• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for "Civil War", new movie written and directed by Alex Garland (Ex Machina, 28 Days Later, Annihilation)

SJRB

Gold Member

a0X7hhz.jpg

I dunno about this one..

Hugare

Looked a little bit too cheesy, I dunno

Garland is a good director, but this trailer seemed too over the top

Wagner Moura is a brazilian gem tho, glad to see him in such a big project.

Salz01

I kind of want to see it. Modern Civil War. I laughed though when its CA and Texas had a defeat…. lol how many more Californians are coming to Texas?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Phew, difficult subject matter to handle well, and not entirely sold by the trailer. But it should be interesting if nothing else.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Trailer is bad but Garland is a very good director, and an even better writer. This will be good.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Looks great.

Very unrealistic concept, but it looks like a decent film and Alex Garland is pretty decent. Should be fun.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wooow, that looks pretty high budget for A24. I'm curious where they found common ground between Cali and Texas barring some sort of environmental disaster that takes out san Fran and L.A.

And let's be honest, a more realistic version of this would be urban vs rural, with 10 odd cities trying to survive in an ocean of red. Atlanta would have to drive to the sea to get a shipping corridor open to DC, NYC, and some Gulf cities, hoping for foreign food and gas supplies. Chicago would have to do the same across the great lakes, relying on Canadian support and whatever they cN pass on to the few other Midwest spots allied with them. West coast of course goes straight to China. Basically the boardgame Fortress America as a live action film :p

Wooow, that looks pretty high budget for A24. I'm curious where they found common ground between Cali and Texas barring some sort of environmental disaster that takes out san Fran and L.A.

And let's be honest, a more realistic version of this would be urban vs rural, with 10 odd cities trying to survive in an ocean of red. Atlanta would have to drive to the sea to get a shipping corridor open to DC, NYC, and some Gulf cities, hoping for foreign food and gas supplies. Chicago would have to do the same across the great lakes, relying on Canadian support and whatever they cN pass on to the few other Midwest spots allied with them. West coast of course goes straight to China. Basically the boardgame Fortress America as a live action film :p

I always wanted a movie like this but knowing Alex Garland, it will most likely be a shitty simplistic take on the subject. Ever since Men, my opinion has changed on him. He made some excellent stuff like Ex Machina, Annihilation, Dredd and Devs. But knowing him, he will most likely put his personal politics in it and it will suck

Billbofet

Looks okay, and I do like his movies, but this....I don't know.
This seems like it will take a very obvious political side which is now so typical honestly. I was not shocked by anything in the trailer, and I think that's what it's going for.
I'm sure it will review very, very well for obvious reasons, but I'll wait for word of mouth and see it if there's anything else interesting here.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Texafornia may be the weirdest idea I've ever seen.
If you are trying to create a "Faction" within the US (and not just have the South secede again) then Cali and Texas probably have about half of the resources, GDP, population, and military might to make is at least a little balanced. Does seem odd to not have New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada, hell maybe even northern Mexico, throw in just to consolidate the forces, but maybe that's part of the plot, traversing between the two areas. I'm sure there is some sort of disaster precipitating the split (probably a pseudo-Trump 47 figure). They say 19 states have left, including a "Florida Alliance", so maybe the Texas/California "Western Coalition" is just because those 2 have the most military bases.

Or Garland doesn't really understand military distribution, doesn't care, and just wants his film to be popular in both Texas AND California :p

Trunx81

"Experience it live in 2025"

Could have been a great TV show, got some "Tomorrow when the war began" and "Designated Survivor" vibes from the trailer.

Ammogeddon

I’m curious how US gaffers feel about this movie coming out on election year?

As an outsider the US looks very polarised and I know there are some that are VERY passionate on either side.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Looks interesting. Ironically as everything is so divided in real life it will be hard not to get dismissed as divisive propaganda for one of the 'sides'.

A modern American Civil War is something I bet a lot of people have pondered the logistics of in their daydreams. I'm curious to see how it plays out on the screen.

And I've liked every Alex Garland movie I've seen. (Haven't seen "Men")

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Tbf I can see it happen if you subject the world to more of the orange monkey but with y'all having 1776 guns per person it'd be an effin bloodbath and once you've all done killing yourselves the Brits will sweep in and reclaim what was rightfully ours

Puscifer

California and Texas Unified?

Thats gonna make it difficult to Suspend Disbelief.
Only reason I can see that happening is economically speaking we'd be the two to really combine and get shit done. Despite what people think Californians own guns, and I mean a lot of us do, I'm shocked when I find out how many people I knew reeeing about school shootings have modified ar's and the like that are state legal but don't talk about it. I'm the Black queer dude who loves guns and rides around with a don't tread on me magnet on my Ford that gets people to let their guard down and it's always funny to me what people reveal when they feel safe.

Last edited:

dave_d

A modern American Civil War is something I bet a lot of people have pondered the logistics of in their daydreams. I'm curious to see how it plays out on the screen.
For some reason, a lot of people think if there were a civil war it would be one side with rifles and the other with tanks, jet fighters and nukes. I'm thinking if the US had a real civil war it'd be like every other one where both sides have tanks and jet fighters and it'd be an utter shit show and be VERY ugly.

Last edited:

CGNoire

There's more of California that would join up with Texas than you'd believe (and vice versa). Every state in the country is more purple than the winner-takes-all system would indicate.
I get that but its not like anyone of these people are networking in a manner or at scale that would allow them to organize into a single entity like that.

violence

I'll try to suspend my disbelief. I mean they think the union is optional? We know what happens when states try to secede.

Edit: Just watched the trailer. Nevermind.

Last edited:
I can see why this would piss some people off. But, the way I see it and; That person up there, who said this isn't a realistic Scenario, the Founders of Our Country certainly thought so, with Foresight! I'm going to watch it, simply because it reminds me of the chaotic action movies from the 90s/early 2000s

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Garland and Dunst have my trust but that trailer looked pretty shit.

For some reason, a lot of people think if there were a civil war it would be one side with rifles and the other with tanks, jet fighters and nukes. I'm thinking if the US had a real civil war it'd be like every other one where both sides have tanks and jet fighters and it'd be an utter shit show and be VERY ugly.
More importantly, don't underestimate how dirty things would get with RC car/drone bombs and such. I also don't see how it would ever be a two-side thing. It'd break into factions so fuckin fast. You'd never know how someone would react to the kind of person you are before you even say a word. I'd definitely be GTFO the whole country fast as possible.

SJRB

Gold Member
Terrible sniper position.

The only reason to take a sniper position so obvious like that is if you WANTED to be seen as a show of force against unarmed masses. Police, prison guards etc.

In an actual war those are dead men.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about that sniper, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

Garland has yet to let me down so going to watch for sure

Don't think it's unrealistic either in the self annihilation sense although sides are surprising. But i like it, it adds some parody flavor and sides do indeed flip all the time. Been in both Texas and California long enough to know, both states are way more alike than they think

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Phew, difficult subject matter to handle well, and not entirely sold by the trailer. But it should be interesting if nothing else.
At this point and considering what's been in the cinema lately, I'll take it!

It's been pure dross in my local one. I'm actually surprised they're showing Godzilla tomorrow night.

FunkMiller

Come on. They had to put Texas and California together and make it about east vs west, because it’s not like there’s any real life historical precedent in which to base a movie about a modern American civil war.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Top Bottom