• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida governor Rick Scott: We won't comply with health care law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Why do Americans hate the Government trying to make their lives better?

NHS for life!

They don't. They just do whatever the corporations tell the politicians to rile them up about. Most of this energy to self-defeat is grounded in fear, stupidity and racism. 99% of the people most passionate about this issue literally have no fucking clue what they are talking about.

FyreWulff

Republican party is totally gone, huh? They need to change the name and just admit it. At least that way normal republicans could reclaim the brand and start again.

Pretty much. Coming from a dude that used to be a former Republican, the party is now essentially someone else dancing around inside the skin of the GOP.

They should just rename themself the Fundamentalist Party. Because that's what they really are now.

"I'm going to turn down this FEDERAL GOVERNMENT MONEY for healthcare because I'm so STATES RIGHTS" - every Republican governor

*accepts tons of federal money in farming subsidies* - every Republican governor

Vire

Fucking Rick Scott.

God damn crook.

None of us in South Florida wanted this asshole. Thanks Northern Florida.

Buzzati

Banned
LOL, that was probably one of the few things he actually did right!!! A fucking bullet train from Orlando to Tampa?? Completely unnecessary. I'm actually thrilled he turned that money down.

At first the federal government would have paid for 1/2 of the Orlando->Tampa segment. Then they offered another $800 million to about 2/3rds of it. That's free money to sponsor the growth of what would be considered an infant industry in America in one of the best trial areas in the country (not too congested/alternative routes available/high demand for public transit/long distance). There is absolutely no excuse.

FyreWulff

At first the federal government would have paid for 1/2 of the Orlando->Tampa segment. Then they offered another $800 million to about 2/3rds of it. That's free money to sponsor the growth of what would be considered an infant industry in America in one of the best trial areas in the country (not too congested/alternative routes available/high demand for public transit). There is absolutely no excuse.

In the ideal current-Republican-party world, not even the HIGHWAY would exist. The only feasible way to cross the country would be flying. And then they'd ban the FAA so half the time you'd crash and die.

You have to think long-term investment. The HSR connecting Orlando to Tampa would eventually construct and connect more HSR across the states and country.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

FyreWulff

You have to think long-term investment. The HSR connecting Orlando to Tampa would eventually construct and connect more HSR across the states and country.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

People don't believe in long term plans anymore :( Like I said, these same people today would shoot down the highway system. Now look at how many people and companies depend on the interstate system.

We need a form of transportation that moves faster than a Greyhound but doesn't have the drawbacks of a plane.

gabbo

In the ideal current-Republican-party world, not even the HIGHWAY would exist. The only feasible way to cross the country would be flying. And then they'd ban the FAA so half the time you'd crash and die.

The highway would exist, it would just be the Coca-Cola 405 or P&G I-95 (or whatever nomenclature the US uses to designate highways).

bengraven

Oh fuck him.

A state with extreme poverty and thousands of elderly with pre-existing conditions.

Why doesn't he just say: "Nah, fuck the people of Florida".

.GqueB.

Banned
I find it so bizarre that he can come out and say this type of thing. "I'm not listening to my President... FUCK him." This is like the norm in some strange way. Does this seem completely different to anyone else as compared to the last few Presidencies?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well, Rick Scott has Jesus on his side. Jesus totally would have said hell no to tax increases to provide care for the most needy. Jesus wasn't about helping no poor, yo.

I'm agnostic now, but the Jesus we read about at Catholic school would be the exact opposite of the Republican party these days.

I find it so bizarre that he can come out and say this type of thing. "I'm not listening to my President... FUCK him." This is like the norm in some strange way. Does this seem completely different to anyone else as compared to the last few Presidencies?

Yes.

There was always calling the president out but I don't remember this much kicking and screaming over a law.

Eidan

Yes.

There was always calling the president out but I don't remember this much kicking and screaming over a law.

It's also been a long time since we've had a law that was this much of a BFD as Biden would call it. The most recent example I could think of are the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act, and both faced stiff Southern opposition.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Governor_George_Wallace_stands_defiant_at_the_University_of_Alabama.jpg

YoungHav

Banned
This is kinda funny and sad.
I love Florida. The more times I visit, the more positive I am that I would move there in a second if my wife let me.

Florida, like all states, will eventually comply with the law the exact day they realize what they're missing out on. There's no reason or them to commit now while a new president is being decided and their poll numbers would get hurt.
I dunno if I can go from the godless liberalism of Manhattan to a southern state like FL. And there's a fucked up story on FL at least 2-3x a week here.

Kettch

Scott told Fox News the Medicaid expansion would cost Florida taxpayers $1.9 billion a year, but it's unclear how he arrived at that figure.

I doubt he'll expand on it any, considering the federal government is paying for 100% of the expansion for several years, and then 90% of it after that. Compared to the 57% funding the government gives for the current Medicaid program.

Sianos

Florida New Cuba might be a hotbed of corruption, shit, and awful weather, but it's MY hotbed of corruption, shit, and awful weather.

Also, Disney World, bitches!

Piggus

I'm inclined to agree between the things I hear and the time I've spent there.

I've never visited Florida and yet I hate it, along with most of the South. That part of the country is like having a relative who constantly makes a big scene in public. It's fucking embarrassing. I know there are some really awesome places in the southern states but the lack of progression gives me no desire to go there.

cousins

I've never visited Florida and yet I hate it, along with most of the South. That part of the country is like having a relative who constantly makes a big scene in public. It's fucking embarrassing. I know there are some really awesome places in the southern states but the lack of progression gives me no desire to go there.

South Florida isn't really "The South," it's problems derive mainly from the fact that the Panhandle is, and that Tallahassee (a city on the edge of the Panhandle) makes a lot of the state's decisions.

Piano

Banned
Hey FL gaffers, could Scott hand the state to Obama in the fall if he's so unpopular there?

Yes. Most of the Florida population across ALL political viewpoints hates Rick Scott. I believe he has the lowest approval rating of any state governor.

He's a fucking idiot and I'm tired of his idiotic, hyper partisan bullshit policies. He's moved down the checklist of every fucking stupid thing the GOP wastes time worrying about and has had all of them fail spectacularly. A program to drug test all welfare recipients cost the state much more money than it saved because the welfare recipients (SHOCKING) have a rate of drug usage BELOW the national average. The whole campaign to purge voter roles in order to combat non-existent voter fraud has resulted in more incorrect identifications than correct purges. Both are being challenged in court because they're they're quasi-legal idiocy at best.

His time in office has accomplished nothing and wasted tons of tax payer money. Florida hates Rick Scott. Last I checked Obama was polling well ahead of Romney in the state - I'm sure the two are related.

South Florida isn't really "The South," it's problems derive mainly from the fact that the Panhandle is, and that Tallahassee (a city on the edge of the Panhandle) makes a lot of the state's decisions.
Tallahassee is very liberal. The rest of the panhandle is not.

JGS

Banned
I dunno if I can go from the godless liberalism of Manhattan to a southern state like FL. And there's a fucked up story on FL at least 2-3x a week here.
My visits there tell me that most of the metropolitan areas are at best fair weather Christians. They are likely mostly religion given the number of churches I see, but I fail to see an agenda. Statewide, it's an obvious issue. Honestly, I get the distinct air of hedonism in Florida cities. There's simply too much to do.

It helps that I live in a fairly liberal section of a Bible Belt state. In Lexington, you can do literally anything without being chastised. Heck the gay pride festivities this weekend have been humongous. So I see and understand the mix. Ditto with Atlanta.

cousins

Yes. Most of the Florida population across ALL political viewpoints hates Rick Scott. I believe he has the lowest approval rating of any state governor.

He's a fucking idiot and I'm tired of his idiotic, hyper partisan bullshit policies. He's moved down the checklist of every fucking stupid thing the GOP wastes time worrying about and has had all of them fail spectacularly. A program to drug test all welfare recipients cost the state much more money than it saved because the welfare recipients (SHOCKING) have a rate of drug usage BELOW the national average. The whole campaign to purge voter roles in order to combat non-existent voter fraud has resulted in more incorrect identifications than correct purges. Both are being challenged in court because they're they're quasi-legal idiocy at best.

His time in office has accomplished nothing and wasted tons of tax payer money. Florida hates Rick Scott. Last I checked Obama was polling well ahead of Romney in the state - I'm sure the two are related.

Tallahassee is very liberal. The rest of the panhandle is not.

Tallahassee is not liberal, FSU students are. And, while I guess the area's more liberal than the rest of the Panhandle, I'd hardly call it liberal compared to anything outside of the South.

Skytylz

Banned
I know Federal law > State law. I can't fill the blanks in though. I'm guessing Rick Scott will cave eventually and is just making a show, but if he continued to refuse I'm not sure what kind of action would be taken so that's why I asked.

I'm pretty sure if a state actively resists a federal law they can lose federal funding. That'd probably only happen in extreme circumstances and if Rick went far enough I suppose that could happen.

Link

The Autumn Wind
All this thread has taught me (since I already knew Rick Scott was a terrible governor) is that there are plenty of South Florida Gaffers and we need to get the ball rolling on a meetup.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Remember kids: In America, wealth is more important than health.

entremet

What's with these brash Republican governors?

Not taking stimulus packages or Medicare funding? Do they know that there constituents pay into these programs via taxation? At least let them get their money's worth.

thatbox

Banned
What's with these brash Republican governors?

Not taking stimulus packages or Medicare funding? Do they know that there constituents pay into these programs via taxation? At least let them get their money's worth.

States like Florida, Texas and Louisiana leech more than they contribute. This is just a principled stand for fiscal responsibility! They'll keep the country solvent even if it kills them! (Well, not them, obviously. But thousands of those diabetic poors, surely!)

KevinCow

Banned

It's hilarious, because republicans would frequently call people un-American for disagreeing with Bush. Because it doesn't matter if you agree with him or not, he's our president, you have to respect him!

Then Obama was elected, and shockingly, the rules changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom