• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For some reason someone is making a Garfield movie; you'll never guess who voices Garfield

Editaur

Would look a lot better if they added just a tad of shine/reflection in the eyes.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I will always think those 80s Garfield holiday specials are some of the best you can watch (especially Halloween), and some of the older comic strip book collection were funny and amusing, but man...ever since Lorenzo Music passed away, it's like they stripped the soul of what made Garfield stuff funny. You'll never get the jokes the old cartoon had where Garfield would literally say certain people should be drug out into the street and shot, I miss when things could be darker in children's entertainment.

MrA

whoever okayed this should be drug out into the street and shot
(the 80s garfield cartoon would never in a million years be produced today)

DKehoe

Chris pratt being attached to this was announced around years ago around the same time he was set to play Mario
I was thinking I remember hearing that this was a thing a while back. Glad I'm not just imagining Chris Pratt castings.

GymWolf

My feeling about pratt made a complete 180°, from loving him in parks and recreation to not standing the guy at all after the major success.

Valonquar

If there's one small comfort in my life, it's that Bill Waterson has a lifetime NO THANK YOU on animating Calvin & Hobbes.

Just don't understand why "big" Hollywood talent has to be cast in movies where children, who don't know who the hell they are, will be watching.

I have often wondered the same and my only guess is that it gives the movie some legitimacy for parents that are possibly on the fence of taking their kids to see it. You would think actual voice actors would be better suited for something animated but I'm sure it boils down to money like everything does.

I have often wondered the same and my only guess is that it gives the movie some legitimacy for parents that are possibly on the fence of taking their kids to see it. You would think actual voice actors would be better suited for something animated but I'm sure it boils down to money like everything does.

I can only speak for myself, as a parent I couldn't care less who voices the cartoon character and I'm certain my kids couldn't either. I just think hiring big name talent for kids movies is just taking work from actors that actually need it.

BlackTron

Garfield was never supposed to be able to talk.

When I was a kid I really liked some of the cartoons where he had a voice. Though, his mouth never moved. In retrospect, I wonder if he was just thinking/narrating to himself the whole time, even when "talking" to other characters. Achieving the same thing as the thought bubbles. But it was 30 years ago IDK

Dural

Just don't understand why "big" Hollywood talent has to be cast in movies where children, who don't know who the hell they are, will be watching.

It was something Dreamworks and other non-Disney animation studios started doing to compete with Disney. Disney never really used big names until more recently.

As for Chris Pratt, I've loved him since Everwood so you all can get bent with your hate boner.

-Minsc-

To attract investors?

Back to Lorenzo.

Ikutachi

When I was a kid I really liked some of the cartoons where he had a voice. Though, his mouth never moved. In retrospect, I wonder if he was just thinking/narrating to himself the whole time, even when "talking" to other characters. Achieving the same thing as the thought bubbles. But it was 30 years ago IDK
Yes, that's what it was.

It was something Dreamworks and other non-Disney animation studios started doing to compete with Disney. Disney never really used big names until more recently.

As for Chris Pratt, I've loved him since Everwood so you all can get bent with your hate boner.

I like him just fine. Just don't see a need for big names in animated movies.

-Minsc-

Ten minutes in, this is quite something. I'm compelled to watch it all even though I'm 99.999999% certain there is no actual substance. It's that 0.000001%. GAF lacks the proper reaction emoticon. All I can think of is this.

mEjfiOl.png

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I will always think those 80s Garfield holiday specials are some of the best you can watch (especially Halloween), and some of the older comic strip book collection were funny and amusing, but man...ever since Lorenzo Music passed away, it's like they stripped the soul of what made Garfield stuff funny. You'll never get the jokes the old cartoon had where Garfield would literally say certain people should be drug out into the street and shot, I miss when things could be darker in children's entertainment.
The Melendez and later on Film Roman Garfield productions were Davis' first mainstream attempt to merchandise the character. For each pilot, he'd sit on the producer board for the TV specials. Roman did pitch a film to Disney "Garfield's Judgement Day" which isn't as 'dark' as Youtubers make it out to be (there's a book). Disney turned it down as they were busy pushing out the Little Mermaid and minimizing 3rd-party outsource films (which really started in 1987). At any rate, the best animated feature of Garfield was "His 9-Lives." Nothing before or after that ever reached the same quality. It wasn't just Lorenzo music but the fact they could get Ed Bogas to keep scoring the films, they outsourced but under strict direction from Roman and didn't really dip again until Garfield and Friends (which came out about the same time). Garfield & Friends has its nostalgia following but animation fans caught the mistakes so frequently, that they had to make an entire episode sarcastically pointing out their own animation flaws. Btw, that was all Wang studios that goofed up the animation for the TV series.

People may not want to hear this but Jim Davis actually rendered the character model sheets for the first awful 3D Garfield movies in the 2000's. His idea (even prior to selling Paws) was to use animation as a means to better merchandise Garfield. In a way, he's a business genius as there were much worse contenders people were trying to sell off merchandising for.

To OPs movie post. Pure garbage. Sorta like the G & F days of the late 80's/early 90's; QC was sucked out of every later TV iteration and they've really only kept making films to further merchandising under the new New York ownership. I'm in my 30's, so I'm unsure why any adult is watching these movies. People should have taken a hint to leave Garfield with their childhood (although, I can understand someone who kept the original comics made till about 92). The comics even started to suck after that (FYI -- Davis' stopped independently making the strips aside from story & rough draft in about 1988).

Top Bottom