• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware update CONFIRMED in Coded Arms. >_<

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
the update is 1.50. which would mean it wouldn't affect American users

all japan games after the space invaders psp game have the update, i think

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I really think it's stupid to buy a PSP just to play the games of another system.

It's like buying a new TV because it has more input and output ports than your current TV.

New firmware upgrades will be hacked, just like 1.5 was. All you need to worry about is possible downtime for your emulation needs when new cracks are developed.

I don't really plan on getting Coded Arms anyways. I'm just worried about future games that I AM interested in having the same updates.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
1.52 update has been available in Japan for much longer than it was here in the US. If they didn't started implementing it in Japanese games yet, I doubt we'll see it anytime soon in games here. Personally I doubt US games will ever contain these updates, but I could be wrong.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
midnight club 3 and dead to rights is coming out in a few days (in the US). i dont think those games made the cut for firmware updates though so i doubt they'll have firmware updates

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
FallenOne666 said:
Is this game... even good?!
Going by other people impressions and magazine scores it is quite bad, just like I was expecting. Everybody trashed it since it was playable for first time and frankly, as cliche as it sounds I think that japanese developers need more time until they can come out with a competent FPS. It is a shame, because the concept art is very good and it seems like the music is great too.

DCharlie

Banned
i keep thinking of getting a second PSP, but... for what?

Monster Hunter? I mean, i love it and all that but i've played the shit out of it on the PS2. I don't really need to play it all over again (although playing face to face with Jonnyram et al would be fun)

It's gonna take WE or Burnout 3 i think (or something _really good_)

duckroll

DCharlie said:
i keep thinking of getting a second PSP, but... for what?

Monster Hunter? I mean, i love it and all that but i've played the shit out of it on the PS2. I don't really need to play it all over again (although playing face to face with Jonnyram et al would be fun)

It's gonna take WE or Burnout 3 i think (or something _really good_)

Why would you need to get a 2nd PSP? Currently all updates are for 1.50 and that's already been exploited. :D

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
Why would you need to get a 2nd PSP? Currently all updates are for 1.50 and that's already been exploited. :D
Even so, I don't want to upgrade, just in case there's something else we don't know about yet ;)

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Here's hoping Adventure Player's a 1.50, otherwise I think I'm good until Monster Hunter and/or Infected (edit: oops, except for GripShift/Frantix/probably Death Jr./oh no and then Burnout Legends)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just wanted to add my two cents on Coded Arms:

Got this game yesterday along with Panic Bomber (which is a fun puzzle game like the Neo-Geo and Virtual Boy versions before it, but what is with the GBA-quality music? I expect a lot more from PSP games in that area), and was surprised to find that the entire game runs in 100% English.

It takes a little bit of adjustment for the controls (I used the Turok style setting, with the face buttons for movement and the nub for look), but so far I'm finding Coded Arms to be a pretty fun game considering that Japan is not exactly known for making great FPS titles. The frame rate could be a little smoother, but it seems to stay solid and the visuals look very nice; it's not too terribly challenging as of yet but I'm still getting started. There's a nice variety of weapons and you can also pick up armor upgrades.

For a game that was supposed to suck (although the [worthless imo] Famitsu scores were 8, 8, 7, 7 which isn't bad for the genre), I'm pleasantly surprised.

Troidal

Multiplayer is fun on this thing. There are people on Xlink and playing some rounds there :-D

Coded Arms seems to have a better impression on lite consumers and lite FPS gamers. I think people who are hardcore on the genre area bit too harsh expecting something like a Halo or a Doom 3.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The Experiment said:
Coded Arms is a dud. This is a must avoid title anyway.

If you're expecting portable Halo, then yes, avoid, but this game is far from being a dud.

Even as we ponder the merits of the (most likely silly) Coded Arms, one question lurks in the back of (nearly) every PSP gamer's mind; when do we get Culdcept for the PSP?

123rl

It amazes me how a topic about the PSP manages to get in some Nintendo bashing. It's like some of you lot say these annoying fanboy comments regardless of what topic they're in or whether they're relevant. tbh you should be proud...it takes a really dedicated fanboy to work up that level of annoyance

CamHostage

It doesn't update the firmware without your knowing it. It's a separate application on the UMD menu, and if you choose a game that's not compatible, it says you can't play before you upgrade. Same process as Japanese games.

It can't invisibly update the BIOS - that would be a clusterfuck ready to fuck everything.

ChrisReid

OptimusPrime said:
I am wondering if sony can do this? Is this legal? And if they can.... don't they have to mention it in the book or on the backside of the box?
I mean you can't upgrade the fimware and not letting people know...

Which is why the operating manual/eula/whatever for every product covers all sorts of things like that in general. Of course it's legal. You think the cops are going to go arrest Bill Gates when some xbox game tells me I need to update before I can play? Too many stupid people wondering if they can sue over stupid stuff.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Sea-Dragon said:
Even as we ponder the merits of the (most likely silly) Coded Arms, one question lurks in the back of (nearly) every PSP gamer's mind; when do we get Culdcept for the PSP?

it's like you're inside my head.

Top Bottom