• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 horror movies that feature some of the best openings I've ever seen

angrod14

Horror is a mistreated genre. But every now and then you can find jewels that stand out and prove it can provide an experience no other type of movie can, while also having so much artistic merit and cinematic flair.

Today I wanted to discuss 3 examples that, to me, feature not only some of the best openings in the genre, but in general cinema.

3. IT COMES AT NIGHT (2017). Dir.: Trey Edward Shultz.

Throwing the audience right into the middle of a situation, and without an ounce of exposition, the opening to this film already shows you everything you need to know to get into the story. You deduce many things right from the start without the characters having to explain a single thing: there's a widespread disease or infection, and it's evidently incredibly dangerous and letal, to the point people have to put down their silblings and even burn their bodies afterwards. The scene is brutal in its minimalism, as you simply witness someone having to accept her dying grandfather being killed in such a violent and inhuman manner. Flawless acting and photography, with no CGI, no try-hard bullshit, no jump-scares. Just something that, for all we know, could've been filmed in a backyard.

2. 28 WEEKS LATER (2007). Dir.: Danny Boyle.

While the rest of the film was made by another director, to my understanding Boyle directed the opening.

The first time I watched this, I felt my heart was pumping so hard it was going to go through my chest. Absolutely incredible set up and execution. But what really elevates the scene is the moral dilemma it presents when Carlyle's character abandons his wife. A split second decision between his own life and his loved-one. The flight response kicks in, he runs, watching her get brutalized while seeing him not even trying to save her. The movie doesn't try to make him a hero, it shows him human. Could he have done something else? Should he have fought for her and at least die with dignity instead of living with the burden? Was he a coward or pragmatic? How would YOU have reacted?

1. MIDSOMMAR (2019). Dir.: Ari Aster.

A shame the first minutes are missing in this clip because they really set the tone. Anyways, the rest of the movie I could take or leave, but man there's no denying that opening. The moaning, the camera slowly following the hose and the firefighters as you try to guess what happened. The murdered parents, the face reveal. Pugh's gut-wrenching portrayal of grief is the stuff of nightmares, and then the title reveal in the snow. This is how you fucking do it, THIS is how you open a movie. Aster at the peak of his powers.

Last edited:

angrod14

It Comes At Night is one of my favorites! It gets so much hate from idiots saying "Nothing came!" Midsommar was all down hill after the murder/suicide.
Great film that doesn't underestimate its audience. It was probably poorly marketed as a "monster" type of movie. Same thing happened with Drive (2011), people were in expecting an action movie and they were met with an art-house thriller.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Great film that doesn't underestimate its audience. It was probably poorly marketed as a "monster" type of movie. Same thing happened with Drive (2011), people were in expecting an action movie and they were met with an art-house thriller.
The final scene with the parents sitting across from each knowing everything is fucked is just a real gut punch. I'm a firm believer all horror movies should be feel bad movies.

Doom85

It was probably poorly marketed as a "monster" type of movie.

To be fair, it‘s hard to make a 1-2 minute trailer show the movie’s theme of paranoia being the true enemy. And even if they did, I feel they’d have to include scenes that would give too much away.

Honestly, I feel the title is the bigger issue. Given It Follows only came out two years prior, and It Chapter 1 came out the same year as this film, calling your movie “It Comes at Night” will inevitably make the audience think a monster of some kind will be a threat. I don’t think the marketing team could do much with the trailer convincing people otherwise when the title itself will inevitably set people’s expectations a certain way.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
To be fair, it‘s hard to make a 1-2 minute trailer show the movie’s theme of paranoia being the true enemy. And even if they did, I feel they’d have to include scenes that would give too much away.

Honestly, I feel the title is the bigger issue. Given It Follows only came out two years prior, and It Chapter 1 came out the same year as this film, calling your movie “It Comes at Night” will inevitably make the audience think a monster of some kind will be a threat. I don’t think the marketing team could do much with the trailer convincing people otherwise when the title itself will inevitably set people’s expectations a certain way.
Just that fact that it was an A24 film should have been a give away that it wouldn't be your typical "jump scare/evil will be defeated in the end" type of horror film

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The credits/intro to the little seen 1987 film Retribution has one of the best openings in horror history for my money.

I was going to describe it in detail but thanks to the magic of the internet, here's the entire thing on Youtube! Enjoy.

Music is by frequent John Carpenter collaborator Alan Howarth.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I'm probably going to be laughed out of this thread, but the original Scream immediately came to mind. Drew Berrymore was kinda a big name back then. She was all over the movie posters, and marketing materials for the movie and no-one expected her to be killed off in the opening scene. She was supposed to be the lead of the movie but scheduling conflicts reduced her role to victim number 1. Regardless, it really payed off and set the "no one is safe" tone for the franchise going forward.

Also Jaws ... the goat.

Last edited:
Jaws - (1975)

Seeing that opening with the actress being eaten alive in the water. Screaming for God to save her! Most people had never seen anything that intense in the cinema. Before you’ve eaten a few handfuls of popcorn you’re witnessing a traumatic event.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
How was this one not posted

Also, 28 weeks later usually gets all the love, but I want to shoutout the original, 28 Days Later

Directly inspired The Walking Dead opening also

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Speaking of 28 Weeks Later, what a fucking fantastic intro that was, OP angrod14 angrod14 , if you want to see more like it, I highly recommend checking out SEASON 2 of BLACK SUMMER on Netflix. You can straight up skip season 1 and hop right into season 2. I think every zombie fan needs to watch at least the first 10 minutes.

Its basically like they took the opening of 28 Weeks Later, and made an entire show of with that type of cinematography and chaos - Season 2 as a whole... I think is the best zombie action ever on a screen. Big or small. Loved the hell out of it.

Doesnt get the right amount of praise in the horror community, massively slept on

tommib

I hated Midsommar but the intro was indeed messed up.
I did like it but I agree that it peaks during that whole sequence before the title. It’s almost a separate shortcut inside the main film.

The opening of The Exorcist in Iraq will always freak me out. The whole vibe of it is just demonic.

clekQBr.jpg
UnEqody.png
StgHIVX.jpg
638d7eo.jpg

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Horror is a mistreated genre. But every now and then you can find jewels that stand out and prove it can provide an experience no other type of movie can, while also having so much artistic merit and cinematic flair.

Today I wanted to discuss 3 examples that, to me, feature not only some of the best openings in the genre, but in general cinema.

3. IT COMES AT NIGHT (2017). Dir.: Trey Edward Shultz.

Throwing the audience right into the middle of a situation, and without an ounce of exposition, the opening to this film already shows you everything you need to know to get into the story. You deduce many things right from the start without the characters having to explain a single thing: there's a widespread disease or infection, and it's evidently incredibly dangerous and letal, to the point people have to put down their silblings and even burn their bodies afterwards. The scene is brutal in its minimalism, as you simply witness someone having to accept her dying grandfather being killed in such a violent and inhuman manner. Flawless acting and photography, with no CGI, no try-hard bullshit, no jump-scares. Just something that, for all we know, could've been filmed in a backyard.

2. 28 WEEKS LATER (2007). Dir.: Danny Boyle.

While the rest of the film was made by another director, to my understanding Boyle directed the opening.

The first time I watched this, I felt my heart was pumping so hard it was going to go through my chest. Absolutely incredible set up and execution. But what really elevates the scene is the moral dilemma it presents when Carlyle's character abandons his wife. A split second decision between his own life and his loved-one. The flight response kicks in, he runs, watching her get brutalized while seeing him not even trying to save her. The movie doesn't try to make him a hero, it shows him human. Could he have done something else? Should he have fought for her and at least die with dignity instead of living with the burden? Was he a coward or pragmatic? How would YOU have reacted?

1. MIDSOMMAR (2019). Dir.: Ari Aster.

A shame the first minutes are missing in this clip because they really set the tone. Anyways, the rest of the movie I could take or leave, but man there's no denying that opening. The moaning, the camera slowly following the hose and the firefighters as you try to guess what happened. The murdered parents, the face reveal. Pugh's gut-wrenching portrayal of grief is the stuff of nightmares, and then the title reveal in the snow. This is how you fucking do it, THIS is how you open a movie. Aster at the peak of his powers.

28 Weeks Later... it was a good intro. For sure. I just think it falls flat in its entirety, when compared to the first movie.
Midsommar, I enjoyed the acting and the story. It was a compact story that got the job done, but unfortunately, it's one of those movies that loses its "Punch" after the initial viewing. First viewing was like "WTF" however. Good stuff.
It Comes at Night was something I always meant to watch, but, just didn't get around to it. This thread has changed that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom