• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First episode of the fan-animated season 2 of Berserk 1997 released

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Should've used Hirasawa's music and got the English VA of Guts. I'm sure he would've done it.

Otherwise it's impressive they can emulate the animated character model for Guts so we'll from 97.

Pejo

They're planning on doing the entire Black Swordsman arc (no Golden Age, thank Christ).
Good. We have more than enough ways to experience Golden Age. I'll definitely give it a watch later.

With how influential the manga is, I'm shocked that there is no movement on making animation for the rest of the series. I'd have even begrudgingly accepted the awful 2D/3D stuff that they started if it meant having the whole story animated.

Jsisto

Looks promising, but as a fan project you never really know how long it’ll go on. Personally, I don’t think the 2016 anime was nearly as bad as people made it out to be, though it was nowhere close to being as good as the Golden Age anime. The highs were….good and the lows were pretty awful.…but if you can accept the poor animation, it was certainly better than nothing at all. And the soundtrack was incredible with some truly memorable tracks!

I hope this studio uses this as not only a way to continue a beloved 90s anime, but also use this a way to improve their craft and eventually they can springboard to make their own property.

With how influential the manga is, I'm shocked that there is no movement on making animation for the rest of the series. I'd have even begrudgingly accepted the awful 2D/3D stuff that they started if it meant having the whole story animated.
I think if a studio was finally brave enough to do all of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure and do it justice in animation, there is probably a studio out there begging to do all of Berserk justice. The problem is the wait and getting hands to shake for a deal to happen.

Netflix made a deal with Viz media for Berserk anime streaming rights, but since 2022 they have been radio silent.

The second problem is that the manga needs finishing. Netflix and Viz probably have also been saying ‘no’ constantly because they don’t want another Game of Thrones moment to happen.

Looks promising, but as a fan project you never really know how long it’ll go on. Personally, I don’t think the 2016 anime was nearly as bad as people made it out to be, though it was nowhere close to being as good as the Golden Age anime. The highs were….good and the lows were pretty awful.…but if you can accept the poor animation, it was certainly better than nothing at all. And the soundtrack was incredible with some truly memorable tracks!
My only issue with the 2016 anime was that the animators were complete rookies with 3D tech, as were many studios during the 2010s. 3D anime this decade have been looking way better, way cleaner, and way smoother. Nearly every studio been trying to 1up each other since Spiderverse 1 and it has been great.

The 3D Berserk team simply were too impatient and did the show too soon. It felt like a university fan project.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I associate the show with the voice actors from the og show so it's not quite hitting for me. It's not bad though. If they get some more funding I can see them improving as it goes along.

Drake

I'm confused as to what this actually is? Is it a full fan reboot of the 1997 anime? Like, it's built from the ground up, but trying to remain faithful to the 1997 version?

Ulysses 31

Fans are continuing the '97 series, that's basically it.
A version without the Skull Knight and Rickert somehow surviving the slaughter with his broken arm?

iu

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Let's hope not, the 1997 anime cut out some important characters and made up some events.
First episode is a filler partial manga inspiration and the rest is all canon. I'm really not disappointed they cut the rape monster squad but cutting out Donovan was key to Guts' development.

I'm confused as to what this actually is? Is it a full fan reboot of the 1997 anime? Like, it's built from the ground up, but trying to remain faithful to the 1997 version?
Think of it like X-men 97. A continuation.

Let's hope not, the 1997 anime cut out some important characters and made up some events.
A version without the Skull Knight and Rickert somehow surviving the slaughter with his broken arm?

iu
Based on where they started I think they plan on explaining this with flashback scenes, which would be the best method to go about doing this.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

iu

I'm sure they'll take creative liberties when needed. I don't know how much of Skull Knight even is in the Black Swordsman arc.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Disregarding the issues with animation, being a small team of fans - the voice acting and pacing absolutely ruin anything this could have had going.

This has always been a big problem with anime as a medium is how often they just STOP with literally zero story conclusion, sometimes there's an original manga to read, sometimes not, sometimes it's not in English.

To be a anime fan is to get used to the idea of not really getting endings to stories more often than not.

Jsisto

So just rewatched both seasons of the 2016/2017 Berserk. I stand by my belief that it was judged very unfairly. It wasn’t perfect, but it did what it set out to do. I have some criticisms. It rushed straight to the conviction arc, skipping several important plot points and merging some others to fit the narrative. Many of the fight scenes were also very choppy and hard to follow…the sound effects didn’t always match up to the action. But for me, Berserk is about the narrative, themes and character development, with the action being more or less exposition. In that respect, I think they did a pretty darn good job adapting the manga, and it only improved in season 2. Damn shame it ended there….i hope one day they’ll continue where they left off. I’d hate to get another Berserk anime adaptation that starts the story completely over.

I feel like this one just kinda fell victim to online dog piling, with everyone just WANTING to hate it because everyone else was. You could say that, ironically, the blind sheep gathered to erect a pillar of fire for this anime. 😂

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So just rewatched both seasons of the 2016/2017 Berserk. I stand by my belief that it was judged very unfairly. It wasn’t perfect, but it did what it set out to do. I have some criticisms. It rushed straight to the conviction arc, skipping several important plot points and merging some others to fit the narrative. Many of the fight scenes were also very choppy and hard to follow…the sound effects didn’t always match up to the action. But for me, Berserk is about the narrative, themes and character development, with the action being more or less exposition. In that respect, I think they did a pretty darn good job adapting the manga, and it only improved in season 2. Damn shame it ended there….i hope one day they’ll continue where they left off. I’d hate to get another Berserk anime adaptation that starts the story completely over.

I feel like this one just kinda fell victim to online dog piling, with everyone just WANTING to hate it because everyone else was. You could say that, ironically, the blind sheep gathered to erect a pillar of fire for this anime. 😂
Hai Yo and Ash Crow are good. That's about it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It’s an animated series with animation worse then that 4 people did in their basement 2 decades prior.

RaduN

Me and my SO watched the 1997/2016/2017 animes a couple of years ago, and while i had already read the manga myself, she was a complete newcomer to the series, abd just a casual anime viewer.
We were both totally hooked and while the 97 golden age arc is an uncontested masterpiece, the 2016/17 were damn good as well. Who the fuck cares that some animation was not perfect or some shit...it told the story it planned to tell very well, and we loved every second of it.

Too bad they cancelled pretty much anything Berserk related after that.

Jsisto

Me and my SO watched the 1997/2016/2017 animes a couple of years ago, and while i had already read the manga myself, she was a complete newcomer to the series, abd just a casual anime viewer.
We were both totally hooked and while the 97 golden age arc is an uncontested masterpiece, the 2016/17 were damn good as well. Who the fuck cares that some animation was not perfect or some shit...it told the story it planned to tell very well, and we loved every second of it.

Too bad they cancelled pretty much anything Berserk related after that.
Personally, I saw all the anime series before I read the manga. One thing I have to say is the 2016 anime absolutely nailed how unsettling and fanatical Mozgus was. I only appreciate it even more rereading the manga. Probably the highlight of that series.

Top Bottom