• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First openly gay professional Baseball player to make start in independent league

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrisus

AP via ESPN

Pitcher Sean Conroy is scheduled to take the mound in his first start for the Sonoma Stompers, a 22-man team that's part of the independent Pacific Association of Baseball Clubs.

The Stompers recruited the 23-year-old New York native out of college in May. General manager Theo Fightmaster says Conroy privately shared his sexual orientation with teammates and management before agreeing to come out publicly in time for the team's home-field gay pride night.

Major League Baseball historian John Thorn confirmed that Conroy is the first active professional to come out as gay.

Former pros Glenn Burke and Billy Bean came out after they retired.

When I was younger, I remember reading the autobiography of umpire Dave Pallone - Behind the Mask: My Double Life in Baseball. It's been probably 2 decades or so since I read it, but I would give it a recommendation anyway.

The reason I mention that is that, after having read that in the 1990s, it seemed likely there would be homosexual professional Baseball players in the not too distant future.
Obviously, I was quite mistaken at this.

Here's hoping for the best for Sean Conroy.

More information:

It's a little misleading- he's been playing all season- he has 4 Saves. He's been a relief pitcher, but they are trying him at Starter because of the Pride Night promotion.

Probability dictates there are many gay MLB players. Hopefully, this prompts them to leave the closet and makes homosexuality inconsequential to the sport.

Probability dictates there are many gay MLB players. Hopefully, this prompts them to leave the closet and makes homosexuality inconsequential to the sport.

It wont.

Mike Sam didn't do it for Football, Jason Collins didn't do it for the NBA.

It's not gonna happen any time soon.

As long as homphobic bigots like Torii Hunter are admired for their 'leadership qualities', I wouldn't get my hopes up....

For anyone interested in his looks just in case you wanted to go camp out at his training camp

szy8hM7.jpg

dream

It wont.

Mike Sam didn't do it for Football, Jason Collins didn't do it for the NBA.

It's not gonna happen any time soon.

Well, the former is a shitty player, and the latter was...shitty, but also on the verge of retirement. I think it would be interesting if a superstar like Kevin Love came out.

terrisus

Well, the former is a shitty player, and the latter was...shitty, but also on the verge of retirement. I think it would be interesting if a superstar like Kevin Love came out.

To be fair, the independent leagues are a long way from the majors, so it'll likely be completely off the map for many people.
But, it's still good.

Kusagari

Love is seen as too much of a joke.

I seriously think you'd need someone on the level of Durant, Rodgers, Brady, Curry to move a needle and get others to come out.

Love is seen as too much of a joke.

I seriously think you'd need someone on the level of Durant, Rodgers, Brady, Curry to move a needle and get others to come out.

And even then I doubt it makes an impact because those are the super-est of superstars, of course they can come out with impunity, they could do anything with impunity.

If role players coming out and having no or minimal backlash was a viable choice right now we'd be seeing it. But it's just not.

Mohonky

I remember when Ian Roberts came out as gay in the NRL. There was some interesting comments about that one.

Oh and Ian Thorpe. "Yes, I'm gay." Which was met with 'yeh, and? Thats a surprise to like, no one'

bigkrev

It's a little misleading- he's been playing all season- he has 4 Saves. He's been a relief pitcher, but they are trying him at Starter because of the Pride Night promotion.

Everybody knew that Glenn Burke was gay and he was very open about the prejudice he faced and it being the cause of his trade to the A's.

He is also the inventor of the most famous sports celebration in history, the high-five.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I read the thread title as "basketball," when I came in and it said something about a mound I thought there was a tasteless joke and had to do a double take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom