• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida governor Rick Scott: We won't comply with health care law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric C

Bobby Jindal from Louisiana said something similar.

What would happen if they actually followed through and refused to implement it? How would the federal government be able to make them comply?
I'm not sure.

The Supreme Court took away the option to withhold ALL Medicaid funding from states that wont participate in expanding Medicaid coverage.

So right now the the states will suffer no penalty other than screwing over poor people that live in those states that will still be required to purchase insurance from somewhere.

So I imagine a lot of Republican governors will try and do just that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...rprise-medicaid-ruling-could-reduce-coverage/

Buried in the Supreme Court’s 193-page decision on the health reform law was one big surprise: States can opt out of the law’s sweeping expansion of Medicaid, significantly reducing the number of Americans who gain insurance.

That ruling, experts say, could leave some of the poorest Americans in a “no-man’s land:” Not covered by the federal entitlement program but not eligible for the subsidized health insurance.

What the Supreme Court said today was: States do not have to participate in that part of the law. If they want to leave their Medicaid program as is, there will not be a penalty. What was once a guaranteed insurance expansion is now left to the discretion of the states.

“Prior to the court’s decision today, failure to implement this expansion meant you lost all your Medicaid funding,” says Matt Salo, executive director of the National Association of Medicaid Directors. “Now, you have a political and financial decision to make: Do you do this?”

The Affordable Care Act provides financial incentives to entice states into the expansion. The federal government will, for the first three years, cover the entire cost of all these new patients. Usually states have to chip in for some of the cost.

The federal law was written with the assumption that all people living below the poverty line would become eligible for Medicaid. Federal subsidies, therefore, would be unavailable to anyone making less than that — even if the state opts out of the Medicaid expansion.

That could mean that some of the poorest Americans would be the ones who do not gain coverage through the Affordable Care Act. ”It creates a no-man’s land,” Salo said.

It’s hard to know how many people would fall into that area, largely because — as Salo puts it — “this was a total surprise. We weren’t studying it because it didn’t matter prior to today.” Going forward, however, this part of the Supreme Court decision could have a big impact on the Affordable Care Act’s future.

Matt

You know for all the shit Florida gets on GAF - I pay no state income taxes, my property taxes are low, town services run well, roads are good and landscaped. I am not saying I agree with Scott but the FL government does something right.

Sounds like your municipality does something right. Not nearly all of Florida is like that, and it has problems state wide that go far deeper than landscaping.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Well, Republicans are opposed to the idea of Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, so it stands to reason that they'd be against helping people in their home states under the ACA. Helping people just isn't their thing.

pigeon

Banned
I'm not sure.

The Supreme Court took away the option to withhold ALL Medicaid funding from states that wont participate in expanding Medicaid coverage.

So right now the the states will suffer no penalty other than screwing over poor people that live in those states that will still be required to purchase insurance from somewhere.

So I imagine a lot of Republican governors will try and do just that.

The Medicaid expansion is free to the states for three years. The red governors may talk tough, but blocking the expansion is literally keeping enormous numbers of your constituents from getting health care at no cost to the state. Unlike Congresspeople, governors really do lose elections every so often. I doubt that any significant number of states will fail to take the funds, since doing so will hand an enormous issue to their opponents. More likely, as the article hints, is that Scott will privately ask the legislature to pass a bill taking the funds, then say that he disagrees but will submit to the will of the people and sign it.

The Medicaid expansion is free to the states for three years. The red governors may talk tough, but blocking the expansion is literally keeping enormous numbers of your constituents from getting health care at no cost to the state. Unlike Congresspeople, governors really do lose elections every so often. I doubt that any significant number of states will fail to take the funds, since doing so will hand an enormous issue to their opponents. More likely, as the article hints, is that Scott will privately ask the legislature to pass a bill taking the funds, then say that he disagrees but will submit to the will of the people and sign it.

Correct. It's just a bunch of bullshit. Similar to that Egyptian presidents comments about the WTC bomber. Just trying to get votes.

Averon

This has been the GOP modus operandi since Obama took office. If screwing over their constituents and the country as a whole means hurting Obama, they'll gladly do it without a second thought. Almost everything the GOP has been about for the last couple years is hurting Democrats and Obama without offering any solutions of their own. They even reject their own ideas if Democrats and Obama supports it (see: individual mandate, immigration). The GOP has become a joke.

Chumly

The Cuban politicians there have run that place to the ground , South Florida is the hot bed of corruption when it comes to Florida.
Ironic that south Florida is like the center of Medicare fraud and they all support Rick Scott.......

JGS

Banned
GAF has actually convinced me not to move to FL. It has been crossed off my list for the past two weeks now.
I love Florida. The more times I visit, the more positive I am that I would move there in a second if my wife let me.

Florida, like all states, will eventually comply with the law the exact day they realize what they're missing out on. There's no reason or them to commit now while a new president is being decided and their poll numbers would get hurt.

I have this idea that Florida is a haven for conservatives, but I'm sure there must be some reasonable people there. My heart goes out to them.

Ironic that south Florida is like the center of Medicare fraud and they all support Rick Scott.......

Really?

323px-Florida_2010_Gubernatorial_Election.svg.png

Not happy to be moving back either, but that's where my family lives and they're my pillar while I'm in school. I want to move back to California or North Carolina when I finish school.

It's depressing driving down there for visits as I watch the scenery devolve from gorgeous forests, hills and mountains to flat dull deep green marshland and swamps.

What florida did you go to? It's flat as crap.

There are some amazing places down here though. The state is really not that bad as people make it out to be at least when I've gone down there.

I have this idea that Florida is a haven for conservatives, but I'm sure there must be some reasonable people there. My heart goes out to them.

2008 they voted for Obama. There's plenty

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, this state has been having a collective bout of buyers remorse the instant this jackass got into office.

Dram

I don't understand why independents voted for someone who has a record of ripping off Medicare. Especially, seniors.

bananas

Banned
If I may add as a Floridian, usually midterm elections are primary driven by old, white voters.

Florida has a shit-ton of old, white voters.

Don't blame me, I voted for Alex Sink.

gcubed

You shouldn't not move because of politics... more because you're surrounded by old fucks, battered by hurricanes and its oppressively hot and humid for 6 months a year

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You shouldn't not move because of politics... more because you're surrounded by old fucks, battered by hurricanes and its oppressively hot and humid for 6 months a year

Makes me wonder why would old people retire there. Sure, AC is nice but you could remain indoors anywhere else.

McLovin

Rick Scott is probably the most hated political figure in the country.

I thank him for actually assuring a democrat will finally become governor of this dumb state again.
Theres a reason people call Florida a dumb state. You might be disappointed.

LM4sure

Banned
1st no bullet train now this.... Fuck you buddy

LOL, that was probably one of the few things he actually did right!!! A fucking bullet train from Orlando to Tampa?? Completely unnecessary. I'm actually thrilled he turned that money down.

gcubed

He will be prosecuted right? How else does the federal government in America force laws on states?

the federal government will just set up the exchanges for him, but he doesnt need to expand medicaid if he doesnt want money.

Although i would assume Gov's can't unilaterally turn it down, they would need their senate

Wazzim

Banned
the federal government will just set up the exchanges for him, but he doesnt need to expand medicaid if he doesnt want money.

Although i would assume Gov's can't unilaterally turn it down, they would need their senate

Ah alright, thank you.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
LOL, that was probably one of the few things he actually did right!!! A fucking bullet train from Orlando to Tampa?? Completely unnecessary. I'm actually thrilled he turned that money down.

What? Imagine all the jobs it would have provided, plus the state would barely have to pay for any of it. Plus the commute between Tampa and Orlando is one of the largest in the state. It would have helped encourage a national transit system like many other large countries. It would have room to expand to further parts of the state and even other states. It would have cut down on emissions from all the cars it would be taking off the road.

There are so many pros to that thing that I am inclined to believe you voted for Rick Scott based solely on you lack of education on the proposal.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Why do Americans hate the Government trying to make their lives better?

NHS for life!
republicanshate it when democrats improve their lives. Romney's plans for Obamacare are babasically to keep everything and relabel it and Republicans love it.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Way to go Florida. You got yourself a real piece of work here with Scott.

Defrauded the government to get rich.

Wants to live people without insurance over politics.

Vote purge list 98.4% wrong.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Republican party is totally gone, huh? They need to change the name and just admit it. At least that way normal republicans could reclaim the brand and start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom