deadlier.

Damn, this game is hard, even on normal

Kellam down, lost 3 characters and I'm only 8 chapters in. Was my only heavy armour guy as well :(

Not that I used him much anyway. Wish I could see more detailed stats about my guys, like total kills, battle history, starting stats etc

Damn, this game is hard, even on normal

Kellam down, lost 3 characters and I'm only 8 chapters in. Was my only heavy armour guy as well :(

Not that I used him much anyway. Wish I could see more detailed stats about my guys, like total kills, battle history, starting stats etc

3 characters down isn't too bad; good luck!

Well, if it's anything like past FEs, you can check total kills when the game ends. For starting stats, you can look them up on sites ^^

upandaway

Sure, but it's also possible to grind. Experience is infinite so even if you hit a wall in Hard you can just grind.
That's... not what my experience was. Grinding wasn't available at all. I heard DLC would be a big part of it but I played on Hard (my first FE) without any DLC and it was hard without really any possibility of grinding to make it easier.

It was super super fun though (actually the lack of grinding helped make it better). Definitely better than it would have been on Normal.

RiggyRob

That's... not what my experience was. Grinding wasn't available at all. I heard DLC would be a big part of it but I played on Hard (my first FE) without any DLC and it was hard without really any possibility of grinding to make it easier.

It was super super fun though (actually the lack of grinding helped make it better). Definitely better than it would have been on Normal.

I think he's referring to the Reeking Box that you can buy, which is much more expensive in Hard than it is in Normal.

McNum

What happens if you get Chrom or the Avatar killed in the Premonition chapter, anyway? I mean, you pretty much have to try to make that happen.

demidar

You can summon cameo battles from SpotPass. They give some experience but almost no gold. Reeking Boxes on Hard cost a lot more (1500 to 500 on easy?). If you're really desperate, you can buy some DLC that gives high EXP/gold battles.

That said, if you enjoy a challenge try and not grind too much. Hacking together a plan and executing successfully is the best feeling.

NeonZ

You can summon cameo battles from SpotPass. They give some experience but almost no gold. Reeking Boxes on Hard cost a lot more (1500 to 500 on easy?). If you're really desperate, you can buy some DLC that gives high EXP/gold battles.

The lack of gold from Spotpass battles can be solved with Leif Swords and the Despoil skill (barbarian lvl 1), which have a chance of giving bullions for killing enemies.

demidar

The lack of gold from Spotpass battles can be solved with Leif Swords and the Despoil skill (barbarian lvl 1), which have a chance of giving bullions for killing enemies.

You gotta get a Secondary Seal first though. I don't think you're given a barbarian.

Levelled Donnel up twice in one fight, really tough to get enemies into situations where Donnel can kill them and not be open to attack in the Enemy Phase. Also he has a tendency to be counterattacked and left close to death, I'm basically pairing him up with Stahl and only switching him in for killing hits where possible

Restarted a couple of missions since I made really elementary oversights. Once I left Donnel in the middle of nowhere with no protection, as I didn't see him stood under a tree. Then in another mission I moved everyone to the edge of the map thinking I could flank the enemy, but didn't realise the edge of the map was a mountain-side, so got boxed in against it.

Do villages ever open up again in bonus challenges?

What actually happens if Chrom or the Avatar die?

Anteo

Levelled Donnel up twice in one fight, really tough to get enemies into situations where Donnel can kill them and not be open to attack in the Enemy Phase. Also he has a tendency to be counterattacked and left close to death, I'm basically pairing him up with Stahl and only switching him in for killing hits where possible

Restarted a couple of missions since I made really elementary oversights. Once I left Donnel in the middle of nowhere with no protection, as I didn't see him stood under a tree. Then in another mission I moved everyone to the edge of the map thinking I could flank the enemy, but didn't realise the edge of the map was a mountain-side, so got boxed in against it.

- No, villages never open up again
- Game over, go back to your last save

RiggyRob

What do you mean by 'open up again in bonus challenges'?

If Chrom or the Avatar die, it's game over.

What do you mean by 'open up again in bonus challenges'?

If Chrom or the Avatar die, it's game over.

You know how they give you a reward if you get to the village doors and interact with it, was wondering if the same happens when you replay a map with a village in it. Apprently not though :(

No cutscene for death then, no need to fail on purpose in that case :p

Picked up Arcwind earlier, can see that being very useful

RiggyRob

You know how they give you a reward if you get to the village doors and interact with it, was wondering if the same happens when you replay a map with a village in it. Apprently not though :(

No cutscene for death then, no need to fail on purpose in that case :p

Picked up Arcwind earlier, can see that being very useful

Nope, you don't get to interact with the village ever again.

NeonZ

It's not really what you're asking about, but if a merchant and a risen appear in the same spot of the map, the merchant appears in the challenge battle and will give you an item for free if you protect her successfully.

It's not really what you're asking about, but if a merchant and a risen appear in the same spot of the map, the merchant appears in the challenge battle and will give you an item for free if you protect her successfully.

Cheers

Got a side mission at the moment where 3 villagers are denied entry to a village, and get attacked from all sides. Turned the DS off when they started running away from me, and towards the enemy, and summarily got massacred.

I assume there's some reward for keeping one or all of them alive

Missed out on the Thief you can recruit in one of the big chapters :(

cj_iwakura

Amazing game so far. Not sure if it'll top Path of Radiance, but it's great. Lots of deaths, but nothing I've settled for. Chapter: 4 | Restarts: 7

NeonZ

Amazing game so far. Not sure if it'll top Path of Radiance, but it's great. Lots of deaths, but nothing I've settled for. Chapter: 4 | Restarts: 7

Use Pair Up most of the time. More often than not, having a few stronger units is more useful than a bigger and weaker party.

-Horizon-

Yeah I've done some DLC. It's just that as much as I'd like to go through the game again, I have way too many games in my backlog (3DS included) to play.
I tried to do a female avatar run second run through recently and I could only get to chapter 2 or 3 before I just stopped. I had to finish Persona. And when I finished that, I had no urge to immediately go back to Fire Emblem.
Now I'm just bouncing around through my unfinished games as well.

I think by the end of the game I had lost about 15 units. I was very sad when Sumia croaked.
Poor Sumia. At least she no longer has to worry about tripping.

Top Bottom