• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Had a good day at the gym today. I felt like I pushed myself pretty damn hard. I increased most of my lifts by 5-10 lbs and was able to still squeeze out 8 reps on the first set and 6 or 7 reps for the next few. But I didnt break a sweat. I felt exhausted after and my heart was going but my shirt wasnt drenched in sweat like usual. I was there about 1hr 20min. Only resting like 60 seconds between sets and like 2 min in between different workouts. Hmmm. Is it just because I'm getting in better shape or something? Weird.

Me, delirious after taking pre workout: I can't wait until I squat 300lbs.
Me, after the workout: you literally just cracked 200lbs smh set reasonable goals.

NEO0MJ

My body is so used to caffeine that I don't have problems sleeping even though I take it 5-6 hours before bedtime. My friend however can't handle it and only takes it during the weekend.

I don't feel much other than just a bit more focus with caffeine no matter how much I take. The wife can down a bottle of pills or eat an entire tub of pre and she can go right to sleep. She also doesn't have much of it.

I'm good to sleep after about 3 hours, though.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Having to find a new gym is seriously the worst thing. I'd been going to just a regular ol' commercial chain gym for the past five odd years, but the particular branch I went to was special because there were a load of strong powerlifting types, so we all dragged each other up. Never going to be able to replicate that anywhere else :(

ACE 1991

Man, growing arms is frustrating. I've had great progress in lats and shoulders, but I need something even remotely gun-like to go along with it! Did anyone here struggle growing their arms and eventually find some sort of training that helped? My direct arm right now per week (spread out) is:

I do these exercises twice a week:
4x8-12 ez bar curls
4x8-12 hammer curls

I do these once a week on leg day for extra volume:
4x8-12 dumbbell curls

This is in addition to the normal compound lifts that hit biceps.

KillerBEA

Man, growing arms is frustrating. I've had great progress in lats and shoulders, but I need something even remotely gun-like to go along with it! Did anyone here struggle growing their arms and eventually find some sort of training that helped? My direct arm right now per week (spread out) is:

I do these exercises twice a week:
4x8-12 ez bar curls
4x8-12 hammer curls

I do these once a week on leg day for extra volume:
4x8-12 dumbbell curls

This is in addition to the normal compound lifts that hit biceps.
Remember to hit Triceps directly too, it's 3/5th of that area.

French Press with the EZ Curl Bar and Close Grip Bench Press are my two favorite tricep builders.

accessory work today and hold off on doing deads until friday or saturday. there's some benches to be had as well. the convenience of a gym like 3 minutes away from the house. (y)

Bleh. I have nearly two hours on the turbo trainer tonight and my legs / ass are completely DOMS filled from yesterday. It's really not an easy one either. :(

velociraptor

My body is so used to caffeine that I don't have problems sleeping even though I take it 5-6 hours before bedtime. My friend however can't handle it and only takes it during the weekend.

I drink it right up until bed, but annoyingly it means I also get next to no effect from it.

I don't feel much other than just a bit more focus with caffeine no matter how much I take. The wife can down a bottle of pills or eat an entire tub of pre and she can go right to sleep. She also doesn't have much of it.

I'm good to sleep after about 3 hours, though.

I've never really drank coffee throughout my life and I've been plagued by sleeping issues my entire life. So I'm super sensitive to any of this stuff if I take it later in the day. Even a hint of blue light can disrupt my ability to sleep.

ACE 1991

Remember to hit Triceps directly too, it's 3/5th of that area.

French Press with the EZ Curl Bar and Close Grip Bench Press are my two favorite tricep builders.

Oops, totally forgot to add the tricep work I do.

I do a fair amount of pushdowns and overhead tricep extensions. Thanks for the tips though, I should try and work in CGBP sometime.

KillerBEA

Oops, totally forgot to add the tricep work I do.

I do a fair amount of pushdowns and overhead tricep extensions. Thanks for the tips though, I should try and work in CGBP sometime.

Also try switching out your hammer curls for some other curl or add in another one in and don't ditch them if you still have enough in the tank to do more. Hammer Curls focus on the Brachialis and the Forearm and not so much the part of the bicep most people train for. Nothing wrong with Hammer Curls though. A standard barbell curl or dumbbell curl would probably serve you better.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/complete-guide-to-biceps-training

I got my arms with hammer grip chin ups and dips as accessory exercises on OHP day. But, they're 1" or 1.5" short of what the "ideal" for my height is, so maybe I should be doing more.

KillerBEA

No Deadlifting for me today, when I go in for close grip bench tomorrow I am gonna see if I can manage to Deadlift without pain, even if I have to switch up my stance for a while. If i Can't Iwill probably just focus on Upperbody lifts like OHP, and Bench next week and do some leg extensions and leg curls for my legs.

Interestingly enough, ever since my injury I can hold a proper plank position again. Something I had a hard time with before that.

mdsfx

Kill me now. Was almost recovered from the flu, now I have a sinus infection. Ugh.

Am I the only one that goes to the gym anyway, even if I'm not working out? When I'm sick enough I will still pack my bag as usual, get up early, and go to the gym just to stretch and shower out of fear of breaking the habit lol. It's so stupid, but it really keeps the habit automated for me.

ACE 1991

Also try switching out your hammer curls for some other curl or add in another one in and don't ditch them if you still have enough in the tank to do more. Hammer Curls focus on the Brachialis and the Forearm and not so much the part of the bicep most people train for. Nothing wrong with Hammer Curls though. A standard barbell curl or dumbbell curl would probably serve you better.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/complete-guide-to-biceps-training

Great article and advice, thank you!

Good workout tonight. Not pushing (or pulling) anywhere near what I was, but today was the first day in 7 months that I haven't broken in some way or another.

I still have a few niggles which need work, but... fingers crossed?

Ive skipped leg day twice now. Ive just been doing 3 or 4 sets of squats on my push or pull days and then just taking the 3rd day off. 😮 I should probably stop doing that.

lol, I've had a bit of alcohol and I was looking for something to eat (usual story if you drink)... except I'm cutting so I'm trying to be good...

...popcorn? No. Crisps (chips), no. Plum? No. Apple... hmm... no.

Eventual "treat"? Picked red cabbage. lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
lol, I've had a bit of alcohol and I was looking for something to eat (usual story if you drink)... except I'm cutting so I'm trying to be good...

...popcorn? No. Crisps (chips), no. Plum? No. Apple... hmm... no.

Eventual "treat"? Picked red cabbage. lol
You keep snacking like that and in 3500 days you will have put on 1lb of fat.

Alastor3

Since im super super skinny (105lbs) and im a guy, what type of food should I get the most to gain weight? More fatty stuff? or protein? Im so lost. I might start training at home until january to go back to the gym.

I can finally squeeze out 10 unassisted chin ups on my first set. Time to start adding some weight. Ive been doing weighted dips for a bit but I was weak on the chin ups. At 200+lbs I dont think thats too shabby. And if I cant do the chin up proper for the whole set I'll swing myself up there and just do the negative. Thats been helping big time. Working out my back is slowly starting to take over my chest as favorite muscle group to work out.

Since im super super skinny (105lbs) and im a guy, what type of food should I get the most to gain weight? More fatty stuff? or protein? Im so lost. I might start training at home until january to go back to the gym.
I put on a ton of weight over the last few months drinking tons of whole milk, drinking down lots of egg whites, eating lots of chicken, oatmeal, yams and different kinds of beans. I took some protein shakes 2 or 3 times a day between meals. I went from 180lbs just before September and I'm just shy of 210lbs right now. Got some extra fat in the tummy right now but I'm a hell of a lot more built all over. I have a big frame though and I think I am genetically able to put weight on a bit easier than some.

KillerBEA

Well did some Deadlifting. Even though i probably shouldnt have. Dide fine for a few sets and then back started to cry so i backed off. :(

Gonna take the next week off squatting and deadlifting and see where i am at after that.

mdsfx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU

iR4EQoG.png

Well did some Deadlifting. Even though i probably shouldnt have. Dide fine for a few sets and then back started to cry so i backed off. :(

Don't fuck with your back dude. Seriously.

Light weights / some yoga / some mobility work... to encourage bloodflow and recovery, but it's genuinely stupid to try lifting properly when your back is in question.

BumRush

Just more calories. The macro split doesn't matter as much as you just consuming more!!

KillerBEA

Don't fuck with your back dude. Seriously.

Light weights / some yoga / some mobility work... to encourage bloodflow and recovery, but it's genuinely stupid to try lifting properly when your back is in question.

Yeah I am backing off it. I was seeing what I could still do and not do. Me being as stubborn as I am had to know for sure... Since I cant Squat or Deadlift with any sort of reall weight I am just gonna focus on upperbody lifts and work on bloodflow work/mobility for that hurt area.

At 105lbs I'd say any food that is sold in stores will do, and lots of it.

If you go to a friend's house and he offers you some food, clear his pantry out.

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid"

ACE 1991

If you struggle with appetite, I recommend nutrient and calorie rich shakes that you can make at home. Something like: 2 cups whole milk, 2 servings peanut butter, serving of oatmeal and a scoop of whey if you're working out, then blend it. About 900 calories and pretty delicious.

SeanR1221

Phew, went back and checked and I haven't posted in almost 3 months.

How's everyone doing?

I've definitely been spinning my wheels a bit. A combination of being demotivated by injuries and a new job has just made me feel 'meh' overall.

But I'm ready to start putting more effort in and I think posting here keeps some accountability. I'm going to focus on maintenance for the next month and then start weight loss again leading into the spring and then maintenance for the summer.

I still can't conventional deadlift at all, but I can do the hex bar just fine. Squats feel 'ok' and the bench isn't great but I have a nice hypertrophy program Im going to follow.

KmA

Finals are almost over and I'm ready to get like actually #buff. I haven't gained any weight since last month which is annoying me but I have no money and my supplements are running low so I'm just gonna try to eat everything in my house for the next two months as I bulk.

I can finally do a 315 x 5 squat and deadlift! I think my deadlift could go higher but I usually do them after I do my squats. By the end of next year I hope I can hit 405. My upper body lifts are kind of awful. Like all these high school kids are benching ridiculous number and it's like calm down... you're 5. I don't know if I'll ever use a barbell for benching again since it hurts my shoulder but right now I go up to 75 pounds for dumbells but it's kind of a struggle. My back is pretty strong I can go up to 195 for bent over rows for a few sets. And all this lifting has made my gymnastics so much easier! Although I am sore literally all the time. I was stretching so much over the summer I need to get my flexiblity back up.

I'm 22 right now so I'm hoping by the time I'm 24 I'll be like actually strong and actually buff. I'm slightly excited

Need some quick advice, GAF.

I'm looking into incorporating a protein supplement but need it to be dairy free and would prefer it to be gluten free. That leaves me with soy- and egg-based supplements. Right now I'm leaning towards soy, for no reason in particular.

To that end, how is something like this? It's just the basic GNC-brand soy protein powder. Seemed no-frills and straightforward enough to me.

Is something like that even worth it? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

mdsfx

Welp, I'm now chain gym regular after my employer closed theirs. Honestly, the LA Fitness I went to this morning was pretty decent.

Today was only cardio, so we'll see how lifting goes tomorrow. Not sure how many squat racks there are (3 I think). Hopefully there's no douchebaggery.

Zero²

Help me fit-GAF! I need tips to survive the holidays period without working out, I fear I'm gonna lose a lot of progress :(
I have a pair of 10kg dumbells at my disposition. It's ok to hope that I can maintain my muscles with only home lifting?

I hate lifting without headphones, have to listen to whatever garbage is on the gym radio.

I've been 10 minutes into a drive to the gym and turned around to get them.
When I'm pushing myself EXTREMELY hard I don't like wearing headphones.

The gym I got to now only plays instrumentals, so it's nice... low key I get hyped and freestyle.

Speaking of headphones; I'm returning the 'Bose Soundsport Pulse' today... they don't seem worthy of the $199 price tag and the heartbeat functionality is pointless. I'll may buy the one without the heart rate monitor in the future. I'll just sticking with my 'Bose Soundlink OE' Bluetooth headphones for now.

lenovox1

Need some quick advice, GAF.

I'm looking into incorporating a protein supplement but need it to be dairy free and would prefer it to be gluten free. That leaves me with soy- and egg-based supplements. Right now I'm leaning towards soy, for no reason in particular.

To that end, how is something like this? It's just the basic GNC-brand soy protein powder. Seemed no-frills and straightforward enough to me.

Is something like that even worth it? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

You've always got to be aware of Bodybuilding.com articles because they're the Wikihow of weightlifting, but this article on the matter seems well sourced.

The conclusion the contributor comes to is, "Yes, you can gain lean mass with soy protein supplements."

I've read that hemp was a more complete protein. I'm not sure what that means for muscle growth, but I think casual bodybuilders tend to put too much emphasis on the type of protein they consume anyway.

All that really seems to matter is the math: how many calories you eat and use and what might be the appropriate balance of protein/carb/fat for your goals. It seems like you can let your digestive and immune system handle most of the complicated work.

Zero²;226462741 said:
Help me fit-GAF! I need tips to survive the holidays period without working out, I fear I'm gonna lose a lot of progress :(
I have a pair of 10kg dumbells at my disposition. It's ok to hope that I can maintain my muscles with only home lifting?

Your body is smarter than that. Your immune system isn't going to call reduce your soft tissue unless absolutely necessary. Your nervous system isn't suddenly going to make your brain think you need to drop the weight by 50 lbs. simply because you took a few weeks off. The fact that you'll be eating so much more may only help your recovery. (Or you'll get fat. Everyone's body is different.)

If you want to keep up with the routine of it all, a pair of 10kg dumbbells will be perfectly fine. I always do one of the protocols on freeletics.com when I don't feel like going to the gym myself

Top Bottom